Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 20:33

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
That's great and wonderful--unless you're an ice cream addict. (And note the number of famous chefs that were/are just a little more than rotund!)

hi, my name is Kaett, and i'm an ice cream addict.

no... seriously. i am. it was one of the things that i REALLY missed on low-carb, until i figured out how to make ultra-premium ice cream with absolutely no sugar. having an ice cream shop of my own would mean i could experiment all OVER the place with flavors and textures. i guess it's just the difference between seeing something potentially detrimental as an opportunity.

i agree that there are chefs that are overweight. i've also seen many chefs who aren't. not that i'm incredibly jealous of giada di laurentiis or anything .
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Don't let whatever anyone else says get you down. Sure, some people might be able to bake, cook or whatever and make good food choices, but it doesn't mean everyone can. It's quite foolish to imply that everyone can.

val, i think you just did a lot of people on this board a huge disservice.

we have all come to this board, striving to make an improvement in our lives. we want to change and we've all had to find it within ourselves to do so, regardless of what obstacles may come along. despite the fact that the hurdles each of us face are incredibly different and what some find easy, others find unimaginably hard, those who are successful are the ones who are able to jump each and every hurdle, no matter what it is.

i take this to mean you're insinuating that not everyone on the board is strong enough or smart enough or dedicated enough to succeed. you've basically just said "oh, it's ok if you fail. you just didn't have it in you." we are here to help each other up, not dole out excuses and justifications for those who fall down and tell them it's ok to stay down.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
hi, my name is Kaett, and i'm an ice cream addict.

no... seriously. i am. it was one of the things that i REALLY missed on low-carb, until i figured out how to make ultra-premium ice cream with absolutely no sugar. having an ice cream shop of my own would mean i could experiment all OVER the place with flavors and textures. i guess it's just the difference between seeing something potentially detrimental as an opportunity.

i agree that there are chefs that are overweight. i've also seen many chefs who aren't. not that i'm incredibly jealous of giada di laurentiis or anything .

I'm actually NOT jealous of Giada. She's kind of "skinny fat." She may be smaller than I am, but I actually think I have better muscle definition, at least in my arms, which is about all I've ever seen of her. Love her show, though.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 20:58
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

Quote:
It is impossible to stay on my low carb and have a ice cream shop

I think it would be for me too. Or at least very, very difficult. Like being an alcoholic and working as a bartender. Why put yourself in that environment?

It was probably a tough decision to sell the shop, and I think it's great that you realize it isn't for you. Heck, I don't even buy the LC ice cream any more - it's just too hard to resist eating more of it than I should.

Quote:
I applaud you for knowing yourself well enough to know your limitations. That's more of a victory than struggling needlessly to overcome it just so you can say you beat it.

Amen.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 123/123/123 Male 123
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
...wine testers. they take one small sip, swirl, and spit. they're not drinking a whole bottle of each vintage in one sitting.

Yes, but it wouldn't be a good idea for a recovering alcoholic to become a wine tester, even if they weren't actually drinking any of it. It's easy enough to have the same thing apply to foods. If someone has trouble controlling themselves with sweets, it's probably not a good idea for them to be working in a place where they have to taste them all the time.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 21:24

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

OH lordy lordy! We all could go round and round until we "all fall DOWN"!

WELCOME BACK AND GET TO LOW CARBIN', WOMAN!

Julia
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 21:28
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
i take this to mean you're insinuating that not everyone on the board is strong enough or smart enough or dedicated enough to succeed. you've basically just said "oh, it's ok if you fail. you just didn't have it in you." we are here to help each other up, not dole out excuses and justifications for those who fall down and tell them it's ok to stay down.

You take it wrong. What I meant is that there is no point conquering something just to say you can, when the price is more than you are willing to pay. Tonya couldn't figure out a way to keep the ice cream shop and her health. She didn't fail, she succeeded. She succeeded and determining what was important to her and making a hard decision to give up her shop to maintain her health.

She succeeded at knowing her priorities and honouring them.

It's your judgement that she failed, not mine. I don't think she failed, so I'm not offering excuses or justifications, just a positive recognition of someone who has found a solution that works for her.

Why do you think fighting temptation every day more of a success than realizing that, for Tonya, in this situation, she finds it safer & easier to hide temptation away and live each day without bashing her head against the brick wall of dealing with ice cream?

I've succeeded at losing over 100 lbs on low-carb, and maintaining that weight loss for 3 years now, not because I made it hard to do so, but because I made it as easy as I can to do so. I created my life in such a way that living healthy is easy. Frankly, I wouldn't work in an ice cream store. I might (and probably would now) be able to fight the temptation, but it's unnecessary aggravation.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 11:43

Quote:
You take it wrong. What I meant is that there is no point conquering something just to say you can, when the price is more than you are willing to pay.

seeing a statement of "Sure, some people might be able to bake, cook or whatever and make good food choices, but it doesn't mean everyone can" says to me that you don't think everyone is intelligent enough to learn what to eat and what not to eat. with the way you've just clarified it, i completely agree that some obstacles aren't worth the sacrifices involved. but i also know that some obstacles don't require quite as big a sacrifice as we often allow ourselves to believe. so many people talk themselves out of doing something good for their bodies because they decide they can't sacrifice certain things, be it food, drink, or substance.

there are always alternatives, there are always choices. you could simply pop the giant, painful zit that's sitting in the middle of your forehead and making you look like you're growing a third eye, and yes it'll hurt, or you could cut your head completely off your shoulders.

