Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 10:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique
Wait....Atkins Nutrition is not run by the same company any more.....when was it sold? By the wife after he died??

Nope. He sold it about a year before he died.

When he wrote DANDR, his comments about using convenience foods was basically, "don't do it unless you're stuck." When he said you could trust anything with the Atkins name, remember that back then, that was basically shakes, bars, and a few condiments. Little else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeca
Poor Dr. Atkins is probably rolling over in his grave right now....

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslyn
I keep waiting for the day that page will disappear....to be permanently replaced with this... http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/12/28-312957.html

Holy cow!!! A a few more net carbs and that's basically my maintenance menu!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 11:20

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

Whenever I have tried the bars or shakes, it throws me off plan. The cravings come back and next thing I know I am back off my low carb way of eating and having to start all over again after a week or two of eating bad again. I am staying away from all of those. We do eat small amounts of the low carb ice cream as we can only eat small amounts or we pay for it. Sugar alchohols are okay in very small amounts, but too much and we are miserable. They keep me form abusing them !!! We tried the bars this time last year and bought all kinds of them and like I said, it was the kiss of death to our low carb eating. I refuse to buy them this time around.
I am very disapointed that the company is using thier name to sell a bunch of junk that Dr Atkins would never have pushed during induction. It is all about money and how much they can make. The sad thing is Dr Atkins really wanted to help peoples health. His goal in the coming years was to get rid of diabetes, and it is so sad he was not able to stay here long enough to do that. We will never know what could have been and I really hoped his company would continue his work, but apparently not. That is just too bad. So many people need to hear the correct information and telling them to buy so much junk is not going to help them lose thier cravings and like previous posts have mentioned I can see this trend causing people to fail and then blame the diet, a diet that could save lives and at the least better them. I just find it sad.
I think eating real foods is the way to go and the only way to keep from having the cravings.
Maybe enough people will read threads like this one and stay away. We can hope !!! Stephie
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/278/180 Male 70
BF:Plenty
Progress: 18%

I just want to say thanks to those who have posted about this stuff. I had no idea why Atkins stopped working as I was eating my Atkins candy/breakfast/meal bars.

Whole foods for teh win!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 11:59
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

This is just too bad. As much as I feel I owe a debt to Dr. Atkins, he's gone, and his legacy has been corrupted. I will remove "Atkins" from my profile plan.

Wyv
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 13:10

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This is precisely why I use my own judgement regarding the fresh fruit I want to eat instead of adhering to the Atkins dictates. The reason it is forbidden in Induction and severly limited the rest of the time must be because it does not carry the Atkins logo. If Atkins sold fruit, I'm sure that would change the equation. That's just how they represent themselves to me, at least. Same thing with coffee. If the Atkins logo sold coffee, there would be a different tone there as well.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 13:31

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

As far as I'm concerend Dr. Atkins sold out or better yet sold us OUT, by selling the company.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 13:33

Stats: 178/172/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBash
I honestly don't think I would still be here if I hadn't been forced to really give up all of those things I gave up during induction. It's far too easy to psychologically sabotage yourself. If you think you can't give them up, you won't... how will you ever know until you TRY??

I totally agree! If I had used those items I would still be craving them. It's a change of lifestyle not a change in ingredients.

Best of luck to all.

Autumn
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 13:45
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I didn't realize the company had been sold. I was wondering when I checked out the 2005 Induction meal plan on the website. They had the Atkins rye bread on there as ok, and I could have sworn it wasn't before. I think they have also upped the veggie intake from 3 to 4 cups as ok. Just goes to show it's all marketing. I'm glad I never got rid of DANDR so I can reread when I am not sure of Allowed foods.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:17

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawna
The reason it is forbidden in Induction and severly limited the rest of the time must be because it does not carry the Atkins logo.

This is SOOOO not true.

Fruit has NEVER been allowed on Atkins induction from the time the plan came out in 1972. It is forbidden in induction because of the likelyhood of abusing, ie:not portion controlling it for one huge reason, the glycemic index and how it spikes your blood sugar, causing cravings.

However, Atkins Nutritions must agree with that fact or they could easily add fruit into their menu plan because of people like you that think that not allowing fruit is silly.

There are reasons for the phases that Atkins has, they work when worked in the order given. It's tools to be implemented to help with portion control, cravings, sugar spikes and reliance on certain foods.

If you choose to eat fruit that's on you but don't try to downplay the success of the Atkins plan...for it wouldn't be so successful if it didn't work, as written.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 18:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

I went on the Atkins site and wrote the following:

"Now what? LC WHEAT and CORN products on induction?? What happenned to unprocessed and wholesome food? What happenned to kicking the carbohydrate habit? Have you even READ the book (the one written by Dr. Atkins)? Did you not understand the rules of induction: NO BREAD, NO CAKE, NO SUGAR, NO PASTA, NO RICE. Replacing these by LC (Processed, ingeneered) frankenfood will NOT help those starting out to kick the carb addiction. Instead of gaining lifelong followers (and customers), that will buy your products for maintenance stage, you set newbies out to fail. Then they will be the ones telling all that want to hear: "Atkins diet? tried it, it doesn't work, and it expensive!!".

You give the plan a bad rap. Dr A is surely spinning in his grave."

Feeling better!!

Beebuzz
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 18:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Actually, I'm going to stop even recommending the website anymore when newbies ask. I'm THAT disgusted.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 18:24
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Tater I just rec'd the catalog in the mail today...<sigh> I didn't know you had started this thread and couldn't agree more. I guess the only thing we can recomend is the book.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 18:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
*sigh*

At least the Atkins Nutritionals website hasn't changed the Rules of Induction or Acceptable Foods list ... yet

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/12/27-833156.html

Doreen

Doreen that page provides links to both acceptable real foods for induction and also "list of Induction-appropriate Atkins-brand products" ;

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/12/27-631573.html

- which now 'officially' recognises Atkins Breakfast Bars, Advantage Bars and Shakes and Atkins Bake Mix as induction foods .

The poor man must be spinning in his grave.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 19:53

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I agree. I'm training myself to give uo those things. Maybe in a month or two, when I have totally detoxed my body from those things, I'll eat some. But RIght now, I need to kick my habits in the butt, not learn to eat them the LC way. I just need to beat my addiction to them. They may, in the end, end up loosing potencial customers because people will give up when they can't properly beat food addictions and/or their weight loss is so slow, they give up.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 21:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

In my opinion, a precious few of the products should be marked as acceptable on induction. Most of these foods are just recently put in that category, when they were marked as only suitable for the later stages before.

I don't "get" their criteria, either, since a lot of foods with lower carb counts are marked for OWL or later, while "Suitable for Induction" is all over foods with a higher carb count... and you can HAVE the bread, but not the bagels...WTF is the difference..they're made of the same THINGS!

I'm just confusing myself and getting cranky about it. Anyone have a bircage they need liner for? You can have my catalog!