Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 16:51

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I believe honestly that most of the challenges that are posted in the TDC forum are honestly only meant for TDC people (in their defence) and thats why the person first posts it there. Although they wont turn down someone with less to lose its a more polite way of saying "your not invited" ....at least thats the way I see it. Which is the same reason some others interested in M&E may not come to the thread...they may think "they arent invited".
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 16:51

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
Does that make my life lessons, my work, my goals, my setbacks any diff. then someone that has 100+ to loose?
Well...yeah, actually. For instance, you've lost 50lbs and hit goal. Sincere congratulations on an amazing, wonderful accomplishment; you should be very proud. Now me, I've lost about 60lbs and I'm still obese. I'm not even halfway to goal at this point. So while we may share similar concerns they are not going to manifest themselves in the same way over the long haul. That doesn't mean we can't share ideas, but it does mean there will be forums specifically for pregnant women, PCOS, students, TDCers - because sometimes we need a home base.

I'm not sure what was lost by the mods moving the M/E thread. It wasn't locked or deleted or plopped somewhere obscure; it's in an area deemed more appropriate and your group is intact, right? As you said, carry on and best wishes.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Best wishes to everyone. My only parting wish here is for you'll not to be close minded to support from others on the same journey. We are all wonderfully beautifully made and while our journeys may be a bit diff. we can all offer kind words, support, and encouragement to others regardless of the length of the journey or it's obstacles.

Last edited by MissSherry : Sat, Mar-18-06 at 17:32.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 17:11

Nevermind - I've said my peace.

Last edited by JaneDough : Sat, Mar-18-06 at 17:16.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 17:27

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDough
Nevermind - I've said my peace.

I thought it was applicable, should have left it. I was thinking it myself really.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

I isn't about it being moved, I think the upset or being offended was in the tone of people being sick of seeing a thread that was successful and therefore always on the first page of the TDC. I don't think people would have minded if it were on page 3. I am not looking for others to believe in my WOE and I hope no one here cares if anyone else believes in theirs. I believe it was the tone of intolerance that accompanied the post that was the offending point. I am fine with the thread moving and am thrilled that it took on a life of its own. It is a great community of people who support eachothers individual choices.

I guess the idea that people didn't want to see it anymore struck a nerve since that is how society often treats those of us with 100+ pounds to lose...they don't want to have to look at us. I just expected more from people in the TDC than the attitude.

To each his/her own. I wish you all great success in your journey, no matter how much you have to lose.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 18:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FWIW....I had no problem with the M&E being a successful thread....I had a problem with most of its posters not being TDCers.

I like when someone posted about being in a fitting room with a skinny peron too...its kinda like the same thing for me.

As I said earlier, when I first started, I would only post in the TDC as it was the oly forum where I felt SAFE!! Safe is a big deal for me as I was tortured in real life about my size....so I only entered challenges that were in the TDC....because that was where it felt right to me.

So yes, I feel that TDCers should have a place of their own where 10-20-30 lb losers do not get to post.

Sorry if that seems intolerant....its really not. What it is... is honoring that we are different and have different concerns....size wise and time wise.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 19:41
Carolina Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
My only parting wish here is for you'll not to be close minded to support from others on the same journey.

This is primarily why there are other threads for non-TDCers. We get accused of being close minded when we say that we want a place where we can discuss issues of being a TDCer. I am not a close-minded person and I know very few TDCers that are close-minded. After all, we are the people that have lived as "outcasts" in society. When you're that, you can't and don't have the luxury of being close-minded. I think, as stated before, it's just a matter of talking with people that understand my unique issues associated with being obese.

Why do people that aren't TDCers feel this ultimate need to post here after all? Why would I post on the pregnancy thread?? I don't...because I simply can't relate. I almost think that those who come here that aren't genuine TDCers have this hero complex thing going or something. Like they are going to show us the light. I am letting my cynical side show here, but really, is it that much to ask that we can have a little tiny spot in the world where we are surrounded by people that truly understand our struggles and issues??
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell
I thought it was applicable, should have left it. I was thinking it myself really.

You think so? Ehhh. Not many ever posted in the TDC except for one thread anyway, so maybe comments about support and discrimination were really irrelevant.

Or maybe I just shoulda let 'er rip.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 23:26

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

RE: TDC not being very active lately. I have seen the same thing, but I think it's cyclical. Some of us are in longterm processes that do not require much daily, weekly input. I have said a ton about the life of a TDC'er over the last couple years, but I haven't said everything. I discover things as life goes on and I'll continue to post them. I do agree with the original poster...this is a very slow time -- the slowest I've seen it ever.

