Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 09:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can make gluten free cookies! You can even buy them.

I just found out I probably have Lupus. I'm hoping that I can get it into remission by staying off dairy and wheat. :\ But this is really why we have to 100% on diet, otherwise we'll keep getting more and more illnesses like this. This, for me, is a result of Gluten Sensitivity. I don't know if I ever got to the Celiac stage. It still means my immune system is overtaxed and prone to attacking things it shouldn't.

Yeah, I know it is rough. Especially for social occassions. I really recommend you go to the gluten free forums. http://glutenfreeforum.com. There's a lot of folks there in the same position.

I think one problem some people have is really taking the disease seriously and being as strict as they should be. Most likely because they don't realize how much damage they're doing to themselves. That's why I believe everyone should read "Dangerous Grains". There's a list of something like 200 diseases that are related to gluten sensitivity. I've already got/had several of them.

I still haven't gone through my toiletries and weeded out all the ones with gluten, but things like lipstick and moisturizer and shampoo all should be gluten free because, we do end up getting some inside of us.

I guess I feel rather glad I found out about my food sensitivities. My philosophy is that people really aren't well adapted to eating grains, yet we've made that a major source of our nutrition! How many people are unwittingly harming themselves? I think, should I live so long, we might find grains are really doing harm to a much bigger part of the population than was ever thought before. Certainly Dr. Fine's results show that that is true.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-16-06 at 10:02.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 10:20

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
i had a can of chicken noodle soup.

Canned chicken noodle soup has always made me sick. I always thought it was the high level of MSG but now I think it's the MSG AND gluten, since I can have MSG in non-gluten foods and it doesn't bother me.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 11:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Nancy LC are you NancyM on the glutenfreeforum?

it sounds like you posting. i just started to check it out today. i guess everyone has problems starting the gluten free diet. my mom has lupus. my mom has hypothyroid. my mom is really overweight and miserable. my mom has eye problems....

my mom has celiacs?

i have the blood work signs for lupus. i have hypothyroid. i have fibromyalgia.

i have celiacs?

i dont know.

today is day 1 for me. no fooling around. i had a protein shake for breakfast... i should check those ingredients out a little more for gluten issues... salad and tuna and fruit for lunch, salad and chicken for dinner. im ordering 'dangerous grains' off of amazon and im going to get rice flour and what not this weekend.

i dont want to be like my mom when i get older.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

http://www.celiac.com/index.html
is one of my favorite sites.
I have been totally gluton free sense Jan 7th
If I cheated it was unintentionally. but I do think I had some by accident, My next goal is to do away with dairy, after I have my Tea with cream , I get gassy and heart burn.
Have you tried Gution free bread, it is nasty. I have a bunch here and I will have to toss them.
sandi
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 15:24
Experimenter

BF:

I think that whole autoimmune syndrome is quite possibly related to food intolerances. Yes, I am NancyM over at glutenfreeforum.

Yeah, the glutenfree I bought is pretty icky. But I don't really need to be eating that starchy stuff anyway. I have another 20 pounds I gotta lose.

Right now I'm doing great just sticking to meat, veggies, coconut milk, fruits, nuts and nut butters. I'm avoiding a lot of foods I think might make my joint aches worse. Just hoping that if I can keep my diet squeaky clean I can get rid of these autoimmune issues!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

do you think you can get rid of the auto immune issues? I dont know I expected to feel better by now, and Even on Atkins says you get energy and I surely dont have that. My friend gave me a gift cert. so I can try gluten free things, Ill live without it, thank you lol, besides not good for Atkins anyway.

What do you do with the coconut milk?
sandi
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 16:11
Experimenter

BF:

I make custards and yogurt out of it. Its a bit tricky to coax yogurt from coconut milk, but it sort of works.

The woman on the one glutenfree her Lupus antibodies have been entirely in remission. But she has been GF for 2 years. Its only been 4 months for me, and I think dairy is as much an issue for me as Gluten is, and I've only been off that for 1 month.

The author of the SCD diet says that her diet will reverse autoimmune diseases too, her belief is the body is responding to bad bacteria in the intestines. I like the diet so I'll stick with it for 6 months to a year. Then I might try adding in rice occassionally.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 19:46
Experimenter

BF:

This looks like a very interesting article about wheat: http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/cul-wht.html It is a bit lengthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaser
WHY SO MANY INTOLERANT TO GLUTEN?

