Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 03:17
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Let's examine that. I'm in agreement that fat is under the control of the fat person, of course. We are all responsible for our condition, whatever that is. However, the degree to which fat people are "held responsible" when compared to other self destructive behaviors is extreme.

Debatable.
Quote:
After all, smoking costs everyone monetarily in terms of insurance premiums, taxes, healthcare costs, and misery at least as much as fat does. But smokers aren't ridiculed in most every public forum.

And most restaurants aren't requiring overweight people to sit in a special "Fatties Section" where other patrons won't be put off their food by looking at us adding to our adipose. Nor is our "addiction" taxed for our sins the way tobacco is -- and a damn good thing for us low-carbers, too, as the nutritional establishment would probably want to give "healthful" low-fat products a big tax break and make us pay big time for our steaks and cream.
Quote:

The same comparison could be made for alcoholics or drug users. Robert Downey Junior probably advanced his career with his addictions (he certainly didn't slow it down). If he'd done something similarly self destructive -- say, gain 100 pounds of fat -- would that have been the case?

Have you ever seen Nick Nolte mentioned in Jay Leno's monologue since his (Nolte's) drunk driving arrest last year? Leno has milked Nolte's mug shot at least as much as he's mentioned Monica Lewinsky.

I think if there's an organizing principle, it's that if one's self-destructive behavior makes one less attractive, the "comedians" come out of their kennels. Robert Downey Jr. might have drug problems, but he still looks pretty good -- Nick Nolte looked like crap. Result: Downey gets a pass, Nolte gets ridiculed. Smokers look pretty good (until they start coughing up chunks of lung in a hospital), but overweight people look less attractive. Result: "Yo' mama is so fat, when she sits around the house -- she sits AROUND THE HOUSE!"
Quote:
Another self inflicted flaw might be someone who routinely drives carelessly and causes his face to be hideously burned in a crash, or puts himself into a wheelchair. Is it all right to ridicule that person because "he did it to himself?" it was under his control, too.

Whether it's "all right" or not, people who injure themselves in stupid ways get ridiculed too. See http://www.darwinawards.com or maybe http://www.fark.com (just for starters). The Germans even have a name for it: schadenfreude -- "Would that English were so honest!"
Quote:
I'm not saying the fat aren't responsible for what they (we) have done to ourselves. I loathe the fat acceptance movement because it's predicated on a Big Lie. And I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for airlines to charge a person who takes up two seats for the privilege.
But I am saying that in significant ways, the fat tend to be held responsible, to pay the social price for that flaw than other self destructive behaviors.

Even if we are held responsible out of proportion to the harm we do, so what? Would it really make it easier for us to lose weight if comedians stopped making fun of us?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 05:18
Registered Member

BF:

Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire here --
Take a look at the first letter in Dan Savage's column from June 18-24 2003
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0325/savage.php
(site may not be suitable for work)

Myself, I agree with Dan.

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 00:57.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 08:03

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

This whole thing is just so horrible to watch. To have all this displayed on a website is so hurtful and tasteless.

I feel sorry for Andy, he's obvuiously married to the wrong woman if the only thing that turns him on is her body. Does he not find her face, her movements, her energy etc. sexy? Chemistry is not reliant on body size, it's either there or it's not. 30lbs shouldn't effect chemistry that much, not like she's gained 100lbs!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me theres a lot more problems with this marriage than poor "Candy's" weight issues.

D'know if this is even real though, I mean who's called Candy and Andy?
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Whether he is concerned for her health or not, he doesn't SAY so. He is acting like a jerk, and it's jerky to open up this kind of discussion online.
What if he was losing his hair? Would it be a "get a toupee or I'm divorcing you" thing?
Perhaps they deserve each other.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:36

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
The same comparison could be made for alcoholics or drug users. Robert Downey Junior probably advanced his career with his addictions (he certainly didn't slow it down). If he'd done something similarly self destructive -- say, gain 100 pounds of fat -- would that have been the case?

wow! Now, aint this the truth? I had a drinking/drug problem for years, but very few people saw the need call me on it. I have also struggled with my weight since I was about 9 years old and I could fill a book with all the things that people (friends, relatives, STRANGERS) have said--ridiculing, shaming and blaming me for my condition.

I have ceased the drinking/drugging--no one seems to notice much or care (which is fine with me), but I've also lost about 20 pounds and the amount of praise that I have recieved is staggering!

What is wrong with this picture? In my mind, my drinking/drugging had much more serious ramifications to my health than 40 extra pounds (not that that is healthy either) and yet the substance abuse is not seen as cause for ridicule. But just try being 40 pounds overweight and everyone and thier brother takes the opportunity to cut you down and tell you how to live! Including people who are heavy themselves. It's amazing!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:42

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
I agree. And I'm not going to say that any alcoholic would be all right if he/she were motivated by the opinions of others. Alcoholics have many things going on.

wait a second.....so alcoholics (people who are drinking themselves to death) have more "going on" than severly obese folks (people who are eating themselves to death)?

