Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 12:20

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookeylou
Low carb was essential to getting a good portion of the weight down so that I can move a bit more freely.

That's a big part of what it's all about for me!

Your moniker is ringing a big bell for me; are you also a member of a haircare forum or two?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304.6/196/172 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Obesity in African American Women

Haircare forum--no; might be my twin
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 10:56

Stats: 213.5/142/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay
If I can take the liberty of posting so soon, this question has been nagging me for years in looking at this forum. In doing some internet research, I found that "About half of all women aged 20 to 74 are overweight or obese. The percentages of obese women among African American, Native American and Mexican American women are even higher." Being African American myself and obese, I'm wondering how successful have other AA females in this forum been on Atkins. I've been battling obesity and yo-yo dieting so long, I NEED to know that this way of losing weight is attainable. And yes, I think I've seen two pictures of other AA females on here. They are inspiring. BTW, why am I asking? To dispel my own theory that we seem to hold on to weight like a magnet. I need some encouragement. Thank you.

I am a 32 yr old African American from the deep south with deep soul food roots. YES it is attainable, it can be done. Many soul food dishes ARE LOW CARB if you just leave off the starchy crap.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 09:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieCat08
I am a 32 yr old African American from the deep south with deep soul food roots. YES it is attainable, it can be done. Many soul food dishes ARE LOW CARB if you just leave off the starchy crap.

This is so true. My favorite lc meals are the soul food meals. Each time I think to myself 'how can you be AA and NOT like this food?!
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 07:17

Stats: 304.6/196/172 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Obesity in African American Women

Thanks. Besides turnip greens could you give me a few soul food suggestions that fall into the low carb category? or any good cookbooks?
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 13:26

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

Yes yes!! We need a soul food recipe thread!!
I'm from Jamaica, and I eat curry chicken all the time, low-carb baby!
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 17:34

BF:

I like to make things that are similar to what I grew up on, like fried chicken. I made up a recipe early into beginning this woe for fried chicken. Surprisingly my whole family asks for it. I just replace soy flour for white flour. I make all of my greens the same way but I don't cook them for an eternity like Mom did back-in-the-day. I prefer them with some type of pork but DH is white and my kids weren't really raised on soul food so I cook them in butter and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a few flakes of crushed pepper. I found some lc corn bread mix that I don't trust BUT, if I get desperate for corn bread, that is where I am going. Cheesy cauliflower has replaced macaroni and cheese which is easy for me because that is something else I grew up on.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 20:28

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Reading this thread is making me hungry for Southern food! Turnip greens cooked with fatback rock, especially with the pepper-vinegar sauce, and fried chicken ... Black, I'm going to have to try your soy flour idea for that sometime!

I guess it's not really soul food, but if anyone has figured out how to make a decent LC roux I would love to hear about it (soy tasted strange when I tried it alone as a sub).
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 06:59

Stats: 213.5/142/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay
Thanks. Besides turnip greens could you give me a few soul food suggestions that fall into the low carb category? or any good cookbooks?

Cabbage cooked down in bacon grease with ham
Collards cooked the same way
Okra soup (a hometown soul food specialty which originated in West Africa!!)
Rutabagas cooked down with ham (I LOVE this, better than a potato)
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 07:34

BF:

Grimalkin, my husband made gravy once with soy flour. I am sure he made a roux for it before making the gravy because he gets his ideas from the Food Network. Well, anyway, it was really good. Soy flour isn't very good if it isn't cooked right. The only way it can make a good gravy is to make a roux first then make the gravy.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 08:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Black!

My roux kinda "soyed" up the whole etouffe... perhaps if I use less flour I'd get the nutty flavor I want?... also, I used some vegetable oil at the time which I'm trying to get away from now, and I'm wondering how it might taste with lard or even butter.

Are there any other good flours for this?

I think a Southern food thread would be cool... I've pretty much given up that cuisine since I left the South, except for some of those celery-pepper-onion-tomato Cajun dishes... sometimes I really miss those little hole-in-the-wall joints that I used to visit in New Orleans, but I don't suppose there will ever be a good substitute for red beans and rice .

I live in the desert now and it's very tough to find decent seafood out here... I miss living near the coast!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 16:58

BF:

Yes, perhaps use less soy and use meat drippings instead of cooking oil. I don't even know how my husband made that and he doesn't even remember doing it! But, it was surprisingly good.
Wheat gluten is even less in carbs than soy but it is a little more expensive. I rarely use it.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 00:26

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 214/208/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am AA and have decided after a year of weight gain and procrastination to attempt low carb dieting again. After reading so much research and observing other family members with weight problems, I realize that starchy foods are the culprit. I'm glad to see other AA on the forum because I had been trying to find out how AA fared on this way of eating. I would love for a soul food recipe thread also, since I'm from the deep south (Alabama).
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 07:23

BF:

There was an article in Ebony magazine that had several lc recipes. I am going to look for it. It is in my magazine rack.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 21:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpahmw
I am AA and have decided after a year of weight gain and procrastination to attempt low carb dieting again. After reading so much research and observing other family members with weight problems, I realize that starchy foods are the culprit. I'm glad to see other AA on the forum because I had been trying to find out how AA fared on this way of eating. I would love for a soul food recipe thread also, since I'm from the deep south (Alabama).

I have been doing this for nearly 3 years and I have no intentions of changing.