Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 18:11

Plan: lC/pp
Stats: 250/215/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:50/37/20
Progress: 32%

I've been doing low carb/high protien since July 6 and lost 35 lbs but am now at a standstill (have been for a month now). I joined Curves almost 1 month ago (the 16th will be 1 month). I am losing inches but no pounds. Everyone is commenting on my weight loss at work although the scales say I have actually gained 2-4 lbs since starting the workouts. I've always worn baggy clothing so to say my clothing is getting baggy would be hard to say. I am getting into clothes I haven't worn in 4 years which is a reward in my eyes.

I use Protein 95 Soy from GNC, and take a few supplements...Alpha Lipoic Acid, Conjugated Linoliec Acid, and Calcium. I tried White Kidney Bean Extract (carb blocker) and Grape Seed Extract (motabolism booster) for 1 month but did not see any difference with them.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 06:23

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cherokee, so what's your problem? Who cares what the scale says? You're clothes are looser, you're losing inches, you're gaining muscle (the added pounds), and people look at you and see you're smaller?

It's so easy to become obsessed with the scale. It's just a number! No one knows that number except you, your doctor, oh . . . and everyone who visits this site!

Seriously, your body has been through a lot. It's not a science lab. Things don't work the same way every time. That's what's so frustrating about the whole losing weight thing.

Think of it this way:
  • It's a way of life, not a diet.
  • It's a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't put the weight on over the course of four months, and you won't lose it all in four months either.
  • You're healthier.
  • Your weight is down 35 pounds!!!!!!
  • I'll bet your blood pressure is down, your cholesterol is down, LDL is down, HDL is up, and triglycerides are down.
  • You're sleeping better.
  • You have more energy.
  • And there are probably a million other things that are better for you now.
I don't mean to take your frustration lightly. We've all been there. I'm there now, as a matter of fact! I've been stuck at 152 TWICE (see signature) and can never seem to break through.

AND, your body needs time to adjust. Periodic stalls are so common I look at them as being "required." You've lost 35 pounds in 4 months. That's 9 pounds a month! THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!

Sheesh! I should be coming to YOU for advice instead of the other way around!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 19:23

Thank you for your encouragement, Bawdy. And you are sooo right. I expected the stalls...and expected the weight gain once I started working out..muscle weighs more than fat. Also, my blood pressure is down, I had to have my blood pressure medicine changed to a different milder kind and with a lot less miligrams, I was getting dizzy because my bp was dropping too low. My cholesterol is down 50 points and my energy level has to be up or I wouldn't feel like excersizing 4-5 days a week plus stay on the go as much as I do. Sleeping is better but I'm waking several times during the night for a bladder condition that has nothing to do with my weight or the diet. I'm on 3 month round of antibiotics for cystitus of the bladder (sp?). The urologist told me that was why I was waking so much during the night. I thought it was because I was drinking around 96 to 108 ounces of water a day...go figure..lol.

I'm not sure if it's the South Beach or what, acipencer. I never read any books only articles in Woman's World magazine (wonderful informative magazine). I reduced my carbs to help my diabetic husband and lost 10 lbs in 1 week...then I read an article on the protien shakes and started doing that. At the beginning I was losing 6-7 lbs a week then it started to slow when people started giving me advice...add more fruit..add more meats...blah...blah...blah. Then it just stopped. I lost the 35 lbs in 3 months. I weighed today and noticed I'd lost 3 of the lbs I've gained since starting at Curves--but I'm still at the 35 mark. I had hoped to lose 50% of my wieght loss goal by Thanksgiving but I am not going to make it. Next goal...lose the 50% by Christmas. I need 15 more lbs to do that.

Last edited by cherokee51 : Sun, Nov-14-04 at 19:36. Reason: adding
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 17:56

BF:

Cherokee, your goals are pretty lofty. Even Dr. Atkins (and the Drs. Eades, authors of Protein Power) says that 1 to 2 pounds a week is all you can hope for -- and not even that at a steady rate.

So maybe go back to what you were doing originally that worked. But hang in there, you are doing sooooooo well!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 06:12

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Like Bawdy said, your doing great....35lbs since July is fantastic! some dont even lose that.....ive been stuck way over a year and its ok cause i know im at my last pound and i refuse to think or worry just for my last pounds....i dont want to think of it all day long and all year long...i want to enjoy life...so basically Cherokee, keep on doing what your doing cause its working.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 20:23

I went for my weigh-in and measurements at Curves after 1 month being a member. I lost the 2 lbs I gained from the muscle toning and have lost about 3 more inches.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 04:44

BF:

I'm dancing the happy dance for you!