We have recently reported on Lancet (1) a consistent cohort of patients affected by drug-resistant epilepsy with cerebral calcifications, half of which were cured by a gluten-free diet. All had an atrophic jejunal mucosa, which recovered on a gluten free diet. Gluten intolerance is now a recognized cause of brain calcifications and epilepsy, of dementia, of psychiatric disturbances: many researchers believe that, in genetically predisposed subjects, gluten is not healthy for the brain function (2).

This is just too much.

Having had over 25 years of variegated experience with gluten intolerance I find hard to imagine that the single most common food intolerance to the single most diffuse staple food in our environment might provoke such a complexity of severe adverse immuno-mediated reactions in any part of the human body and function. The list is endless, but malignancies, adverse pregnancy outcome and impaired brain function are indeed complications above the tolerable threshold of this food intolerance.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 20:30
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Hi everyone!

My husband and his sister both have Celiac. My DH, since going GF, feels better than he's felt in a LONG time. I'm so glad we found out what was wrong with him.

The reason I am posting is because someone with whom I work (and who's 6 year old son has Celiac) forwarded me this information. I thought I'd share it with you. I'm so frustrated because DH thought McD's was the only place he could get an order of french fries (if he was in the mood - he certainly doesn't eat that way often). Since we all share in our food allergy, I thought I'd share this with you (even though it's NOT LC! )

Best wishes to all.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet...s.ap/index.html

McDonald's fries come with a surprise

Wednesday, February 15, 2006; Posted: 1:48 p.m. EST (18:48 GMT)

McDonald's acknowledges that it uses wheat and dairy ingredients to cook its french fries.

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- And another thing about McDonald's fries: They're not gluten-free.

Not long after disclosing that its french fries contain more trans fat than thought, McDonald's Corp. said Monday that wheat and dairy ingredients are used to flavor the popular menu item -- an acknowledgment it had not previously made.

The presence of those substances can cause allergic or other medical reactions in food-sensitive consumers.

McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month to the french fries listing on its Web site.

The company said the move came in response to new rules by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the packaged foods industry, including one requiring that the presence of common allergens such as milk, eggs, wheat, fish or peanuts be reported. As a restaurant operator, Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald's does not have to comply but is doing so voluntarily.

McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said its potato suppliers remove all wheat and dairy proteins, such as gluten, which can cause allergic reactions. But the flavoring agent in the cooking oil is a derivative of wheat and dairy ingredients, and the company decided to note their presence because of the FDA's stipulation that potential allergens be disclosed.

"We knew there were always wheat and dairy derivatives in there, but they were not the protein component," she said. "Technically there are no allergens in there. What this is an example of is science evolving" and McDonald's responding as more is learned, she said.

While the company wanted to make consumers aware that fries were derived in part from wheat and dairy sources, she said, those who have eaten the product without problem should be able to continue to do so without incident.

The acknowledgment has stirred anger and some concern among consumers who are on gluten-free diets since it was posted on McDonald's Web site.

"If they're saying there's wheat and dairy derivatives in the oil, as far as anyone with this disease is concerned there's actually wheat in it," said New York resident Jillian Williams, one of more than 2 million Americans with celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten.

"They should have disclosed that all along," she said. "They should never have been calling them gluten-free."

It's not the first time McDonald's forthrightness has been called into question concerning what's in its famous fries.

The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence in 1990 that it was abandoning beef tallow for pure vegetable oil.

Last February, it paid $8.5 million to settle a suit by a nonprofit advocacy group accusing the company of misleading consumers by announcing plans in September 2002 to change its cooking oil but then delaying the switch indefinitely within months. Reluctant to change the taste of a top-selling item, McDonald's has continued to maintain for the past three years that testing continues.

Asked about the status of those efforts Monday, Kapica said: "It's a very high priority and we are very committed to continuing with testing and lowering the level of trans fat without raising the level of saturated fat. ... It's a lot harder than we originally thought but that is not stopping us."

