Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 09:38
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Maggie:

Quick question. I went in for my blood test this morning, but I just thought of something. My temps went up this morning due to ovulation. Will this affect the thyroid test either way? I'm assuming it doesn't since I wasn't advised to have it done at a certain time of the month. Just curious.

Thanks,
Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 21:29

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Wanda, good question

I don't know. I do know that in the beginning of our cycle, the first 14 days, we have slightly more thyroid hormone available. I've never thought of this, in terms of mid cycle.

Hopefully not!

I head to Vancouver tomorrow, where I have an appointment with an ND to start Wilson's protocal, a way to get off my thyroid meds.

I'm excited about it.

Please let me know what you find out from your test. I'm glad you got it done!

Maggie
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 21:34

BF:

Managed to force myself to the gym. Finished my workshops and meetings today at 6:30 and the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym.

I had a great workout tho, legs are definately getting stronger. Was able to complete my lunges!

Squats

12 x 45
10 x 55
8 x 65
6 x 75
12 x 45

Leg extension

12 x 70

Lunges

12 x 20
10 x 30
8 x 40
6 x 44
12 x 20

Leg curl

12 x 60

Seated calf raises

12 x 55 (x 3)

1 hour walk

I worked out every day this week at the hotel gym, I'm proud of that! Rewarded myself with a new slinky black skirt and white blouse
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 08:16
Mad Scientist

BF:

Good work Maggie! Always nice to have a "treat" after a job well done.

Good luck with your appointment. Is it today, Saturday?

Wanda
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 17:20
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
He's convinced I have estrogen dominance, surprise surprise. If the tests show this, his treatment to get me off thyroid hormones will be a little different.

God, this is kinda ironic. I've had estrogen dominance for over and year and now I'm getting tested for thyroid. You've been dealing with thyroid, now you're being tested for estrogen dominance.

You're getting the saliva test done, right? That test cost me about $350 if I remember correctly, but it was well worth the cost b/c blood tests came back normal. What's the urine test for?

Well, maybe I can return the favor if you end up being estrogen dominant.

Wanda
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 18:01

BF:

Hi Wanda

The urine test is a comprehensive 24 hr test that measures all steriod hormones, plus sex hormones.

Do you mean that your estrogen test was normal?

I had a number of symptoms of estrogen dominance, PMS, fibrocystic breasts, etc. I learned alot.

I'm anxious to move on from this whole thing but he said it would likely take 6 months to a year.

He wants me to remove any non organic foods that come from the reproductive system of animals, from my diet. I eat organic eggs anyway, but he wants me to eat organic chicken too. I don't eat much dairy anyway.

When I got home today I bought an organic turkey, for $299/lb. I figure maybe this is the cheapest way to go.

Our beef is grass fed organic from a local farmer anyway, and we eat moose and cariboo.

He also says that low carb is too stressful to do while getting off the thyroid hormones, so I'll probably up my carbs and do the zone next month when I get going. In the meantime I'm going to focus on losing as much weight as I can. If I can get below 150 I'll be happy for a while.

Lots to learn. Please let me know if you have any other info that would be helpful.

Thanks Wanda

Maggie
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 08:28
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Hmmmm, the gold standard for hormone tests is saliva testing, not urine testing. Not sure why he would choose urine, but I guess he has his reasons. I had a full panel done, measuring estrogen, progesterone, 4 point cortisol (AM, noon, PM, night), testosterone, and DHEA-S. My estrogen test was high, testosterone was low and everything else was normal. There are a couple of scenarios, but estrogen dominance is simply when the ratio of estrogen is higher than the ratio of progesterone.

The problem started when my cycles increased to around 40 days in length. I started charting my morning temps to see what was happening and began to see there was a problem - I wasn't ovulating. I was also having terrible sugar cravings and gaining weight. I was also an emotional wreck, couldn't sleep and night, and was having terrible memory problems.

DH thought I was starting menopause so we had my FSH & LH levels tested, but the results were normal.

After doing some research, I learned that blood tests weren't as accurate as saliva tests, so I went to my holistic doc and he ordered the saliva tests. I got the high estrogen results back, but the problem for me was that hormones like estrogen aren't high unless you're getting them from the environment. So we had to look at reasons why my estrogen was so high. I've been eating organic for 5 years, so that wasn't a reason. So we had to turn to my mercury fillings. Mercury is a hormone disrupter and mimicks estrogen. So I had my mercury levels tested and it was off the chart. That's why I've been going through this year-long process of having my mercury fillings removed. Now I'm getting ready for another mercury test to see where my levels are. If they're still high, I'll have to have the mercury chelated out of my system.

