Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 17:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Roasted Pecans

This makes a really tasty snack. Just remember...a serving is 1/4 cup, not the whole batch!

1 lb. pecan halves
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
few drops tobasco sauce

Heat the oven to 275 degrees and place pecans on a flat baking sheet (a pizza pan worked well for me here). Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes or until deep brown. In a medium mixing bowl, melt butter in the microwave and add seasonings. Stir to combine. Stir in nuts until well coated and enjoy!

I found little packets of chex mix seasoning at the store and this worked well too...just follow the directions on the package for mixing up the seasoning and put it on the nuts instead of all the cereal that the recipe usually calls for.

I suppose this could be changed around to suit your tastes using different combinations of seasonings or even using Splenda and cinnamon (I plan to try that version for holiday treats).

After subtracting fiber....2 grams of carb per 1/4 cup serving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: generalized LC
Stats: 235/193/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default My Fav and Easy Pecan Snack

I LOVE pecans, and have been using a few of them for a snack most days. But last night I sliced a piece of sharp cheddar (1/4 to 1/8"), and pressed in onto about 6 pecan halves. It was delicious. Like a cheeseball, but severly easy to make a small treat in seconds.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 23:36
Registered Member

Plan: generalized LC
Stats: 235/193/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default BTW

Pecans are sooo much better roasted. I like to just roast up a whole bag of them. Then I put them in a baggie so I can grab a few when I need them.

They are also quite acceptable toased in the microwave if you are in a hurry.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 01:40

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Pecans are great!

I love these and there are some recent studies that showed reduction in heart disease risk when men added a small amount to their daily diet...though I must say, the effect probably wasn't specific to Pecans, but the effect of adding an extra shot of "good fat" to the diet and the likelihood that the Pecans substituted for other high carb snacks.

I also look for opportunities to add Pecans (as well as Pecans and Hazelnuts) to other fare...sprinkle on salads, nut-crusting meat, etc. They make whatever you eat a little more satiating and reduce the cravings for starchy carbs...

Brian
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 01:34

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

oh wow, were these good! I had them for Thanksgiving and they were a BIG hit!

One thing that scared me, when I made them, was I had tears in my eyes fromt he fumes of the tobasco! I thought for sure they'd be too hot, but nope, they're just right!! Yummy yum yum!!!!!

thank you so much for this idea!

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/260/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Cinnamon/Splenda Roasted Pecans

I like roasted pecans too. Butter and salt was all we ever put on them growing up.

Lately, DH and I have enjoyed them with a little tiny bit of salt and then sprinkled with a cinnamon/splenda mixture. (I kept an old cinnamon bottle/shaker and mixed 1/2 cup of "spoonable" Splenda and 1 tablespoon cinnamon together and have that on hand already mixed up)

Good stuff!