Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#346   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 369/350/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 9%

Just spoke with a gal at the US branch and she said it was not available here and that it may never be. She did say also that the more people that called in and voiced their opinion the better the chances of us getting it here. She didn't say she was sending me samples but recipes, that works nicely too. I also think the topic should head each forum for those who don't venture in here. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-SBD (some sat fat)
Stats: 305/305/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey52
Just spoke with a gal at the US branch and she said it was not available here and that it may never be. She did say also that the more people that called in and voiced their opinion the better the chances of us getting it here. She didn't say she was sending me samples but recipes, that works nicely too. I also think the topic should head each forum for those who don't venture in here. Just a thought.

I hate to be a party pooper, but a few years ago there was even an online petition sent to the Splenda (McNeil?) people with 10's of thousands of names on it, AT LEAST, .... and I don't even think they responded much to it except to essentially say, "Thanks for your imput, but no."

I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. I think basically they've promised, (maybe even contractually) the large food product companies that they would not put out the pure form of sucralose. Perhaps to ensure less competition ... who knows.
  #348   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:

I guess if we don't get it here it won't be for lack of trying. All things in their time.
  #349   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 21:44

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

I don't get it, they USED to make liquid splenda and it used to be on grocery store shelves, years ago. why'd they pull it at all? there's surely a LARGE market for it! LOL
  #350   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 22:28

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I order mine from this website. It's a little expensive, but it lasts a really, really long time, and I love it.
http://www.sweetzfree.com/orderpaypal1.html
  #351   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:

Well thank you so much for the web site and for the heads up on this one. What do you find the taste to be like?? Is it just sweet like sugar or is it like equal and saccarin with an odd taste to it?? I used to get really bad headaches from equal, you don't find any side effects from it do you?? Just wondering. Thanks again for letting us all know about this product.
  #352   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-SBD (some sat fat)
Stats: 305/305/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
I don't get it, they USED to make liquid splenda and it used to be on grocery store shelves, years ago. why'd they pull it at all? there's surely a LARGE market for it! LOL

I know. It doesn't make any sense. Not only did they USED to sell it here, the still sell it in other countries.

Again, I think it has to do with contractual obligations with food corporations. I can't think of any other reason really.

There's certainly a decent, but limited, market for the liquid splenda, but I'm willing to bet they make A LOT more money selling their stuff to Coke, Pepsi, Diet Rite, Carb Options etc...

And if any of these corporations insisted that they not sell the pure stuff to the public ... then they won't.

If true, I personally think it's ridiculous that corporations be allowed to contractually obstruct competition like that. They want a "free market", up and until they want to prevent competition from someone else.
  #353   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 13:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey52
Well thank you so much for the web site and for the heads up on this one. What do you find the taste to be like?? Is it just sweet like sugar or is it like equal and saccarin with an odd taste to it?? I used to get really bad headaches from equal, you don't find any side effects from it do you?? Just wondering. Thanks again for letting us all know about this product.

Its a bazillion times sweeter than sugar. If you taste it directly your tastebuds will fall off. No, ok, they don't fall off but it isn't nice tasting something 600 times sweeter than sugar. The key is you use much, much less. For instance, I think 1 drop of Sweetzfree is like 1.5 Tablespoons of sugar. So when you bake/cook you might use 1/4 tsp of the liquid concentrate.

I wouldn't gargle with it but its great for cooking.
  #354   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 16:10

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

It is much, much sweeter than sugar, but there's directions right on the bottle, and I haven't had any trouble with it. I have accidently gotten some on the tip of my finger though, and my finger tastes real sweet!
  #355   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 08:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default liquid Splenda

I've been using this product for about a year, found out about it on this site.

I love it! To me it's much better-tasting than powdered Splenda, although I do like that too, a big improvement over Equal, etc.

while liquid Splenda might seem kind of high, the price includes shipping and it lasts a long, long time, like sherbear posted above.

the taste is much more like real sugar, no chemical after-taste, it's wonderful in tea and coffee.

one problem is the limited availability at the sweetzfree site. Orders are taken only a few times a month and for a limited time, usually in about ten minutes supplies are gone.

it can be done, though, I just got two new bottles yesterday
  #356   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:

I saw the site and thought $17 for one ounce! That seems really really expensive but if I only needed 1/4 tsp that would be 24 uses so that sound a little better. I may have to try one if the chance is available.
  #357   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach combo
Stats: 138/124!/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Well Worth It

Sweetfreez is well worth the cost, in my opinion. I've had my 2oz bottle for about a year now and I've still got 1/3 of a bottle remaining. A little goes a loooonnnnnng way! I regularly (1-2 times per week) sweeten an entire 2qt container of tea (about 19 drops per time) and it barely makes a dent in the bottle. If you're on the edge about making the purchase, I'd say go for it and see for yourself. The taste really is superior - again IMHO
  #358   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 12:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:

I boutht some sweetzfreez and tried using it (according to their equivalents) to replace the sugar in my normal pumpkin pie recipe. The pie wasn't even close to as sweet as the sugar version and my friend said it had a slightly strange taste (called it a "twang"). I'll prob throw out the pie and go back to powdered splenda for baking. Too bad. I was really hoping to reduce the carbs more in my dessert recipes but I'd rather have it turn out right even with the extra carbs. I have no problem with powdered splenda as a sugar replacement.
  #359   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 396/325/260 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb Before you give up...

experiment with mixing sweetzfree and some other sweetener, such as saccharin. Really!

Mary-Anne
  #360   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/175/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default liquid splenda

what I do to make liquid splenda is to take equal parts of splenda and water and boil it on the stove till the splenda dissolves and then put it in a container and there you have liquid splenda whenever you need it. I usually take 1/4 C. splenda and 1/4 C. water and then boil it on the stove. It does taste pretty good.