Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 04:55
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default C1W2D3

UBWO

Dumbell Bench Press
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x8

Dumbell Flyes
12x5

Seated Dumbell Press
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x8

Side Raises
12x3

One Arm Dumbell Rows
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x3

Lying Row
12x3

Lying Dumbell Extensions
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x3

Dumbell Extensions
12x3

Seated Dumbell Curls
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x3

Hammer Curls
12x3

I want to switch back exercises to save time, and I also think I need to add weight for the back, was TOO easy.

Up my hammer curls to 5#

Hit a couple of 10s last night. Triceps were TOUGH! But I kept saying "I don't want wings anymore" LOL and that kept me going!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 18:54
Reinventing Myself

BF:
Default C1W2D4

20MAS

Legs are still sore...OK to do LBWO tomorrow?
  #48   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 16:41
Reinventing Myself

BF:
Default Confession

OK...I messed up a little...

No 20MAS on Thursday
No LBWO on Friday

I have to learn how to deal with the EXTREME fatigue I feel when TOM is on the way. I can fall aleep for hours with no warning and all my energy is sapped from me.

I DID do 20 min cardio yesterday and today is the day off.

So my 1st 2 weeks are done...with a little stumble, but I wont beat myself up...just get right back into it.

Am I still allowed to say C1W3D1?

If anyone has any suggestions for energy around TOM PLEASE help me. I am trying supplements and it doenst help...

~Michelle
  #49   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 06:37
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Green tea maybe? More leafy green carbs? I didn't find that I got tired around TOM, I was running on adrenaline though. What makes me droop and lose focus are those free days. Must give those up.

Beth
  #50   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 15:00
Reinventing Myself

BF:

I am willing to try. I love green tea, and I HAVE been slacking on the veggies and slads...I used to eat a ton, now I think am sick of them!

~Michelle
  #51   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:58
Reinventing Myself

BF:
Default C1W3D1

UBWO

Dumbell Bench Press
3x12
5x10
8x8
10x6
8x12

Dumbell Flyes
3x12

Seated Dumbell Press
3x12
5x10
8x8
10x6
8x12

Side Raises
3x12

Lying Rows
5x12
8x10
10x8
13x6
10x12

One Arm Dumbell Rows
5x12

Lying Dumbell Extensions
3x12
5x10
8x8
10x6
8x12

Dumbell Extensions
3x12

Seated Dumbell Curls
3x12
5x10
8x8
10x6
8x12

Hammer Curls
5x12

My head really wasnt into it today...made some stupid mistakes!

I planned on increasing my Fly weights, forgot - automatically reached for the 3#...AND started doing abs instead of biceps and was halfway through before I realized what I was doing and went to my biceps TOLD you I was stupid!

Going to buy 12# weights, need to increase on some exercises...
  #52   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:43
Reinventing Myself

BF:
Default C1W3D2

20MAS

Done!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 17:17
Reinventing Myself

BF:
Default C1W3D3

LBWO

Dumbell Squats
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x8

Lunges
12x3

Straight Leg Dead Lift
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x8

Lunges
12x3

One Leg Calf Raise
12x3
10x5
8x8
6x10
12x8

Angled Calf Raise
12x10

Floor Crunches

Twist Crunches

OK...I have LOTS of questions/complaints

I HATE LBWO. Makes me hate BFL. Thwn again I love my UBWO. I need different quad exercises that I can do when all I have are dumbells and a bench. The lunges dont do it for me. I HATE doing the quads at all. That sets the tone for the rest of the workout. I dont think you should be on the brink of tears while working out should you?

Now...am I supposed to be in pain or am I supposed to be shaky? Which one is a mark of a good workout? LBWO gives me A LOT of shakes, but not a lot of pain while working out, but I feel sore for days after. UBWO I feel pain but I really do not feel a lot of soreness in the days after. I take the L-glutamine with both. Should I be feeling both? Is one a mark of a good workout and one a bad? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be pushin more? Is my form wrong. How can the UB and LB give me such totally different experiences?

I DONT want to hate BFL. But if my LBWO stay the way they are, I will. Please help! Someone? Anyone?
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 18:35
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

How long have you been doing LBWO's Three weeks? That's not really a long time considering you only do 2 a week one week and then 1 the following week.

I had an advantage (if you will) in that I was already familiar with squats and a version of the lunge (the kind I do) from doing Body Electric and my borrowed 1987 Jane Fonda workout with weights tape.

I gradually built up to the level I was at when I started BFL. I didn't have it be all new and therefore I think it was easier for me to get accustomed to doing the sets and reps.

Maybe you could explain that pain part. Sometimes when I do certain exercises I feel my shoulders crunch but it doesn't exactly hurt. When my ankle hurts I know I have to back off if I don't want to be a cripple. You definatly should not be in tears, but you say LBWO doesn't hurt? I'm a little confused.

