Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 11:52
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Dr. Mikes Eades' 2007 blog entry on Jack Lalanne versus Ansel Keys as they aged:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...-vs-ancel-keys/

Last edited by CarolynC : Tue, Jul-03-12 at 06:58.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 12:25

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhys

Now if you compared low-fat vegans to these incredibly healthy, fit, and dare I say it ripped-and-sexy individuals, there would be no comparison. The low-fat vegans are all skinny-fat. The paleo gurus, on the other hand, are robust and brimming with health. For all intents and purposes, they are eating low-carb diets -- not LC per se, but much lower carb than the SAD, and they eschew the same processed crap LC eschews, and embrace fat in the same way LC embraces fat. The difference between paleo and LC is in the minor details, not in the overall viewpoint.

But the vegan propaganda would never do such a comparison, because it would show them to look bad, as well it should. Instead, they will pick on the LC gurus -- those who were metabolically challenged to begin with and thus who will always have a harder time of it -- because they are much easier pickings.

Ahhhh...thank you. I see now what everyone here is saying...that the video doesn't prove anything because it is comparing apples and oranges - the formerly fat with the always fit. And they (and you) are right about that. However, after reading your post I thought of a couple more people who could fit into this discussion, on the vegan side - John Robbins and Rip Esselstyn. They are both "ripped and sexy", lol.

I guess (and a lot of people here will not agree with this) it all depends on what works for each individual.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
Dr. Mikes Eades 2007 blog entry on Jack Lalanne versus Ansel Keys as they aged:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...-vs-ancel-keys/

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Jack LaLanne was not a vegan, but he did eat a low fat diet. His good health was probably due to his devotion to exercise.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 13:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
I guess (and a lot of people here will not agree with this) it all depends on what works for each individual.
I agree with this actually. There seems to be way more individual variation than we have tolerance for our differences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Jack LaLanne was not a vegan, but he did eat a low fat diet. His good health was probably due to his devotion to exercise.
In the old days he wasn't low fat, he was "low cal". Before the Snackwell's era and salad dressings made of guar gum.

I love his video "Sample Meal Plan." He was all about low cal - no added fat and no processed starches and sugars. It looks exactly like Primal Blueprint! Well except he does say to scramble the morning egg in water. (gak)
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 16:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The facts.

Pictures of diet book authors without any time stamp. Those are facts. But that's all the facts presented. Nothing else. Nobody knows what these people eat. They didn't even fill out a food questionnaire - the lowest form of "scientific" evidence. And that's another fact.

Do any of you believe those facts are enough to draw any conclusion about anything? We're smarter than this. We discuss science every day on this forum, we should know better than to be fooled by the simple association between a picture of an author and the book they wrote.

Gary Taubes is an author. He wrote Good Calories Bad Calories - a book we probably cite more than any other here. Yet we don't go around pointing out how he looks and say "oh look, he's not so lean after all, he mustn't be following his own advice then." Or worse, he mustn't know much about what he just wrote. After all, he wrote probably the single most significant book on diet and health. Why isn't he himself the single most significant example of that?

More facts.

Do any of you dispute the claims made by many posters here who said they found great success by following the advice found in the various books presented in the video? Do any of you dispute the results of the low-carb experimental studies that show low-carb is best in all things measured? Then we'll just admit those as facts too.

Between those two sets of facts, which one are we most inclined to base our own actions on? It's obvious to me.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 17:03

BF:

Quote:

Jack comes form an era when fat was not feared. So low-fat for him might have been higher in fat than most of us would eat, even on low-carb.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 17:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
The facts.

Pictures of diet book authors without any time stamp. Those are facts. But that's all the facts presented. Nothing else. Nobody knows what these people eat. They didn't even fill out a food questionnaire - the lowest form of "scientific" evidence. And that's another fact.

Do any of you believe those facts are enough to draw any conclusion about anything? We're smarter than this. We discuss science every day on this forum, we should know better than to be fooled by the simple association between a picture of an author and the book they wrote.