They are two different means to a very destructive end. Why does one group deserve special treatment and more respect than the other?
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:56

BF:

Quote:
Why does one group deserve special treatment and more respect than the other?

I don't think eating too much is that different from drinking too much, gambling too much, even drugging too much. (Who has had a tooth out, bone surgery, or similar need for drugs? They aren't bad, they can just be used for bad purposes.)

I know I always blamed myself for my weight problems. Part of it was my fault, since I had a problem with emotional eating. But part of it was also the carb cycle, making me always hungry.

Any addiction has two components like this: the emotional side and the physical side. Gamblers can get hooked on the adrenalin rush of their large bets. Because we have emotional and physical sides which interact, all addictions have these two sides.

The way society regards various addictions is always subject to change. Right now, with the physical problems with carbs not recognized, overweight is seen as something entirely within someone's control, while drinking is seen as something totally out of someone's control. The truth for both is somewhere in between.

Society thinks it's entirely okay to have an intervention with a drug addict, "You must get help!" Etc. Does anyone do that for someone with a weight problem? It's interesting.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 15:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Given the number of people who pointed out my weight to me, compared to the scant few who acknowledged my ex's alcoholism you'd almost swear they don't think you KNOW you're fat!

"Man, you've really put on the weight.."

Me: "OMIGOD! Thank you SO much for pointing that out to me! I never would have REALIZED that without you telling me... To think, the tighter, plus-sized clothes, breathing heavy after exertion of any kind, my doctor telling me my health is at risk..not being able to fit in the chair with ARMS in his waiting room...the Slim-Fast, the Weight Watchers...crying myself to sleep....none of that was a clue until YOU called me fat and snapped me to my senses! Thank you SO much!"

<ahem>
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
And most restaurants aren't requiring overweight people to sit in a special "Fatties Section"

Nope. We get to sit with everyone else and have total strangers feel free to comment on what we order and how much of it (loud enough for us to hear, of course) and our friends/family get to share in the embarassment with us.

Quote:
I think if there's an organizing principle, it's that if one's self-destructive behavior makes one less attractive, the "comedians" come out of their kennels.

Which validates my earlier point that only the thin and beautiful are "worthy" of validation in our society no matter how destructive their behavior is.

Quote:
Whether it's "all right" or not, people who injure themselves in stupid ways get ridiculed too.

There's a big difference between laughing at someone who is stupid enough to put a cup of hot coffee between her legs, get burned and then bring a lawsuit against the restaurant who sold her the coffee for not warning her (in writing, no less), that the coffee was served hot. I doubt too many people would find it acceptable behavior to go down to the local closed head injury or spinal cord injury clinic and mock the patients because they got they way due to their own carelessness (careless/impaired driving, extreme sports, etc...) and yet it's perfectly acceptable to mock someone who is overweight "because we did it to ourselves"? Besides...those with disabilities (self-inflicted or otherwise) are protected from discrimination by the Americans With Disabilities act...those that are overweight are not.

Quote:
Would it really make it easier for us to lose weight if comedians stopped making fun of us?

The question isn't whether or not it would make it easier to lose weight if people stopped mocking us, although obviously it doesn't do much good or there would be a lot less fat people walking around and for those that have an emotional component to their overeating, it only contributes to the problem. The question is why should we have to wait until we get thin or BE thin to be treated with dignity and respect.

Quote:
If you don't think the majority's view is valid, what do you care for their opinions at all, at all?

I don't care what their opinion is as long as they keep it to themselves. I do care when that opinion becomes action in the form of verbal abuse or discrimination.

Quote:
For example, if my boss said, "We're not going to promote you to an outside sales position until you lose 50 pounds, because we think our customers don't want to deal with a fat guy," I would think he was WAY out of line.

Nope. They wouldn't likely say it to your face. Just behind your back while they're hiring someone else who is thinner and better looking for the position saying something like, "Well...we had a candidate who was more qualified, but he doesn't project the type of image we'd like to represent our company..."
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 18:25
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

While all these posts are really interesting conversation, I guess, to go back on subject...

It doesn't make you a bad person to admit that your spouse's weight gain makes them less sexually attractive to you. That being said, a marriage shouldn't be contingent on your partner's size, since, presumably, you married for deeper reasons than physical appearance. Trying to bully or humiliate your spouse into changing is poor form, to say the least!

Should we lose weight to please our spouse? My knee-jerk reaction would be "NO"... only to make ourselves healthy and happy. Go a little deeper, though, and in the context of a loving relationship, I'd have to say "it depends"...