Now you have to tell us YOUR secret!!!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 19:39

I just read your little bio below your name Bawdy..you are doing great. Size 10...wow!! I can't wait to get out of the "w" sizes.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 09:41

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i am with you cherokee.. i am at the last W 18W, can't wait to get out of them!!! there are some pants in the "regular" sizes that go to 18, but they are still a little too snug....
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 20:11

BF:

I have to say, it really is a wonderful thing to be able to just grab a pair of slacks and a sweater and know you look good. Truly, I'm not bragging. It took a long time to get to this stage, and my mind is still in the "OMG, I'm fat!" stage.

Like this morning. I put on a sweater and a pair of slacks, and I thought, "Man, I look so chunky." But then I remembered that I had just put on a pair of size 10 slacks I bought in September that I just had taken in because they were sitting almost halfway down my hips.

You'll get to this point. Just keep following the plan. It's not easy, and by no means do I think I'm "done" or ever will be. It will be a constant struggle for the rest of my life to maintain a healthy weight. And even though I'm at what is considered to be a healthy weight (albeit the high end), I would still like to lose 10 or 15 more. Or at least tone up. I really need to get back into the weight training. That does wonders for tightening up all those jiggly parts.

Cherokee, come visit my journal anytime. And also visit the Java Room. We're friendly. Promise!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 10:13

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

hey guys ive been doing Atkins maintainence for going on two years now with no cheats. i just notice that i dont have much energy most of the time. recently i have upped my protein and had noticed a lot more energy. i am going to try to lower my fats some and increase my protein. i read protein power a couple years ago but i have forgotten how to properly do it. I have planned out my daily portions as being:

fat - 65g (41%)
prot - 174g (49%)
carbs - 64g (29fiber) (10%)
cals - 1500 or so

does this look protein power friendly? what should my percentages be? Thanks for your help.

most of my protein is coming from chicken and other lower fat beef products, my carbs are coming from lots of veggies and a little bit of fruit here and there.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 10:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Matt-First of all, I have to say that I have been a big fan of yours for awhile, reading many of your posts on this board and on another as well. I have a lot of respect for your discipline and determination for making this a WOL. My biggest problem with Atkins was the extremely high level of fat and how people would always caution you against too much protein. I NEVER felt satiated eating this way, always felt loopy and jittery and on the verge of one big binge. It wasn't until I raised my protein and cut the fat that I finally felt good, and finally started to lose weight as well. I was also able to eat a much higher amount of carbs when I cut the fat and calories.

I am not sure where you got the 174g protein. Although I believe that protein should not be restricted (as long as carbs are controlled), especially if you are hungry, that might be a bit too much, especially b/c you are not very big and I think I've read before that you aren't a huge exerciser. I weigh basically the same amount as you and feel ideal in the 110-130g protein per day range. If I am trying to lose weight and cut calories, I veer towards the higher end of the range to stay satisfied. I've found that I feel best at about 35-40% protein (calories about 1350-1550 to maintain), and total carbs around 60g. Fat makes up whatever is left. If I have dropped calories to lose, then my protein percentage is obviously higher. Protein and carbs I basically keep constant, and move around the fat percentage based on how good my weight is at that particular time.

I LOVE the Protein Power books. If you haven't read the Protein Power Lifeplan book, I highly recommend it. It has a nice chart in it that simplifies all the calculations from the first book for determining your minimum protein requirement. At your current weight, it says you should be consuming 34g protein minimum per meal, which meals 102g minimum per day. Add a couple lean protein snacks i there and you are all set.

Feel free to ask away with more questions. I love when people are interested in my WOE, b/c Protein Power is such an incredible plan!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:59

thank you Wendy. I just ordered the book. Hopefully it will be here soon. I am just having a really hard time coming up with a menu. I want to eat about 1500cals, and no more than 40 net carbs a day.. but i cant seem to get my calories up high enough unless i add more fat, or as i posted earlier.. a lot more protein. Any suggestions for me? thank you so much for the help
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 19:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Matt-Is 1500 calories what you currently eat? I wonder if this amount might change if you change your percentages around. You might be surprised that you can substantially increase your carbs if you fat is lower, just an idea. Perhaps shoot for a nice even number of protein, like 150g, keep fat to about 80g, and then 40-50g net carbs. I woudn't go much higher than that for protein, at least not to start. If you are still hungry you can always add more. At that amound it would be about 40% of calories and fat would be almost 50%, both very good percentages. Maybe just try it out and see how you feel, and then tweak from there. I think you will really enjoy the book, and feel free to continue to ask questions. Protein Power is mostly just concerned with you building your meals around your minimum protein requirement (34g), how many carbs you want that meal, and adding just a bit of fat. It's not supposed to be concerned with measuring or percentages, but if you are anything like me, you'll do it anyway
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 00:50

great thank you, ive worked out a plan:

fat - 72g (49%)
carb - 78 (34 fiber) 13%
protein - 125 (38%)
cals - 1400

might try to add in a little more fruit and see how it goes also.
thanks again Wendy!

Last edited by Moonwalker : Sun, Apr-03-05 at 01:10.