Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 08:41

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Vegetables: Onion, leek, asparagus, artichokes, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, beans

My first ten days on Atkins was just great -- I did it according to my memories of Atkins from the 70s/80s -- and primarily ate meat & eggs, with a stray leaf, here or there. I lost 13 pounds in ten days.

Then, unfortunately, I found the official Atkins website and learned that everything I was doing was wrong -- I was supposed to eat 20 net carbs of LOW carb veggies, and drink mammoth amounts of water.

All weight loss stopped.

And all sorts of symptoms began recurring.

Ever since then, I have eaten more cabbage, green beans, brussel sprouts and onions - than I've eaten in the last decade.

Seriously.

Also, I believe that my severe iron deficiency is from all the fruits & veggies that I was eating before I started Atkins Induction, whereas I believed it was because the iron in beans & legumes isn't bioavailable.

Sympoms of fructose intolerance include iron deficiency, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, diarrhea and/or constipation.

I'd never heard of fructose intolerance before yesterday...

I'm just appalled at how many of those foods are being PUSHED nowadays - all in the name of health, we are urged to have 9 servings daily of fruits and vegetables.... yet this is WRONG, because at least one-third of the population is Fructose Intolerant.

Last edited by lil' annie : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 08:47.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 09:29

BF:

FODMAPs are a group of short chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed. They are therefore fermented by intestinal bacteria releasing gas and leading to these symptoms. You have been advised to avoid the following FODMAPs for a period of at least 8 weeks after which time your dietitian will advise you whether to challenge any of the FODMAP groups.

What Foods Need to be Limited?

1. Foods with EXCESS FRUCTOSE

· Honey
· Apples
· Pears
· Mandarin
· Peach
· Mango
· Watermelon
· Honeydew melon
· Lychee
· Carambola, star fruit
· Nashi fruit
· Coconut cream / coconut milk
· Tinned fruit in natural juice (pear juice)
· Fructose or corn syrup
· Fruit juice (limit safe fruits to 1/3 glass)
· Dried fruit (limit safe fruits to 1 tablespoon)

2. Foods with FRUCTANS

· Wheat (in large amounts)
· Rye (in large amounts)
· Onion: brown, white, spring, spanish, shallots
· Leeks
· Artichokes
· Zucchini
· Chicory - Ecco, Caro drinks
· Dandelion Tea
· Inulin (artificial fibre added to products, e.g. dairy foods)
· Fructo-oligo saccharides (FOS) (artificial fibre added to some nutritional supplements)

3. Foods with SORBITOL

· Apricots
· Peaches
· Nectarines
· Cherries
· Plums
· Apples
· Pears
· Artificially sweetened gums, mints, lollies
· Artificial sweeteners: Sorbitol, Mannitol, Xylitol, Isomalt

4. Foods with RAFFINOSE

· Cabbage
· Brussel sprouts
· Green beans
· Asparagus
· Legumes: chickpeas, lentils, red kidney beans, baked beans

========================================================

What Are The Safe Foods?

SUITABLE alternatives to honey:

- Jam, marmalade
· vegemite, marmite, promite, Aussie Mite, Mighty Mite, Vege Spread
· peanut butter
· maple syrup, treacle, golden syrup, rice syrup

Fruits that are SUITABLE:

· Berries: blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, cranberry, raspberry, strawberries
· Citrus: cumquat, lemon, grapefruit, lime, orange, tangelo
· Melons: cantaloupe
· Other: banana, jackfruit, kiwifruit, grapes, passionfruit, pineapple, rhubarb, tamarillo, tomato, avocado, guava, pawpaw, lychee, persimmon
-the quantity of these is important. No more than the size of a small orange at a time.
- separate each serving by ~2 hours.

Vegetables that are SUITABLE:

· Alfalfa
· Bamboo shoots
· Beanshoot
· Beetroot
· Bok Choy
· Broccoli
· Capsicum
· Carrot
· Cauliflower
· Celery
· Chilli
· Chive
· Corn
· Cucumber
· Eggplant
· Fennel
· Kohlrabi
· Lettuce
· Olive
· Parsnip
· Peas
· Potato
· Pumpkin
· Marrow
· Mushroom
· Silverbeet
· Snow Peas
· Spinach
· Squash
· Swede
· Sweet Potato
· Sweet Corn
· Taro
· Turnip
· Waterchestnut
· Watercress

SUITABLE alternatives to Ecco, Caro and Dandelion Tea:

Enjoy tea, coffee (regular and decaffeinated), tea infusions, herbal teas, hot water

Note: Caffeine can be a gastric irritant. You may want to minimise your coffee intake to <2 cups per day if you suspect caffeine contributes to your symptoms.

