Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/147.5/130 Female 5'1 1/2
BF:
Progress: 68%

Fat people should not be condemed for what they buy or eat. It's like the article that has been posted about why you can't be fat and happy. The article mentioned people looking at overweight people eating and saying things like, "no wonder they are so fat." The sad part is if we are on this forum we have made bad food choices and people have said the same things about us. They say there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker - maybe that applies to reformed fat people too!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:36

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I have to agree about older cashiers. Actually, I don't know about the food stamp thing, I doubt that any employee who dared ask about such a thing at the store where I shop would be working there very long.

But I've found that certain older cashiers are just sooo inefficient - they take such a long time to locate the UPC code and then scan things 6 times before it takes, or worse yet has to key in the number by hand. (If I look down and see the scanner glass is covered in all kinds of crumbs and dirt, I know that if they'd take the 30 seconds to clean the glass on the scanner, it might work a whole lot better) So I try to find one that I know is able to ring all the food before it spoils waiting to be run up.

Strangely enough, the really bad cashiers seldom have long lines - everyone who shops there seems to know which ones are bad and which ones are good!

I'm also very picky about which bagger I want bagging my groceries - I take my own bags with me most of the time (canvas ones I made years and years ago), and yet some baggers still insist on putting certain things in plastic bags. Hello?! I brought bags with me, and you're only using two of the five I brought, and instead choosing to use 4 of those stupid plastic ones? They're washable, I don't care if something leaks on them! They need washing again anyway! I'm sick of dealing with tons of those stupid plastic bags! And what's with the deal of putting a carton of eggs in a bag by themselves - and standing them on end?! I've broken more eggs that way - my canvas bags are plenty wide to hold the carton of eggs sitting flat on the bottom.

So my real quandry when I check out at the grocery store is to find a cashier that knows how to scan things quickly, who happens to be working with a bagger who knows how to bag groceries. Most of the time, it's one or the other, not both.

Oh sorry, I guess that turned into another rant ... I probably should have started my own conversation, even though it's not exactly low carb oriented... Except that sometimes the stuff they think is going to mess up my bags is meat or something with an odor to it, like broccoli.
we don't have baggers...we do it all

Last edited by unitydkn : Tue, Feb-27-07 at 18:52.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:47
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I never really thought much about what people noticed in my cart before low carbing. And I can pretty much guarantee that two of the checkers never noticed. Betty and Chris. They of the fake big smile and the rote "Did you find everything you were looking for, honey?" They didn't even respond if you said "No." They'd just go back to bitching to each other about how lazy all of the younger checkers were, and their sinus problems. I could have bought a weapon of mass destruction from one of them if it had a bar code.

I think they have been made redundant now. Thank heavens. It was a toss up, because they were much faster and more efficient than the newer ones, so I'd get in their line if I was really in a hurry, but otherwise I'd go for less negativity and slower service.

Now that I am low carbing, a normal weight, and only buying food for myself, I have been known to buy something labeled "low carb" or "sugar free" pretty much just to try to spread the word about low carbing. Just in case anyone should be checking out what's in the cart. My version of subliminal advertising. Who knows? Someone might be noticing.

I wrote in my journal last summer about a very small local grocery up in New Hampshire, where I noticed that I kept seeing some extremely large people with all low carb friendly foods in their baskets. I decided there must be some sort of local lc weight loss program in the area. I was dying to ask them about it, or just comment "Yay, you!" but of course I simply applauded them silently. I don't believe it is a coincidence when you see 300 pound plus young women with carts full of roasts, chicken, tuna, low g.i. vegetables, cheese and Soy Slender in a grocery the size of the average 7-11.

Cordially yours,

A reformed moderately obese person
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwoman
I looked in on this thread yesterday, and noticed the debate is still going on today. First of all, I'm not sure some people have heard what Unitydkn was actually saying. She wasn't criticizing the "300 lb couple" for what they were buying and eating--she was criticizing the misinformation that people (many of us included) have been given for years about weightloss. Her feeling that she had to bite her tongue was not to keep from sandblasting them with criticism--but to keep from telling them about LC because that would be outside the scope of her "relationship" with them as their grocery store cashier.

I've noticed that different people have different levels of acceptance/tolerance for chatty clerks. I don't mind them at all--I figure it makes their job more interesting--and would much rather a clerk chatted a little bit than stood there prunefaced and ignored me. I'll even tolerate a question about the birthday cake I'm buying because I know it's just idle conversation to pass the time and be friendly.

My 21-year-old daughter, on the other hand, HATES for clerks to strike up personal conversations with her. I don't know why--personality I suppose--but she always feels they are invading her privacy.

Anyway, I guess this thread is in the war zone for a reason. . .
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for understanding what I was saying...I was only use weight to illustrate why someone would be buying the so called "diet" food.......it is the food that is selling, not who is buying it...it is "part of a heart healthy diet" on the front of the box of cookie crisp...
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Now that I am low carbing, a normal weight, and only buying food for myself, I have been known to buy something labeled "low carb" or "sugar free" pretty much just to try to spread the word about low carbing. Just in case anyone should be checking out what's in the cart. My version of subliminal advertising. Who knows? Someone might be noticing.

Yeah, but they're probably thinking it's terrible you're buying "Frankenfoods" and buying into the Overly Commercialized Evil Low Carb Conspiracy.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:27
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Well, possibly. I've got better things to worry about, though, Barb. Did you see what happened to the stock market today?

Not to mention that I never see any hyenas at night at the Africam.....

Life is tough.

Kay
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I could have bought a weapon of mass destruction from one of them if it had a bar code.

