Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 07:16

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
they arent protein bars.. they are candy/junk food bars. Just because they contain some protein doesnt make them healthy in my opinion. If they didnt contain any glycerine and/or other things that would stall people.. and werent sweet and caused cravings, then i would consider them more healthy. They are made to be sweet and taste good, which causes cravings in a lot of people.

Then those people that suffer the cravings or stalling should stay away from Atkins bars. Those of us that have neither of those problems can choose eat them sometimes. They don't taste that good but they are filling I find that if I eat an advantage bar, I am less likely to crave the stuff that other people eat around the office. They are also good after a work out or the gym, instead of other temptations or the bar.
I think people have different Metabolisms, I have a fast one (I gained 3 stone since last summer due to gallbladder removal and BC pill.)So maybe that is why I can eat this things and not stall. However if I eat more than one in a day, then I know I will get uncomfortable and that is too much. I crave nothing sweet for the rest of the day.

I think they are designed to fit in with a fast paced, busy life. As I said I think that though the Atkins diet may have changed somewhat it has changed with the times that we live in. I think it is a good thing, we are not all the same, we all have different body types and lifestyles. I think the reaction to the LC foods is a reflection of that.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 08:03

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslyn

It really amazes me that because there are many of us that are pro-whole foods/no excuse people that we're called judgemental, hyposcrits, cultists and making people outcasts because we believe that people can eat without ingesting the crap.

Please don't get me wrong. I also subscribe to the belief that whole foods are much better for us, and for the most part, I don't eat anything processed. I have been advocating for the protein bars, but I really don't eat them too often. What my message was referring to was not the message contained in people posts about whole foods being better, it is the way in which the messages are worded. There are people on this site who can be quite condescending and word their messages in a way that appears judgemental. That was all I was addressing in my previous post.....I'm sorry if it seemed like I was labelling a whole group of people.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 12:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Emmy207, you are my hero! You said everything I wanted to, and more eloquently too! I responded, twice, to these people who annoint themselves the "atkins police," but both times erased my response because it was nasty and I didn't want to stoop to their level. I have read enough of these types of boards to realise that sometimes, when people have little else going on in their lives, they glean some strange pleasure from belittling others around them. It's a pity, really, as it frightens some people away from asking questions. When you get down to it, though, loads of what these self-proclaimed "experts" have to say is hogwash. There was a thread recently (ironically by me originally!) about glycerin and so many people wrote to say how it doesn't stall them. Now all of a sudden, a bar with tons of vitamins and some glycerin is the devil. Whatever. And eating something that will cause me great physical pain like raw veggies is a better option? Spare me. People always have to have something to rage against, and if these people wish to rage against bar/supplement/whatever eaters who responsibly resort to those options instead of a candy bar, then I suppose that's their prerogative. As for me, I try to worry about what I am doing and give my experience without judgment or snarky comments, rather than picking on other people. Keeps things in perspective.

By the way, mrt, this is not "cold turkey" for me. It is a way of life. Extreme fundamentalism in anything, including eating habits, is not for me. If it is for you, good. For me, I count a victory if I feel better. Full stop. I don't need to set myself up for disappointment and failure by being dogmatic about things. That inevitably results in the self-loathing and feelings of failure that got me here in the first place. Nu-uh...not going there ever again, thank you very much. Now....would someone PLEASE pass me a bar? :-)
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 14:23

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

I also eat mostly unprocessed food. Meat is always organic, so are my veggies, berries, cream cheeses etc.
I don't drink diet drinks only water and occasional tea (the British way with milk and no sugar).
And javamel, I do not suffer from Crohns disese but I have two friends that do, I completely understand the pain of raw veggies etc. You don need alternatives, it is understandable.