That may seem like a wishy-washy answer, but I quit smoking more out of love for my children than my own reasons. I love them enough to want to spare them the pain of losing another parent when I could do something to prevent it. In a way, I'm losing weight and gaining health more for them than myself... although it didn't happen until I was ready... no amount of ridicule would have made it happen any faster.

What it all boils down to for me is the spirit of the whole thing. He comes off as a shallow jerk.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 00:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
While all these posts are really interesting conversation, I guess, to go back on subject...

It doesn't make you a bad person to admit that your spouse's weight gain makes them less sexually attractive to you. That being said, a marriage shouldn't be contingent on your partner's size, since, presumably, you married for deeper reasons than physical appearance.

When you were at or near your maximum weight, would you have been willing to allow your husband to have sex with someone in shape, as long as he promised to not fall in love with her, but only be attracted to her on the physical level? After all, marriage is about more important things than shallow, superficial physical attraction, right?
Quote:
Trying to bully or humiliate your spouse into changing is poor form, to say the least!

I agree. Unless nothing else works, that is -- then bring on the bullying or humiliation. Or bail, and find someone who will take care of him/herself, someone more to your liking, and let the ex look for someone who doesn't care what her/his spouse looks like. But I think if you care enough about someone to marry them in the first place, you ought to care enough to bully or humiliate -- if that's what it takes to get them to make a change that's pleasing to you and beneficial to his/her health.
Quote:
Should we lose weight to please our spouse? My knee-jerk reaction would be "NO"... only to make ourselves healthy and happy. Go a little deeper, though, and in the context of a loving relationship, I'd have to say "it depends"...
That may seem like a wishy-washy answer, but I quit smoking more out of love for my children than my own reasons. I love them enough to want to spare them the pain of losing another parent when I could do something to prevent it. In a way, I'm losing weight and gaining health more for them than myself...
Sometimes, that's what the spouse or kids are for -- to get you to do something good that you wouldn't do for yourself.

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 06:39.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 01:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnarella
Well, I'm guessing that if I was married to someone who had an accident, I wouldn't see that as being something he could control. And in that situation, I'm sure that I would just be happy he was alive. I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that I don't think its right not to do what you can to maintain yourself intellectually, spiritually and physically for your spouse. And that would include both parties. To me, its a sign of respect for your spouse and for yourself. And I don't think I would be honest if I said that if I found that my spouse didn't respect himself, and by extension, me, that it might figure into my level of attraction for him. I would not, of course, humiliate him. But it would definitely be something I would tactfully bring up.

Amen, sister! In my opinion, marriage should be about bringing out the best you have to offer. Spending hours a week sitting on the couch watching football or soap operas when you might be improving your mind does not count as bringing out your best. Neither does letting yourself go physically, gaining weight year by year, until you get to the point where stomach stapling starts to look like a good idea. Marriage should be about two* people becoming more than either could be alone -- not a long, slow roll downhill from one's physical and mental peak.

*Or more if you can manage it -- I'm not prejudiced. But making it happen with just two is hard enough for most of us.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:34
Registered Member

Stats: 337/310/200 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

My husband did and still does say to me " it doesn't matter how you look I still love you " But for me I want to lose the weight I'm tired of huffing and puffing as I walk up the steps or down the street. Then there are times (not often) I think he does mention my weight because he thinks that will get me motivated again.
(wrong ! just makes me feel worse and I pig out. ) As long as he is supportive I'm happy. We will be celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary on Thursday and I have had more gain than loss.

Then I think about my sister who is married to an A--! I have heard that he has told her if she gains weight he will leave her . He has also told her if she ever cuts her hair he would also leave. From what I understand she had her hair trimmed and he wouldn't talk to her for 3 weeks. To me that is a Major. A--
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:02

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

[QUOTE=Dean4PrezUnless nothing else works, that is -- then bring on the bullying or humiliation. Or bail, and find someone who will take care of him/herself, someone more to your liking, and let the ex look for someone who doesn't care what her/his spouse looks like. But I think if you care enough about someone to marry them in the first place, you ought to care enough to bully or humiliate -- if that's what it takes to get them to make a change that's pleasing to you and beneficial to his/her health.QUOTE]

I hope for her sake that your gf never gains weight or does something that's not exactly to your liking if bullying and humiliation are what you deem acceptable treatment of someone you're suppossed to love!! You're obviously not familiar with the concept of unconditional love!!

I mean c'mon "If you care enough about someone to marry them in the first place, you ought to care enough to bully or humiliate". What a lovely view of relationships you have!!!!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
you ought to care enough to bully or humiliate.

No, I disagree strongly. There's NEVER a good reason to bully or humiliate anyone.

After all, if it worked, none of us with unsupportive families would still have this problem, right?