Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 18:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Here is something else that is a must read if you are following Atkins or any other low carb or controlled carb plan:

http://weightoftheevidence.wordpres...ontrolled-carb/

Regina is fabulous!!
She really knows her stuff and writes very well.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 14:26

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Why I post less than I used to -

Some of it is just burnout, as others have said. Let someone else take a turn at telling the newbies that losing "only" X pounds in Y weeks isn't the tragedy they want to make it. I float in and out of that.

Some of it is gunshyness. I've been bawled out enough by the Atkins enforcers, the Big Pharma supporters, the... many varieties of posters who know they have the only handle on the truth. Quibbling with squabblers isn't a battle I choose.

Then, I'm old and I'm losing slowly, and some months not at all. I'm following my plan, tweaked so it makes me feel good about what I'm doing. (For me, that's fruit for breakfast.) Some people need more guidance from firmer rules, and sometimes I think I shouldn't be responding to anyone who wants to know "What should I do?"

But yes, occasionally I see discussions that appeal to me, and I join in. I start topics I want to know about or talk about. I agree with several upthread, I need to read and talk about it isn't all smooth sailing.

Meg
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 11:35
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

This thread reminds me of how active & vibrant the TDC seemed to be when I was losing my weight the last half of 2003, first half of 2004. I know memories get mixed up with time and we always remember things in the past more fondly than might have been the reality, but I do remember it as a time when the TDC was active, we had lots of great discussions on a variety of issues around losing weight, being more than 100 lbs overweight and how that impacted us in all areas of our lives.

The TDC was a daily source of strength for me, a place where I would come, read and remember why it was so important for me to stick with my plan and get the weight off.

Funnily enough, I don't remember many successful maintainers participating at the time, it was mainly others starting or in the middle of their weight loss journey. We all seemed to be figuring it out as we went along.

So many of those people have disappeared. Some I keep in contact with outside this forum. Most I don't and just don't know where they are. I look at my buddy list sometimes and am reminded of all the people that were here and are no longer. I know some of those that disappeared made it to goal and are probably doing just fine. Many just disappeared suddenly without reaching goal and I can only assume they fell off their programs and haven't returned to them.

What this makes me think of though, is how familiarity brings sharing and more sharing brings more familiarity and closeness. I think the difference then is that we were very active posting. And then the more we posted, the more we had to say and the more we posted again. We don't seem to have that same atmosphere here now. Kathleen has been posting a lot, and there are always newcomers saying hi, but there seem to be few conversations or threads discussing general concepts or ideas. It's a thing that happens very organically once it's started, but maybe it needs a big old kickstart. Maybe if everyone on this thread that has expressed a desire for more interaction on the TDC made it a point to start a new thread with a problem or idea instead of putting it in their journal, we could start to generate new life in the TDC.

The TDC people are special, I've found. We bring a different focus to weight loss and low-carb. We aren't being trendy by eating low-carb or low-GI, we aren't being vain about the last 10 lbs, we are here dealing with life-altering, health-damaging issues that impact our lives in every way, every day. There was always a frank discussion of real, personal issues in the TDC that seemed to happen far less frequently than they do in other areas of this forum. It felt real and important and it was so helpful to me as I was losing weight.

I think it's worth trying to rekindle that flame and bring the TDC back to life.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 12:48
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/219.4/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 46%

Okay, Val, you're on! I planned to post about something in my journal, but I am going to be very *brave* and start a new thread. A few years ago, I wouldn't have hesitated to start it here; now it's reflex to share that in my journal instead.

And thank you for what you shared above. I agree, what this forum has been is worth fighting for.

Taking a running jump . . .
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420/383/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 14%

As someone who just signed up here, I'm so glad some of you 'oldies' (hee hee... as opposed to newbies, not that you're all old!!) are sticking around.
We have so much to learn from you guys.

And I promise never to complain about only losing x pounds in x weeks. (Well... hopefully not.)
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 13:13
Bouncy!

Oh, I'm old. At least I feel old when I get out of bed in the morning! LOL!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 13:33
Monday came.

Stats: 275/219.4/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eama
As someone who just signed up here, I'm so glad some of you 'oldies' (hee hee... as opposed to newbies, not that you're all old!!) are sticking around.
We have so much to learn from you guys.

And I promise never to complain about only losing x pounds in x weeks. (Well... hopefully not.)

