Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've seen both commercials and if you listen very carefully to the dialogue the person promoting corn syrup says "when used in moderation". That is how they protect themselves because it puts the usage responsibility back into the hands of the consumer (just how I see it though). What is the true definition of moderation? is what lawyers would argue.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 08:44

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

How about this video? "its not HFCS that's making you fat..its the calories in it that are making you fat!" dontcha know!
Like some of the comments on there--its not ice cream making you fat, its the calories in the ice cream. and another one, yeah, cocaine is made from natural coca plant, so its fine for me to do it in moderation, right??

things that make you go Grr.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zb...feature=related
It's like they are persuading us to eat it. I don't understand why it needs to be in things that don't need it! Had to give up my fav salsa because of it! I've only seen the commercials on youtube, not on TV. They infuriate me!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 21:32
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default ... in for a sweet surprise?

I just heard on radio the reason they put the phosphoric acid in sugary sweet drinks like pop: when the 10 tsp of HFCS hit your blood within the first 10 minutes-- without the added phosphoric acid you would surely vomit
Quote:
In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don?t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There?s plenty of that at this particular moment)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
>60 Minutes: The caffeine?s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you?ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you?ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You?ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

So, yes there is a chemical in soda to stop you from vomiting.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 21:44
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Mike D,

I love that. I am going to keep a copy of that with me. I gave up diet coke and it was tough but I knew it was bad for me. How could you now with all those chemicals. I can't believe after 2 months and nothing but water, I love it. No sweeteners, nothing. Just water with lots of ice.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-08, 06:56

Plan: Belly Fat Cure
Stats: 172/167.8/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 10%

Mike D,
I just read your post outloud. My husband said that if they'd leave the phosphoric acid out, it'd make a good diet soda!
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-08, 07:32

BF:
Default HFCS Links to References on the web

Maybe preaching to the choir but someone searching HFCS may find this helpful...

Blue italic text represents brief quotes from these articles.

Six Reasons Why Corn is Making You Fat: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...0/corn-fat.aspx
Fructose is Metabolized to Fat

The digestive and absorptive processes for glucose and fructose are different. Unlike glucose, which the body uses, when one consumes large amounts of fructose it is a relatively unregulated source of fuel for the liver to convert to fat and cholesterol. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. It is also known to raise triglycerides significantly.

Most Fructose is Consumed as a Liquid

The fact that most fructose is consumed in a liquid form significantly magnifies its negative metabolic effects. The devastation it has on our biology would be significantly lessened if it were consumed in solid food, but as I mentioned above, most fructose is consumed in soft drinks and fruit juices.

Fructose Does Not Stimulate Insulin Secretion

In addition, unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin, a hormone thought to be involved in appetite regulation, production. Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat and body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased food intake and weight gain.

Fructose Has no Enzymes, Vitamins or Minerals...

Corn is a Grain, Not a Vegetable

Contrary to common belief, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, and is definitely not fit as a dietary staple and mainstay, primarily because it contains high amounts of sugar. When early Native Americans changed their diet to one based mostly on corn, they had increased rates of the following:

* Anemia
* Dental cavities
* Osteoarthritis
* Bone infections and other bone problems

Corn is Everywhere in the American Diet...

More Problems with High Fructose Corn Syrup
: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-part-four.aspx
Fructose, however, doesn't stimulate insulin secretion or increase leptin production or suppress production of ghrelin. Therefore, researchers suggest that consuming a lot of fructose, similar to consuming a lot of fat, may contribute to weight gain.

Additionally, fructose is converted into the chemical backbone of trigylcerides more efficiently than glucose, and elevated levels of trigylcerides are linked to an increased risk of heart disease. One study found that fructose produced significantly higher blood levels of triglycerides in men, although not in women, leading researchers to say that diets high in fructose may be undesirable, especially for men.

Further, fructose may alter the magnesium balance in the body, leading to an acceleration of bone loss, according to a USDA study. (Original source: Washington Post)

Fructose Raises Triglyceride Levels: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-part-one.aspx
Includes references to 2 university researchs

How Fructose, Insulin and Syndrome X Can Change Your Life: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...syndrome-x.aspx

Fructose Is No Answer for a Sweetener: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-part-two.aspx
Lists 16 objective reasons why fructose is bad

Fructose Is Not an Acceptable Sugar: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...part-three.aspx
Fructose, compared with glucose, is preferentially metabolized to fat in your liver.

It was found that in animal models fructose consumption produces:

* Insulin resistance
* Impaired glucose tolerance
* High insulin levels
* High triglycerides
* Hypertension

Last edited by riverside : Sun, Sep-21-08 at 07:01.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 05:52

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

I'd like to work out a way to run my car on HFCS- I'll film my own commercial showing me licking my gas cap and putting cash in my pocket.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 07:48

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 259/213.6/159 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashyc
I'd like to work out a way to run my car on HFCS- I'll film my own commercial showing me licking my gas cap and putting cash in my pocket.
OH MY GOODNESS! You and my husband would make quite a team! He just read a book.... a HUGE BOOK...called Alchohol is a Gas. My husband says if you ferment anything with sugar in it, it will turn to alchohol. One guy used stale doughnuts! 50 cents a gallon!

Kelly
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 08:17

BF:

Sounds great! I'd like to see soybeans used for energy too, not human consumption. I have a friend who makes his own bio-diesel fuel. His car smells like french fries and his licence plate is "VEG-OIL." He heats his house with it too. More power to him!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/148/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I saw it.. And all I can think about is because everyone knows how bad it is for you a lot of companies are loosing business and they are trying to boost sales.

I remember being very small and my mom use to not let us put anything in the shopping cart if there was Fructrose, Corn Syrup or anything derived from that. It was all sugar no matter what you call it.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-08, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Effects of four-week high-fructose diet on gene expression in skeletal muscle of healthy men.fructose may induce early molecular changes in skeletal muscle prior to the development of whole-body insulin resistance.............A high-fructose diet led to alterations of SCD-1, GLUT-4 and PGC-1alpha, which may be early markers of insulin resistance.

This Jimmy Moore article explains a bit more about the SCD-1 gene.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-08, 16:36

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Thumbs down Corn Is Making You Fat

I saw one of those ads too and couldn't believe my eyes ...

Especially since a while back GMA had on someone who made a documentary called "King Corn: Is Corn Making You Fat?".

Corn is in EVERYTHING ... kind of scary actually.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/st...=4439943&page=1
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 18:34

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriane200
I saw it.. And all I can think about is because everyone knows how bad it is for you a lot of companies are loosing business and they are trying to boost sales.

I remember being very small and my mom use to not let us put anything in the shopping cart if there was Fructrose, Corn Syrup or anything derived from that. It was all sugar no matter what you call it.

Agreed, but a small point of contention....real sugar, even with it's overuse in products, is probably better for you than HFCS......
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 05:31

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Everything that comes in a wrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssusthang
Corn is in EVERYTHING ... kind of scary actually.

You're still pretty safe if you can visually identify all the "parts." Like kale. Or carrots. Less so with meat, because most supermarket meats are corn-fed, UNO. But then meat's always in a wrapper.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 08:09

Stats: 239.5/214/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
So is moonshine.

Cow manure is also "all natural and made from corn," but I don't necessarily want it in my food.