Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#121   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 22:35

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Just for the fun of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
MAN... you guys REALLY LOVE your veggies, apparently!

Dude, I'm with you!

Just as a reward to a very good year, I'm going to celebrate by going without veggies for an entire year!

356 days of culinary heaven baby!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 23:16
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quax
Let's see what science actually knows:

(bottom line: a) there was no single typical diet b) we know too little
Well, from reading this, it seems there was lots of meat/fat eating going on. Lots of "bang for the buck" activity. Yah, we don't know a lot, so are left to lots of theories. And I think the best theory so far is that cats are behind this whole mess!
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: neanderthin
Stats: 200/183/165 Male 5ft 10inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I tried the all meat diet for a few days and didn't like it. Too much will power. Life is too short to deny myself the wonderful taste of fresh fruit and piles of steamed buttered veges and crunchy roasted almonds and an occasional dark chocolate. I think I agree more with Neanderthin. Early man would have eaten a variety of things and would certainly never have used his will power to avoid an apple tree or a pear tree. He probably fell asleep under it with a full belly. Sorry Bear, your way is too spartan, I want to enjoy life a little more.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 05:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Early man would have eaten a variety of things and would certainly never have used his will power to avoid an apple tree or a pear tree.

Nor would they have had any concept of 'nutrition' as we think of it. I'm pretty sure that if they discovered that something tasted good and didn't hurt them, they ate it.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Just because there was non-animal food in the environment does NOT mean we ate it. It is pure logic that any animal that has the capabilities and opportunities to eat animals is going to do so. It is just a FACT that the higher up the food chain, the more concentrated nutrition there is. MAN... you guys REALLY LOVE your veggies, apparently!
So if we didn't EAT it, how did it get in our stools?
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 08:39
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I just want to say that I am highly amused The Bear chose an omnivore as his user name.

Great thread.
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Nor would they have had any concept of 'nutrition' as we think of it. I'm pretty sure that if they discovered that something tasted good and didn't hurt them, they ate it.

Or at least, if they did nutrition was defined as not starving.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 11:57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
So if we didn't EAT it, how did it get in our stools?
But you are referring to the stools of "hunter-gatherers" that came AFTER "hunters".

I think it is possible that we would have focused our energy on hunting game if it was available... and I think it was available for a long time. Only after the game began to get scarce did we resort to gathering as well. You have to remember that apples back in those days were about as sweet as the leaves on the same tree. How many times have YOU picked leaves off of a tree and eaten them? I am only saying that eventually we HAD to start eating everything we could to survive... then, we became "hunter-gatherers" and vegetation started showing up in our stools.

I don't know how many times I need to repeat this "theory"... and it is only a theory, just as your statements are only theories. And, if one adopts this theory, they still have to figure out WHEN we made the transition (different in different parts of the planet for sure). If it was real recent, then Bear is correct, and we have not been able to adapt. BUT, if it was much longer ago, then Bear is wrong and we have had time to adapt to SOME carbs in our diet. I agree that excess insulin is VERY damaging to our bodies. Just how much we can handle is up for debate. HUGE surges produced by eating straight sugar (from processed food) is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE as most of us will agree.

In "Life Without Bread" they point out that northern Europeans went through a recent ice age, and that they have only been eating non-animal food for the past 2000 years. I don't think that is enough time to properly adapt to this food. In other parts of the world, as the book does point out, there was longer time to adapt. The book does say we are in a transition to a new diet, but it makes clear that a lot of us cannot handle this new diet at this time.

TIME is the critical factor here. How much time have we been eating carbs, and how much time is it going to take to adapt? Although some would say we have been eating carbs all along. Some think we can eat no animal products (vegans) and be the healthiest. I don't have ANY answers (as Bear seems to think he does), but just find the possibilities intriguing.

And, I still think my cat theory deserves some serious consideration!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-01-06 at 12:02.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore (M&E)
Stats: 170/119/120 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Great Post!

I too seem to be experiencing more and more of an intolerance to fruits and veggies. How refreshing. I keep hearing that I must eat veggies, yet they leave me starving and hungry, and go right through me (sorry for the bad visual, lol).
--Elizabeth
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 12:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicgerry
I tried the all meat diet for a few days and didn't like it. Too much will power. Life is too short to deny myself the wonderful taste of fresh fruit and piles of steamed buttered veges and crunchy roasted almonds and an occasional dark chocolate. I think I agree more with Neanderthin. Early man would have eaten a variety of things and would certainly never have used his will power to avoid an apple tree or a pear tree. He probably fell asleep under it with a full belly. Sorry Bear, your way is too spartan, I want to enjoy life a little more.
I have to agree that if it becomes too difficult to eat like "theBear", then it is probably better (if only for your mental health) to eat non-animal foods. Which ones is what most people struggle with. The thing is, if one knows that they don't really NEED non-animal food, then they will only eat the ones they like, instead of forcing down veggies they hate (which I think a lot of us have done, just to "get all those good nutrients"). To me, that is the real theme of this thread (and most likely it's lure)... whether we really need non-animal food, or if it is truly optional.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-01-06 at 12:48.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 16:18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I'm pretty sure that if they discovered that something tasted good and didn't hurt them, they ate it.
So, with that logic, since taste is totally acquired, they would have eaten all grass, leaves, bugs, sticks, dirt, everything in the environment. Which, possibly they did... but, I still say it was only once the "good stuff" (the animals) got scarce. And, when I say "good stuff" I mean bang for the buck energy... far bigger concern to survival than "taste"! Right? Or are we still trying to justify eating chocolate cake?... since that is certainly in our present environment!