SUITABLE alternatives to Onion:

· Onion is a MAJOR problem, even when eaten in small amounts

· Check commercially prepared products eg. sauces, soups, canned flavoured tuna
· Consider Asafoetida powder (Indian spice markets) for onion flavour
· Use other herbs and spices to flavour food.
· Garlic is usually tolerated in small amounts (minimise if symptoms persist)

· You may be able to cook with (but not eat) onion:

- Cut onion into large strips for easy removal
- Cut onion into large chunks in stir fries, but leave behind on plate
- Use whole onions in gravies of casseroles and remove prior to serving
- In soups, place onions in muslin bag/stocking while cooking, then remove.

Understanding wheat fructan restriction:

· Wheat-based products are only a problem when WHEAT IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT, e.g. bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, etc,

· Where wheat is an ingredient in only small amounts (eg. biscuit crumbs on the chocolate coating of an icecream) it is NOT a problem.

· There are many wheat ingredients that are safe, as they do not contain fructans. These include:
- wheat starch, wheat thickeners
- wheat maltodextrin, wheat dextrin
- wheat dextrose
- wheat glucose, wheat glucose syrup, and
- wheat colour caramel.

Wheat Free / Gluten Free? There is a difference:

People who are gluten free cannot have any traces of wheat, rye, oats and barley

- The diet for fructose malabsorption is only low wheat so you can eat rye, oats, barley and small amounts of wheat or wheat ingredients.
- Gluten free products are wheat free, so they are suitable for fructose malabsorption, but you still need to be aware of fructose ingredients such as onion, honey and fruit.

Wheat Alternatives:

Bread

Problem- Wheat based including:- white, wholemeal, multigrain, sourdough, spelt, kumut, dinkle, flat breads, Rye breads.

Suggested Alternative- Gluten free
Pasta- Regular pasta is made from wheat
Suggested Alternative- Gluten free pasta

Breakfast Cereal

Problem- Most are made from wheat, many also contain lage amounts of dried fruit.
Suggested Alternative- Porridge, cornflakes, rice rubbles, Wheat free muesli. Gluten free cereals.

Noodles

Problem- Two Minute, Hokkein, Udon

Suggested alternative-Rice Noodles, buckwheat (soba) noodles

Cakes, baked goods

Problem-Most are made from wheat. Cakes, muffins, scones, crumpets, croissants, puddings. Fruit cakes are a double problem!

Suggested alternative- Gluten free cakes and mixes (eg. Basco, Well and Good), Cornflour sponge, Flourless cakes.

Savoury biscuit

Problem- Usually wheat based eg. Salda, Sao, Jatz, water crackers.

Suggested alternative- Corn thins, Rice cakes, Rice crackers (check onion powder, Eskal crackers and pretzels.

Sweet Biscuit

Problem- Wheat based eg. Tim Tams, Teddy Bear, Country Cream

Suggested alternative- Gluten free (eg. D’Lush, Eskal wafers, Freedom Foods), Almond Macaroons, Arnotts Rice cookies

Pastry

Problem- Wheat based pies, pastries

Suggested alternative- Gluten Free pasty mixes (Orgran), Eat the middle out - leave pastry behind!.

Breadcrumbs

Problem- Wheat based pies, pastries

Suggested Alternative- Gluten free crumbs (Orgran, Freedom Foods), Polenta, Cornflake Crumbs

Other

Problem- Semolina, couscous. bulgar.

Suggested alternative- Polenta, Millet, buckwheat, Sorghum.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by lil' annie : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 09:34.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 09:47

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Wow! Thank you! This is very helpful for my experiment.

Looks like I'll be checking the ingredients of breads and pasta in the gluten free section at the store.

Patrick
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 10:10

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thank you, Annie - that's great!

This discussion keeps reminding me of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I found this handly comparison between SCD and FODMAP elimination:
http://www.ibsfree.net/
Quote:
The main similarity is the underlying principle that malabsorbed carbohydrates are fermented by colonic microbes, and that symptoms result.

The differences, I believe, are due to changes in our understanding of sugar absorption and malabsorption, and to advances in food technology that had not taken place at the time Ms. Gotschall wrote her book.