Oh, we oldies, young and old, do our fair share of whining, too, you'll see!

And we have so much to learn from you newbies as well. You bring fresh juice, new ideas, enthusiasm, excitement--you remind us of where we came from, and why we want to go where we want to get to. It's a mutual contribution, trust me. And it won't be long before you find yourself telling some newbie, "Hey five pounds in one month is GREAT! Imagine where you'd be now if you were still gaining instead of losing . . . "
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 14:01

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Wow, this really resonates with me, and I usually don't post in TDC. Not that I didn't have 100 pounds to lose -- just that I didn't have 100 pounds to lose when I first found this forum, so I felt like people wouldn't think the issues were the same.

I've lost everyone who used to post in my journal. Both DH and DS gave up on this WOE and they're back over 300. There was a group of four of us that were in a challenge -- I'm the only one left. It's difficult to keep posting a journal that's public for no one but yourself. (Am I writing this just for me or for some lurkers that might actually read it sometime?)

I got down from 271 to 178 and life happened. I'm still way down from where I started, but I'm not back to Onederland yet. I'm running from 6 a.m. to midnight -- two jobs, school, DH with a disability, DS with an attitude. My life is crazy and some days I'm in control, and some days it controls me.

One person told me she's too ashamed to come back after losing and putting most of it back. I've put back on like 30 pounds. Why? I don't know? Pizza tasted too good? I just had to have that carrot cake? Pretty flimsy excuses, but they happened.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 15:01

Stats: 420/383/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
You bring fresh juice

No we don't! That's not low-carb. We bring... er... roast beef.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 15:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 323/300/275 Female 5 ft 5in
BF:43/43/25
Progress: 48%

Cute!!!!!!!!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 16:01

Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

So many great posts, with so many great thoughts and ideas!

Yes, I remember the TDC being very active and vibrant. I remember days when I sat here for way too long because there were so many things to read and to think about.

The TDC is a special place. We're here for a longer period of time while we lose the weight and have many issues that are unique to us. Kathleen is right though, we all have things to offer no matter where we are in our weight loss journey.

My original post was about the times when we struggle and how taking the easy way out and disappearing is not an option fo rme.

Perhaps I should start a thread on ideas or things to do to keep us motivated through the hard times.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 17:10

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"I got down from 271 to 178 and life happened. I'm still way down from where I started, but I'm not back to Onederland yet. I'm running from 6 a.m. to midnight -- two jobs, school, DH with a disability, DS with an attitude. My life is crazy and some days I'm in control, and some days it controls me."

We have almost identical stats! I was 204 today up from 178. 178 seemed so golden somehow!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 17:50

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

I wondered ............for those that have lost more than half of their goal weight loss......... did you get more energy?

I feel more energetic than when I started but tire easily and seem to need alot of sleep!I have lost 43 but am just not energetic, am achy, and really not very active. This will get better as I keep losing???

This thread has great stuff and just love it!
Gloria
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 07:12

Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
I feel more energetic than when I started but tire easily and seem to need alot of sleep!I have lost 43 but am just not energetic, am achy, and really not very active. This will get better as I keep losing???
I'm going to say something here and please don't anyone me over the head. I'm only offering MY experience with this. When I was on Atkins, I felt like this the entire time I was on it. It could have been my fault for not really climbing up that ladder, but the only time I started feeling better is when I actually added in more carbs. I know that saying that on this forum is risky because the inclination here is to reduce carbs, not raise them. I just discovered for myself, that my body needs to have a certain amount of carbs to not only feel good, but to lose weight. I offer this to you, NOT in a bid to promote carb consumption, but rather as a thought about what happened with me. I'm not trying to offend anyone's choice of plans here.

ETA- All that being said though...if you are experiencing great fatigue that is worse than normal or having other symptoms like the achiness, perhaps mentioning it to your doctor next time you're in might be in order.

Last edited by Charran : Tue, Jun-23-09 at 07:37. Reason: Added more thoughts
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 07:12
Bouncy!

I'm sorry to say that I still need lots of sleep and feel tired a fair bit. However, that's relative, I have much more energy since losing weight than I did before and I am fairly active. I don't know whether we just become accustomed to being tired so it always feels that way or what. I'm also not a morning person, so my views right now might be skewed. I'm definitely dragging my butt right now!