Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 11:43

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I was disappointed that very tight control of BGs through diet and exercise did not stop, nor barely slowed, my progression with diabetes. But it did greatly slow down my retinopathy. A very good reason to continue with very tight control. Looking back at a prior 15 years of FBGs between 90 and 110 I wonder how it might have gone had I started 20 years ago. (doctor was rabid that I ignore all of this)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 23:03

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Good luck to you. As for me I've found that sticking to a strict LC die and losing 100 pounds still did not come even *close* to normalizing my blood sugars. My doctor was behind my efforts to do it naturally, but it has not worked, so now I'm on metformin too.
Its the same with my mom. She's a Type 2 diabetic. She's never been overweight though.
Its not very low carb but definitely much lower than before. She's added O3 and Vit D to her diet too. More than 10 months now ... still no greater control. OTOH its been slightly worse lately.

Of course my dad's been ill and she also had a severe sub-lingual infection lately and I guess all that's made it worse. But restricting carbs has really not helped my mom much at all.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 06:53

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

My mother (age 90) started Bernstein a year and a half ago. She followed it "to the letter of the law" and she achieved good control. She has slacked off now, having lost 30 pounds, and her fasting BG has crept up to slightly over 100, whereas before it was staying from 96 to 105, roughly. She severely restricted carbs, 30 a day as Bernstein suggests. Is your mom severely restricting to 30 carbs a day? I am "pre-diabetic" and I am finally seeing some action with my blood numbers. My last fasting BG was 98, not the greatest, but not the worst, and down slightly from a couple months ago. I have cut back carbs and alcohol, plus am doing treadmill three times a week, 25 minutes at 2.5 mph. My C reactive protein is down from around 6.5 to 4.5. It's taken me several months to even get this far. I have only lost a pound a month in the meanwhile, nothing dramatic, but I seem to be going in the right direction. I have added pycnogenol and bilberry to my supplements (100 and 150 respectively) because I read that it lowers ocular tension by 3 or so points over six months (according to one study). My father had macular and glaucoma so I am trying to avert those disasters, too.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 07:59

BF:

Hi Katerina. My mom is lacto vegetarian, she does not even eat eggs. Very hard to severely restrict carbs.
She eats mainly veggies, dairy, some fruits and nuts. Very little rice.

But she is eating much lesser carbs than before. And I dont see the corresponding decrease in BG levels. She's also having Omega 3 1500 EPA+DHA and 5000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 09:30

BF:

That really does restrict your options. Sorry to hear, as I know it's hard to juggle and balance. All the best to her.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 16:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
Its the same with my mom. She's a Type 2 diabetic. She's never been overweight though.
Its not very low carb but definitely much lower than before. She's added O3 and Vit D to her diet too. More than 10 months now ... still no greater control. OTOH its been slightly worse lately.

Of course my dad's been ill and she also had a severe sub-lingual infection lately and I guess all that's made it worse. But restricting carbs has really not helped my mom much at all.

My own experience is that stress and sickness can both cause blood sugars to run higher. Lower carbs is better than higher, but if a person is still exceeding their body's tolerance for them, it's possible to not see much, if any, improvement.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: paleo type
Stats: 356/246.6/185 Male 70 inches
BF:23%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
Hi Katerina. My mom is lacto vegetarian, she does not even eat eggs. Very hard to severely restrict carbs.
She eats mainly veggies, dairy, some fruits and nuts. Very little rice.

But she is eating much lesser carbs than before. And I dont see the corresponding decrease in BG levels. She's also having Omega 3 1500 EPA+DHA and 5000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.

If she's extremely carb sensitive, and let's assume she is that sensitive, then she's not even close to a low-carb diet for herself. Being a veggie is not a good excuse.

The author of Blood Sugar 101, Jenny Ruhl, got her numbers in order by eating an 85% calories from fats diet. Rice of all kinds should be totally stricken from her diet, and even too many salad veggies, especially if eaten in large volume, will cause high BS spikes. Milk and/or yogurt are loaded with carbs and sugars, especially the "low-fat" kinds.

Also, yes, infections can cause the liver to dump extra glucose into the system, but that diet is not in order even without an infection source.

And, her fruit intake might need to be discontinued until she gets things under control. There are very low-carb berry powders that give most of the health effects of the berries without much of the sugars.

