Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-12, 21:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg

This is awesome!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 10:37
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

the quick start I use I think was an amalgam of something from Protein Power and something else. I wish I knew where it came from but I've been using it for years and it's been copied and re-typed so many times, who knows.

It's quick (hence the quick start), to the point, easy--all the things most people need to just get their pinky toe wet.

Quote:

Getting Started

Ø Determine your protein needs and plan your meals around the right number of grams of protein. Choose fish, poultry, red meat, lamb, eggs, tofu, lower-fat cheeses (such as cottage cheese, feta, and 3mozzarella). Be sure to get enough protein.

o Rule of thumb for protein requirements is ½ body weight= minimum # grams protein per day.

Ø Depending on your health needs and/or the amount of weight loss desired your carbohydrate needs can range from 30-100 grams per day.

o Remember, you can subtract the fiber grams from the total carbohydrate grams

o The majority of your carbohydrate needs should come from green leafy vegetables such as salads and cooked vegetables such as green beans, asparagus, broccoli, and cabbage etc.

Ø Choose lower glycemic fruits such as berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries), melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, casaba—not watermelon) small portions of apples and citrus. Stay away from tropical fruits such as bananas.

Ø Choose healthy fats such as olive oil, nut oils, avocado, and butter. Stay away from manufactured fats such as margarine, spray butters, hydrogenated fats and trans-fats.

Ø Aim for 25 grams of fiber each day

Ø AVOID foods made with flour or other grain products including, bread, pasta, muffins, chips, bagels, quinoa, oats, barely, rice; foods with sugar such as ice cream, cake, candy, caloric sodas and energy drinks, fruit juice, honey, brown syrup, agave, glucose, dextrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Ø AVOID junk food.

Ø Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day

Ø When in doubt, eat lean meat, fish, or fowl, and salad.

#78   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 08:44

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks! I see how quick and easy that is, and you and your clients are getting such fun results.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 20:28

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

cnmLisa, if I may be so bold as to suggest some edits to you great list.

First drop the fiber advice - see this post by Dr. Eades. Rather, (per the Eades response to the question "What ONE supplement would you suggest taking?" - that resulted in a whole NEW chapter in PPLP called the The Magnesium Miracle) substitute the following: Take a magnesium supplement, either magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, or magnesium aspartate. Start with two 200 mg tablets (or caps) breakfast and supper for a week. Add one more per day each week until your stools get loose, then back down to where you are regular.

Second add coconut oil to your fats list. AND add soy bean oil, corn oil, and vegetable cooking oil to the "stay away from" list.

PS
I shouldn't be posting this late - past my bed time and I miss things I should have said like;
Keep up the GOOD work.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 20:46
Every day is day one

BF:

Oh it just seems like I'm turning my hospital campus into a cult of low carbers....

Wins since my last post!!!

1. Remember the collegue who I gave PB awhile back (his daughter the vegetarian now PBr stole it). 2 weeks ago he came to me and said he was just sick and tired and he was ready to take the plunge. He's already a borderline T2 and really does not take well care of himself both with weight, diet, and his blood sugars. We started the conversation and one of the things that I impressed on him the most was that he had to start COOKING his meals. Well guess who has been LCing for a week (his plan was to start for Lent)....6 pounds down, feeling great, cooking his meals...it's a start. Every week I'll be giving him 2 pieces of information--a recipe a research article, a blog to read. I'm hoping this time will really stick for him.

2. One of the nurses who work on the floor stopped me today and said Lisa...you've inspired me. I've cut the carbs, increased the protein and fat, and look, I'm starting to get a waist back! Another one converted.

3. My office mate is struggling because of stress but still making better choices.

I printed off about 30 copies of the infomatic--"Carbs Are Killing You" and have included that in my patient packet.

Today I received the new edition of Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. Of course I didn't start at the beginning, but in the middle on the discussion of macronutrient effects and meal planning. I'll definitely be copying those for my patients. I'm really tempted to give a copy to out nutritionist/diabetes educator but I'm scared she'll slash my tires or put a hex on me

Larry--thanks for the suggestions, probably time to update the quick start.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 09:31
Every day is day one

BF:

I had a stealth win this week.

