Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 20:14

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

okay, I've been taking advantage of the extended weekend at home.

Hit the trails for a quick pre-party bike ride, did 25 miles in a little over an hour and a half. Kept a good pace, but ended early to hit the party.

Spent a better part of the afternoon in the pool with my 6 year old neice who is learning to swim. Always fun. Then a good night of drinking, bond fires and such... sleep came around 8am, a full 24 hours after I woke up. And even with the hangover, I still managed to get back on the bike today for a very slow 20 mile cruise. The headwind didn't help, the hangover either. Darkness cut the ride short, but I wouldn't have done more than 20 anyway.

I'm hopeing the weather will cooperate tomorrow for yet another ride, but I don't know if I will be up to it. At least I should get a good nights rest tonight.

--nw
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 20:38

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Happy 4th of July, Time! Sounds like you've had a decent weekend. Mine wasn't bad either - went for a couple mile hike with friends yesterday to a place I haven't been since I was a kid. Everything looks smaller when you're older, LOL. Anyway, don't get too hammered again tonight - the liver can only take so much...
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 18:11

Three in a row! It's a shame I gotta fly back to Baton Rouge tomorrow, so it won't be four. Did 30 miles today, and felt great afterwards. Might have been able to do more... And luckly got back to my car before the thunderstorm hit.

Made the jump to clipless pedals. Picked up some look brand pedals, and some Forte road shoes... Mounted them before the ride. I had two close calls with falling over, but didn't. Both times I was able to get unclipped easily enough, but slipped because the cleats on pavement were a little too slippery. Averaged about two MPH faster than normal. I found clipping in very intuitive with my right foot, but the left took some practice. Clippiing out is second nature already.

That makes 75 miles this weekend!

--nw
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 20:17
Rock, Ya'll

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey NW..

Just wanted to say 'hello.' I was cruizing by and saw your bike.

Nice..

I ordered a new bike at the beginning of my program (Diamonback Outlook) but it's not come in yet. I'm thinking two more weeks. Perhaps then in the meantime I can live vicariously through you. lol

But anyway - just wanted to say hello. Best of luck to you in your program. And hope ya enjoy the ride.

Cheers!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 19:20
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Whoo hoooooo on clipless!!!! Sounds like you had a great cycling weekend!
Which LOOK pedals did you go with? I hope you're liking the clipless riding. I'm glad I switched. How are the Forte road pedals? I went with a mountain shoe because I couldn't find a pair of road shoes that were comfortable. I also like that you can walk around in mtb shoes. Less falls on my spletch!
Have a good week in the swamp!
Cheers,
Gypsy
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:32

A very tired slacker here.

Got up early (for me) and hit the trails, doing 31 miles. Found a starbucks right at the 15 mile mark, so Sen would be proud. Had coffee and fresh strawberries (brought with me) as the mid ride snack. I could have done more, but got delayed helping a stranger with a flat, then had to head home to meet a friend.

Then spent the afternoon/evening washing and waxing his new car (because it needed it). Yes, it is exercise.

--nw
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 21:13
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey Time!
Where did you ride? Nice day for it!
Soooooo...... you wash and wax friend's cars, huh? Just take the bypass to 41 south... go about 1 mile.... turn left..... LOL!
Have a great weekend!
Gypsy
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 16:54

Woke up late today, sore from yesterdays fun.
Had a bunch of errands to do, had a dozen reasons not to go riding.

So I hit the trail. Knowing I'll be traveling next weekend and unable to ride was the deciding factor.

So I hit the trail in the philadelphia summer heat, with high humidity. It wasn't exactly pleasant, especially since I was out during the hottest part of the day. So I managed a slow 40+ miles today, about 10 miles further than my previous longest outing. This makes 70 miles this weekend, 5 miles less than last weekend that had an extra day of riding.

--nw
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:54

BF:

CONGRATS on the mileage! Doesn't it feel great? Sure you're in a bit of pain, but knowing you rode that far - and watching the faces of your friends when you tell them - it's great. Getting through the excuses is half the battle as well - we all struggle with 'em. I've always liked this quote: "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure." - Don Wilder and Bill Rechin

Ride on...
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 20:28

33 miles today on a cool and overcast day. Couldn't do the towpath part of the ride to to recent heavy rains, it was a muddy mess.

I probably could have done more and done it faster if I wasn't out drinking last night.

--T
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 21:43

It's late, I'm tired, so quick update.

30 miles today along the VF trail. Tackled the on-road path to Manayunk for the first time today... Starts with a rather large hill along a road with non-trivial traffic. Overworked my knees... But made it up and back. Also marked the first time on public roads with clipless pedals.

It was a beautiful day with a fairly strong wind... which of course was a headwind on the way back, just when I'm most tired. I did kinda wonder why I was doing over 25mph on a flat road before I realized the tailwind...

--nw
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 15:38

Okay, I think I did 25 miles today... I say think, because my computer stopped working mid way through the ride. The magnet and sensor were out of alignment.

I would have done more, but the remnants of the hurricane are moving in, and I'm trying to get on the road to NY before it hits.

--nw
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-04, 18:56

Did 30 miles today, but it wasn't pretty. A combination of being off the bike for two week, putting back on 5lbs, 90 degree temps and high humidity were too much for me.

Actually the ride started out great. There was no wind, and I was maintaining a great pace. I felt fantastic... Until I hit the 24 mile mark, I started feeling nauseous. Right around that time I go past a water treatment plant, that doesn't smell too good... Lets just say it wasn't pretty.

After a long stop, I got back on the bike at a much slower pace (10-12mph) and quickly ran out of water. I got to the trailside cafe, only to find it just closed. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all.

I was happy to see how many people asked if I was okay and offered help while I was on the side of the trail. I waved all them off, not much they could do.

--nw
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-04, 22:11

BF:

Wow, tough ride! We all have 'em though - just makes you stronger. Amazing how quickly one's athletic baseline falls when one has been off the bike for a few weeks, isn't it?

Just out of curiousity, what had you eaten before your ride? Your mile-24 episode sounds like a mixture of bonking and possible heat exhaustion. Did you puke - lol??? Might want to try taking a sports drink with you for those times when you don't have much in your stomach and need a quick replenishment of electrolytes, etc. I like Accelerade - if you can find it. Performance Bike Shop carries it in pre-made bottles (like Gatorade).

Anyway, glad to hear you made it through the ride. At least you didn't flat too! I find that it's the more difficult rides you remember the most and they actually tend to turn into good memories when you consider you met the challenges head-on and won!
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-04, 23:50

Plan: Anabolic diet
Stats: 355.0/308.0/230.0 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

its log
its log
its big, its heavy, its wood

its log
its log
its better than bad, its good!