One significant difference between the two diets regards the now better understood role of fructose intolerance as a cause of GI symptoms. The SCD relies heavily on honey as a sweetener. Honey has a lot of excess fructose, and is not allowed on the FODMAPS elimination diet. Apples, which also contain a lot of fructose, are allowed on the SCD but not on the FODMAPS elimination diet. On the other hand, granulated sugar is allowed on the FODMAPS diet but not on the SCD.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 10:16

BF:
Default Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, iron deficiency

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=385222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
From The Telegraph
London, UK
8 November, 2008

Fruitless ways to lift depression

Five a day is not always healthy, says Jane Alexander

Dr Harald Stossier is the king of food intolerances. Head of the famous Viva Mayr clinic in Austria, and now also practising in London, he can spot a gluten intolerance or an adverse reaction to dairy products a mile off. So when he attributes my tiredness, depression and bloating to one kind of food I'm expecting the usual suspects.

''Fruit,'' he says, smiling. ''Or rather, should I say, fructose.''

Fruit? How on earth can anyone be intolerant of fruit? We are told to eat more fruit because it is so incredibly good for us. But for the estimated 30-35 per cent of the population who suffer from fructose malabsorption (FM), eating something as seemingly innocuous as an apple could cause bloating and stomach pains, fatigue and confusion, depression and anxiety and even sore, aching eyes.

Fructose is a sugar that occurs in varying degrees in fruit, while fructan (chains of fructose molecules) occurs in some vegetables and also in wheat. Usually these are processed in the small intestine but for people with FM, they pass largely unchanged into the large intestine where they wreak havoc.

''The sugars stay in the bowel and produce hydrogen or methane gas, hence the pain and gassiness,'' explains nutritional therapist and lecturer Emma Wells. She believes a large proportion of her clients with irritable bowel syndrome or chronic fatigue have problems with fructose.

But how can it affect mood? Dr Stossier says that FM affects levels of the amino acid tryptophan, a precursor of serotonin, one of the major hormones that regulate mood and sleep. Many people, he says, are taking antidepressants unnecessarily when they just need to change their diet.

The good news is that the right diet can apparently switch off FM — and you don't need to avoid all fruits all the time. Australian research (reported in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association) found that steering clear of foods high in fructose helped the majority of sufferers.

Not all fruits are equal and some, such as apples, pears and melon, contain far higher levels of fructose than others.

In the Australian study, FM sufferers merely cut out high-fructose foods, but both Dr Stossier and Emma Wells recommend an initial period during which you avoid it before gradually reintroducing low-fructose foods.

This kind of exclusion diet, however, could leave you short of essential nutrients, warns pharmacist Shabir Daya. He suggests that, if undergoing the initial embargo, you take a supplement such as Ultra Juice Red by Nature's Plus (£19.65 for 90 tablets from www.victoriahealth.com ).

Part of me wants to shout from the rooftops for more awareness of FM. The other part winces at the idea of yet another trendy intoler-ance making dinner parties even more difficult.

Dr Frankie Phillips of the British Dietetic Association also dreads another faddy bandwagon.

While conceding that ''a minority may be fructose malabsorbing", she insists: ''For most people, eating fruit makes a positive contribution to the diet. Most of us probably don't eat enough.''

For me, however, the proof of the pudding was in the not eating. After just a couple of weeks without fructose, the world became a brighter and more fragrant place.

The following foods are high in fructose and must be treated with care if you have FM:

• Fruits: apples, pears, guava, melon and watermelon, quince, papaya, lychees; dried fruits and dried fruit bars; fruit juices, fruit concentrate, fruit sauces and chutneys (including tomato and BBQ sauce).

• Vegetables: onions, including spring onions and shallots, leeks, asparagus, artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes, chicory, radicchio, and endives

• Grains: wheat (bread, pasta, sauces, beer, cakes).

• Others: honey, coconut cream, corn syrup, fortified wine such as sherry or port.

Dr Harald Stossier practises at various clinics in London: www.viva-mayr.com. Emma Wells practises in Brighton and London: www.smartnutrition.co.uk . FM can be diagnosed by a hydrogen breath test (expensive and time-consuming) but many nutritional therapists prefer to rely on a case history and use an elimination diet to test out the diagnosis.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=385222
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 10:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Thank you, Annie - that's great!

This discussion keeps reminding me of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I found this handly comparison between SCD and FODMAP elimination:
http://www.ibsfree.net/

Thanks so much, by the time the SCD came out, I'd simply given up finding any real improvement -- however, I did know that when I fasted on water or on water & coffee, that I felt fine. Absolutely FINE.

Unfortunately, most of the fasting books written last century always advised to break the fast with diluted fruit juice.

OR... worse yet, would advise a fruit juice fast.