One of the nursing assistants who is morbidly obese came up to me and said....

"I've been following what you said since February 16th and have lost 16 pounds so far." Now let me preface this to say that I have NEVER had the "conversation" with her. She told me she heard me talking to one of the other nurses about LC and didn't want to butt in so she kind of was secretely listening. She isn't following a plan per-se, just cut out the most of the common offenders. She is hispanic and so her meals were heavily carb-laden. She said the first week was so hard but now, not so much and she's even been cutting the carbs when she prepares the family meals.

This one is definitely a stealth win--I didn't even have to talk directly to the person

Bruhahahahhah! Soon the whole hospital will be LCing.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 10:51

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

you are all going to drive the price of meat through the roof!
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 12:37

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

That is TERRIFIC news Lisa!!!!!!!!! Kudos to you!!!
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-12, 06:35

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

That's some powerful stealth mojo ya got there Lisa!! Congratulations (well, to YOU, of course..but more to the 'listeners' around you). It's their good luck!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-23-12, 17:19
Every day is day one

BF:

Another win in my pocket!

One of the meat-ladies that works behind the meat counter at the grocery store came running up to me almost shouting "2 months wheat-free and I can't believe the difference!" She went on to tell she is 15 pounds down and that the pain she normally has from arthritis is gone. GONE! She says that she knows that it's the wheat because she ate a little bit the other day, and the pain was back. This is a bit of a round about win---I've discussed this with her multiple times through out the years (4 to be exact) but it was my mother who said 2 months ago to her when she was at the meat counter--you know what Lisa would tell you...cut the wheat, cut the grains, cut the carbs. Now I've got my 77 year old mom out whispering the mojo

(Going back now to finish rendering 2 pounds of bacon ends--Laaaaarrrrrrddddd!)
  #86   ^
Old Thu, May-24-12, 10:53

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Woohoo!!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 22:07
Every day is day one

BF:

I had a win and didn't even know it until Monday!

The nurse that I have worked with retired in November and off and on I've been working with a new assistant.

Monday-- me, her, and a few of the other people were standing around talking about food, WOEs, diet etc. Everybody knows Im a LCr and when it comes to IR, PCOS, losing fat, I am the go to person in my office for patients.

My new assistant very quietly said that a couple of years ago she had a weight loss consultation with me regarding her IR and I gave her the information and resources for LCing--she started Metformin and started LCing and lost 100 pounds!!! WTF???!!!! She kept it off for awhile but over the past year or so she has put about half of it back on because she went back to her old habits. She told me she was going to start LCing again and finally figured out/accepts that she has to do this for life.

I'm totally behind her and was so frickn' impressed I was speechless (and you all know that is virtually impossible )

Holy frickn' moley--I helped someone lose 100 pounds!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 22:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/222/166 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Lisa you help a lot of people lose 100 lbs! Including me haha! Hope you can do it again I am just like your assistant!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 01:05

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I had a win and didn't even know it until Monday!

The nurse that I have worked with retired in November and off and on I've been working with a new assistant.

Monday-- me, her, and a few of the other people were standing around talking about food, WOEs, diet etc. Everybody knows Im a LCr and when it comes to IR, PCOS, losing fat, I am the go to person in my office for patients.

My new assistant very quietly said that a couple of years ago she had a weight loss consultation with me regarding her IR and I gave her the information and resources for LCing--she started Metformin and started LCing and lost 100 pounds!!! WTF???!!!! She kept it off for awhile but over the past year or so she has put about half of it back on because she went back to her old habits. She told me she was going to start LCing again and finally figured out/accepts that she has to do this for life.

I'm totally behind her and was so frickn' impressed I was speechless (and you all know that is virtually impossible )

Holy frickn' moley--I helped someone lose 100 pounds!

Where the heck is the "LIKE" button?
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Lisa, have you noticed a connection between LC and decreased arthritis pain? The research is mixed, but I bet many of the studies were flawed in how the described LC. I have OA but normal inflammatory markers -- obviously weight loss would help my knees, but just wondering if LC influences pain through some other mechanism. Anyway, just wondering what you have noticed anecdotally.

And great work with the patients!