Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: Keto - Started 1/3/13
Stats: 309/264/225 Male 72
BF:36
Progress: 54%
Default Lifting and muscle gains

I just have a quick question....

I am doing my 4 day workout routine that my buddy who is a personal trainer help setup for me...

Basicly its

Monday - Shoulders, Tri's
Tuesday - Trap's , Back
Wed - Off
Thrus - Legs
Friday - Chest + Bi's

Tue/Weds is Racqetball for cardio
Monday/Thurs is Bike/Treadmill for cardio

I think i will stick with this routine for 6 to 8 weeks then create a new one...

But my question is... Will I see a lot of fluctuations in my daily weight because of the extra water retention and or muscle buildup?

What is a realistic gain of muscle weight per week that i would expect from doing this.. I just want to try to calculate the fat i am loosing w/the muscle i am gaining.. I am also going to get measured so i can better judge this.. but i tend to weigh myself daily in the morning.. and this effects me cause i strive to loose more when i see it coming off... I just want to know what to expect so i dont get discouraged...

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 06:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I'm far from any type of expert...in fact I know next to nothing, but I haven't gained any from working out 5-6 days a week. I lift 3 days a week, do cardio and swim 5-6 days a week (I also do cardio and swimming on the days I lift).

On the other hand...I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, so it could be that is why I'm not noticing any gain.

Hopefully Nat and some of the others will have a more definitive answer for you...although my guess is that everyone is so individual there is no way to know how your body will respond to a certain routine in particular.

L
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 08:29
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi! I'm going to move your post to the general exercise forum where people may have more opinions.

My opinion is that you don't want to overtrain. You are working different things on different days.

You will want to make sure that you have adequate protein for muscle building and repairing and probably more carbs than Atkins Induction.

As you use muscles they will hold water to repair themselves.

You should concentrate less on the scale and take measurements.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:27
Registered Member

Thanks for moving the post over here...

But anyways... What should i use to measure myself and is there a "how to" on measuring... I would like to pick whatever i need up after work.. BTW what about fat calipers?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:49
Don't dream it be it

BF:

I've heard good things about fat calipers, but I've never used them myself.

I use a seamstress measuring tape and measure several places.

You could do chest, waist, hips (at widest point), upper thigh, knee, calf, ankle, upper arm and wrist.

Not sure about a how to. Try to be consistant about where you measure yourself. You can take 3 measurements and average them. Write them down and compare later. Monthly is good. I've been doing weekly (getting a little obsessive) but there is always a change. Sometimes one measurement is up while another one is down. Fat moves about. Muscles grow.

I'm not sure about a weekly muscle gain. I've done some calculations from Protein Power to figure out my lean body mass and body fat percentage. At the end of December my lean mass was 114. I rechecked March 11th and my lean body mass was 112. I started BFL (Body For Life) at the end of March. My lean mass is now 121 and I'm only on my 5th week. Weight has gone up and down a little but mostly stayed the same. However, I'm down another pants size.

I'm no expert but you can check out the stickies and see if there is more information for you, or try a search. Natrushka has made some very informative posts.

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:23

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/198/185
BF:
Progress: 68%

Your workout seems fine,, even though a lot of people say that you don't lose weight when you start weight training because of the muscle buildup, you likely can't blame that for the halt in the scale. Depending on your hormonal activity, your body can fluctuate 7 lbs within the same day. Exercising definitely increases your hormonal needs and will fluctuate your weight more.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:49
Registered Member

7 lbs wow..

One thing that is bothering me is i feel like i am outa energy towards my middle of my workout.. I was thinking of moving my cardio to after workout...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:04
Registered Member

Unless somone has a suggestion for some more pep

BTW anyone have some comments on my workout routine?

I am doing about 3-4 Exersizes Per Muscle Group... I mix it up with machine and free weights...

I do 4 sets ( 1 being a warmup for each muscle group)

And i stack or pyamid whatever the correct term is.. ( Add more weight each set, less reps)

Thanks guys

Last edited by Funbags : Tue, Apr-29-03 at 19:07.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 20:33
Registered Member

Anyone have some suggestions?

Since i have been a little bit sluggish since i started my heavier lifting + cardio.. And i was curious if anyone has some advice on how many calories + carbs i should be eating...

I read up a lot today.. slow day at work about glucamine and i am going to get it this weekend in powder form.. hopefully to prevent me looseing any muscle.. and of course help the soarness...

I really and not that hungy at all after eating 3 meals.. of moderate size.. i am adding in 2 more small snacks to try to keep the metab up.. Like some nuts, or a small salad..

as a example of my "sluggishness" i was just drained today after my 2nd game of raquetball in my league, and it made me loose my 3rd game to someone i know i can beat... but was just beat tired... I have been upping my sleep to 7-8 hours the last 4 days.. its hard though cause there is so much stuff to do so little time!!

Thanks again everyone!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 21:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/232/180
BF:44( a year a/32/15
Progress: 28%

I've been working out over a year with a trainer.At first I followed just the general lo calorie diet In a years time I lost only ten pounds(from 252 to 242)but I lost 12% bodyfat.I'm not sure exactly how many inches but I know I lost alot.My suggestion would be to go by measurements and not the scale.When you are working out the scale is useless.Also I just recently started the lo-carb(atkins)And I too and running out of steam in the middle of the work out I Split my work out into two parts cardio before work and weights after work.It seems to be doing well that way.I realize not everyone can go to the gym twice a day so if you can't try the weights first then the cardio.Good luck and don't give up I don't know how many times I literally had to drag my lifeless self to the gym.I always felt better afterwards now it is just part of my lifestyle.If you'd like any suggestions on your next workout routine I'd be happy to help ya my e-mail is **********

*edited, please do not post e-mail addresses, it is against forum rules. Use private messaging to share private information. Elihnig
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 23:00
Registered Member

Thanks!

Getting to the gym is usually not a problem, i enjoy it for the most part... expecially the RBall.. 2x a day would be tough. .although i may start running int he morning instead of cardio at the gym.. or biking.. i just got a mountain bike.. The best part i like about the gym is passing out on my pillow that night
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 12:27
Don't dream it be it

BF:

You may want to check out the sticky at the top of the exercise forum. A.M. cardio on an empty stomach.

I highly recommend it.

The supplement you want is L-glutamine. You can take up to 5 grams after a workout. I don't take that much though, I take 1000 mg morning and night and whatever is in my Designer Whey protein powder that I mix with whole milk yogurt for after my workout on lifting days.

For sluggishness you may need to up your carbs with more green veggies. You can also try a potassium supplement or use Nu-Salt on your food for extra potassium. Don't add potassium if you are on potassium sparing blood pressure medication though.

Less cardio can be better. Check out the low carb with BFL sticky Nat made at the top of BFL forum, too much cardio can result in your losing your muscle that you're trying so hard to build.

Beth
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 22:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/232/180
BF:44( a year a/32/15
Progress: 28%

My bad on the e-mail.I'm sorry bout that nothing like bieng new and messing up.Anyways I am not allowed to pm.I tried to pm you and apologize and it won't let me.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/264/195
BF:
Progress: 24%

Creatine will help

Last edited by Crazy : Sat, May-03-03 at 21:17.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 18:53
Don't dream it be it

BF:

When you have 25 posts you may use private messaging.

Beth