Gary Taubes is an author. He wrote Good Calories Bad Calories - a book we probably cite more than any other here. Yet we don't go around pointing out how he looks and say "oh look, he's not so lean after all, he mustn't be following his own advice then." Or worse, he mustn't know much about what he just wrote. After all, he wrote probably the single most significant book on diet and health. Why isn't he himself the single most significant example of that?

More facts.

Do any of you dispute the claims made by many posters here who said they found great success by following the advice found in the various books presented in the video? Do any of you dispute the results of the low-carb experimental studies that show low-carb is best in all things measured? Then we'll just admit those as facts too.

Between those two sets of facts, which one are we most inclined to base our own actions on? It's obvious to me.

Martin, you're the one who, on another thread, said that Drs. Esselstyn and McDougall were lying when they claimed to have been eating a vegan diet for years. . Given that bias, why even worry about "facts"?

Oh, and if you want to make sure you're seeing recent pictures, google.

Last edited by HappyLC : Mon, Jul-02-12 at 17:37.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 19:08

BF:

Quote:
Martin, you're the one who, on another thread, said that Drs. Esselstyn and McDougall were lying when they claimed to have been eating a vegan diet for years. . Given that bias, why even worry about "facts"?

Oh, and if you want to make sure you're seeing recent pictures, google.

Are you suggesting that when I say they lie, I'm ignoring the fact of their health status? I'm not. Instead, I'm ignoring the assumption of their diet. Just like I'm ignoring the assumptions about the diet of the authors in the pictures of the video above. More recent pictures won't prove any of those assumptions either.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 20:38

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:

And perhaps, just perhaps, it has something to do with genetics as well.

I used to be a vegetarian. I ate according to Diet for a Small Planet, which was supposed to provide adequate protein while saving the planet, blah blah blah. I stayed overweight eating that way. Low carb seems to work much better with My Body. I too agree with the idea that each person should discover what works best for them. I've tried both approaches and one way is infinitely more successful and sustainable for me. Find your best approach, Happy LC, and each one of us will do the same.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 20:46

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
I completely disagree. I was pretty surprised when I stumbled upon the video, mainly because I was just saying to my husband a couple of weeks ago that I had noticed that all the big names in the lowfat vegan diet world seemed to be in pretty good shape and rather thin, and a lot of the lowcarb luminaries aren't in such great shape. I started looking into it after seeing pictures from the last low carb cruise. (I read a lot of lowcarb blogs.) I'm neither a vegan nor an "lc crazy". I'm just a normal person trying to make sense of it all. And I don't see why this has to be the antithesis of "reasoned, evidence-based discussion." They say the proof is in the pudding. I don't see the harm in asking why there is such a difference in results.

I can understand your point, I really do.

I feel however that this video is clearly not intended to further discussion along health lines. A discussion as to what major proponents of either the vegan or LC camps are healthy or not certainly would be appropriate, but that isn't what THIS particular video is. If the person who uploaded this video DID intend to spark culturally significant, reasoned, evidence based discussion; they wouldn't be deleting comments that express views that oppose theirs.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 23:05

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Ahhhh...thank you. I see now what everyone here is saying...that the video doesn't prove anything because it is comparing apples and oranges - the formerly fat with the always fit. And they (and you) are right about that. However, after reading your post I thought of a couple more people who could fit into this discussion, on the vegan side - John Robbins and Rip Esselstyn. They are both "ripped and sexy", lol.

No worries. I think it was a point worth making as clear as possible, as I think it was in danger of being overlooked. And I do really feel that it IS an unfair comparison as the camps are quite different. It doesn't mean vegans are right (or wrong) and it doesn't mean that LCers are wrong (or right!).

(And you're right, about John and Rip. Not sure why they weren't included.)

Quote:

Nah, I think a lot of people here will actually totally agree with that. I know I do. It's just that the reason many of us are here is because we had to find that out the hard way, because we were often continuously being told that low-fat high-carb was THE ONLY WAY, even when it clearly wasn't working for us. The end result is that often we're a bit defensive of anything that stinks of dietary propaganda, because it was dietary propaganda that got us all in the position we're in!

