Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:34

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Huff, puff, pant, whew! Just got my 20 minutes in on the bike so I could sign on and say "Good Morning Gang"! What a motivator! Can't sign on and come to the website without riding first! LOL! Rode slower this morning...12 mph...which ended up being just 4.2 miles but was comfortable.

Nancy, I hope you get the bike situation solved to your satisfaction. I worry only because having to pump that HARD on yours might cause some injuries.

I have a much quieter day planned today than that phrenetic mess from yesterday! LOL! I did those with ease years ago, but they take their toll on me now. Now I have to space them out with some sloooow days in between!

Good luck with the low carbing and the moooooving today!
Nance
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%

We're off to the mall - hooray for us

[By way of explanation ... for those of us who live in the western desert, outside exercise at this time of year is TOTALLY out of the question ... even way to hot at 7 in the morning. So, our local shopping mall opens its doors at 7 for the walkers in the community. The stores are all closed, but we get the run of the place (so to speak). Great fun - window shopping at mach 5, always something different to look at and of course, I've got great company ]

Suggested to hubby that we add another lap (we do three times around the mall now) - he's all for it. Every little bit helps, eh?

Ever Onward,

Holly
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/162/140? Female 5'4"
BF:28/?/?
Progress: 0%

Good morning/afternoon everyone,

Wish I had a mall real close to walk in, we live about 36 miles from nearest mall. So for now my treadmill will do, unless I get out and walk outside. But with the heat, dont think I should do too much outside, unless in the early AM (don't get up till 9 though! LOL) or in the evenings. Guess the heat here is not as bad as Holly though!

I just did a short 10 minutes on treadmill, after not being on it after a couple days, it wears me out, hurts the back part of my legs. And smoking cigs. is not helping either. I have decided to try and give that a try too (stop smoking), but its hard when DH smokes too!!! I guess I will take one thing at a time!

I will try and get some more walking on the treadmill in later this evening.

Catch ya'll later, gotta run (drive that is!!!) to the store. Will check in with everyone later.

Happy Exercising and Low Carb'n!!!!
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:22
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Great going, everyone! Even this nasty summer isn't slowing you guys down--that's terrific!

I tried to get out for my walk today, turned the corner, and--it started to rain. Ran back home. About an hour later, the sky cleared, went out, turned the corner, and--it started to pour. Thinking the third time would be a charm, I went out...you guessed it. If hubby gets home early enough, I'll go to the gym tonight. If not, I suppose I could always run up and down the stairs.

So while all of you have made it to Kansas City, I'll still be in the vicinity of Cleveland.

See you all later.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:17

BF:

LOL! I can always count on my spirit being lifted when I come here! You gals are a hoot!

I just tried doing a mile with my daughter to the Leslie Sansone walking tape. We were doing pretty well when my grandaughter walked in front of me and I ended up kicking her and hurting my little toe! LOL! Then we lay on the floor in giggles for about 5 minutes! Does that count as excercise?! Fortunately we're both okay and the toe will heal some day. I also finished the 5 miles on the bike. That's my goal for each day...a minimum of 5 miles. Not too long ago I was doing almost 20 a day...funny how fast we fall out of shape.

I may have time to check in later this evening. If not...see ya tomorrow!! ONWARD! LOL!
Nance
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:40

Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:

Sure is nice seeing everyone stopping by and checking in.

My hubby and I went out looking at stationary bikes today.Think we have given up on the one I have.Only paid $20 for it at a yard sale last summer.When I get the new one I think that I will put the old one out in the yard with a sign saying that it up for grabs for anyone that wants it and see what happens.

I am going to get a stationary bike that is on sale at Sears.Since our trunk is so small we are going to use our daughter's SUV to pick the bike up tomorrow.Sure hope they have it in stock.

I have ridden my bike for 20 minutes today.I may ride it some more a little later.

Can't complain about our weather today.It's been in the mid 70's and sunny with a nice breeze.Now they are saying that we might have some severe storms this evening and over night.

Holly.....our small mall is about 5 miles from us.It also opens early for the mall walkers.They have an organized group of walkers that walk the mall every morning.How far do you walk when you go 3 times around?Did you make it 4 times around this morning?

Leah....My daughter Kimberly just bought a treadmill.I got on it for the first time on Saturday.I did ok for my first time but when I got off of it I felt like I was still going.Do you ever get that feeling?Good luck with quitting smoking.Your lungs and general health will thank you for it.Let us know how you are doing.

Rose......Your rainy weather sounds like what we have had this summer.I really can't complain though since we have been averaging days in the 70's instead of the 80's.It has been a rather mild rainy summer here in the southern part of West Virginia.

Nance......Sorry to hear that you hurt your toe when your granddaughter walked in front of you.How old is your granddaughter?Sounds like something my 2 year old grandson Jeremy would do.You did really well riding 5 miles on your bike today.

Nancy
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:43

BF:

Our Challenge

Thought I would bring the challenge up again since we should be starting on it soon.

Do all of you agree that we should first start out with a 100 mile challenge with the main focus of just reaching the 100 mile goal?

Any suggestions on when we should start?I will be getting my new bike tomorrow but then again I don't know how long it will take us to put it together,lol.

Let me know your thoughts.

Nancy
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 19:47

Hey everyone,
Well I just got home from going to the town where the mall is (36 mi away), and did some walking there. The only reason I was there was cuz DH wanted to go and get some paint mixed to paint our new trailer we built to tow behind our bike.

