Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1006   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:12

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkorn
I agree low carbohydrates can cause weight loss, but I believe the are treating a symptom of the disorder leading to obesity and not its cause. The disorder results in a loss of blood sugar control, and low carbohydrate diets help with that, but this does not mean that carbohydrates cause the initial loss of blood sugar control. They also do not seem to restore the body's ability to handle carbohydrates.

Eating carbohydrate causes blood glucose to rise. That looks like an "initial loss of blood sugar control" to me. I fail to see why it doesn't look like that to you.
Sponsored Links
  #1007   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie
That is correct.
Carbohydrate consumption does not cause Diabetes.
The media keeps saying that the obesity and overeating in this nation is causing diseases like diabetes. It is the other way around.

One cannot eat themselves into Diabetes.

So what is diabetes then? Let's see. It's not contagious. It's not genetic since even the healthiest individuals develop it in later years. It must be environmental, i.e. outside the body yet not an infectious agent like bacteria or virus. I vote for whatever is most directly affected by diabetes: Glucose metabolism. Well then, if diabetes is merely the disruption of glucose metabolism, then I vote for glucose poisoning as the cause of this disruption.
  #1008   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:17
Registered Member

Plan: Why Diet & Exercise Fail
Stats: 230/180/180 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

You are not living up to this standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
If only the truth was a matter of opinion. Science, or the pursuit of truth, is not a debate. There are no sides. It's either the truth, or it's not. A reputable source doesn't make a claim true. One precept of science is to abandon the idea when the facts refute it. Statistics are not facts, they are merely a compilation of several facts put together to allow us to form an idea. This idea has yet to be tested, i.e. to find out if it's the truth. Several of your claims are based on statistics, i.e. not the truth but rather ideas that haven't been tested. Yet in all appearances, you make those claims with the same assurance as if they were true, i.e. that they were indeed tested and found to be the truth.

In other words, if the facts don't fit the idea, then you must abandon the idea.
  #1009   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: Why Diet & Exercise Fail
Stats: 230/180/180 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Diabetes is not occurring in Asian populations getting over 90% of their calories from carbohydrates. It didn't occur in the rural Thai that got 80% of there calories from white rice.

Quote:
Eating carbohydrate causes blood glucose to rise. That looks like an "initial loss of blood sugar control" to me. I fail to see why it doesn't look like that to you.
  #1010   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Diabetes is not occurring in Asian populations getting over 90% of their calories from carbohydrates. It didn't occur in the rural Thai that got 80% of there calories from white rice.

Reading a bit more on this so deleted my comment. Will add more in a few.

From http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...s/thailand.html on the Cornell study you quote. You really should read the whole page.

It can be argued that even among poor families, fat consumption is higher than the accepted 15% figure. The Cornell investigators made their own determinations of the amount of fat supplied by coconut milk, because "use of figures now available in food value tables, for coconut milks as prepared in Bang Chan, would lead to gross overestimate of caloric value and fat content of the diets." What an amazing confession!

---
MY comment -- it is pretty apparent that the researchers DID fudge the data a bit. They wanted to prove that the diet was low fat, but adding in the actual fat from coconut would have made the 85% carb comment false, so they just decided that the coconut fat was somehow different. And you are relying on this study to prove your point.

Last edited by tiredangel : Mon, Aug-03-09 at 07:34.
  #1011   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:23

BF:

Quote:
I was referring to the type of muscle development one gets from strength training versus running.

And I was referring to that which is used to build the body. So, it's the same thing whether it's a runner or a lifter: The diet will determine the body's structure.

First rule of bodybuilding: Eat more to grow, eat less to shrink. Notice it says nothing about type or exercise.
  #1012   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:26

BF:

Quote:

Let's not make it about me, please.
  #1013   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 07:28

BF:

Quote:

The data you rely on is incorrect.
  #1014   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 09:30

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Glucose is directly inflammatory...

THERE !!! This right there shuts down this thread. Glucose is inflammatory! So even if inflammation causes obesity, carbs causes the inflammation in the first place.

I don't understand why some people want carbs to be good at all costs and tries to make excuses for it. I'm not a real ZeroCarber like Martin, because I will eat some carbs from time to time for social reasons, but I do not try to make excuses for carbs.

There is absolutely no need to eat any carbs at all.