Maybe we've all lost so much weight we don't need it anymore? Hah! That'd be nice.

RE: Meat & Egg fast. Made me no difference. I have posted non-TDC-specific topics here before. I posted about indoor smokers, Diet Coke, coffee, etc. I consider TDC my "home" forum and I like posting stuff here related to diet, even if it's not totally TDC related. It is the people I want to relate to. TDC people are going through what I am going through. They get it. They are the people I want to encourage, to commiserate with, to speak to, to share experiences with.

Which brings us to...

RE: Non TDCers posting here. I know there are many people who aren't TDC who think they get it, but if you aren't hugely overweight, you really can't understand. You may think you get it, but you are almost surely wrong. But, just because you can't understand doesn't mean your opinions aren't valid or welcome, at least by me. When did this board become segregated? It's about 100+ pounds overweight. It's not exclusive to 100+ pounds overweight, in my opinion. Do I want a 130 pound woman who wants desperately to get to 115 lecturing me? No. But sharing encouragement, giving opinions? Why not?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 04:04

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

WOW! quite the interesting thread going on here!

Heres my 2 cents. Since i started on this board there really hasnt been anything goin on in TDC. i wish there were more threads here, because i would gladly participate in them! Since there HASNT been anything going on in TDC ..the M/E thread is the only one i have been able to participate in. (until today..now i get to participate in this thread). I am actually surprised after reading THIS thread how many TDCers there actually are! i wouldve never known if everyone didnt come out of the woodwork for this thread.
Just think...if all of us who participated in THIS thread actually started making new threads here in the TDC....it would get moving again. So lets do it! Lets support each other and ask questions and make friends! We do have lots of issues than only WE can understand..lets face it!

ok..i am off to do my part in getting the TDC rolling....
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 05:42
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Well said kyrasdad...it should all be about the support.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 11:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Well,
I am sorry for the hard feelings about all of this. But I did a google search on Meat and Eggs, because someone told me about that fast. It led me here. I didn't realize (being a newbie and all) that you couldn't post here. Sorry for the mix up. I am glad they moved it because I certainly don't feel welcome here.

Have a nice day.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 13:40
Carolina Girl

Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try4Me
Well,
I am sorry for the hard feelings about all of this. But I did a google search on Meat and Eggs, because someone told me about that fast. It led me here. I didn't realize (being a newbie and all) that you couldn't post here. Sorry for the mix up. I am glad they moved it because I certainly don't feel welcome here.

Have a nice day.

I don't think people had a fundamental problem with the Meat and Egg thread, just that because of its success, it should be moved into a location where more people are likely to find it. In other words, just a more appropriate location. This is not a reflection of giving or not giving support, just a reflection of making sure a thread is in the appropriate location to maximize that support.

I have read through the Meat and Egg thread before and I am happy there is a wonderful support group there because ultimately that is the point of this entire forum. I, personally, would not do that fast because I love my veggies, but I don't begrudge anyone their choices in life or diet. So, that said, I am very happy for those of you who have found a good support group on Meat and Egg and just think, with this move, you could probably get even more interest and thereby more support. I definitely wouldn't look at this as a negative thing.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 14:02

Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

I have tried the M&E fast.. I have also gone in and read the thread every day.. I love the support they give each other.. I love that there are TDC-ers in there that are really trying and using something that is working for them.. they discuss fodds, exercise, bad days.. all kinds of things.. I have enjoyed reading along with them.. even though I am not part of their 'circle'
that being said.. I agree that it should have been in the challenges threads.. yes, due to the fact that it is not an exclusive TDC thread... we have thread here.. challenges here.. and it is for our TDC-ers.. the M&E fast was open to all ( as it should have been).. and has some fantastic results.. but, I agree that it is an open challenge not a TDC one..
okay.. that being said.. I do not want ANYone with less than 100 pound to (originally) lose, to not feel welcome to read TDC, support TDC, congratulate TDC, and offer some helpful hints... THAT being said. (wow, I said that alot this thread).. on the other hand, I would not want someone who does not have the expierence of obesity or morbid obesity to tell me how hard it was this week when this or that happened (or not!)... in some ways I feel this may be discriminating.. on the other hand.. this is a place where I, and MANY TDC-ers feel comfortable enough to talk about things that ONLY TDC-ers would know, care about, think about, or relate to.. I am sorry to have offended or have hurtful feeling in regards to TDC.. that being said.. I shouldn't have had to say it.. it shouldn't have become an issue.

I wish the M&E fast thread all the best.. some have done SO well.. I hope if they had become interested in some of the other threads they will come and visit.. that being said.. if they are too hurt that the thread was moved to a challenge area.. then.. so be it.

dianna