Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 05:28

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Janne, congratulations on baby number 8! Babies are wonderful and I love your Mother Teresa quote!

The Schwarzbein Principle is basically a 60g diet, but weight loss is slower. Everyone is different, but I think the carbs are important for milk production. Try the oatmeal for breakfast, just be alert for the cravings. I'd be afraid to eat fruit; that would probably start mine.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 23:27

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

Hi Janne,
Something else to consider...being so close to your goal weight can slow your progress too. You have very little to lose on the scheme of things.
I started LCing when my Dd was four months. I did so with trepidation, I was determined to be successful (BFing)but gained 10 pounds after birth due to some medications I was on. I decided to try maintenance levels and as I've said have lost about <1 pound a week* which has been a satisfying amount of progress for me. It might be a good idea to go slowly down and just see how you and your daughter feel. I'm sure you are an old pro at breast feeding and you will know if she is not satisfied, and you can adjust your diet from there.

*except for the fact I put on 5 pounds over xmas which I have just now gotten rid of!
  #78   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 15:43

Plan: protein power
Stats: 146/146/125 Female 5ft. 4 in
BF:
Progress:
Default New here

Hello, I am new here and I hope this is still going. I am a bfing mommy and need some support with lcing. I have 15-20 to go and am going to do Protein Power until I wean. My baby is 15 months old and I am looking to wean within the next month or two. I hope to hear from someone on here. Thanks!!
  #79   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:45

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 105/125/105 Female 5 feet 6
BF:
Progress:

I'm new here too and nursing an almost 5 month old. I have been eating a lower carb diet for years (NT style) but before I got pregnant with this last baby I went on a raw vegan stint for 3 months and went from my normal thin weight of 105 to 115.
Stayed lower carb throughout pregnancy (70 grams a day average
but have weight to lose. I recently cut out fruit ( I have celiac so I don't eat grains) but don't notice any supply problems. I've been nursing for the last 13 years and my last three lower carb babies have been my largest and healthiest.

I wonder about ketosis though (never tested myself).
  #80   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 14:14

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I'm a very new breasting feeding mom. My little one is 3 weeks old, so we are still trying to get the hang of things. I think she has some lactose intolerance so I'm cutting out all milk and dairy at the moment, except for cream and butter. I'm having horrible carb cravings, I usually do TSP, and have considered going at 30gms per meal, and adding the snacks in if needed.
If I feel like I can cut down I will. I'm still very tired, so fixing the right food for me to eat is a huge challenge at the moment. Most days I would rather sleep than get breakfast, and same with lunch, fixing dinner is almost harder because I have to feed the rest of my family.
I'm trying to keep salads around, and I do have some tuna and a few cans of salmon. I need to make more hard cooked eggs since they are easy to grab. I'll see if I get around here more often, right now computer time is not too often.
Tanya
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:08
Living 'Corum Deo'

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/159.5/135 Female 5'4
BF:44%/30%/20%
Progress: 13%

Hello laides!

Can I join you all? I delivered a beautiful baby boy Aril 5th. He's two months now. I'm looking for support while nursing and LCing. I was a frequent member of this site back in June of last year and lost 20lbs. Then became pregnant in August.

Look forward to getting to know you all!
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:37

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Hi Kelly,
I will try to come around at least once a week, with this new baby, she isn't giving me much time.
I'm pretty sure she is lactose intolerant, so on we go.
Tanya
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/157/130 Female 5 feet  6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Cool New to board

Hi my name is Charlene. I am nursing a almost 4 month old baby. I have been trying to get back to lc but keep cheating. Yesterday went well and today is hard but I'm sticking to it. I would like to lose 20lbs. I lc aug 2002 and lost 10lbs in no time but I am finding that I need to cut back even farther on the carbs this time to get going. I have 3 other children. Two girls 8 and 6 and two boys 3 and the baby. I'm a bit worried about the milk supply. He is sleeping through the night but starting to wake earlier every day. It can't be the lc cause I just started yesterday so maybe he is ready for some cereal. I will see in a day or 2. I would love to have a buddy if anyone is interested let me know.undefined
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 17:35

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I had a friend that had a lot of trouble with having enough milk and she said that she used http://www.tealand.com/MothersMilk.aspx this tea and that it was a very noticable difference for her. Maybe it's worth looking into.

