Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 168/164/108
BF:
Progress: 7%

Just wanted to point out that on Atkins you'd be up to 35 carbs on the 5th week, and he doesn't restrict you from getting all those carbs from veggies. I don't know the SP diet, but sounds like maybe Atkins just gives a bigger kick-start ???

I think I'll get that book too!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 20:33

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Cool I wanted to post about my sister

She is under the name Tigersue here and she also has PCOS. Over a Year ago she was able to stop working midnight shifts as a nurse.. something that made it very difficult for her to do anything about the oncoming pounds and other distressing symptoms of PCOS.
After getting a couple weeks wind back after quitting to be a full time wife and mom, she started to do "The Firm" tapes. She didn't really change her diet at that time. That was okay because our family has always loved their veggies.. we just happen to like our simple carbs too!
Anyway, she didn't stop to moan about how she wasn't losing very fast or like everyone else. She didn't stop what she was doing to say "This isn't working for me... I have to quit". She knew it was a healthy thing to do even if the pounds weren't coming off. After a few months I moved back in with her for a short time. We were both working out, and I now realize that I must have lost a good 10 pounds during that couple of months while she stayed pretty much at the same place, Measurement and weight wise. Again we hadn't change the diet yet. .but junk food wasn't high on the list.
Somewhere around the time I met the now ex fiancee, ( at least that is the timing she told me today... LOL) I began to notice that she looked different in her chest area. Just.. "smaller" somehow and asked her if she had taken her measurements. When she did.. a little had budged..
She then also got a great doctor who is very proactive with treating PCOS. He started her on several medications to help the symptoms and encouraged her to continue her exercise. She found Leslie Sansone about that time and because I LOVE to walk she got the tapes. And found she loved them to for a little bit extra aerobics.
She kept going back to the Dr and a little bit more each time would have budged off.. not HUGE amounts.. but a pound here and there. In mid summer this year her Dr suggested that she look into Low carbing, and I suggested Scwarzbein as with the depression of my broken engagement and changing life I had stopped doing good for myself exercise wise.. and as usual for me put back on several pounds. I was wanting more permanent answers to the problem than the ever sky rocketing low fat carbs answer that I then had become convinced is killing diabetics all over this country and with a family history of diabetes wanted to GET OUT OF THE LOOP!
Okay. this is a long story.. and the moral?? All over this board I see people get sad.. give up.. compare lost pounds extra. After just a litte while. I see others that hit the secret like my inspirational sister that THIS IS A WAY OF LIFE. Changing your habits and eating styles for long term health. The other things will come.
You can tell the long termers. They don't get the "bars" or the "Shakes". Or the other fake food.. NOT ON ANY OF THE PLANS. They are the ones advising to eat healthy whole nutritional real food. ITS about health. Looking good WILL come.
It really will.. we just have to think and do what we need to to be the best we can be.
For myself. I think that I am going to keep remembering my sisters example..
by the way..she has lost 27 pounds in about a years time.. give or take a little.
I think that is marvelous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wf738.jpg (10.0 KB, 23 views)
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 11:06

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Another idea

There is another plan that is pretty much unknown in your neck of the wood but is very popular in Europe and here at home. It's called The Montignac Method. Might be a good one to satisfy your veggie craving. It works well to drop the pounds, but isn't as restrictive as Atkins.

It seems a bit similar to the SP in many of it's concepts from what I can tell (haven't read the SP Book yet).

It doesn't crack down drastically on carbs like Atkins does, but does eliminate all refined carbs ( I call them the 5W -- white rice, white pasta, white bread, sugar and potatoes) and discourages the use of AS and other unatural ingredients.

You are allowed as many low-GI veggies or fruits as you want. You are also allowed good carbs (carbs which are low on the Glycemic Index), so long as you keep that meal low fat. Your other meals can be combos of protein and fat. (Steak and a salad for example). Veggies can be eaten with either carbs or protein/fat.

It's a good program that emphasizes food should be healthy AND taste good.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:10

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%
Default Step by Step

I started SP in early May and have only lost 8 lbs.

For me, calories do count. Using FitDay and reducing my calories to about 1400/day, I find the scale moves much better. I also am very pleased that my body fat measurements have gone from 33% to 27% so something is working right. I do regular cardio and weight training to help the whole process along.

Hang in there!

Susan
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 10:06

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Flamingo, I am pretty much in the same boat with you , I have found I can follow all the basics of TSP ( chemical free/no junk foods, keep an eye on carbs,consume whole foods etc.) but I had to start counting calories to lose after awhile (same amount of yours most days). I go to fitday.(it is great for seeing the %'s of your daily menu) occasionally, but normally just use pencil, paper, Netzer's food count book, and calculator. I have found it isn't the hassle I used to think it was because I am eating whole/satisfying foods and can eat quite a lot on that amount. But I do have to limit fats like butter, but can still include some healthy fats -- butter is much more satisfying than those icky margarines! I have found the scale going down since starting this.

