Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 07:09

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So on a trip to a doctor's office one day, my BP actually jumped quite a bit from the number I got at home that morning - it went up to 120/80 at my appointment. My doctor expressed great concern over this. After all, fat chick. BP of 120/80. He told me I had prehypertension, and that I probably needed to be on BP meds.
He insisted on writing the prescription anyway ...

It's maddening, really. I didn't fill the prescription, and I have yet to have a stroke.
If I may ask, are you still going to him?

I quit going to MDs. That way you avoid any "Pre" diagnoses or discussion. I can get regular labs on my own, and since my preference is to pursue diet and lifestyle solutions, and all MDs sell is drugs and procedures, MDs don't offer anything I want.

If I was bleeding or had a broken bone then an MD would be okay. But regular visits, to purchase overpriced chronic treatment for life, also known as a "pre medical condition" , no way.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 07:18
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
I have an example of one of those "pre" conditions which made me nuts. I have, for my entire life, had low blood pressure (usually in the neighborhood of 90/55). However, I also tend to have white coat syndrome, so my BP goes up a bit in the doctor's office. I know this because I measure regularly at home. So on a trip to a doctor's office one day, my BP actually jumped quite a bit from the number I got at home that morning - it went up to 120/80 at my appointment. My doctor expressed great concern over this. After all, fat chick. BP of 120/80. He told me I had prehypertension, and that I probably needed to be on BP meds. I looked at him as if he was nuts and said, "My BP when I left the house was 90/55 this morning. I'm pretty sure BP meds would not be a good idea. I tend to get white coat syndrome and my BP jumps at the doctor's office."

He insisted on writing the prescription anyway because fatty had pre-high BP. Whatever dude - I can't even believe that is a real thing that you can ascertain from one measurement, which was "normal." I seem to recall when I was a normal weight college student and experiencing syncope from my low BP that my doctor told me to eat more salt and to aspire to a BP of 120/80. But 20 years and 100 pounds later, that normal BP number was a "condition" that needed medical management in spite of the fact that, in home BP monitoring on a twice weekly basis, my BP remained as low as it was in college.

It's maddening, really. I didn't fill the prescription, and I have yet to have a stroke.

Your doctor needs to be struck off - 120/80 is a perfectly normal BP and should NOT be medicated.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 09:28

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's it was common knowledge that if you were diabetic you avoided high carb food, so when it became clear to me that I was on my way to being diabetic I cut out all high carb food, grains, sugar and other natural sweeteners, and fruit. I am glad that I assumed I knew what to do and went ahead and did it instead of seeing a doctor and getting what would have been bad advice.

Jean

Where is the like button?
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 09:32

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
And another thing - if you'll allow me to continue my snit for a moment....

I can't stand all of these "pre" conditions. I feel like they are a way to introduce more medications into our lives so that we can all be medicated. For example, if a doctor says, "Hey! You've got pre-diabetes," there's a good chance he or she will prescribe a medication such as metformin when, chances are, appropriate lifestyle/dietary modifications will suffice in preventing the pre-diabetes from becoming full-blown type 2 diabetes. Yet there's a push to prescribe more meds for this "condition" (here's just one article I found in a quick google search http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844072). It's ridiculous.

I have an example of one of those "pre" conditions which made me nuts. I have, for my entire life, had low blood pressure (usually in the neighborhood of 90/55). However, I also tend to have white coat syndrome, so my BP goes up a bit in the doctor's office. I know this because I measure regularly at home. So on a trip to a doctor's office one day, my BP actually jumped quite a bit from the number I got at home that morning - it went up to 120/80 at my appointment. My doctor expressed great concern over this. After all, fat chick. BP of 120/80. He told me I had prehypertension, and that I probably needed to be on BP meds. I looked at him as if he was nuts and said, "My BP when I left the house was 90/55 this morning. I'm pretty sure BP meds would not be a good idea. I tend to get white coat syndrome and my BP jumps at the doctor's office."

He insisted on writing the prescription anyway because fatty had pre-high BP. Whatever dude - I can't even believe that is a real thing that you can ascertain from one measurement, which was "normal." I seem to recall when I was a normal weight college student and experiencing syncope from my low BP that my doctor told me to eat more salt and to aspire to a BP of 120/80. But 20 years and 100 pounds later, that normal BP number was a "condition" that needed medical management in spite of the fact that, in home BP monitoring on a twice weekly basis, my BP remained as low as it was in college.