Jenn
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 19:37

Stats: 160/155.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 30%

Don't know if anyone is still hanging around being the last post was June 8th. My 2nd baby is 9 weeks now and I started LC 3 weeks ago. I am checking my urine for Ketones as I've been told they pass through the breastmilk and are toxic to the baby. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not losing any weight but I'm maintaining which is good for me while nursing. I gained 25 pounds while nursing my first in 8 months. I lost them all in 2 months on LC after she weaned, but I don't want to go that route again. I only gained 22 pounds during this pregnancy - I was sick (nauseous) the whole time. I ended up 5 pounds over my pre-preg weight by 2 weeks post partum but now I'm up to 9 and holding. I agree it's hard to find time to fix the food. I eat 2 pieces of breakfast sausage and one egg every morning for breakfast, salad with some chicken most days for lunch and whatever meat I'm fixing for the family and veggie and salad at dinner. I also let myself have 1/2 cup of Carb Smart ice cream every night. YUM! Maybe I should cut that out but I doubt those 4 carbs are killing me. The worst part for me is since I didn't do an induction my cravings haven't gone away like they did last time. Lots of luck to my nursing friends out there! ~ Cindi
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 18:56
I beat you, Tanita!

Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%

Hi there!

I'm in a bit of a different situation than most here, but still trying to find the right place for my situation.

I'm currently nursing my 22 month old son. He has severe food allergies, so he still nurses for a lot of his nutrition. However, I'm definitely not responsible for sustaining his life through nursing.

It leaves me wondering where I should be on the induction vs. maintenence scale. Right now, I'm trying induction. If it pushes him toward more solids, that would be totally fine with me.

I'm not really sure what my point is except that I'm not really sure where I fit in.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:37

Stats: 160/155.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Good for you!

Food allergies - yikes! So far we've not had that problem. I'm sure you are SO glad you are nursing to help him through that. I hope he outgrows them for the most part.

I've had to stop trying low carb. My milk supply definitely suffered even on 80-100 grams a day. I tend towards a low supply anyway. I've put on 5 pounds again and I'm trying to hold for now. I will do Atkins again when I wean or perhaps when he starts solids to see if I can manage something then.

You have the advantage of already having your son on solids so I would think, as you said, it would just increase his need for solids if your milk isn't right. Either way - good luck! Keeps up the good work

Cindi
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:10

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 209/197/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default MamaSara6 - nsg question

Hey - I'm nursing my 4 month old and having the same problem you had (re too much milk and low weight gain b/c couldn't eat enough to get to the fat milk) Just wondering what you did about it? I'm Somersizing, too.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
Congratulations on the new baby, Joanne! They are soooo wonderful. I guess every baby and Mom is different, but if you go back a couple of pages on this thread and read about my experience w/ induction when my baby was 6 months old. Basically, it totally sabotoged my milk supply and she was miserable.

I think 4 weeks is a little early to be seriously dieting. For the first couple of months I Somersized. I believe it is a much more wholesome, balanced woe than Atkins. I managed to drop 30 lbs. in that 6 weeks. And I had tons of milk! So much that her weight gain was low because she was getting too much low-fat milk and couldn't eat enough to get to the high-fat milk. This is characterized by an extremely fussy baby who wants to nurse all the time and has green stools. It's so bad that you think you have the opposite problem of not enough milk! With Atkins, I really had no milk!

Even in my 2 months on Atkins---only 2 wks at induction levels---I only lost about 5lbs. And that was during induction, but I may have added too many carbs because my milk was so low.

Remember, your body is programmed not to lose weight now to protect your baby. It may come off very slowly--that seems to be what we're all experiencing. It can be depressing, but those little smiles are worth it! Happy mothering!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 21:36

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi! I am nursing my 2-1/2 year old and LCing. Obviously he isn't getting a lot of nutrition for me, but my supply is still fine and I'm around 30-40 carbs daily. I never did induction though.

My son would tell me if my milk tasted funny or something, but he has not. I've lost about 20 lb now - I started in March so it's been a pretty slow loss, but I look and feel great.

I'm going to let him self-wean and then do induction if I feel I need to at that point.

It's great to see so many nursing moms here.

P.S. For low supply, try the herb fenugreek and/or Mother's milk tea. Eating oatmeal helps some moms. Also, make sure to drink enough water - I personally need 100 oz a day while nursing, even more when I work out a lot.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 09:54

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

Still nursing.......
I have been getting pretty frustrated. I seem to lose and get back down to 135 and then up I go again to 137. My ultimate goal is 120, so I have 20ish lbs to lose. Skyler is 5 months and eating baby food 2x a day about 1.5 jars and some cereal. I can't believe how much bigger she is compared to my older boys! I do think LC makes for larger babies.
I guess I am looking to see what everyone else is eating. I would like to find someone who is nursing a younger baby like me.
I have been eating eggs every day and then a salad with some sort ofr meat in it-dinner-tacos' or something else. I have found though that I have been snacking a lot on fruit-ie-grapes and honeydew melon or strawberries. I llove my melon! Has anyone found that will stall on too much fruit? I also have started to eat the morining start bars-My older boys are going back to school and I just don't have too much time to cook in the AM. Has anyone found that the bars also stall them at all? I have found these tropucana swirls bar-LC and yummy! Only 60 cals and 10 carbs( i think) I do generally treat myself to one at night.
Thanks for any help-