I think we all come from different circumstances and have to see which works for us. One observation I have made are that Atkin's dieters ( I found this myself on Suzanne Somer's level 1 plan, which is similar to Atkin's in limiting carbs) have a lot of posts about hair loss, especially if they do not take the extra supplements. I haven't noticed too many on TSP boards. Also I think it is easy to maintain on TSP since it includes everything the body needs from the start. I have read where it is very important to consider the maintenance part of a program from the start to keep it off, and with TSP there is little difference. As stated in her books the plan helps stop yo-yo dieting for good! That is the bane of many dieters. So maybe slow loss isn't the worst thing possible.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 19:18

Plan: Schwarbein Principle
Stats: 135/133/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Cosmosis' discouragement on TSP

Dear Cosmosis,
You're the first person I'm writting to since joining the Forum and I don't know what the devil I'm doing re chatting-- I hope you get this reply.
First of all, I read the forward in S. Somers' book a few yrs. ago. It was written by Schwarzbein. I was first alerted to her name at that time. I tried Somersizing and for one reason or another I discontinued it after losing a few pounds. I did feel better and really enjoyed the food, however, the food combining was too much of an effort. Most of all, I simply didn't feel comfortable with the presentation of Somers' theory... something didn't sit right with me. But, the name D. Schwarzbein I remembered.
So, I went to the library and read her book. Did nothing about it. I took it out again 3 wks. ago. I've been on TSP for almost 3 weeks and have lost a few pounds and I feel wonderful. I'm motivated, I love the food and I never feel bloated or hungry.
Please go through the book. There is a helpful chart to figure your daily carbo intake and that's a start. There's a month of meals. Look the foods over and apply them to what appeals to you. Don't worry about what she says about chemicals, organic foods etc. yet. This might confuse and discourage you. Simply enjoy the new way of eating and relax about it and give it time.
Again, I sure hope you receive this letter!
angelarose
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 02:24
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

angelarose -

For six months I tried an online food combining program that was very similar to Somercizing.

I found the protein meals satisfying but carb meals always left me wanting more even when my tummy was full.

And forget eating fruit alone! It wreaked havoc on my blood sugar levels. Now I enjoy a combo of a piece of fruit and nuts for a snack or a piece of fruit following a meal for dessert. Blood sugar issues are resolved and I don't experience any of the digestive problems predicted by the food combining enthusiasts.

Don't know if that is what didn't sit well with you regarding Somercizing but I thought I'd share what I came up with when I evaluated my food combining experience.

So glad TSP is a going well for you! Keep up the good work!

amieK
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 21:47

BF:
Default My first contact!

amieK, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about Somersizing with me. I'm so happy to have made contact with you! I'm all thumbs when it comes to computers, and STILL not understanding threads, posts, this and that. I'm not sure just how I got to you, however, your correspondence. Thank you once again.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 23:18
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hey angelarose, don't feel bad you're doing fine.

I know it can be intimidating how proficient some people are on the computer but remember everybody started out as a newbie.

This site is very user-friendly. Instructions aren't too difficult to find for most things and the people here are always willing to help if you get stuck. I'm still learning new stuff everyday.

I hope you come back and visit here often.
amieK
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:49

BF:

Thanks amieK! Seems I'm having more trouble keeping up with the computer as opposed to TSP. Last night we went out for an early Valentine's dinner celebration. I went wayyyy overboard and ate as I used to: martini, bread, pasta,apple-caramel cake. Good lord, I went nuts. And did I feel ill! I drank lots of peppermint tea, and water-- I felt such a need to flush out my system. I had had all intentions of having steak and salad for dinner, but once I started on the bread basket all discipline went out the window. So, today I resumed the Principal way of eating--I feel so good about what I'm doing that last night's insanity is not causing me guilt. The indigestion was enough of a lesson.
Take care, Angela
P.S. Now, if I can only remember how I got to this place in the forum...
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 06:16
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 221/221/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just wondering... what is PCOS? I see it a great deal and have been trying to figure it out.

Thanks
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Cosmos, I tried Atkins on and off for 2 years and lost 20 pounds. It was too unreasonable and I had to keep starting all over. I would lose very quickly initially and would gain it back when I started to add the carbs on. I also consumed an unbelieveable amount of nutrasweet and artificial sweeteners because I wanted sweets so badly. I realize how unhealthy was because of the many artificial ingredients. I just finished the SPII book and realize I was going to add more hormone imbalance if I would have continued. My goal is to heal and the weight loss will come.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:30
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Quote:
My goal is to heal and the weight loss will come.

Amen to that, Piano!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 22:36

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

I think that is a great idea, but...I'm not sure where calories figure into this. I think that within the framework of TSP, a person can eat a lot of food. I haven't been losing weight, but I have also been eating 2000+ kcal/day. I don't think that is going to work for me. I'm not sure how the whole "healing and then losing weight" thing is supposed to work...or how long a person is supposed to wait. I suspect that I require less healing than many people (being relatively healthy), and I need to cut back.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:33
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

zandria -

I suspect you may be like me. Some of us just don't lose unless we keep an eye on portion size and fat intake.

I don't consider what I do as Low Fat but where Dr S says to use 2 Tablespoons butter to make a 2 serving 4 egg omelette, I would use 1 or 1 1/2 teaspoons. And I prefer to make omelettes with water not cream. I use half 'n half for scrambled eggs. I use full fat dairy products like cheese and yogurt, just in lesser amounts.

I also usually choose lower fat cuts of meat such as sirloin because they're cheaper, although when premium cuts of steak are on sale, I do like to splurge once in awhile. Usually I cut off the visible fat on meat and give it to the dog, sometimes before cooking, sometimes after. He likes it better than I do.

And although LC foods satisfy me and don't leave me with that wanting more feeling like carbs do, my LC meals are just so tasty, I know I overeat at times.

And I need to exercise if I want to lose weight. The weight doesn't move unless I do. Some people lose weight successfully by just following the diet but a lot of us need to move it to lose it. It's been said hundreds of times but you just have to find what works for you.

Happy Schwarzbeining!
amieK