Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 08:13

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'm in starting Monday.

We're going to go no-sweets for 2 weeks, except 1 small dish of strawberries with cream. 4 weeks if I can sell the DH on it.

Then its 99% meat and veggies for the rest of the summer. A little nut butter and some berries. And maybe cinnamunch pork puffs which I just tried yesterday and are fantastic.

Working out hopefully 3 times per week.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 08:44
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome to everyone! It's nice to be part of this group with you.

I'm down 1.4 pounds from this time yesterday morning. It's nice to see the scale moving in the right direction again.

Y'all have a great day, and keep it LC!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 15:06
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'll be starting a regular exercise routine this Sunday. My doctor and I have concluded that even though my blood sugar levels are perfectly controlled by my lc eating plan (which she strongly approves of), I may have Metabolic Syndrome. That would explain why I have such a difficult time losing weight. Exercise is one of the "treatments" for metabolic syndrome (what used to be called Syndrome X), so it certainly won't hurt to add in some regular activity.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 17:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I started going to a fittness center this March, I think it has been helping me a great deal, I am stalled at the moment but I can live with that, at least for now....I have lowered the carbs back down and will see if that has been the problem.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: PP, Atkins
Stats: 186/160/120 Female 60 Inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well I've dropped 5lbs of that 7lbs or so water weight. The temp was 105 two days ago. Supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow (Thurs). Possible rain Fri. Go figure.
Kisal, what kind of exercise are you starting? I'm sure I'm insulin resistant, but no official diagnosis. It's really hard to make myself workout (or even GET out) in the really hot weather. I know I have to do it, though.
Those of you who've lost weight in the last couple of days, what are you doing differently? I'm thinking I may need to cut dairy, and the prospect is just....... Cutting out cheese? And homemade yoghurt? And cream with berries, in my smoothies, in my coffee? Do you think I'd have to stop with the whey protein, too?
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 20:53

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you cut out dairy, you'd need to cut out whey and casien, too. And probably butter, as well.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 21:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I cut out dairy cold turkey today because it turned on me about a month ago and I started getting stomach cramps every time I ate it. I'll miss those things, too, and I'll have a hard time getting enough fat, but I don't want to feel sick. It is a big toughie to cut out dairy as part of this WOE

I am doing OK - big whooshes as I restart very clean Atkins, although it has left me wondering if it's worth it because I am dragging and can't get through my runs (I am working on building my speed and mileage for a half-marathon). I'm afraid I am losing muscle, too. part of me just wants to get my 30 pounds out of the way without trying to exercise at the same time, then resume training once I'm done.

I continue to be discouraged by my size. I just saw a post from a woman who weighs more than where I started 60 pounds ago, but we wear the same size. I don't know why this is so discouraging to me, but I am sick of always having to wear the biggest sizes and not being sure if even the biggest size will fit (24 for some catalogs and stores) if it is tailored and not stretchy. It just stresses me out alot that women who are bigger and weigh more get to enjoy clothes I can't and know that if they just lose some weight they can get into a normal size like a 10. I just feel like I must look like a freak - I have never fit into non plus sizes even at my thinnest (152 pounds). Anyway, you can see all the whooshing is messing with my head.

Janine
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 08:27
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Janine, if you don't mind some suggestions from my experience ~ I run, too, and also find I'm dragging through my runs when I'm on very low-carb. In my experience, your impulse to stop running and concentrate on losing the weight is a step in the right direction. Don't stop running, just stop working on speed and concentrate on your mileage, even if you have to drop the pace you are currently running at. Put away your watch and just start running at a pace you feel comfortable at, increasing your mileage as you want to. You'll be slower, but you'll be building that aerobic base you need for a half and burning lots of calories to help lose weight. If your protein intake is adequate, the large muscle exercise of running will help you retain your muscle base. You'll get faster as you get lighter and you'll get faster as your body adapts to the very low-carb. And when you are closer to your half, maybe 3-4 months out, you can start adding back in some work to increase your speed.

I don't know if you have the same problem, but I tend to run at a fairly high intensity on most of my runs (maybe 7-7.5 out of 10 perceived exertion) and it's just not possible to keep that up and improve while doing very low-carb. It bugs me to no end, but when I cut back my intensity to maybe 5ish out of 10, I can run without feeling like I'm dragging my butt due to the lack of carbs.