I'm positive that I either have Fructose Intolerance, OR... in my attempts to achieve health, I've made myself eat copious amounts of veggies, fruits, beans & legumes - and I was always heavy on the onions, as there are so many articles touting their health benefits.

I may not have needed any additional help from HFCS soda drinks to pass over the 'safety' point of fructose consumption.

Can you imagine?

Two foods which NEVER bother me are potatoes & white rice --- and now I believe I may know why.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 10:50

BF:

"granulated sugar is allowed on the FODMAPS diet but not on the SCD."

Why would they ever allow sugar ?? They must know it's 50% fructose !

I don't get this.

Patrick
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:02

BF:

"Conclusion:
While more research is needed to confirm the association between gluten intake and schizophrenia and whether dietary change can ameliorate schizophrenic symptoms, health care providers could consider screening patients with schizophrenia for celiac disease and/or augment the medical regimen with a gluten-free or low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet."

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/10

Maybe it's the fructose too causing mayhem here...

Patrick
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
"granulated sugar is allowed on the FODMAPS diet but not on the SCD." Why would they ever allow sugar ?? They must know it's 50% fructose !
I think FODMAPS exclusions limit foods with "excess" fructose (F:G ratio >1) and 50% is not quite an "excess" in their minds. A balance being safe means that glucose somehow stops the bad affects of fructose ... but I don't see any explanation of how this could actually happen. Glucose isn't good for you either!

It would be better to limit the absolute amount of fructose (while still keeping within your total carbs limit). On this list, 100g of blueberries (4.97% fructose) are ~2X worse than 100g of oranges (2.25%) or even OJ (2.56%)!

http://nutrition.whatfoods.com/nutr...up=0900&sort=LH

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 11:26.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:17

BF:

Quote:
"granulated sugar is allowed on the FODMAPS diet but not on the SCD."

Why would they ever allow sugar ?? They must know it's 50% fructose !

I don't get this.

Patrick

Yo! .... You haven't read any of the links about Fructose Malabsorption or about Hereditary Fructose Intolerance.

That's where it's explained that if the specific item has BOTH glucose AND fructose, in fairly balanced amounts, then it is safe.

Didn't you notice all the 'strange' items on those lists which are deemed SAFE, like carrots, for instance?
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I think FODMAPS exclusions limit foods with "excess" fructose (F:G ratio >1) and 50% is not quite an "excess" in their minds.

It would be better to limit the absolute amount of fructose (while still keeping within your total carbs limit). On this list, 100g of blueberries (4.97% fructose) are ~2X worse than 100g of oranges (2.25%) or even OJ (2.56%)!

Your link doesn't work, so here's a google search with all the results for "low fructose" from that website, which has very long webpages:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ow+fructose%22+
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:24

BF:

Thanks. That's a great tool.

Here is the working link (was unable to open yours).

Patrick
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
"Conclusion:
While more research is needed to confirm the association between gluten intake and schizophrenia and whether dietary change can ameliorate schizophrenic symptoms, health care providers could consider screening patients with schizophrenia for celiac disease and/or augment the medical regimen with a gluten-free or low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet."

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/10

Maybe it's the fructose too causing mayhem here...

Patrick

Hey, with all the research you're doing, you're gonna end up bankrupting a few pharmaceutical companies and destroying the psychiatric industry which will have to lay off EVERYBODY,

I seriously believe in these lists.

I believe that once all the research is in, that we will know why plenty of those skinny people who can eat half a cake never gain any weight, is simply due to the extraordinary lack of fructose normally in their day to day diet.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Yo! .... You haven't read any of the links about Fructose Malabsorption or about Hereditary Fructose Intolerance.

That's where it's explained that if the specific item has BOTH glucose AND fructose, in fairly balanced amounts, then it is safe.

Didn't you notice all the 'strange' items on those lists which are deemed SAFE, like carrots, for instance?

Ah ok, now I understand that they are not trying to stay away from fructose. They are just looking at solving their actual issues. Should have seen that, sorry.

Sugar maybe safe for their issue, but it's not safe for our health. I'm looking at all this from the point of view that fructose, in whatever forms, causes the metabolic syndrome when taken in excess.

Patrick
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 11:31

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Patrick, It would be interesting in your test to pick a number of grams of fructose to allow per day 5g? 10g? to see what level controls symptoms. Note with this tool you can search various types of foods by changing the food category at the top.

I do find it interesting that the higher-fructose LC foods are ones that tend to give me cravings (but so do potatoes, with 0g fructose).