Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 15:03

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i use the whisk on my hand blender to whip cream. i've never had a problem whipping it up and i always use a glass bowl now, no chilling. it was so much easier than i had thought it would be. for a long time i was intimidated to try it. the only time i had any difficulty was when i added an ingredient after the cream had started whipping up. the cocoa flavored whipped cream recipe on linda's site comes out so much like chocolate frosting after it settles, it's downright sinful like a total cheat.

i usually add a combo of a couple of drops of sweetzfree and some liquid stevia. linens and things carries the iso whipper, but did not seem to carry the charges for it. i've heard tell though that sometimes they can be found fairly cheaply on ebay.

the cream cheese whipped cream is also excellent, actually, that one is my favorite.

i eat it on most any dessert, but like others, a spoon is good too i also really like it on pumpkin pie, and the cream cheese version is perfect for kevin's carrot cake.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYMom
Ok, so here's a total newbie question then (sorry!): If you whip 1/2cup cream, what do you consider a serving to be? You don't eat the whole thing in one sitting, do you? (Ha, that would be lovely!) I did make this and really enjoyed it (probably too much! :lol but couldn't figure out what a serving would be.

even if you ate a 1/2 c. of cream that is only 1.7 carbs. i go really crazy somedays and eat a whole cup...or at least tempt to depending if chocolates in there. if it is then it's too rich and i end up eating only a 1/2 of cup.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYMom
Ok, so here's a total newbie question then (sorry!): If you whip 1/2cup cream, what do you consider a serving to be? You don't eat the whole thing in one sitting, do you? (Ha, that would be lovely!) I did make this and really enjoyed it (probably too much! :lol but couldn't figure out what a serving would be.

I have been known to eat the whole thing in one sitting. It didn't cause me to gain weight. More often I make into servings.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: 148/141.6/130 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Magic Bullet is the ticket...we got one for Christmas and I LOVE it!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 15:59

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Ummmmmm, my heavy cream says 0 carbs. So, how many carbs are in it??? I use it sometimes in my coffee, and only count it as 2 carbs for a 20 oz. huge mug. Is this good?? I have been eating low carb for about 4 years and have never even thought of this!!
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 17:31

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shewolf8
Ummmmmm, my heavy cream says 0 carbs. So, how many carbs are in it???

it's one of those nutritional loopholes... heavy cream has 0.4g of carbs per tablespoon, and the FDA lets food manufacturers claim 0g of any nutrient that's got less than 0.5g. one cup of fluid heavy cream actually has 6.6g of carbs.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 02:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by motis
Ok, here's the scoop on heavy whipping cream...

Firstly, for best results it should be very cold. If possible (but not completely neccessary), have your bowl cold, as well.

The prefered container is stainless steel, but glass could also do in a pinch. No plastic because it tends to contain grease or oil and will hinder the whipping process.

Make sure your container is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Any grease, oil, or residue will keep your cream from whipping properly.

Use a whisk attachment to do your whipping. A whisk will incorperate far more air than regular beaters and will help to add fluffiness and will also speed the whipping process.

Hmmmmm. The bowl being cold is helpful, as is the cream being cold. The rest of these directions? Actually apply only to whipping egg whites, not heavy or whipping cream.

Whipping cream is simple. These kinds of directions are scary... and sorry, but wrong.

#38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 09:26
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default My .02 on Whipping Cream

I have been eating chocolate whipped cream for quite some time now, and it really kills the chocolate cravings. What's nice about it, is you don't have to eat very much to be satisfied. I have made it both ways, with a stick mixer, and with an ISI cream whipper. I prefer the ISI, as it's much faster and less messy, and you have built in storage.

To use the ISI, you simply place the vessel in the freezer for a couple of minutes to get it really cold. I think that's one of the really important parts of successful cream whipping. I dump as much heavy whipping cream in as I want, along with a 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract, cocoa powder and splenda. If I have Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup, I just use that instead to flavor and sweeten it.

Put the top on, give it a few shakes and discharge the C02 cartridge according to the manufacturer's instructions (someone else put a link on here) and voila you have perfect whipped cream.

If I use a stick mixer, sometimes it doesn't come together as well as I'd like, so I add a tsp. of peanut butter to thicken it up quickly. This is quite tasty, but not for folks on induction.

Things to eat whipped cream on:

Cocoa almond Cake
In a bowl by itself
In a bowl with a square of 80% Lindt dark chocolate to use as an edible scooper
In a bowl with SF chocolate chips sprinkled on top
On top of iced coffee

Mostly by itself tho, I can only eat a few spoonfuls until I'm satisfied. Every time I have this, I consider how lucky I am to have this WOE.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 12:32
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I never put the ISI in the freezer. I take it out of my cabinet and have even used it after washing it with hot water. The N2O do all that is needed.
I like the ISI becase I can have 1T or so of cream and I dont have to worry about anything else, it takes 2 seconds.

That said there are still times when I will whip cream the old fashioned way (in my kitchenaid mixer). Whipping cream is one of the easiest things to do.

As for what I use it on? Hot chocolate, coffee, LC ice cream, SF jello, protein shakes, LC chocolate cakes, berries, smoothies, LC french toast or pancakes, nut breads or straight from the cannister. Sometimes I will flavor it or make a mousse out of it. I always keep cream in my house.

Also, I will say that before I got my beloved isi whipper I used to measure exactly 2T into a small stainless bowl and I would whip it up with a hand mixer to have with my SF jello. That way I could know exactly how much I was eating.

Last edited by MyJourney : Sun, Feb-11-07 at 12:47.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 08:57

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
No, I don't think so.

Elle - I freeze my whipped cream all the time - sometimes in little blobs that I put on top of SF jello....the texture is like ice cream and when it melts, it keeps its shape pretty well. I always freeze the chocolate whipped cream when I make it, because I can never eat it all in one sitting!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64
Elle - I freeze my whipped cream all the time - sometimes in little blobs that I put on top of SF jello....the texture is like ice cream and when it melts, it keeps its shape pretty well. I always freeze the chocolate whipped cream when I make it, because I can never eat it all in one sitting!

I will have to try freezing the chocolate so I won't feel like I have to finish it the next day! Do you freeze the plain, too?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 05:43

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:

Yes, I freeze the plain, sweetened cream in little blobs on a baking sheet, then put them in a large Ziplock bag to use on top of SF jello. For the chocolate, I separate it into two servings in a tupperware container. Works out great - and I don't feel like I *have* to eat it all at once! HA HA!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

KvonM: You said your cream mixture came out like mousse, would you please share your recipe? Thanks
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

PlayDoh: Could you please provide a link to Linda's site or the recipe for the cocoa flavored whipped cream? Thanks
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:11
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Here's a link to Linda's site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html