Gotta say, Kay, that this wins my vote for 'comment most likely to produce a diet coke sinus lavage' today. My sinuses are still stinging......
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
we don't have baggers...we do it all

I think that might be better - although when I take my canvas bags to a store where the cashier bags as they scan, it really messes them up to have to be fiddling with these cloth things. So much easier to just drop items in the plastic bag that's hanging there.

Not complaining about that though - the regular baggers generally can't seem to figure out how to pack them either. I guess I'm just difficult. :P

I do try to put enough starch in my canvas bags when I wash them that they stand up on their own, and are easier to pack, but eventually they still get soft and floppy. I'd prefer to do it myself - at least then I know the 4 lb spaghetti squash hasn't been thrown on top of the carton of eggs or the bag of fresh tomatoes.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
I was only use weight to illustrate why someone would be buying the so called "diet" food.......it is the food that is selling, not who is buying it...it is "part of a heart healthy diet" on the front of the box of cookie crisp...

That's my thought when I see some of the stuff people have in their carts, low fat this, and heart healthy that, and you just know they've been completely brainwashed to believe that it really is healthier for them than real food.

It's not just the morbidly obese who are falling for it either, it's practically everyone, including the old folks who grew up eating real food. There's an awful lot of retirees from the many retirement complexes in this area, and they really load up on that stuff in the grocery store.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:50
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'd prefer to do it myself - at least then I know the 4 lb spaghetti squash hasn't been thrown on top of the carton of eggs or the bag of fresh tomatoes.

When I lived in VA it was a given that you bag yourself or wait-wait-wait as the cashier took her sweet time since she really didn't want to do it....here in MO they have baggers!

And, boy oh boy I want to just do it myself...after years of getting it perfected, I like my stuff bagged with like things together - ie. veggies bagged together, cleaning products together, etc - to make it easier to unpack when I get home! I also don't want my bags over-packed & so heavy that they topple all over the trunk on the way home, spilling everything along the way.

But here, it's like an insult or something if you try to bag your own groceries - seriously, the minute you step to the end of the conveyer and start to set up a bag to pack, an army of baggers come over to relieve you and do it for you and if you say "I don't mind doing it" or anything like that....they get really upset!

So, I've just learned to step back and watch - occassionally make minor comments to not pack so heavy (as a gallon of milk and six pints of half & half and two quarts of plain yogurt are being crammed in one bag)...can you keep the veggies together and not pack the toilet bowl cleaner with the tomatoes.....that kind of simple stuff....
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:54
Contrarian

Quote:
That's my thought when I see some of the stuff people have in their carts, low fat this, and heart healthy that, and you just know they've been completely brainwashed to believe that it really is healthier for them than real food.

It's not just the morbidly obese who are falling for it either, it's practically everyone, including the old folks who grew up eating real food. There's an awful lot of retirees from the many retirement complexes in this area, and they really load up on that stuff in the grocery store.

The grocery store here recently hired an RD....(you know where I'm going with this already, right?).....and she hosts "Nutrition Night" three times a week to teach people what's healthy in the store. Last week as I strolled the aisles, she had her little group in the cereal aisle....I had to check it out.....sure enough, she was rambling on and on about how healthy ready-to-eat cereal was, how it was healthy with non-fat skim milk, how eating that for breakfast with fruit, like a banana added good nutrients and that a cup of decaf with non-fat, non-dairy creamer or soymilk was acceptable too.

All I could think was "these poor folks" - they're trying to learn about eating well and instead, are being, literally, taken by the hand and taught how to eat in a way that is going to make them sick.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
The grocery store here recently hired an RD....(you know where I'm going with this already, right?).....and she hosts "Nutrition Night" three times a week to teach people what's healthy in the store. Last week as I strolled the aisles, she had her little group in the cereal aisle....I had to check it out.....sure enough, she was rambling on and on about how healthy ready-to-eat cereal was, how it was healthy with non-fat skim milk, how eating that for breakfast with fruit, like a banana added good nutrients and that a cup of decaf with non-fat, non-dairy creamer or soymilk was acceptable too.

All I could think was "these poor folks" - they're trying to learn about eating well and instead, are being, literally, taken by the hand and taught how to eat in a way that is going to make them sick.

Oh my, Regina! You must have been biting your tongue, trying to keep from blurting out that those were the worst possible things they could be eating!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:18
Contrarian

Quote:
Oh my, Regina! You must have been biting your tongue, trying to keep from blurting out that those were the worst possible things they could be eating!

I kinda had to (didn't want to)...can't say why but it was for a good reason.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 02:36

Quote:
I think that might be better - although when I take my canvas bags to a store where the cashier bags as they scan, it really messes them up to have to be fiddling with these cloth things. So much easier to just drop items in the plastic bag that's hanging there.

Not complaining about that though - the regular baggers generally can't seem to figure out how to pack them either. I guess I'm just difficult. :P

I do try to put enough starch in my canvas bags when I wash them that they stand up on their own, and are easier to pack, but eventually they still get soft and floppy. I'd prefer to do it myself - at least then I know the 4 lb spaghetti squash hasn't been thrown on top of the carton of eggs or the bag of fresh tomatoes.
most people who bring there own when I am there come thru my line because I am good at getting everything in without crushing there tomatos and whatnot...and I don't make faces about useing there bags because it takes longer...my customers know me and like me and I have been helping them for over 12 years..and we just got some new reusable bags that stand up well and only cost 99 cents so maybe more people will reuse
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 02:43

dumb product of the day= kebler<sp> cookies
if you mail in 4? UPC's we'll send you a Mickey pedometer
thought behind this "we don't think kids are walking enough so lets get them to eat more cookies"

I bought my son a talking sponge bob pedometer for 10 bucks...no cookies needed