Not sure how far I walked but I was getting out of breath, so we decided to go eat at Jasons Deli! They have a wonderful "Atkins Special" meal. It consisted of a grilled chicken breast covered in cheese, steamed (?) vegs (cauliflower/brocolli) and a cup of cheese soup (not sure if I should of eaten the soup, but I did anyway...LOL) it was wonderful!!!! I had no idea that resturants would cater to low carbing folks!!! Now I have made it my mission to check all the resturants around our area to see if they have Low Carb meals!!! If so, I will tell the manager that I appreciate the fact that his place of business is thinking of the health of their patrons. If they dont, I will suggest that they should!

So now, I'm gonna go and put the tennis shoes on and mossey on over to the treadmill for thats yelling, "LEAH GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND HOP ON".

Nancy: I suggest we start the challenge as soon as you get your bike up and running. And the 100 mile goal is fine for me.

Catch ya'll later, after I get my self off the treadmill...wish me luck!!!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:15

BF:

Nancy, I agree with Leah. Let's wait until you have your bike ready to go. Then we start. This other is just practice for the main event! LOL! BTW Congrats on getting a new one! WOOHOO! I had a really good one from Sears and loaned it to my GS to rehab his leg after he got the steel plate out of it. He broke it playing football...then he broke the plate...so he was laid up for about 3 months and his leg looked like a toothpick when he was healed. Well...the 3 GS's broke 2 pieces on it and my daughter made them buy GramCracker a new one. This one is a 99 dollar special that I cannot go nearly as fast on but it is really comfortable. DD has informed them that cannot touch it! LOL!

Grandaughter is 7. She was exercising with DD and I and we just got carried away! We had all 3 kids up strutting their stuff to gospel music...such a kick (literally!). I didn't make it quite the 18 minutes or one mile, but I put some more time on the bike until I got to 5 miles.

That low carb dinner sounds scrumptious! I hope more and more restaurants will get with the program. I see Applebees is offering Weight Watchers meals so there's hope!

Rose, your weather reminds me of that old song "Walking In The Rain"! Sure wish we'd get some. It would settle the dust here on Heaven on a Halfshell. They're combining wheat across the gravel road from us and the trucks go right in front of the property in and out...in and out...all day long! Hard to breath here! Just walk when you can or get one of the tapes and walk in your living room. It is really a good workout and tons of fun.

Speaking of hard to breath. I quit the cigarettes on October 5th, 2002 after ending up in the ER with a case of viral induced asthma. You know that picture of a fish out of water flopping around gasping for air?....That was me! Decided I was never again going to be in that postion and threw them away and quit cold turkey. Easiest thing I've ever done...must have been God having a hand in it because the first eleven million times I quit it was really tough! Hubby still smokes...just does it outside. My DD bought me a box of the patches and I never even opened them. I am not that strong so it had to be divine intervention. I still get the urge every once in a while and I take one of the 3 remaining cigarettes and 'pretend' puff on it 2 or 3 times and then I'm good to go for another month or two. Craziest thing I've ever heard of and it works for me.

You guys have a great evening and I'll see ya bright and early in the morning. To Moooooving!
Nance
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:57

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi All--I'm temporarily laid up so I am going to try and be your--"" cheer leader "" ---o.k. Cloesus??? Here goes Gals- Rah Rah---Sis Boom Bah---Throw that fat away--Ha Ha Ha!!!! Never was a cheer leader, but the sentiments are sincere. Hi Miztakes--Thought I would stop by as you suggested. Go for it--All you Gals!!! --Have a Great day!! Aleka
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%
Default Our very own cheerleader!! :wiggle:

Hi Aleka

Thanks for the cheer - we all need all the help we can get!! We haven't set the start date yet, so keep up the pep rallies!

Sorry to hear about your injury - hope your feeling better soon.

Holly
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:50

G'mornin' Everyone

Wow we have our very own cheerleader

Thanks Aleka for stopping by and giving us a cheer (?)! LOL
That was so sweet!

Last night I did another mile on the treadmill, and boy oh boy, does my back feels it. I am going to try and get some more "walking" in this am. (Have to be ready for our challenge)

Right now I'm trying to get all files ready - I have an unemployement appeal hearing tomorrow (3p.m.)...and I want to win this appeal sooooo badddd! My exboss did me wrong and I want to make it so hard on him. I have to get my witnesses and evidence all ready. The only thing I have to really concentrate on is being focused and CALM! (and believe me thats going to be hard for me to do! LOL)

Anyway I will give it a shot! So I have decided that while on my treadmill I will take out all my anger while walking. (hope that works)

I will check back in later with you guys!

"Exercise, Exercise......rah rah rah"
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:11

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Keep up the good work Gals!!!! Aleka
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:15

BF:

Hi Aleka,
So ncie to meet you.Thanks for being our cheerleader.We need all of the support we can get.

Where in Illinois do you live?

I am anxious to get my new stationary bike this evening.Can't get it till my daughter Kimberly gets home from work so that we can use her SUV.

Have a good day everyone.Keep a moving!!!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:19

BF:

Leah,
Good luck with your unemployment appeal hearing.I will be thinking of you tomorrow around 3.

I had to go through the same process with a workmen's comp appeal.Had to get a lawyer.I worked in the kitchen of a nursing home.I was walking across a hall and it was wet.There wasn't a sign in sight about the wet floor.I slipped and fell.In the process I had a compression fracture of a vertabra in my lower back.What a painful injury that was.It took about 2 years to get that claim settled even with a lawyer.

Need to get off of here.Have some things to finish before picking up grandson at 2.

Nancy
Closed Thread