When you say "discovered that something... didn't hurt them", you must remember that it WILL hurt them if they get less energy from what they foraged than the energy it took them to forage it... they will die off in a hurry! I think that qualifies as "hurt them".

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-01-06 at 16:25.
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 16:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
far bigger concern to survival than "taste"!

Actually, from my POV this is more of an argument in favor of eating more than just meat; I doubt that any intelligent being would pass up edible food in favor of that which still must be hunted and killed (a tart but edible berry in the hand vs. two birds still alive, kicking and fleeing from you in the bush, if you will) and would likely have eaten both. I don't believe that our paleo ancestors were stupid or foolish. Food = survival. Easy food = greater chance at survival and less chance of going hungry. I also think that you are assuming that our paleo ancestors had absolutely no sense of curiosity so that having witnessed another animal eat berries, grasses, tubers or seeds they would not have wondered to themselves, "I wonder what that tastes like or if it's good for food?"

Quote:
Or are we still trying to justify eating chocolate cake?... since that is certainly in our environment!

Well...if it was a choice between cake and starve, guess what I'd be eating? Besides, I don't know about your environment, but there isn't any chocolate cake in my immediate vicinity at the moment so if I wanted some, I'd have to go hunt for it. Having said that, I thought we were discussing what paleo peoples ate and I don't believe that scientists have found any fossilized chocolate cake remains or cake residue in petrified poop to date.
Another angle that I haven't seen considered yet is that none of us are living in the same environments (ie relatively pristine and unpolluted) as paleo people and so their biological oxidative stress would have been considerably lower than what we experience so eating the same diet while not living in the same environment may not necessarily equal the same results. So, even though my plan only allows me 30 grams of carb per day, I attempt to choose those highest in antioxidants to counteract that oxidative (free-radical generating) stress as best I can. Think of it as an insurance policy of sorts (something that our paleo ancestors also didn't have ).
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 16:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Taste is totally acquired? If that is the case, why can't some people seem to acquire the taste for veggies? Why does everyone, nearly univerally, crave sweets?

What makes you think they couldn't get energy out of a piece of fruit? We're very, very good at getting energy from carbs. So good in fact, that too many of them and we get fat. Voila, stored energy. Its a heck of a lot harder to store energy from protein and animal fats. Its almost impossible to eat enough of it to do that. Of course, in your version of Paleo-times, it rained meat every day from 2-4 in the afternoon so no one every had to miss a meal.
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 17:25
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
The false claim about carnivores eating the stomach and/or its contents is an ancient vegetarian hoax.
I've no doubt the vegetarians grasped at this as some sort of proof that vegetables are necessary in the diet, but the fact remains that ruminent upper GI contents are a good source of energy and nutrients - good enough to support an animal weighing over a thousand pounds!

Consider the fact that the purpose of digestion is to extract nutrients from food, and in order to do that, the food may need to go through considerable processing to make those nutrients available, and - especially in ruminents - to convert raw fibrous vegetable matter into something that is actually useful to the organism, namely fats and proteins. Recognizing this fact is hardly advocating for vegetarianism, since the only practical way for our H-G ancestors to get this material was to kill an animal that produces it. I further speculate that paleo people discovered that the GI contents could also be used to help preserve (pickle) meat, indeed this would have naturally happened if they used the stomach and gut to contain meat butchered off the carcass. Voila... the invention of sausage!

Quote:
No Inuit would consider eating the stomach of a prey animal as food.
Possibly few modern Inuit would. What about pre-modernized Inuit and other H-G cultures?
Quote:
Dogs won't eat it
The few times I've managed to catch my dogs in the act, the contents of the abdominal cavity were consumed first. We also occasionally feed our dogs lacto-fermented vegetables (they actually have their own pickle-jar on the counter) and it doesn't matter if we feed it with liver, eggs or anything, they go for the pickle first. Again, not advocating for vegetarianism, but speculating that carnivores may have an evolutionary reason for liking fermented condiments and vegetables dressed in short chain fatty acids.

Wyv
  #135   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I LOVE veggies. However my POV is that they are not necessary to sustain ones health. I really could not give a flying leap about what our ancestors ate though I am finding this discussion enlightening. I just know what works for me, keeps my blood glucose happy, my moods stable (and that makes DH and my 4 kids plus the 13 I teach happy) and my weight down. I can not argue with those results. I am impressed with the knowledge here though and will continue to read and follow it close...
Closed Thread