Quote:
It's your judgement that she failed, not mine. I don't think she failed, so I'm not offering excuses or justifications, just a positive recognition of someone who has found a solution that works for her.

i never said she failed. she made choices that i, personally, wouldn't have made. it's her life, not mine, so of course her choices and circumstances are going to be different. i'm not the only one who suggested the option of not selling the shop and just tweaking the products available.

Quote:
Why do you think fighting temptation every day more of a success than realizing that, for Tonya, in this situation, she finds it safer & easier to hide temptation away and live each day without bashing her head against the brick wall of dealing with ice cream?

because i realize that in this case, there is the opportunity to create products that can satisfy her temptation and still be on plan, not to mention giving others the opportunity to do the same. because i realize that every time you successfully stay on-plan in the face of true temptation, it makes doing so the next time just a little bit easier. strength of character is not plopped upon people in one solid mass, it's built bit by bit. and anything truly worth doing is worth working for.

Quote:
I've succeeded at losing over 100 lbs on low-carb, and maintaining that weight loss for 3 years now, not because I made it hard to do so, but because I made it as easy as I can to do so. I created my life in such a way that living healthy is easy. Frankly, I wouldn't work in an ice cream store. I might (and probably would now) be able to fight the temptation, but it's unnecessary aggravation.

i understand that and i'm not trying to criticize the road you took in order to get to the point you are now. and while you made it as easy as you could for yourself, you didn't take what many would consider to be the easiest route to get there. you worked at it. you stuck to it. you didn't just walk into a doctor's office and have them rip and slash at your body to get rid of it all in one fell swoop. and i know you've got a lot more self-respect, and respect from others both here on the board and in your off-line life, because of it.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 12:01
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
val, i think you just did a lot of people on this board a huge disservice.

we have all come to this board, striving to make an improvement in our lives. we want to change and we've all had to find it within ourselves to do so, regardless of what obstacles may come along. despite the fact that the hurdles each of us face are incredibly different and what some find easy, others find unimaginably hard, those who are successful are the ones who are able to jump each and every hurdle, no matter what it is.

I dont think she's saying it's ok to stay down at all. I took her words to mean, maybe she isnt strong enough to taste the ice cream and spit it out, like you would be. Some people handle tempations differently.

I can tell you right now, if I was a french fry maker, and had to "taste test" my fries, I would NOT be able to spit them out. Does that mean I cannot suceed on this WOE? No, but it means I am not going to put myself in front of a daily parade of potatoes.

Yes, sometimes in life we are going to be faced with a choice, and we need to make the right choices. But we don't need to make it harder for ourselves by surrounding ourselves with our addictions on a regular basis.

ETA ok what I said was pretty much already said....didnt read the whole thread before I posted.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

Well I closed the shop for good today and got rid of all my ice cream. Today is the first day back on LC and I have a headache but I knew I would till I get rid of my carbs in my body

I am so excited to be back
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:06

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

Welcome back Tonya! Very best of wishes on your journey back to good health.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:12

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppin
Well I closed the shop for good today and got rid of all my ice cream. Today is the first day back on LC and I have a headache but I knew I would till I get rid of my carbs in my body

I am so excited to be back

Congratulations!

Sorry to disagree with everyone here, but the idea that it's all about willpower and self control is a load of total BS.

I think it was extremely tough for Droppin to make the decision to close the shop. How's that for tough love?

The idea that carbs, and junk food (which Ice cream is) has no impact on your biochemistry and brain chemstry is absurd. You can't 'will' that sort of influence away.

Frankly this idea that junk food and fast food is soooo innocent and it's the greedy fatties that can't control themselves is why Obesity is here to stay in the wider world (outside low carb).

This crud is fed to us as kids. We are hooked when our brain chemistry is just forming.

Frankly the idea of willpower conquering all is about as unscientific as it comes. The numbers how that it has nothing to do with willpower.

Selling the ice cream shop is the best thing! Everyone should close down their ice cream shops and the whole world will be happier and helathier. We won't have the huge heart attack numbers we have.

And yet I'm sure there is another McDonalds openning up today, flogging their pig fat ice creams, and all the willpower fans and jumping for joy!

Environment and nurture has a massive influence on people.

It's not about a Triumph of the Will.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: induction
Stats: 215/215/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I understand what you are saying Val and agree with you 100%!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 01:14
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Smile

Quote:
but i also know that some obstacles don't require quite as big a sacrifice as we often allow ourselves to believe.

Some obstacles do, some don't. Everyone is different. Mind over matter only goes so far when it comes to physical temptation. Unless you're all perfect 'n sh!t.

I applaud the OP for knowing herself well enough to do what she's doing. Closing her business shows an incredible commitment to her woe. We should all be brave enough to step away from a harmful situation.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with everyone here, but the idea that it's all about willpower and self control is a load of total BS.

Yes, exactly. And anyone who has ever been out of control with food (or anything else) understands this.

So, droppin, what's your new business going to be?
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 238/193/135 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, exactly. And anyone who has ever been out of control with food (or anything else) understands this.

I've been out of control with a bunch of different things (former alcoholic, smoker, former druggie, food) and I don't understand this. I don't think it's BS at all. It's about the individual.

And before it's asked, no I never went into rehab or counseling to overcome any of it.

Good for the OP to make a decision based on her needs. My previous posts were merely to give my advice that there might be an underlying food issue that needs to be resolved first and foremost before a potentially major source of income is given up.

Personally (and I stress this so that I'm not flamed for giving my opinion), if I owned an ice cream shop or any kind of food related business, and if that business were profitable (don't know if the OP's was or not), and it was a form of income for my family, I wouldn't give it up because I couldn't low-carb while I had it.