Quote:

He wants me to remove any non organic foods that come from the reproductive system of animals, from my diet. I eat organic eggs anyway, but he wants me to eat organic chicken too. I don't eat much dairy anyway.
Yes, I eat all organic food, including vegetables. Chemicals and hormones can disrupt the estrogen balance b/c they're environmental estrogens.

Quote:
He also says that low carb is too stressful to do while getting off the thyroid hormones, so I'll probably up my carbs and do the zone next month when I get going. In the meantime I'm going to focus on losing as much weight as I can. If I can get below 150 I'll be happy for a while.
Interesting! Why is that? I've read that prolonged LC can downregulate thyroid. Is that why?

There's a great site on Estrogen Dominance by Dr. Lam. There's also the site of Dr. John Lee who has the series of books .... What you're Doctor Many Not Tell you about Perimenopause/Menopause. Another interesting book I read is Hormone Deception. It's mostly about how the xenohormones in our environment affect us. I have a folder thick with information I've copied off the internet. There's tons of info out there.

The other thing I started doing was taking DIM or IC3. Both are created from phytochemicals found in cruciferous veggies. It helps to promote healthy estrogen metabolism. The Life Extension Foundation has some really good info about IC3 if you scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's also a site on DIM that's helpful. I've taken both, but I think I get better results from the IC3. It seems that my cycles run more smoothly with it over DIM. There's a lot of controversy over whether DIM or IC3 is better. The big supplement research companies (LEF & AOR) that I trust, so far aren't convinced that DIM is better over IC3. And, of course, increase your intake of cruciferous veggies.

I also supplement with bio-identical progesterone cream even though my progesterone is normal. It helps at least to narrow the gap of estrogen dominance for me, helping me ovulate. My luteal phase is still pretty short, but it seems to be getting progressively longer.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post if I remember anything else.

Wanda
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:34
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Quote:
The ND believes the new 24 hr urine test is the Gold Standard, because it's come to light that hormones are released in spurts throughout the day, and if you happen to test during a spurt, you get an innacurate result. The 24 test is supposed to make the process more reliable.
I don't know all that much about the urine test. I know that I had to take saliva samples at 4 different points throughout the day to measure cortisol. I'll have to ask my doc about the urine tests. It was over a year ago when I had my last test.

Quote:
Mercury huh? Interesting. 2 yrs ago I had my hair tested, mercury levels off the chart. I've had most of my amalgym fillings removed. I have two left. I'm going to make an appointment to have the next two removed, then I'm going to do the chelation.
Wow, I didn't know you'd gone through that. Try to find a holistic dentist who will use a rubber dam in your mouth as well as give you oxygen during the removal so you don't breathe in the fumes. My doc also made me come in for an IV vitamin drip to help reduce the toxic load.

Quote:
I actually didn't realize that mercury can affect estrogen levels. I know it affects thyroid levels. I do seem to have a multi system cluster mess of screwed up hormones.
Mercury pretty much affects every hormone in our body. I hear ya on the cluster mess of screwed up hormones. To add insult to injury, I was on a drug that stopped all hormone production for 6 months. Who knows what kind of damage THAT caused, there have been so many reports of long term side effects.

Quote:
Re the low carb, it's well documented that going below 60 gms of carbs per day reduces conversion of thyroid hormones from active to inactive. The whole point of Wilson's protocal is to stop your body from making R T3 (reverse T3, or inactive hormone).
How do you get tested for Reverse T3? The lab I went to doesn't test for it.

Quote:
I gotta believe that if I balance my hormones, I can lose the remaining weight by sking alone. I'm not talking about 300 gms of carbs/day, but more likely about 120-150. Sking burns 800 to 1000 calories an hour, so surely it will help?
Yeah, you and me both. That's amazing you can do so much cardio. I wear down too quickly with cardio.

Quote:
Have you had your estrogen retested since you've started working on reducing it? I'm curious to know if it's been successful.
Not yet. I'm assuming I'll get it retested after I have my DMPS challenge/chelation.

Looks like we'll be coming to one another for support.

Wanda
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 13:25
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Quote:
A drug that stopped you from producing hormones for 6 mo?? I can't even begin to imagine how much damage that could do.
Yeah, it was to treat endometriosis so they gave me a chemotherapy drug. I wrote about this craziness on the first page of my regular journal . It's kinda long though.

