Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 14:07

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
While you were an au pair in France, I was an au pair in Rome, long ago! And that describes exactly how an Italian family ate their meals. Our meals were actually pretty boring: long 1+ hour lunches of 1)cheese, a veg, and rolls and water or 2) meat, a veg, and rolls and water and 3) eggs. a veg. and rolls and water. We might have been kind of unusual that way. My friends' families (Italian friends) were very much into cooking great meals. The meat was bought that day in the little local shop in the square, so were the vegetables. The rolls were absolutely fresh. You NEVER bought more than you needed for one meal.
Just two years ago, my teenage daughter spent her junior year in France, living with a French family. She loved the food but did not gain weight. The daughter in the family actually had a job working at the local McDonald's!
I went to visit my daughter and spent two weeks in France. Weekdays, I stayed in Paris and the weekends, I visited her in Bretagne.
There is a lot of prepared food to be had on the streets of Paris but it is prepared in the small shops; the bakeries are out of this world and that bread is, I guess, prepared food, too. I think the outdoor markets still have their fans.

Yeah, all the meals were pretty simple, but the freshness of the ingredients made SUCH a difference. It was living in Europe that gave me an appreciation for cooking simple dishes but with GREAT ingredients, and not over spicing them. It was also a great time because everyone made the TIME to eat together. They weren't all overcommitted and rushing about, and could really take the time to be a family. I always felt so welcomed and part of the family in that environment.

I'm glad to hear that not everyone is succumbing to the SAD type of eating, and that the local markets and even the local prepared foods are still readily available.

20 years, 30 years...there's not all THAT much difference there, is there?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile chocolate and zucchini

Hey, Cynthia, want a walk alongside a Parisian cook? Google 'Chocolate and Zucchini' and read a wonderful blog (written very well in English, she has a wonderful 'voice') by a Parisian young woman who worked as a software engineer in California and returned to Paris and now writes a food blog full time. You can see her on youtube giving a talk at her old software company in California - now that she has a book out!
Unfortunately, every other ingredient is a carb!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-07, 11:48
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
"Lower cholesterol is also linked to increase risk of stroke. People in France and Italy have cholesterol levels that would frighten most doctors, but they live longer than Americans and have less heart disease."
The controversy continues.
Average Japanese person has cholesterol 45 points lower
than average American.Their rate of cardiovascular death
is much better than USA.I believe USA is something like
number 42 among Countries of the world in life expectency.
Japan is somethink like number 5.Like I said before,the
subject of cholesterol versus longevity is confusing at best
but I'll still stick by the illustrated graphs in the Framingham and MFIT studies.
and so it goes...
Eddie
Just one thing that I think needs to be mentioned. The Japanese may have had lower rates of heart disease, but their rate of strokes was higher than the US.