Off topic a bit, wanted to congratulate you on how much you have lost so far..well done.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 10:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Until BP is severely elevated (160/100) there is no evidence that medication has any benefit, according to a Cochrane report, which is linked within Dr Eenfeldt's excellent "Crash Course on Blood Pressure"
http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:49

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Until BP is severely elevated (160/100) there is no evidence that medication has any benefit, according to a Cochrane report, which is linked within Dr Eenfeldt's excellent "Crash Course on Blood Pressure"
http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure

Both Dr Malcolm Kendrick (http://linkis.com/NdO7M) and Dr Gilbert Welch in his book "Overdiagnosed" agree with this conclusion.

Jean
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

There have been articles in several papers today about a study showing that older adults with hypertension.

Half the study got conventional advice, the other half was told to lower their BPs well below the standard 120/80. They lived longer.

Of course, none of the articles stated whether they used meds or diet or a combination, how much longer is "longer" or any other information to give a rounded out picture of what happened.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 18:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Just the 'clinic smell', after several painful surgeries and procedures, makes my systolic go up about 10 points.

GMO Fears?

Neil deGrasse Tyson "get over it -- everything we eat is GM in one way or another there are no wild foods being sold in stores."
Quote:
Maybe science will give us GMO pasta, bread, potatoes that taste good and are good for us without being fattening, raising blood glucose or inducing diabetes?

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Sep-12-15 at 18:10.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 21:20

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
There have been articles in several papers today about a study showing that older adults with hypertension.

Half the study got conventional advice, the other half was told to lower their BPs well below the standard 120/80. They lived longer.

Here's the best explanation of the study that I could find:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/h...study.html?_r=0
The number of cardiac events was reduced by 1/3 and deaths by 1/4.

I can see an excuse to medicate a lot more people....

"So doctors and guideline makers have a conundrum, Dr. Cushman said. “The epidemiology is consistent that having a systolic pressure of 120 or even below 120 is associated with reduced cardiovascular mortality. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that treating with medications to reach that level will give you that benefit.” The concern is that drugs always have more effects than the one they are being used for. So a blood pressure lowered with drugs is not necessarily the same as one that is naturally lower."

This is my concern--I hope they carefully tracked if the BP was reduced from a previous high, and how that was done.

Last edited by Nicekitty : Sat, Sep-12-15 at 21:28.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 07:18
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/137/130 Female 61 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
It is far easier to pop a pill or two or ten, then change your lifestyle. I live in a 55+ community and 95 % of people I come in contact with take at least 5 different meds. When I try to discuss lifestyle change they look at my like I was from an other planet.
Why are there so many drug ads on TV, so you can tell your doctor you want to try them and most MD are only to happy to prescribe them. Then you ask why some people on a fixed income have to choose between food and meds. When you barely can afford food what do you eat? Ramen nudel. Best way to need more meds.
Many of us can remember the time when there were no drug adverts on TV. The man who made this legal is very proud of himself, though this morning I was unable to find his name. To give it a benign air, they call it DTC (Direct to Consumer) advertising and here's a bit of the history:
Quote:
Direct-to-consumer advertising of drugs has been legal in the USA since 1985, but only really took off in 1997 when the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) eased up on a rule obliging companies to offer a detailed list of side-effects in their infomercials (long format television commercials). Since then the industry has poured money into this form of promotion, spending just under US$5 billion last year alone. The only other country in the world that allows direct-to-consumer drug ads is New Zealand, a country of just over four million people.
Please note that only one other country in the world, New Zealand, is corrupt enough to allow this manipulation of the public. Like any other addicts, once people are hooked, they can't get free. This sometime results in their having to choose between their drugs and paying the rent or buying food.

Anecdote of the morning:
Years ago my father developed a then undiagnosable and painful condition of horribly burning feet. (Naturally we all now know about peripheral neuropathy.) His suffering was unending. I suggested that he see and acupuncturist, to which his response was, "If anybody is going to stick a needle into me, it better be full of drugs." The saddest part of the story is that he was put on oxy and developed dementia.

