Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 14:40

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Yes, human teeth are strong enough to grind quail bones. At least if they're cooked.

That partly answers a question for me: what to do with the partially boneless quail in the freezer. I bought 2 pounds (lots of tiny birds) when they were on sale and I haven't been able to envision eating around the eensy-weensy bones. Now I just need to work up the nerve to chew them up instead.

Paleoeat -- I admire your fearlessness in tackling all that offal. Did you grow up eating those meats or just start upon going paleo?
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 15:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I ate tongue growing up. We loved it! I think it was one of our favorite things, especially the tongue sandwiches the next day.
  #333   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 15:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I bought 2 pounds (lots of tiny birds) when they were on sale and I haven't been able to envision eating around the eensy-weensy bones.

Yep - when the song says "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie," it means bones and all!
  #334   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 19:19

Plan: ZC carnivore
Stats: 220/194.5/180 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 64%

actually I did, the smaller ones like wing and rib bones.

I wonder if there is nutritional value in eating the bones????
  #335   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 19:24

BF:

BEEF AND OKRA SOUP

1.5 lbs stew meat/bones (I used beef neck)
1 package of Okra (maybe 1/2 lb)
1 rib celery chopped
2 carrots 1/4" slices
1 large onion coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp dry sage
salt/pepper to taste
oil.

brown meat in oil. Place in a pot with water bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. skim scum with spoon. add the veggies and spices. simmer for another 2 hours.

The okra breaks up and the soup tastes very close to pea soup. (at least to me) if you want, add okra in the lat hour of cooking so it stays together. sorry no picks.
  #336   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoeat
I wonder if there is nutritional value in eating the bones????

Yes. Lots of minerals. There's good stuff in the marrow too - I can't remember what, though.
  #337   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 19:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work

Paleoeat -- I admire your fearlessness in tackling all that offal. Did you grow up eating those meats or just start upon going paleo?

I grew up in Russia in the 70's. People were poor and every part of the animal was eaten. so I did eat a lot of offal: cow brains, tripe, liver, feet (they make a "head" cheese type of dish out of it), fish eggs, chicken gizzards, hearts, necks, feet. basically peasant food. I never had kidney though and have a pair sitting in my fridge. they kind of scare me.
  #338   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 22:30

Plan: Atlkins
Stats: 239/224/170 Female 5'7"
BF:don't know
Progress: 22%

I am so old I remember the Great Depression that everyone is talking about now, and we ate all of those things, too. In my town deep fried brain sandwiches are popular, so much so that at our Fall Festival the booths that sell them have a waiting line always. To fry brain sandwiches, you may use either beef or pork brains, and they are quartered, at least, and dipped into a batter that is about the same as a popover batter, if you know the popover. 4 eggs, a little flour, and I'm sure that a nut flour would be good. Then you drop them into a deep fat fryer or put them into an iron skillet that has an inch or two of fat in it. They are eaten here on hamburger buns, with pickle, mustard or kechup, but you may do as any good Paleo might do to them. I haven't made any fo years, because it's easier to go to an old tavern on the west side of my town, where they are particulary popular. They are delicate in flavor, crispy, and if you don't eat hamburger buns, someone would have to decide what a good substitute would be. Perhaps just eating one or two on a plate? those who have never eaten brains tend to look as if they are about to swoon away when this is mentioned. I think it was the old German farmers in town who first brought them to the attention of hungry people who wanted something wonderful with their beer.
Shicovianista
  #339   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 00:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Kidney is good, don't be afraid!
  #340   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 10:07

I've been curious - when you get kidneys, do they come with the adrenals attached?
  #341   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 14:14

BF:

fryless chicken wings

I'm a huge fan of AltonBrown and his Good Eats show on the food network. my wife loves chicken wings. and although hot sauce may not be strictly paleo, I think occasionally enjoying chicken wings is allright by me.

here is the recipe that I used

Ingredients
12 whole chicken wings
1/4 cup Canola oil***
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.

Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into a steamer basket, ( I used 3 dispoasble cake pans taht I poked holes in and staked 3 one on top of the other). Cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 15 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.

While the chicken is roasting, combine oil, minced garlic with hot sauce and salt in a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.

Remove the wings from the oven and immediately transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.

the wings stay crispy on the outside and miost and jucy on the inside! my wife and I gobbled them up fast!

***I substituted Canola oil for butter

Last edited by Paleoeat : Sat, Mar-07-09 at 11:14.
  #342   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 10:52

BF:
Default sauted cabbage

1 small cabbage , quartered and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
1 large onion quartered and sliced into 1/4" stips
1 handfull of very coarsly chopped walnuts
1 handfull of dried cranberries
1 clove garlic, chopped.
oil/fat

I used red cabbage today, but you can use any kind, even brussel sprouts!
melt/heat fatadd all ingredients and saute on med heat until softened. the walnuts give it a nice crunch/texture

shown here with pan fried calf's tongue

Last edited by Paleoeat : Sat, Mar-07-09 at 11:15. Reason: spelling
  #343   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 11:01

BF:
Default Short Rib Stew

this is yet another recipe from Alton Brown on the Food Network. it took a long time to cook and a bit more involved than a "regular" stew, but it was worth it!!!! Some may have a problem with the tomato paste and vinegar and wirsterchire sauce.

NOTE: I altered the recipe a bit by omitting potatos and adding carrotsa and celery and an additoinal onion.

Ingredients
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons dried herbs, any combination of thyme, oregano and rosemary
3 pounds English-cut short ribs
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
5 Carrots sliced
2 ribs celery sliced
2 cups beef broth
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and dried herbs. Set aside.

Season the short ribs with 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt. Place a large griddle(I used 12" cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat and once a drop of water bounces off, sear the meat until browned on all sides. DSo not crowd the meat. You may need to do it in batches. Once browned, remove the meat to the bowl with the paste and toss to coat. Transfer to a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and seal tightly. Place the package into a metal pan and put into a cold oven on the middle rack. Set the oven to 250 degrees F and cook for 4 hours.

Remove the meat from the oven and carefully poke a hole in the pack while holding it over a heatproof container. Drain the liquid into the container and place it into the refrigerator to cool enough so that the fat separates from the rest of the liquid, approximately 1 hour. After 1 hour, transfer the liquid to the freezer and keep there until the fat cap has solidified, approximately 1 hour. Allow the ribs to sit at room temperature while the liquid is cooling or if serving the next day, place in the refrigerator until ready to finish.

Retrieve the liquid from the refrigerator and remove the fat cap that has formed on top. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the fat and reserve the rest for another time***. Place the fat into a large saucier or a pot if makeing a more watery stew (like I did) and place over medium heat. Once the fat has melted add the onion along with the remaining teaspoon of salt and stir to separate the onions into rings. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetasbles veggies and a pinch of black pepper and stir to combine. Next, add the liquid reserved from the meat, the beef broth and stir. Cover tightly and decrease the heat to low so that no heat is escaping the lid. Cook for 30 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender.

Meanwhile, cut the meat away from the bone, removing the connective tissue and discarding. uncover and set the meat atop the vegetables. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.

***The Fat created is so aromatic it is awesome to cook with! I used it in the cabbage dish above.

Last edited by Paleoeat : Sat, Mar-07-09 at 11:13.
  #344   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 11:39

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoeat
I grew up in Russia in the 70's. ... tripe,...

How was the tripe usually prepared? I'm always on the lookout for a good tripe recipe.
  #345   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 14:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
How was the tripe usually prepared? I'm always on the lookout for a good tripe recipe.

see page 22 post # 322 of this thread