I can't tell if your form is wrong from here.

We recently had training on new technology we have at our schools. There is the ATM which lets kids take classes at other schools and there is another one that let's people with that technology take virtual field trips. It's like a tv and a camera and shows people in real time and can connect via phone lines or computer lines. I can't remember what this is called but if your school has this technology we could teleconference for free using the computer line, or teleconference for the price of a long distance phone call.

Just a thought!

Beth
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 20:23
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Beth-

Just to clarify...I am not in tears because of pain...I am in tears because it doesnt feel right, I am shaky, and I hate it!

~Michelle
  #56   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 06:32

Plan: BFL
Stats: 324/193.5/195 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Michelle,

I think clearly this is a situation where you are exceeding your limitations. I know exactly what you are talking about. I lifted they way you feel all through high school (because I was a tough guy) and got no where. Does your bench have leg extensions and leg curl module to it. If not then you need a new bench. You can get one with the leg extension and leg curl module for under $130 plus you are going to need some weight. I would recommend buying an entire set. They usually cost about $99 anc come with a bench press bar.

I hope that financially this is possible for you because it is clear that squats and lunges are too challenging for you. This is also the case with me because my knees aren't in the greatest shape. But I know that soon I will be able to do it.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Tom
  #57   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 07:15

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Default Hi Michelle,

I thought, I'd write what I know as well. First - it looks to me as though you need to learn the proper lunge before anything else....take the DB's away and do this without any extra weights. That is quite a WO in itself. When you do the lunges and squats, make sure you start standing upright, belly button tucked in firmly. As you squat down - focus on your abs, raise your arms in the front until horizontal while you slowly(!!) sit BACK, with your toes coming off the floor slightly, all the weight on your heels. Sit back as if onto a chair, your knees should not bend beyond 90°and when you look straight down, you should still see your toes. Make sure your abs are firmly engaged and your back is straight. Hold for a count of one and then slowly(!) come back up and lower your arms back to your sides. Please practice those until you are absolutely certain you got the proper form!!(Got a large mirror?)! Otherwise you could seriously injure yourself permanently!
Also, don't just use the WO suggestions from the BFL book. There are tons of others out there. I know there were many web sites with exercise routines listed in this forum, just can't remember exactly where. Do some research! I am not sure if the following falls under inappropiate advertising, but I'll give it try anyway. I bought a BowFlex a year ago, and I am very happy I did. Not even top of the line, but I get my entire UBWO as well as LBWO done on it. Need virtually nothing else. It's a one time investment if you are serious about sticking to WO's and it's great! Just a thought...
Good luck with all. I am still a little surprised, since the majority of BFL'ers actually prefers the LBWO, incl. myself! NEVER(!!!) work until you feel actual pain! You should feel a burning sensation in the targeted muscles right before they fail. Then take the minute inbetween to shake, loosen and stretch them and move on to the next set.
Hope I could be of a little help.
Don't torture yourself, enjoy the fact that you are making positive changes to your body and soul!
M.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 12:15

Plan: BFL
Stats: 324/193.5/195 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Michelle,

I agree with the Bowflex. I don't own one but I wish that I had purchased one before buying all of my free weights. Especially right now since I am moving. The bowflex is the closest machine that I have ever used to freeweight.

If you look diligently in the classifieds you can find one for almost half the price, which is still expensive. Just make sure you have the cash on hand because my experience is that they go fast.

Tom
  #59   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 13:34

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14

No kidding, Tom. I looked for 6 months in the classifieds for a used one, never once found anything....They are also months on backorder from the company.
Michelle, how are you doing? I hope you will learn to enjoy the LBWO more....
  #60   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/180/165 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Hey Michelle-

I'm totally not going to be any help, but if it's any consolation I hate lunges as well.

My fav quad exercise is leg press but all I have is a bench and free weights as well. Squats are not my favorite but I've found if I space my feet a little further apart (as women's hips are farther apart then mens and while men squats with their feet shoulder width apart is ok for them, it's not for me) I feel more secure in the knee area and get as much of a workout, if not more.

Straight leg dead lifts are my favorite though. I think I could power lift doing those. I absolutely love them! But like I said lunges, barf.

I've also come up with my own little lift where you lay on your side with knees slightly bent and feet in line with your back. Place a dumbell on your thigh while holding in place with your hand and lift using the hip flexors and glutes. This is a great one. I have "ponches" on the back side of my hips and I've really found that these help. I only ever saw improvement in that area after doing these and tae-bo type kicks (in the swimming pool )

About the lack of energy at TOM, you may want to take some iron the week before you are to start. ?? Just a thought.

Hang in there. BFL does work you out and you will see results! It just takes time.

Good luck!

Carol