McDonald's shares rose 3 cents to close at $36.36 on the New York Stock Exchange -- up 8 percent in 2006.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 20:51

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

So in terms of celiac, maybe a carb is not always a carb. I understand the weight gain, because I did an experiment with cyclic dieting. And on one of my free meals, when I had a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, and oatmeal, I gained almost 1.5 pounds the next day. I mean, it was to be expected with low-carbing, water-retention and all. but then on another one of my high-carb days, I limited myself to fruit. I didn't gain weight, and actually lost it. Do you think it was a fluke, that maybe I'm reading too much into it, or do you think it had to do with gluten intolerance?
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 07:21

BF:

could be due to an intolerance.

one time i ate half an entree at olive garden. just half, i thought i was doing great, it was chicken and pasta, not too bad for you at all.

i gained 7 pounds the next day. could not for the life of me lose it. definately water retention, but if youre sensitive to gluten the water retention comes as the body is trying to FIGHT and KILL the gluten proteins.

one time i had 2 beers. bloated up badly enough that night that i could absolutely not wear my rings, and bloated up at least 5 pounds on the scale the next day.

maybe you dont have it too severly yet. do you notice any gastroinstestinal problems when you eat grains? bloating, diarrhea, constipation?

and i find a carb is NOT a carb. fruit (and thankfully for me) sugar don't do too much bad stuff to me. im not dying of hunger after i eat an apple and i dont have the blood sugar rollercoaster a lot of other people have. but, your mileage may vary.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 10:10

I just thought it was plain old carb sensitivity when it came to bloating, but the thing about the fruit day where I was eating tons of carbs, probably over 300 grams, well maybe 250, I thought for sure I would have gained! In a way, I sort of felt a kind of freedom meaning I wouldn't have to thrive on carb deprivation which I was prepared to do for my health and well-being. As for the gastro-intestinal problems, I didn't have any when I ate the fruit. When I eat wheat and starch, and probably due to my bulimia, I don't digest it well at all. I get constipated, or sometimes the reverse. And, sorry to offend those, this is gross, my feces are shaped weird, not firm but oily and sometimes coiled and I have an itchy, irritated anus. I know that is sick, but that's what they're like to be quite frank, ok, I hope I'm speaking to a mature audience that can handle that...

I also found out that when I combine fruit with fat, I don't experience a rollercoaster at all. Perhaps the fat offsets the absorption a lot more than people would believe. I also noticed I didn't have a problem with semi-sweet chocolate. I'm not sure if it has gluten in it or not, but when I eat it, and even if it's a lot, I don't get bloated or suffer too bad with the sugar roller-coaster. And I thought that maybe had to do with the fat to carb ratio? Or maybe I was just having a good day?

BTW, I totally understand the beers. They altar my mood so bad, and my manic depression goes off the hook, and I'm usually due for a binge, and crave yeasty products like bread. One time after an alcoholic binge, I was eating whole loaves of bread with mustard. Weird...

I was also thinking.. Do you ever hear about the people, sometimes body builders who go into zero carb mode for weeks at a time. Then they gain weight very rapidly when going back to their normal carb levels, or high-carb levels. Most people say it's the thyroid and a weak metabolism brought on by ketogenic dieting. But I wonder if the rapid weight gain really had to do with gluten sensitivity. Because lately I've been alternating my low-carb, high-fat days with high-carb days where the composition is mostly fruit and vegetables. I haven't experienced the rapid weight gain, whereas my high-carb days used to include wheat, and wheat crackers, and oatmeal. I was also unsuccesful at sticking to the diet.

But maybe I'm oversimplifying this. I mean, every individual is different.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:03
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, you've probably got a gluten sensitivity going on there. Not everyone has sx, some people are symptom free, some have more brain type of symptoms (seizures, brain-fog, difficulty walking or gluten ataxia).

Fruit has fructose though and gets metabolised a little different than other carbs.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:52

I was wondering about fructose. Because on Eade's PSMF plan, the shake mix calls for fructose specifically (BTW, I'm not on it). How does fructose differ from regular sugar? And why is it metabolized differently?
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:15

BF:

Question:

Ive been reading the glutenfree forum but I can't find the answer to this question and am dying of curiousity.

i know that celiacs are often times underweight due to malabsorption. what makes it so some of them stay fatty fats? just water retention? body fat kept around to 'dilute' the body from toxic gluten?

also, is it true that some people sensitive to gluten dont have that severe symptoms: ie diarrhea or skin rashes.

im second guessing myself here, i think, in denial about being gluten sensitive. i just don't seem to fit, im overweight and don't have a huge problem with my intestines... maybe i really am just in denial and not remembering my problems when i was eating gluten.

Oh and by the way, i find the same thing with me and semi-sweet chocolate. i dont get bloating or any problems like that, can lose weight the next day even eating a bunch of it and no blood sugar rollercoaster. right now, its my sweet of choice!