Just my experience, if it helps.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Janine, if you don't mind some suggestions from my experience ~ I run, too, and also find I'm dragging through my runs when I'm on very low-carb. In my experience, your impulse to stop running and concentrate on losing the weight is a step in the right direction. Don't stop running, just stop working on speed and concentrate on your mileage, even if you have to drop the pace you are currently running at. Put away your watch and just start running at a pace you feel comfortable at, increasing your mileage as you want to. You'll be slower, but you'll be building that aerobic base you need for a half and burning lots of calories to help lose weight. If your protein intake is adequate, the large muscle exercise of running will help you retain your muscle base. You'll get faster as you get lighter and you'll get faster as your body adapts to the very low-carb. And when you are closer to your half, maybe 3-4 months out, you can start adding back in some work to increase your speed.

I don't know if you have the same problem, but I tend to run at a fairly high intensity on most of my runs (maybe 7-7.5 out of 10 perceived exertion) and it's just not possible to keep that up and improve while doing very low-carb. It bugs me to no end, but when I cut back my intensity to maybe 5ish out of 10, I can run without feeling like I'm dragging my butt due to the lack of carbs.

Just my experience, if it helps.

That's very helpful. Thank you. I think a couple things happened. I had a fall on my knee and a bone bruise on my leg from over a month ago that started acting up when I whooshed down so I need to take care of those in addition to fighting the fatigue. I'll be running in the pool for that until I feel like I can run without reinjuring them. I am a lucky runner in the sense that my perceived exertion is not very high and I can run very comfortably for a long time, but if I ramped it down at all I would hardly be running (I run 12:30 miles). My lung capacity is very good and I can talk through any workout, so in that sense I am not overdoing it ever. I think my body is just rebelling in all sorts of ways right now and I need to take it easy. I'll run in the pool today and see if I can get to work next week running on at least one day (about 5 miles on my new route). Thanks four your suggestions - I just bought a watch but I'll wait to use it and just enjoy the warm weather running I can do now.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Reporting in.

Food is not quite on target but it's getting there.

I'm getting into a routine.

Salad is tasty again, that's a good sign.

I'm drinking a lot of water now, that's a good sign, too.

I lost my spring 10, well 9 this year,.

I think spring is finally here fore me, lol!!!
  #56   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:30
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Those of you who've lost weight in the last couple of days, what are you doing differently?

Stepped away from the evil pork rinds. That cut calories AND sodium. My ankles are still swelling every evening, though. I don't know what's up with that.

Awww Janine....((hug)).
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:48
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

What do you guys find the most difficult "discipline" to get consistent and long-term on lowcarb? Just curious.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:55
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
That's very helpful. Thank you. I think a couple things happened. I had a fall on my knee and a bone bruise on my leg from over a month ago that started acting up when I whooshed down so I need to take care of those in addition to fighting the fatigue. I'll be running in the pool for that until I feel like I can run without reinjuring them. I am a lucky runner in the sense that my perceived exertion is not very high and I can run very comfortably for a long time, but if I ramped it down at all I would hardly be running (I run 12:30 miles). My lung capacity is very good and I can talk through any workout, so in that sense I am not overdoing it ever. I think my body is just rebelling in all sorts of ways right now and I need to take it easy. I'll run in the pool today and see if I can get to work next week running on at least one day (about 5 miles on my new route). Thanks four your suggestions - I just bought a watch but I'll wait to use it and just enjoy the warm weather running I can do now.

Sounds like you are smarter than me, running at a lower perceived exertion to start with. I'm slow, too, I run exactly your pace when I'm running at that lowered perceived exertion. The problem is I keep trying to run 10:30 or 11 minute miles. I can, but I get injured easily - a hamstring pull this year and a hip problem the year before. So I hear you on the injuries, they are a pain, in more ways than one.

I'll take back my suggestions, then, you are already way ahead of me in taking care of yourself. Good luck on the half, I'm hoping to try one myself in the winter or next spring.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
What do you guys find the most difficult "discipline" to get consistent and long-term on lowcarb? Just curious.

Eating enough fat and calories to not want to eat carbs just for the energy boost.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:17

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 475/420/180 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Stepped away from the evil pork rinds. That cut calories AND sodium. My ankles are still swelling every evening, though. I don't know what's up with that.

Awww Janine....((hug)).

Pork Rinds are bad? From my earlier readings and Atkins I thought they were good - I haven't gotten to the store yet to try them out. Do I want to avoid all together? I was thinking they and pickles would save me from my munchies. No?