Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334/240/190 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 65%

Granted, but Vegetarianism and not caring for humans are not mutually connected I dont believe and correctly stated by you neither is hunting and holding life and death over something. I know people that dislike humans just because they do, they arnt vegetarians. And I know people that enjoy seeing animals killed but dont hunt. I also know people that are vegetarians because they think its healthier. The point is there is a little of everything out there and when someone says one thing they need to take into account that most of the time there is a polar opposite of that type of person they are complaning about. If there is a person that loves animals and hates humans there is going ot be a person who hates animals and loves humans. There are going to be people that love humans and animals and people that hate both. No one looks at the big picture. Everything is a special interest. Guns, Animals, Religion, even the atkins diet. There are two sides to everything.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:11

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I know people that dislike humans just because they do, they arnt vegetarians. And I know people that enjoy seeing animals killed but dont hunt.
You know some scary people, DEM.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:37

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

DEM,
I agree with you and that is why I have done Atkins the vegetarian way, one reason. The longer I am vegetarian, the more I find it is right for me on so many levels. I have been vegetarian since 1985 and would not give it up. It works for me. Concentrating on non starchy vegetables, soy meat substitutes and cheese and nuts and seeds makes it work for me. I am sorry you are doing this and feeling guilty. I admire your sensativity to the suffering of creatures. I know refraining from taking flesh and eggs has a positive effect on my life as well as a positive effect on the environment. Best of luck in seeking what is best for you. Thanks for sharing how you feel.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:40

BF:

mem2, thanks for your comments. May I ask why you consume dairy but not eggs?
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:53
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hmmm.. whatever happened to "to each their own"? (Seeing the thread has been moved to the War Zone)

Okay, I'll be militant. I wouldn't become a vegetarian because I love animals. I'd do it because I hate vegetables.

<exit, stage left>
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 20:39

BF:

Quote:
Okay, I'll be militant. I wouldn't become a vegetarian because I love animals. I'd do it because I hate vegetables.
Ba dum pum.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 23:52
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

[quote]For some reason or another vegetarians feel very little spiritual connection and loyalty to other humans. It's not that they value animals like normal people value humans, instead they just look at all life (including other humans) as equally unimportant and "there". Because they don't view people as special (as normal humans should), they just can't understand things regular people take for granted, such as why it is more morally wrong to kill a human than it is to kill a dog. This is a very scary prospect indead.

People are always surprised to learn adolf hitler was a vegetarian. I am not. I know that someone being vegetarian shows more that they are unempathetic, disillusioned, dispassionate, and do not value human life, more so than it shows they are compassionate people who value the lives of animals.[quote]

I almost fell off my chair reading this. During the roughly 5 years that I was a vegetarian, I went to many vegetarian events and gatherings. Some bordered on the militant, but mostly were social gatherings where the meals were vegetarian and the purpose was to socialize and connect with other vegetarians. I did not encounter the types of people that you mentioned, but I DID encounter many with the same narrowminded view point, except it was directed towards meat eaters - the point being that people who ate meat did not value life, that's why they 'ate the flesh of dead creatures'. Both points of view are totally ridiculous. How on earth can anyone judge if one values life or not by their diet? Harsh judgment is harsh judgment no matter what side it comes from.
P.S. It is a rumour that Hitler was a vegetarian, there are actually reports that his favorite food was a meat dish. He was known to be a very finicky man, with what he ate as well as sexually. You might want to do a little more research. Besides, you really think he wouldn't have commited the atrocities he did because he wouldn't eat a hot dog? I think he had some other serious issues going on.....
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 00:10

BF:

Heh never said they were my friends freckl I just know a few nutjobs that would do something like that. No wonder I didnt know the thread wasent dead, it moved so my subscription died.

That was funny, thinking of someone being a vegetarian because they wanted to kill vegetables. Getting mad while they ate and all that.

The guy that thinks vegetarians are heartless people haters....I wonder if he happens to be extremely religious. This isnt a bash on religion or anything so lets not start that but I noticed the more extreme religious types tend to lean that way.

Last edited by DEM : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 00:35.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 03:15
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Why would I feel bad for eating meat? That's what the animals are for!
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:22

BF:

Really? So I can come eat your dog? Or cat? I wouldent but you get my point.

And no one said you shouldent eat meat. Almost all of us here do. So tell me what you have against vegetarians? Looking at those annoying little things in your sigunature says it all heh.

Maybe you should worry more about what you eat and less about what other people think and eat. If all of those graphics are true you seem to actually care that people are vegetarians. If vegetarians that tell people they shouldent eat meat annoy you then arnt you equally as annoying because you tell people they should eat meat? Thats a serious question.

Last edited by DEM : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 08:40.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I try and "drive by" this thread, but I get sucked back in...lol.

I was just thinking, I should try an experiment. Much like SOME animal rights advocates picket and/or call for boycotts of parts of the meat industry, what if we low carbers all banded together and went out and spraypainted a few tractors during harvest this year?
Maybe carry signs that say "Wheat Kills" or get some naked celebrities to pose behind a nice brisket of beef?

(Note: this is inteded with tongue firmly in cheek)
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:00
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I haven't read most of this thread-afraid to.

Just wanted to tell ya Dem, I am also a vegetarian Atkins person. We are out there. I guess we are the fringe of the fringe.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEM
Really? So I can come eat your dog? Or cat? I wouldent but you get my point.

You ARE aware that in some cultures people DO eat cats and dogs, right?

Quote:
And no one said you shouldent eat meat. Almost all of us here do. So tell me what you have against vegetarians? Looking at those annoying little things in your sigunature says it all heh.

I happen to think that vegetarianism is ridiculous. It's an unnatural way of eating and unhealthy. But that's MY opinion and you did ask for my opinion.
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:16
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
You ARE aware that in some cultures people DO eat cats and dogs, right?

I happen to think that vegetarianism is ridiculous. It's an unnatural way of eating and unhealthy. But that's MY opinion and you did ask for my opinion.

It really isn't necessarily unhealthy. You just have to be careful. I have been one for years and I just watch what I put in my mouth. I have found Atkins to be the best way for me to be vegetarian actually.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:37

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%

Maybe we should all calm down and play PenguinBall!!

Click on the Abominable Snowman to start the penguin down the ice slide. When he is in range...swing.

Great stress reliever...something some in here could use.
Edited to add: My personal "best" right now is 1052.2!

*No actual penguins were harmed in the making and/or playing of of this game. Real land mines, pointy clubs, spikes and Abominable Snowmen can cause serious injury. Please do not attempt this at/on your home, the zoo, the slide with your friend Billy, or your personal ice-shelf. In reality, penguins can't fly, walk funny, and are cute.*

JFF

Last edited by JustForFun : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 13:12.