Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 19:29

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Betty,

My decision to pursue fitness as a very big part of my life isn't just from a desire to lose weight. . . in fact, losing weight has nothing to do with wanting to be fit.

If I could be fat and do all the things I want to, I would.

But proper exercise boosts fitness, corrects structural problems, and helps ensure a better quality of life.

I understand you wouldn't put yourself through what they did, and neither would I, but I don't want to discount what an inspiration it is to see people committed to achieve a goal do so.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 08:13
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

So I watched the reunion show last night. It was an interesting concept of the weight % and the body fat % lost. However, I think it might have been a bit skewed. Women obviously need to maintain more body fat than men to remain healthy - therefore focusing on % of body fat lost may not be the best thing. Especially for those that didn't have an overly high % in the first place. Bleh anyway - I can't believe how great everyone looked. It was definitely inspiring.
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 08:47
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

They did look great, didn't they?

I thought the men had an advantage too in that calculation, but I have to say, in the end, Dave had probably done the best job so I didn't have a problem with him winning. The only one I thought might have done better was Andrea. She did a fantastic job of getting pretty buff looking, she was obviously working out a lot!

Val
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

The only thing I didn't care for about the program, is elimination. Instead of voting to send a person home,ala "Surviver style" they should do something else.

Also, how fair is it, that one of the people who got voted off, won $100,000, but Gary, who came in 2nd, got nothing?
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 14:15

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

Jim,

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of a bite in the butt if you ask me. However, my outlook is that each one of them, at least the top 3, will get some kind of endorsement deal with a food company or exercise company. Look at some of the other things that people from realty shows have gone on to do. My God, Jared is a household name, and he ate Subs and walked. Look what these people have done.

It is my hope at least, that each one of them get some reward for doing what they've done. Not only are their results inspirational, they should each get cash for getting on the first episode and weighing in with their shirts off. That took some big , well you get the point.

I didn't start watching till the end, but I found it inspirational, and will watch it again next season. One of my guilty pleasures.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 15:02
Chaos in the flesh!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Anyone else think that some exec ordered a personality transplant for Ryan as it gradually became clear he would be the biggest loser? He was so obnoxious in some of the earlier episodes, lying to people about who he was planning to vote off, and revealing his deception in cruel ways. But in the finale he was the loving husband who needed to stop playing a game and letting his true warm-hearted self come out. Right.

Some people do change. Like he said, he went into it stone cold to not get attached to anyone - things do change- so do people's dispositions toward others when they get to know them.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 20:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 210/180/165 Female 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I watched it all season - usually on repeats, but by the end of the season I was Tivoing it on NBC. I really enjoyed it.

But I was not happy with the ending - for the reason Jim and EXlarge mentioned. I don't think it was fair and it left me with a bad feeling that neither Gary nor Kelly Min got anything (that I know of) and someone who got voted off earlier did. And I believe he had a lower percentage (though not by much). I understand that they wanted to show how they did when they thought they weren't doing it for money anymore, but still.

Anyway, I was hoping they'd announce that they were giving each of them Gary and Kelly) $50,000 or something. That would have been much better I think. I didn't hear that. But then I fast-forwarded through a lot of it because I was ticked.

#113   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 05:59
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I did not watch the whole series and as a matter of fact only saw 2 of the programs right before the final episode when some network was doing a weekend marathon of the old episodes.
By the time I saw them Ryan was OK personality-wise and I have no reference for the comments about his "bad" attitude. I can say that I have known "fat" people (and he was one of the fattest) that are defensive after years of learning to cope. I am not suggesting that was an excuse for him. I do not know him. But I do know people like him.
And 2nd, though many people were rooting for Moe (me included and I was damned proud for him when he won that race near the final episodes), I was surprised at how little weight he lost. I mean you hafta like a guy like him and feel for him...but many times those with a great deal of weight to lose can lose at a much faster rate (in pounds measured). When he was losing so little (relatively), I was just wondering about his food program. This is not a cut...this is coming from a guy who was bigger than him with a gimp leg barely able to do any exercise (and certainly not able to even get around that stupid track they did in a walk!)...and almost twice his age with as slow a metabolism as you can get who could out lose him without the fancy menus and exercise programs. Now I loved him. I just was disappointed in his progress COMPARED only to the others. I am proud of the health gains he made for himself.
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 15:48

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissa
So I watched the reunion show last night. It was an interesting concept of the weight % and the body fat % lost. However, I think it might have been a bit skewed. Women obviously need to maintain more body fat than men to remain healthy - therefore focusing on % of body fat lost may not be the best thing. Especially for those that didn't have an overly high % in the first place. Bleh anyway - I can't believe how great everyone looked. It was definitely inspiring.

I completely agree! Ever since they'd announced everyone was on their own and they'd be using weightloss% + fatloss% I was thinking it wasn't a good way of measuring. It was completely unfair to Mo. He would have had to lose 109 lbs to show a 25% decrease in weight%. And I understand it is possible considering Ryan lost 122lbs, but Ryan weighed 100lbs less than Mo to begin with. He was able to move better. And Lizzeth and Dana had no chance either. They both were only slightly obese compared to the others. There was no way either of them was winning the $100,000.
I'd be interested to see how a woman around 300-350lbs would make out in the competition. I hope they cast someone around that weight next season.
I think before season 2 they need to come up with a more fair way of ranking the players' weightloss.

Last edited by Athena123 : Thu, Jan-20-05 at 16:22.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 23:45

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Mo's reward is a new life. . . I don't think he's complaining.
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 08:12
Chaos in the flesh!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert199
Mo's reward is a new life. . . I don't think he's complaining.

They all have a new life - Gary's reward is 20 years given back to him - at the very least. I'm sure that they were all padded well with sponsor packages - maybe some more than others. When you participate in a reality show like that, there is compensation and many endorsement opportunities as well. But just check out how they look - and most importantly, how they FEEL!
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 08:24

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Some of them will probably have a chance to be on future reality TV shows as well, especially the single ones who reach their goal weight and look hot. I see a "Biggest Loser Bachelorette" coming up for Andrea or Kelly Min, or Aaron (not sure if he is single).
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 09:08

Stats: 264/245/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 17%

I stopped watching the show after Dana was outted. I am trying to lose weight and didn't want to psyche myself out for not losing 15 lbs in one week. (Believe it or not, I do think that way. hah) I only caught a couple minutes of the finale. I saw Dana weighing in and all I thought was she looks perfect. I don't think she needs to lose another pound. Lizzeth looked beautiful too. All of them looked great. I wonder how they'll do now that the cameras are gone?
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:04
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

maybe one will end up on surreal life.. hey it did wonders for flavor flav!!!! gotta love flav, but anyways...
I hope when biggest loser 2 starts they show pics of the originals so we can see if they maintained.