People trust their doctors to do the best thing for them and in desperation will follow any program they prescribe.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 07:29

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty

"So doctors and guideline makers have a conundrum, Dr. Cushman said. “The epidemiology is consistent that having a systolic pressure of 120 or even below 120 is associated with reduced cardiovascular mortality. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that treating with medications to reach that level will give you that benefit.” The concern is that drugs always have more effects than the one they are being used for. So a blood pressure lowered with drugs is not necessarily the same as one that is naturally lower."

This is my concern--I hope they carefully tracked if the BP was reduced from a previous high, and how that was done.

A lot of things are like that. Inducing a "good reading" or desired lab result with medication is not the same as being there naturally. I was implored to go on blood pressure meds by my gyno but my primary was completely unconcerned. I ran high for about 7 years. Then, poof, with no warning or reason, it just came down on its own. It was probably stress from having young children and not a medical reason, so treating it with medication would have been inappropriate. The last clinical reading I got was 107/67.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 08:43

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
If I may ask, are you still going to him?

It was an urgent care doc - I was there for a kidney stone, which he told me was nephritis and sent me away. He was furious that I would dare to diagnose myself and ignore his "expert" advice. I wound up in the ER that night with a 7 mm kidney stone that hung around for six months. I no longer go to that urgent care clinic. That was my second visit. The first was when he told me I still had a long way to go. He's a real gem, for certain.

I see diagnosing pre-diabetes, pre-hypertension, and lowering the threshold for "high" cholesterol from 300 to 200 as merely an attempt to overmedicate and overtreat and put more money into the pockets of doctors, clinics, and Big Pharma. Especially given the treatment effects of the drugs - like diabetes being associated with statins. For the most part, I treat myself now or go to a naturopath, chiropractor, or other alternative practitioner. I agree - unless I am bleeding or broken, I don't feel medical doctors are a good option. I've been treated terribly by medical doctors since my thyroid broke when I was in my early 20s. Every accurate diagnosis I've received, I've had to find myself and then advocate like crazy until they tested for it. I've been right in every single case.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

in all my trips to urgent care, for ear infections, etc, I've come to the conclusion that they are only good for easily diagnosed issues.

Yup, that ear's inflamed. Yup, you broke that metatarsal. But get more complex, and they haven't a clue. Back when we were dating, Husband had a temp, and ached all over for two days, so I took him to urgent care. The doc there noted that his respirations were rapid, but rather than getting a CXR, she told him that it was because he was nervous about seeing a doc. Three days later, he barely made it into the ER, he was in such pain: he had significant bacterial pneumonia.

During the same week, his dad was having terrible headaches. The urgent care he went to told him it was the flu. In a couple days, he was vomiting from the pain. Went to the ER, was admitted. A CAT scan and an MRI later, we learned that he had subdural hematoma, that had spread itself over the entire top of his brain. He'd fallen, hitting his head, while skiing nearly a month before.

The next morning, the neurosurgeon drained the hematoma.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 10:55

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty

Offical announcement from Sprint
https://www.sprinttrial.org/public/dspHome.cfm
Quote:
SPRINT participants will be seen regularly by experts in blood pressure management for a period of 4 to 8 years

The study was stopped 2 years early because the results were "of great importance to public health." Which makes me wonder what aspect was in danger of producing an undesired result?

According to the design paper participants were enrolled between November 2010 and March 2013.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24902920

The study was called in September 2015, so they have less than 5 years to about 2.5 years of "long term" data.

Thank you, I'll take my chances with "elevated" blood pressure until you show me an all-cause study with a real long term "long term."

ETA: I find it interesting that the dementia part of the study is still going on. Participants are asked to still participate in Sprint even though they're also urged to discuss with their doctors potentially different blood pressure goals. Hmmmm....might that confuse the dementia aspect of the study?

https://www.sprinttrial.org/public/...ter_English.pdf

Last edited by NewRuth : Sun, Sep-13-15 at 11:03.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 20:09

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Every accurate diagnosis I've received, I've had to find myself and then advocate like crazy until they tested for it. I've been right in every single case.
That is a very cool story, and what I am gearing up for. Agree with you on all counts.