Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 11:07
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Oh Dearie, dear -- *holding up my hand, feeling the heat from the fast and furious typing on several computer keyboards*

My, how a few honest opinions and stories of personal experiences can heat up the room, so to speak! Let me add to the heat, I guess, or maybe throw a few drops of cold water on it!

My own personal body chemistry -- darn it -- will not tolerate the Atkins nutritional products without throwing my weight loss into a dead stall. It won't tolerate any OTHER companies LC products either, for that matter. I was on a solid roll, exercising at LEAST 45 minutes every day, most days more, only resting on Sundays. My energy level was through the roof -- my outlook on life was so sunny, my family probably wanted to wear sunglasses around me all the time -- it was ALL GOOD. I was thrilled, feeling great.

Then, my Mom and I were at the mall and stumbled across a carbo-lite chocolate bar that promised nothing would affect my blood sugar, blah blah blah -- you all know what the packaging has said/does say. After that, I was on the lookout for more LC products that could give me a treat and add some sweetness back to my diet.

I was still exercising like crazy -- doing all the other stuff as usual -- adding a Low Carb bar after my workout was so great -- I loved it!! But, hopping on the scale, I noticed the weight loss slowing. My BF at the time said, "well, as you lose more, it will slow down. It is natural. You can't keep losing at the same rate, percentage-wise. It's okay." (he -- now my husband -- is an engineer and completely numbers-oriented) I said, "well, ok" and carried on.

I even added some atkins advantage bars since I often didn't have breakfast without one. I started noticing my cravings returning -- I wanted more than just one lc chocolate bar or protein bar. It was ridiculous. Eventually, my scale stopped moving. I wasn't gaining, but I wasn't losing. My motivation flagged, but, because I was a believer in the sanctity of anything with the words Low Carb or Atkins attached to them, I thought something else MUST be wrong. It couldn't POSSIBLY be the bars, etc. After all, they were supposed to help me, not hurt me.

Well, ultimately I came to the conclusion that we are all different. Someone else may be able to eat Low Carb Frankenfood by the truckload and do just fine. Feel good, lose weight, and experience no negative effects whatsoever. For me, that is not the case, and I have read others posts which say the same thing.

There is no right or wrong answer -- there is only trial and error while we all try to travel a road to better quality of life and better health. Some products/methods will work for some and not for others. There is no "blanket solution." We have to find what works best for us personally and offer support and encouragement to others who trying to do the same thing.

That's my two cents!!! *meekly sitting back down and silently fuming because I STILL want to eat that stuff -- I think it tastes pretty good*
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 11:25

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

That is very well put. I do not think they tast that good LOL you I would rather a coffie crisp or some thing but they are not that bad and when I feel like a snack that is what I get. But on that note I do not snack much at all that is my susses. I have cut out a lot of snacking and that has trained my body for portion size and any thing. But when my wife or freinds get a bar our a treat I will go only for an Atkins Bar. That is the life style I have picked and it works so thats ho gets my $$. It is to bad that your body cant handle this stuff.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 11:58
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I love this, it is like watching a tennis game with the ball going back and forth over the net. I love this forum, it gives me so much to think about!!!
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:06
Registered Member

Stats: 230/184/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 115%

What a coincidence, Atkins LC products expanded
after Dr. Atkins passed away.
And what another coincidence, with the decline of sales,
Atkins Nutritional is now in the process to stop pushing
the 'net' carb facet of their products and going with
the glycemic index route.
Bet there will be even more foods they can come up with now
that are "allowed" on their plan.
KAAAA-CHIIIIING!!!!!
"There's one born every minute...."
mrt
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:06

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 439/270/220 Male 66"
BF:YES
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christal
ultimately I came to the conclusion that we are all different. Someone else may be able to eat Low Carb Frankenfood by the truckload and do just fine.

Amen, we are all different thats why we need LC and cannot eat like our carb piggie friends who never gain weight. And we all know someone like that. Try it, if it stalls you reduce or eliminate. What works for you may be different than me. I have 2-3 month now without stalling. If I ate two in a one day period I stall. Trial and error you will figure out what works for you. It's the only treat yes treat that I allow myself. Good luck and by the way the cookies and cream really do suck. Dave.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:10

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt721
What a coincidence, Atkins LC products expanded
after Dr. Atkins passed away.
And what another coincidence, with the decline of sales,
Atkins Nutritional is now in the process to stop pushing
the 'net' carb facet of their products and going with
the glycemic index route.
Bet there will be even more foods they can come up with now
that are "allowed" on their plan.
KAAAA-CHIIIIING!!!!!
"There's one born every minute...."
mrt

Wasn't the change from 'net carbs' to the GI because of the law that was recently passed banning the labeling of carbohydrates on packages? That's what I read in the papers and what I always thought. Companies will no longer be allowed to print the number of carbs or use terms like "low carb" on packages because the all-mighty law makers feel there is no nutritional value in knowing the amount of carbohydrates in food and are trying to decrease the LC 'fad'. What a bunch of bull......they should spend one day on this forum and then try to say that carbs have no role in weight loss or gain!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I just got back from the mall, saw that the bars were on sale, but just walked away - I'm sticking to natural foods.