Quote:
What kind of chelation are you going to do?
Hmmmm, I can't recall specifically. I think EDTA, but it was over a year ago when this whole process started. I was having problem with a tooth, they thought would have to get pulled or get a root canal, so that delayed my treatment.

What kind are you getting?

Quote:
Unfortunately, the dentist here uses a dam, but not oxygen. I could do it down in Vancouver, but we're not going there for a while. I really want these things OUT of my mouth!
If your dentist has laughing gas, he should be able to give you oxygen. My regular dentist (who is also our business partner) offered to do my almalgam removals and he said he could give me oxygen via the laughing gas contraption. But as it turned out, my doctor wanted me to see a holistic dentist, who sent me off for senstivity testing for the dental materials used. That was money well spent b/c we found an anesthetic that worked well for me. I've always had a really hard time freezing so I wasn't looking forward to the procedure. It turned out to be a piece of cake with the anesthesia.

Quote:
RT3 is an expensive test, you could get it through your ND. My last ND told me it wasn't worth doing, since he was so sure I had this problem, and it wouldn't change the way I'm treated.
Although my doc treats Wilson's Syndrome, I guess he just treats based on symptoms and exclusionary tests. Thanks for that link, it was helpful. I sure wish they'd fax my results to me. I'm getting impatient.

Wanda
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 18:20

BF:

Upper body today

I have NO IDEA why this is happening, but I'm getting weaker in certain areas.

This happened last week when I was out of town and I attributed it to that, but now I don't know.

Chest (weaker):

Free Bench
12 x 45
10 x 55
6 x 65
12 x 45

Normall I do 8 x 65, then 6 x 75, today, no way! It is my TOM today so perhaps I'm weaker because of that.

Flys

12 x 12

Back (stronger)
Seated rows

12X 70
10 x 75
8 x 80
6 x 90
12 x 70

Close grip reverse pulldowns

12 X 60

Shoulder (weak!)

Barbell press

12 x 10
10 x 12
8 x 15
6 x 17
12 x 10 (brutal)

Rear deltiod bent over flys
12 x 8

Biceps

Alternate bicep curls
12 x 10
12 x 12
8 x 15
6 x 17
12 x 12

Standing barbell curls

12 x 30

Triceps (weaker!)

12 x 30
10 x 35
8 x 40
6 x 50 (gave up, too weak)
12 x 30

35 minutes eliptical trainer
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 18:24
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Pay attention to when you're ovulating - testosterone levels rise around then, and you may well notice you're stronger then.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 18:47

BF:

Wanda, OMG!!! I just read the beginning entry in your journal. I can't believe what you went through! I thought I'd been through alot getting diagnosed with low thyroid. But my experience is nothing compared to yours

It' shocking really, what you went through

I'll take your advice on the gas mask thing and ask my dentist. Hopefully I can get the last two amalgym fillings out this month. Then I can begin to get things balanced.

Wanda, congratulations on your amazing progress so far. You're an inspiration to me! All I do is whine whine whine, no more....

Maggie
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 18:50

BF:

Thanks Built

I'll keep track and see. I do notice I often feel like super woman for a day or two mid cycle, I love that.

Hopefully I haven't overdone it. My husband tells me he's noticed I'm weaker during my period.

Thanks Built

Maggie
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 19:28
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykmaggie
Wanda, OMG!!! I just read the beginning entry in your journal. I can't believe what you went through! I thought I'd been through alot getting diagnosed with low thyroid. But my experience is nothing compared to yours

It' shocking really, what you went through

I'll take your advice on the gas mask thing and ask my dentist. Hopefully I can get the last two amalgym fillings out this month. Then I can begin to get things balanced.

Wanda, congratulations on your amazing progress so far. You're an inspiration to me! All I do is whine whine whine, no more....

Maggie
Thanks Maggie. I sometimes have a hard time believing I actually went through all that. I get a bit emotional when I read that post. I'm so fortunate to have recovered from the Fibro so that I could start lifting weights. The chemical sensitivites will probably always be with me, but I consider that a blessing. It just means that I'll always avoid things that are unhealthy for me. But I also realize that I'm so much more fortunate than other people. My body gave me some pretty strong warning signs that I listened to. I wonder how many people just end up with cancer or something, WITHOUT the warning signs.

Maggie, you don't whine AT ALL! You're on a mission to be healthy and we ALL have the right to do that.

Wanda
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 19:33

BF:

Lord help me, for a limited time, I've posted my BEFORE picture. It's in my profile. It was taken Sept 30, 2004 before BFL. I was 164 lbs.

At the end of the week, I'll post a one month BFL photo.

It can only get better!

Maggie