Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 19:05
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie0515
Is there a huge difference in the 72 version than the one most of us are doing now?

Besides what Penn said...

I find the 1972 version of the plan to be a "purer" version (not to get holier than thou). Back in 1972 there were no Frankenfoods and very little in the choice of sweetners. Yes!!! No Dreamfields, SF Russell Stovers, low carb tortillas, carbquick, carbolose, Walden Farms products (which in MO are nasty), Atkins Bars or shakes etc. 1972 stresses real food, real food, real food. The rules of induction are different--no sour cream, no cream cheese, hard cheese to less than 4 oz a day, 2 small salads daily. Plus, there was no OWL ladder in the 1972 version. Much research had been done by Dr. A from 1972 to the 1990/2002 version. Some things in the more recent versions I think are excellent, like the carb ladder, but other things not so much such as a reliability on frankenfoods.

As time has moved on and I have more and more years of low carbing under my belt (so to speak) I find that the closer you stay to whole foods, and the less reliability on frankenfoods (including products like Dreamfields which I love) the better. Of course each to his own and YMMV.

Quote:

Thanks for the recipe CNMLISA!! Do you Dr. A would have us modify today w/ butter in place of margarine? And cream cheese vs cottage cheese--would that be lower carbs? Cheesecake is my FAVE!!!!

I don't see why not. There are so many cheesecake recipes out there, have a fling with it. And the use of margarine--I don't think in 1972 they knew the dangers of transfat. Jeez, I haven't had margarine in at least 20 years--bleeech!!!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 18:48

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Gotta say, this is already working for me.

It's actually easier than I remembered. I made some rev rolls, made up some little sf jellos and I'm really paying attention to the rules. I expect great things this week!!!!

How is everyone else doing?
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 04:46

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm doing fine on 72 but I think I am going to have to lower the fat a little. I had some chicken last night with the skin on and after eating that I felt a little nauseated. I think it might have been from the extra fat on the chicken.
Usually I pull the skin off so I am not used to eating that.

I'm fine this morning. Enjoying a cuppa and watching the cats bounce around the livingroom as they play.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfit
I'm doing fine on 72 but I think I am going to have to lower the fat a little. I had some chicken last night with the skin on and after eating that I felt a little nauseated. I think it might have been from the extra fat on the chicken.

I'm fine this morning. Enjoying a cuppa and watching the cats bounce around the livingroom as they play.

I'm doing the same thing! I eat only lean meats now and I feel much better. Atkins never said you had to eat the skin and fat! I'm not zero fat, but I'm not into eating globs of it anymore.

After watching Hell's kitchen last night I got a little hungry! But I didn't cave. I just brushed my teeth and went to bed and feel happy for doing that. I think it was all in my head anyway. Then I watched Brookhaven clinic show and that stopped ALL hunger cravings (maybe for the rest of my life!). And on the weekend there was a marathon of Big Medicine and X-weighted. Is someone trying to tell me something?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 09:47

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:

Chicken can have a lot of nasty stuff injected into it, plus the feed really makes a difference. You might want to try a different brand or buying from a farmer you trust.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I think 72 is a great plan! I would actually like to do it, b/c I think it would be a GREAT way to see what my CCL and/or CCM is, but I can't go back to lettuce only, not even for a week! But boy that would really help me figure out those numbers, I think!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:09

It is tough. I miss cauliflower now!

I'm making different types of salads (caesar, greek, chef, cobb style...).

I have a few more days, then I can eat cauliflower again... oooooh, lucky me.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:12
Registered Member

I wonder if I could do it...you make it sound good! I've gotten so used to my veggies every day! Do you think a couple days of lettuce only would be enough since I'm already in ketosis? No nuts or lindt chocolate. I guess I'd have to give up my Walden Farms toppings, too, for my whipped cream? And I have to go to 4 tsp of cream a day? Yikes. I dunno....
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I wonder if I could do it...you make it sound good! I've gotten so used to my veggies every day! Do you think a couple days of lettuce only would be enough since I'm already in ketosis?

I was surprised to see my scale drop after three days, so who knows. Worth a try if you're up to it.

here's what I ate this weekend:

B: two slices turkey bacon, 2 eggs, coffee with 1 tsp heavy cream (no tomatoes as I usually do)
L: skipped
D: 3 oz lean ground beef, cheeseburger (2 oz of aged cheddar), mustard, slice of dill pickle and radishes on the side. SF jello.

sunday:
B (same, but I poached the eggs)
L: skipped
D: 3 oz veal steak with peppercorn rub, sauted mushrooms (not many), 2 cups caesar salad. SF jello.
S: 2 oz aged cheddar.

I really want to make it through the week, then up by 5 carbs (i'm around 8 carbs now, per day) I think I can feel my waist shrinking!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:27

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Elle, not to butt in, but if your current WOE is working for you, why would you feel the need to change it? Or are you having trouble with the last stubborn pounds or something? (I haven't read your journal.) Personally, I feel that if you're enjoying what you eat, your cravings are under control, you're having fun and are feeling good, and are at a nice low weight (which obviously you are), you don't really need to change a thing.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 14:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Chicken can have a lot of nasty stuff injected into it, plus the feed really makes a difference. You might want to try a different brand or buying from a farmer you trust.

The ONLY brand of chicken we have up here in Ontario (Canada) that I can recall is Prime. I don't eat that stuff unless it is on sale. It is much too pricey and that is simply because it is under a brand name. Most stores here simply sell thier meats (including chicken) in plain packages or clear plastic bags with the stores name on it.

Do meats in the States often come under brand names? I've never shopped in the States.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 15:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
Elle, not to butt in, but if your current WOE is working for you, why would you feel the need to change it? Or are you having trouble with the last stubborn pounds or something? (I haven't read your journal.) Personally, I feel that if you're enjoying what you eat, your cravings are under control, you're having fun and are feeling good, and are at a nice low weight (which obviously you are), you don't really need to change a thing.

Only b/c I'm curious as to what my CCM is, and I haven't been very diligent about counting carbs or measuring carbs. I basically eat all I want of induction veggies, some nuts and some chocolate, and a little low-sugar fruit. My carb count varies from less than 10 some days to 40 on others. I think that going back to zero would be the most scientific way to do it. I guess it won't happen, b/c like said, I'm enjoying my food and I'm not willing to go back to lettuce only again, and I'm definitely NOT willing to limit myself to 4 tsp of cream a day! Plus summer is not a good time to do it, with all the traveling we'll be doing. Maybe I'll get scientific about it when school start's back.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 18:15

Quote:
The ONLY brand of chicken we have up here in Ontario (Canada) that I can recall is Prime. I don't eat that stuff unless it is on sale. It is much too pricey and that is simply because it is under a brand name. Most stores here simply sell thier meats (including chicken) in plain packages or clear plastic bags with the stores name on it.

Do meats in the States often come under brand names? I've never shopped in the States.

Oh, we have Lillydale, too. (Costco) It's quite affordable.

But, ya, I just buy whatever the store butcher has put in a package... no additives, just freshly chopped up chicken.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 19:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Oh, we have Lillydale, too. (Costco) It's quite affordable.

But, ya, I just buy whatever the store butcher has put in a package... no additives, just freshly chopped up chicken.

I've heard of Lilydale but have never seen it in the stores I shop at.(A total of 4 depending on the flyers that week)
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think you guys are inspiring me!