Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>The regular miracle whip had .3 grams of carbs a tablespoon.>>

According to my Atkins carb counter, Miracle Whip has 3.5 net carbs per Tbs.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 08:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228.5/219/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%

BTW, according to the Miracle Whip package, it states the same, SJT. I miss my miracle whip

So basically, what I've learned, over the last several pages of this thread is this: Not one thing works for everyone. Because some of the things people have stated are completely opposite of other people. Just goes to show you how unique we all are.

I am excited that since I wrote this original thread, I have dropped 3 lbs and my keto stick changed to REALLY dark yesterday. I've removed: bars, shakes, onions and have upped my cals slightly (to about 1000, I just can't seem to get more on an average day).
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 08:08

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I use Miracle Whip lite and always have. I'm losing very well.

I don't use a ton, however! Like 2 tablespoons a month and I adjust my carbs to include it.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 11:30

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I did not read this whole thread - forgive me. but I did want to also mention any type of exercise or movement helps as well.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/118/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy39
I did not read this whole thread - forgive me. but I did want to also mention any type of exercise or movement helps as well.

Hello Entropy,

I am a dance aerobics instructor part time, 3 times a week I teach a Latin dance
aerobics (intense interval class) I lost 48lbs in a six months period, you may think it is not that much. But listen to this: I stalled for 3 months before I started my classes and I use to consume about 20 to 23 carbs a day. During my six months of my training classes I tripled the carbs about 60 a day ate like
a maniac, cheated heavily twice a week and still lost 43lbs. I stopped the
classes during tax season ( I am a tax accountant ) January to May, and I stopped loosing and have to keep my carbs under 25grams a day not to gain.
The power of exercising is incredible.
I teach a dance workout called "Zumba" check out their website www.zumba.com. Latin dance targets lower and upper abs muscles which is the most difficult area to burned fat. I hate regular workout and gyms, but with this I don't think I am working out but dancing and having fun.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefertiti
Hello Entropy,

I am a dance aerobics instructor part time, 3 times a week I teach a Latin dance
aerobics (intense interval class) I lost 48lbs in a six months period, you may think it is not that much. But listen to this: I stalled for 3 months before I started my classes and I use to consume about 20 to 23 carbs a day. During my six months of my training classes I tripled the carbs about 60 a day ate like
a maniac, cheated heavily twice a week and still lost 43lbs. I stopped the
classes during tax season ( I am a tax accountant ) January to May, and I stopped loosing and have to keep my carbs under 25grams a day not to gain.
The power of exercising is incredible.
I teach a dance workout called "Zumba" check out their website www.zumba.com. Latin dance targets lower and upper abs muscles which is the most difficult area to burned fat. I hate regular workout and gyms, but with this I don't think I am working out but dancing and having fun.

I used to eat no more than 25 carbs a day. Since ramping up my workouts, I HAVE to eat 40-50 just to feel right. I am hoping I can bring it down a little bit, but I will eat them if it means I feel better. I spent the weekend feeling terrible because I finally bottomed out with the low carbs and had to increase.

Janine
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheHype
BTW, according to the Miracle Whip package, it states the same, SJT. I miss my miracle whip

According to http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=p...duct=2100064511

it's 2 carbs per 15 gr.

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUGAR, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, SPICE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC.

Two forms of sugar are in the top 6 ingredients.

And high fructose corn syrup... ick.

I wouldn't conside it Atkins friendly, at all.

However, it's your journey.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 17:27

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I lost 48lbs in a six months period, you may think it is not that much. .

I think 48 pounds is HUGE!!!congrats to you. I always try to envision weight in visual terms: 48 pounds equals: 48 pkgs of hot dogs, 10 bags of sugar, 2 thanksgiving turkeys, etc etc.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 18:10
Registered Member

Stats: 231/221/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 24%

The one thing that stood out to me from the original post, and typical days diet was not the lack of calories, etc... but the total lack of veggies. During induction, a significant amount of your daily carb intake should be from vegetables.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 07:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by molmerlin
I think 48 pounds is HUGE!!!congrats to you. I always try to envision weight in visual terms: 48 pounds equals: 48 pkgs of hot dogs, 10 bags of sugar, 2 thanksgiving turkeys, etc etc.

When I had lost 48 pounds I was traveling for work. When they weighed my suitcase it was exactly 48 pounds. I couldn't even pick it up!

Janine
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:12

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

That's clever, I'll have to remember that! My 5 year old is 40 pounds, and I have lost 31.5 pounds. When I get to forty, I'm going to have to carry him around a bit and really get a grip on how much weight that is! It's funny that sometimes the amount I have lost so far doesn't seem like much compared to how much is left to lose, but I certainly want to gain all that weight back! LOL!

To keep this back on topic, the OP did say she was only eating 900 calories, which isn't much for most of us. And she was eating a lot of bars and shakes. She is 5'7", so she was probably not getting enough calories for her size. I hope she keeps coming back to this thread and let's us all know how she's doing without them, and hopefully with more veggies and healthy fats in her diet! ;-)
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 15:09

Stats: 228.5/219/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL
The one thing that stood out to me from the original post, and typical days diet was not the lack of calories, etc... but the total lack of veggies. During induction, a significant amount of your daily carb intake should be from vegetables.

No, I always get the veggies I need. If not more. I will not ever give that up. Whether it's my salad or my broccoli, or whatever, I do get the MAX allowed veggies.

BTW, as an update. I have dropped 2 more lbs. I'm going to experiment to see whether it's the onions or bars. I've upped my cals a little bit, but that is really the hardest thing to do for me. Weird.....
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 19:06

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Coming from a low-fat/low-cal background, it was hard for me to up my calories as well, but I have been incorporating healthy fats into my diet, and that makes it easier. I'm so glad to hear you are losing! I will be curious as to your conclusion. I eat onions in small quantities, but save low-carb bars for dire emergencies. They stall me if I eat them regularly:-(
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 21:06
Registered Member

Stats: 178/118/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I used to eat no more than 25 carbs a day. Since ramping up my workouts, I HAVE to eat 40-50 just to feel right. I am hoping I can bring it down a little bit, but I will eat them if it means I feel better. I spent the weekend feeling terrible because I finally bottomed out with the low carbs and had to increase.

Janine

Be careful not to eat too little or cut out the carbs when you are working out.
If you are you are doing intense workouts (500 to 700 calories burn for one hour), Stay with the 40 carbs a day. Why? I have not only research this subject extensively I also tested on my self, If you are doing intense workouts
daily and your are not putting enough calories or carbs (1carb=4caloris), your body will hold on to the fat and slows down. Same principle of starvation diets.
Your body will panic and will not let go. I have done it sadly. When I feed my
body correctly I loose lbs quickly.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:32

BF:

Quote:
Be careful not to eat too little or cut out the carbs when you are working out.
If you are you are doing intense workouts (500 to 700 calories burn for one hour), Stay with the 40 carbs a day. Why? I have not only research this subject extensively I also tested on my self, If you are doing intense workouts
daily and your are not putting enough calories or carbs (1carb=4caloris), your body will hold on to the fat and slows down. Same principle of starvation diets.
Your body will panic and will not let go. I have done it sadly. When I feed my
body correctly I loose lbs quickly.

It's hard to tell how intense my workouts are. I pool run (deep water) for either 45 minutes or an hour, sometimes shallow breath due to exertion. I hold weights as I pump my arms and use the flippers for extra resistance on my feet. The water make it feel not so intense, but I feel like I've had a workout when I get out. Just started lifting again, too, which felt great. Thanks for the advice!

Janine