Vikki
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:11
Registered Member

Stats: 155/110.5/110 Female 64in
BF:15%
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeman
Amen, we are all different thats why we need LC and cannot eat like our carb piggie friends who never gain weight. And we all know someone like that. Try it, if it stalls you reduce or eliminate. What works for you may be different than me. I have 2-3 month now without stalling. If I ate two in a one day period I stall. Trial and error you will figure out what works for you. It's the only treat yes treat that I allow myself. Good luck and by the way the cookies and cream really do suck. Dave.

I LOVE COOKIES AND CREAM!!! I think chocolate decadence is poop though.
If you're stalled try giving up the bars for awhile. I think what really kille me is the atkins ice cream. I only eat that stuff at goal or on special occasions. Right now I'm on about 1/4 of an advantage bar a day- that's how much i can have w/o gaining from them. I wish you good luck Cristal!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:13
Registered Member

Stats: 155/110.5/110 Female 64in
BF:15%
Progress: 99%

people get too mad about this whole bar thing. to each their own i say...enough with the ressentiment, people :-)
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:24
Registered Member

Stats: 230/184/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 115%

Haven't heard of any law here to ban carbs from nutrition charts.
Don't know how they could, what with 'full disclosure
of contents' law now on the books.
And actually, there is no legal definition for 'net' carbs.
That's one of the terms food companies came up with.
Atkins Nutritional, in fact, is going to use the term
'impact carbs', another with no legal definition.
Check this:
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/net-carbs.htm

mrt
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 12:29

BF:

You should look into it mrt. I believe it is the reason for the change in the Atkins co labelling. You seem to have strong opinions about the change....you should get all the facts first

EDA: Sorry, didn't see you were in the US....its Health Canada that has made this announcement....but the Atkins co and other companies that distribute to Canada are starting to follow suit.

Last edited by JennLynnRN : Wed, Apr-13-05 at 12:35.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 13:00

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 439/270/220 Male 66"
BF:YES
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLynnRN
its Health Canada that has made this announcement....but the Atkins co and other companies that distribute to Canada are starting to follow suit.

Hi Jenn this legislation is really going limit our options in Canada. I guess I will be doing a lot of internet purchasing from down south.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 13:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeman
Hi Jenn this legislation is really going limit our options in Canada. I guess I will be doing a lot of internet purchasing from down south.

I have a hard time believing that huge compaines like Atkins will actually be banned from Canada. Call me optimistic, but I think some agreement will be formed. I'll keep my fingers crossed! It really will suck though....I don't care about the LC chocolate and ice cream and all that, but just the little things like LC ketchup and wraps. I will miss the almond brownie bars if they do actually ban them too.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 14:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslyn
As far as what to take to work? An ice chest or lunch back with an ice pack will hold a salad, meat for that salad, cut veggies. Dry packed tuna, chicken, hamburger meat, all available in the tuna isle. Cheese, fresh veggies...it will all hold with a cold pack.

A bar should not be relied on for a meal...especially when right at the beginning of a persons weightloss stage. Save them for late in OWL or pre-maintenance if at all.

Well, if I knew I was going to have to be at work late, I would do that. But since I am usually half way out the door when someone tells me I have to stay all night, that's not an option for every day. I do bring snacks for the day. Usually nuts, cheese, sf jello and pepperoni. All I was looking for was to know if the bars will stall me so that I can keep one in my desk for when I am up against an all-nighter and a pizza menu. So, are you saying that I should just go hungry if I have to rely on a bar for a meal? Nah. Not gonna do that. Tell you what...I think I have enough info now to decide that the bars are fine for me and my way of life. If they stall me, I will drop them. (The tuna and PB ideas are great though and will do that too! )
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 15:24

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLynnRN
Wasn't the change from 'net carbs' to the GI because of the law that was recently passed banning the labeling of carbohydrates on packages?

I actually haven't read anything about the banning of labeling carbs on packages and really have a hard time believing they would do that here in the US because we, as consumers, really insist on seeing it all on a label.

As far as them changing to the GI...The Atkins plan is based the the glycemic index. In Induction the foods are as low glycemic as you can go and that is the reason for the carb ladder in OWL...you go through the rungs and the rungs are compiled of foods ranging from lower glycemic, veggies, up through the higher glycemic, grains. So the GI is not a new thing for the Atkins plan.

BUT, it's just a marketing ploy for the atkins center because they lost so much money with the whole net carb thing. Change the wording, make more money as far as they're concerned...not that it will help.

Sure it's easy to say try it, if it stalls you stop it and that's the advice most people are going to take just because most people are on the search for the greatest substitute they can eat and still lose.

It's funny because people ask these questions concerning the bars all the time, are told the same thing, that most will stall, a few won't. What will they do? They'll eat them and find out for themselves...l have to wonder why even ask the question?? We, as humans, would love to believe that the worst won't happen to us even if it's something as simple as stalling on a weightloss plan.

Remember, this is a new way of eating for the rest of your life. The idea is to leave behind old, bad eating habits...not subsitute them for new ones.