Patrick
  #1015   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 09:54

BF:

Quote:

I do not want to sound insulting, but I've read this whole thread and I don't think you live up to the standard either Daniel. Anyone can find studies supporting their viewpoints, it's just stats, it's barely useful. You can orient your scientific experiments with the help of these studies, but the studies themselves is not science. The process does not stop there.

Please no more stats. I propose that we cite real scientific experiments to support our arguments.

For example. Most studies that concludes against a high-fat diet forgets about this very important fact here: “The deleterious effects of fat have been measured in the presence of high carbohydrate. A high fat diet in the presence of high carbohydrate is different than a high fat diet in the presence of low carbohydrate.” -- Richard Feinman, PhD.

So please everyone, proper science is needed to resolve obesity. Let's drop the useless correlation studies and read up about the results of real well performed experiments.

Patrick
  #1016   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 10:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie
All food converts to glucose in the body...

This is just false. Most cells are perfectly ok with burning fatty acids directly. Most of the rest is happy with ketones. And the small amount that can only use glucose can indeed get it from gluconeogenesis of the excess protein and even a little bit (10%) from the glyceride part of Fat (triglyceride).

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html
Quote:
Not all cells in our bodies use the same fuel.

* Cells that can employ fatty acids are those that contain many mitochondria: heart muscle cells, for example. These cells can make energy from fatty acids, glucose, and ketones, but given a choice, they much prefer to use fats.
* Cells that cannot use fats must use glucose and/or ketones, and will shift to preferentially use ketones. These cells also contain mitochondria.
* But we also have some cells that contain few or no mitochondria. Examples of cells with few mitochondria are white blood cells, testes and inner parts of the kidneys; and cells which contain no mitochondria are red blood cells, and the retina, lens and cornea in the eyes. These are entirely dependent on glucose and must still be sustained by glucose.

This means that when we limit carb intake, the same energy sources must be used, but a greater amount of energy must be derived from fatty acids and the ketones derived from fatty acids, and less energy from glucose.

http://www.medbio.info/Horn/Time%20...rch%202007a.htm

Patrick
  #1017   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:04

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default You don't make yourself diabetic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Yes one can. I do agree that obesity is a symptom, and we overeat because we're getting fatter, not the other way around. But we can most definitely can and do eat ourselves into the diseases of the modern world.

Pollution probably plays a huge role. Dryer sheets probably do as well (I KNOW that sounds crazy, but there are xenoestrogens in dryer sheets that stay in our clothing and linens that we're in or on 24/7).

Overeating does NOT cause Diabetes, it can exacerbate it.
We see more Diabetes because we are able to diagnose it. There are many thin diabetics.
Overeating can be a symptom of Diabetes, as can obesity.
This is a horrid myth you push that Diabetics around the world are just astounded by. There are body builders, athletes, people who never ate a lot of garbage (me), people who exercised...who became diabetic.

This MYTH that
"if you took care of yourself, you wouldn't have Diabetes" is an awful lie because it blames the person who has the disease.

This is not alcoholism.

You have to understand what causes the pancreas to malfunction.

tudiabetes.com
  #1018   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:19

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
So what is diabetes then? Let's see. It's not contagious. It's not genetic since even the healthiest individuals develop it in later years. It must be environmental, i.e. outside the body yet not an infectious agent like bacteria or virus. I vote for whatever is most directly affected by diabetes: Glucose metabolism. Well then, if diabetes is merely the disruption of glucose metabolism, then I vote for glucose poisoning as the cause of this disruption.

Again, the body uses glucose as fuel.
Diabetes is a problem with the cells, not the glucose.
And yes, Adult Onset Diabetes is very popular.
Please read up on Diabetes.

go to www.tudiabetes.com
  #1019   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:21

BF:
Progress:

Quote:

A rise in blood sugar isn't always bad. It is HOW MUCH the blood sugar rises. Blood sugar rises in normal individuals after eating.
This is what diabetics try to control, because ours goes too high or too low. The pancreas is not working properly and sometimes, the beta cells become so bad off, insulin is needed.

Too much sugar is bad for a diabetic, because the body cannot handle it.
  #1020   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I was not saying the body can not use fatty acids as energy. I was not saying that everything first is converted to glucose, but we do need certain amounts of it.

This is what I have been trying to tell them.
When we eat proteins and fats, aka Low carb diet, it takes more to break them down into energy, hence we stabilize the blood sugar for a longer time. Hence a high protein meal will "stay with us" longer, and a Snickers candy bar will give someone that quick energy rush, but also will peak downward too.