Honestly, if vegans want to be vegans, if vegetarians want to be vegetarians, if DurianRider wants to (claim to) eat 30 bananas a day, and it works for them, I don't really care, and more power to them. If people can eat 60% carbs a day and stay healthy, more power to them, too.
But I don't go out seeking vegans to tell them how wrong they are, so I get a little defensive when they try to do the same to me.

Diet is a lot like religion, and every bit as touchy a subject to discuss. We all have our own sacred points of view, not always backed up by facts (even if we try to say otherwise) and we all cling to them obstinately in the face of all opposition. Hence, if we don't discuss diet carefully, it can often devolve very quickly into mud-slinging! (And in the same way, I don't go pushing my beliefs about religion on other people, so I get equally touchy when they try to do it to me!)

Quote:

I think we only have a certain amount of info about LaLanne's diet (which I know changed over the years) and probably even less about Keys' diet (iirc he never pushed himself as an example of diet so never had to discuss much what he ate) but I think that Dr. Eades' original point is relevant. Which is that so many people say "well Keys lived past 100 so he must have been doing something right".

Not true. You only have to look at the guy and see how sickly and decrepit he looked in his final years to know he wasn't doing things right. Whereas LaLanne shows clearly that it's perfectly possible to be fit and full of vigor to your dying day. Now it's may be every bit as likely that both their conditions at that point were due to genetics, but it's still a very valid point about how making claims based on how long someone lives is not relevant.

I honestly don't understand what our obsession is with living as long as we possibly can, when these days we have simply exchanged quality of life with quantity of life. Who cares if you live to 100 if you spend the last 20 years of it sitting in a nursing home watching talk shows (that you're too deaf to hear now) in a darkened room all day and complaining to the nurses that your kids never visit anymore? Is that really living? Wouldn't you rather die at 80 but be living your life to the fullest up until that moment? I personally would, and rather hope I do. I don't have any pressing desire to live forever, or even for too long.

Therefore, whenever anyone says "oh Keys was right because he lived to 100", maybe it's time to take a step back and wonder how appropriate that statement really is, on a lot of levels.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 23:45

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Can we please put this in the "best posts" section? This is awesome.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 00:05

BF:

Quote:
Now it's may be every bit as likely that both their conditions at that point were due to genetics, but it's still a very valid point about how making claims based on how long someone lives is not relevant.

Cynthia Kenyon discovered that diet has a significant effect on longevity by studying C. elegans worms. Depending on how much glucose she fed them, some of them lived 2 or 3 times longer, and were still as vigorous at the end of their life as in the beginning. So maybe it's genetics, but I can't help but draw a parallel between Jack and Ancel, and Cynthia's worms. I agree with you that longevity itself is not that relevant but for a different reason. Our longevity today is due in large part to medical advances.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 07:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
If the person who uploaded this video DID intend to spark culturally significant, reasoned, evidence based discussion; they wouldn't be deleting comments that express views that oppose theirs.

You're right about that. I will never understand people who try to silence opposition. IMO, the more info the better.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 07:17

BF:

Quote:
Diet is a lot like religion, and every bit as touchy a subject to discuss. We all have our own sacred points of view, not always backed up by facts (even if we try to say otherwise) and we all cling to them obstinately in the face of all opposition. Hence, if we don't discuss diet carefully, it can often devolve very quickly into mud-slinging! (And in the same way, I don't go pushing my beliefs about religion on other people, so I get equally touchy when they try to do it to me!)

This is what I don't understand, and what, I suppose, is the reason behind "headveg" deleting critical comments on the video. I've seen so many biased dietary studies and can't understand why researchers seem to be looking to reinforce their preconceived notions rather than looking for the truth. It's food! I completely understand your own sensitivity to being told you're wrong, but not why others feel a need to tell you you're wrong.