Her omega 3's are not good enough either for someone like her -- 1500 mgs of EPA/DHA are good enough for a healthy person, but she should try for around 5000 mgs e.d.

Last edited by tuberman : Mon, Mar-01-10 at 20:28.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 22:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberman
If she's extremely carb sensitive, and let's assume she is that sensitive, then she's not even close to a low-carb diet for herself. Being a veggie is not a good excuse.

The author of Blood Sugar 101, Jenny Ruhl, got her numbers in order by eating an 85% calories from fats diet. Rice of all kinds should be totally stricken from her diet, and even too many salad veggies, especially if eaten in large volume, will cause high BS spikes. Milk and/or yogurt are loaded with carbs and sugars, especially the "low-fat" kinds.
We don't use low-fat at all.

tuberman, I agree with what you say, but really don't want to force my mom to eat eggs or meat. She feels a distinct revulsion for them, and, at 72, that's not something I want to force her to do.

I can reduce or eliminate her fruit and rice intake but what will she eat instead ?

Quote:
Also, yes, infections can cause the liver to dump extra glucose into the system, but that diet is not in order even without an infection source.
Yes, she had a severe sub-lingual gland infection but that's treated now. We're going to a dentist anyway on Friday just to be sure.

Quote:
Her omega 3's are not good enough either for someone like her -- 1500 mgs of EPA/DHA are good enough for a healthy person, but she should try for around 5000 mgs e.d.
Hmmm. Maybe I can ask her to increase that.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: paleo type
Stats: 356/246.6/185 Male 70 inches
BF:23%
Progress: 64%

Fats... the answer is fats, healthy fats.... fish oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and rice bran oil, heavy creams, or even organic butter. she can get the majority of her calories from fats.

She could use soy or one of the pre-digested proteins such as Peptopro for protein needs -- which wouldn't be very high for her.

Salads are good in moderation, but exclude things like tomatoes and legumes, and most dressings.

Shobha,

To be fair. as carb sensitivity gets far along it does become hard. the best book on the subject is Dr. Berstein's Diabetic Solution, and you should get a copy of that or at least Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 (the 2nd best book).

The good news is that if she can get tight control for a couple of months the disease tends to regress (it can get better), and sometimes a lot.

Last edited by tuberman : Tue, Mar-02-10 at 07:16.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-10, 22:08

BF:

Quote:
Shobha,

To be fair. as carb sensitivity gets far along it does become hard. the best book on the subject is Dr. Berstein's Diabetic Solution, and you should get a copy of that or at least Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 (the 2nd best book).

The good news is that if she can get tight control for a couple of months the disease tends to regress (it can get better), and sometimes a lot.
Not sure if her's can regress. She's 72, has had T2 for 15 years or so now. And vegetarian.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 06:57

BF:

My mother was 89 when she started Bernstein. She is 90 now and has completely turned it around. She had had diabetes for ten years prior to starting Bernstein. That would indicate that it is possible to change it, even for the very elderly. She has lost 30 or so pounds and her fasting numbers went down to around 100 from 130's or more.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 22:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
My mother was 89 when she started Bernstein. She is 90 now and has completely turned it around. She had had diabetes for ten years prior to starting Bernstein. That would indicate that it is possible to change it, even for the very elderly. She has lost 30 or so pounds and her fasting numbers went down to around 100 from 130's or more.
I see. Is she vegetarian ?
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 07:34

BF:

No, she definitely is not vegetarian. I know it would be much more difficult for a vegetarian, but my point was that if you eat "the right stuff" (not taking into consideration personal issues ), you can control it quite well, no matter how old you are, no matter if you have had it for years.

I would not know if that is possible if you are a vegan, vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian. I only know if you are willing to eat as Bernstein says to do, you can control it. Otherwise, you do the best you can. It's certainly not a perfect world, and as I have found at my ripe old age, it almost always comes down to choices. Good luck!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 329/214/200 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Fats... the answer is fats, healthy fats.... fish oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and rice bran oil, heavy creams, or even organic butter. she can get the majority of her calories from fats.

Don't forget avocados!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 16:23

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyaz
Don't forget avocados!

Don't skip over nuts & seeds either as healthy fats....