Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 00:11

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
I used Atkins bars on induction and lost 12 pounds in two weeks. Most of the arguments against Atkins bars are based on food morality. Yes, some people might not tolerate them but only just some. Are you one of them? No one knows beforehand.

I don't know about food morality, but different strokes for different folks. I am so carb sensitive that the LC bars just did not work for me. That's not to say they don't work for others. However, as someone else pointed out, the essence of the Atkins program as Dr. Atkins wrote it was using "real" foods, not stuff like bars and shakes.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/200/200 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default the bars were around when dr atkin's was alive

the bars were around when dr atkin's was alive...now, there are more flavors now but he was alive and active when his company first sold the bars and shakes...the bars typically have 2-5 grahams of net carbs so i dont know how they would "make dr atkins turn over in his grave." if you ate three bars it would only put you around 9 grams of carbs...hardly a catastrophe......now i understand some may be sensitive but if you are following the plan by the book they are perfectly fine for induction
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 03:03

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I am fairly sure that the original Atkins bars were very different from the ones available nowadays and included only induction allowed ingredients. I have been told they were fairly unappetising so probably self-limiting too!

The modern ones are more like candy bars and many are made of non-induction allowed ingredients so if anyone is thinking of including them as regular menu items on induction do make sure you check the ingredients list and save those which contain non-induction stuff for when they are allowed in OWL.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsrule
the bars were around when dr atkin's was alive...

Fun fact!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 08:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I get in trouble with cheese and peanuts. They seem to be perfectly good weight-loss food for some people. They're limited on Atkins, the explanation given is their carbohydrate content. Much as I love Atkins, I doubt that that's my problem with them. If I ate all of my calories as peanuts, at 2600 calories, that would be 29 grams of digestible carbohydrate. All my calories as hard cheese, 20 grams of carbohydrate. Sure, if instead I had all fatty meat, that would be almost zero carbohydrate. Carbohydrate intake is crucial, but I don't think it's all that's going on. Eggs have pretty much the same level of carbohydrate as cheese--and yet it's an unlimited food. And when I treat eggs as an unlimited food, I do well, but if I treat cheese as an unlimited food, I gain weight. Just because a food has some trace amount of carbohydrate, and that food stalls somebody, doesn't necessarily mean that the carbohydrate content of that food is the determining factor.

Heavy cream is another thing that's strictly limited--with long experience low carbing, I think it's very likely that ignoring this particular rule probably would have been harmless in my case.

Personally, I think Atkins Bars should be left out of Induction, but if Dr. Atkins never said this, I guess I say this only with my own authority, which isn't saying much. But--induction is sort of an elimination diet, and I think one point of induction is to make the initial diet as universally effective as possible. Going back to the heavy cream--that rule wasn't for my benefit, it was for the people that heavy cream would have been a problem for. What's better, to do without Atkin's bars (or much heavy cream) for a couple of weeks, and then introduce them, and see if they stall you--or to assume they're fine to start with, and then be demoralized if you don't lose weight?

It would be good to see a controlled study with Atkins bars to see their real effect on weight loss. Plateaus happen. Stall for a couple of weeks, do nothing, often weight loss continues. Stall for a couple of weeks, drop the Atkins bars--look, weight loss continued. Was it dropping the bars, or was it just time?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 08:04

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Atkins bars used to stall me when I was losing and even now I'm at goal when I have one it triggers my sweet cravings. so I only ever have them occasionally - one every few months.

Jo xxx
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: 230/200/200 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
the bars were around when dr atkin's was alive...now, there are more flavors now but he was alive and active when his company first sold the bars and shakes...the bars typically have 2-5 grahams of net carbs so i dont know how they would "make dr atkins turn over in his grave." if you ate three bars it would only put you around 9 grams of carbs...hardly a catastrophe......now i understand some may be sensitive but if you are following the plan by the book they are perfectly fine for induction

induction is right around 20-25 grahams of carbs!!!! STOP SAYING "INGREDIENTS"-----I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT----THE BARS HAVE 3 GRAHAMS OF NET CARBS!!!!!!!! PERFECTLY GOOD FOR INDUCTION!!!!!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 15:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Ingredients: Chocolate Flavored Coating (Polydextrose, Palm Kernel Oil, Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium), Peanut Butter Flavored Layer (Maltitol, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Peanut Butter, Partiallly Defatted Peanut Flour, Nonfat Dry Milk, Whey Powder, Peanuts, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Anhydrous Milk Fat, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Glycerin, Protein Blend (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Sodium Caseinate), Peanuts, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Water, Polydextrose, Peanut Butter (Ground, Roasted Peanuts), Cellulose, Natural and Artificial Flavoris, Palm Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Clarified Butter, Soy Lecithin, Guar Gum, Vitamin Mineral Mix (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Ascorbate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Niacinamide, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Chromium Chelate, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Salt, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Sucralose, Mono and Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate.

Those are the INGREDIENTS in an Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter bar. The Nutrition Facts label lists 23g of carbohydrate, from which you may presumably subtract 11g as "sugar alcohols" (which may or may not enter your system as digestible carbohydrate). Most of those unpronounceables appear to be vitamins. But there's not much on that list that I can identify as actual food.

Label includes this Warning:
This product contains sugar alcohols, which may cause gastrointestinal discomfort. Excess consumption may cause laxative effect.

Eat them if you want to. Personally, I get better dietary mileage out of maybe a handful of peanuts?

Last edited by bkloots : Sat, May-09-15 at 15:55.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 17:54

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
induction is right around 20-25 grahams of carbs!!!! STOP SAYING "INGREDIENTS"-----I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT----THE BARS HAVE 3 GRAHAMS OF NET CARBS!!!!!!!! PERFECTLY GOOD FOR INDUCTION!!!!!

Not perfectly good for induction, not anything DR ATKINS would have recognized as such anyway, no matter how much you kick and scream. Don't expect everybody else to be as unconcerned and ignorant about the things they put in their mouth, or willing to believe marketing hype as you seem to be.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 17:56

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I am fairly sure that the original Atkins bars were very different from the ones available nowadays and included only induction allowed ingredients. I have been told they were fairly unappetising so probably self-limiting too!

The modern ones are more like candy bars and many are made of non-induction allowed ingredients so if anyone is thinking of including them as regular menu items on induction do make sure you check the ingredients list and save those which contain non-induction stuff for when they are allowed in OWL.

The bars and shakes were different for sure. Probably didn't taste as good, and were NEVER pushed as induction friendly.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 19:24

Quote:

I'm as unconcerned and ignorant about the things I put in my mouth. Don't worry about it. No need for all caps. The replies you get back have no objective basis and there's no way you'll be able to convince them.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-10-15, 02:47

BF:

Quote:

a. Atkins induction is up to 20 grams net carbs
b. "Ingredients" means the various (and many) types of food and chemicals used to make the bar.

Looking at the list of the stuff used to make it (ingredients list) that Barbara posted, apart from the many sweeteners and stabilisers etc used there are several ingredients not allowed on induction - Cocoa powder, soy, peanuts and milk - which all become allowed later on your Atkins journey.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-10-15, 02:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
The replies you get back have no objective basis and there's no way you'll be able to convince them.
Sigh . . . if you want to think that it is your privilege.

Most of us are merely pointing out the facts and maybe our own personal experiences.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-10-15, 05:59

I don't want facts. Facts are things which lawyers use to make a case. I want data. Data is something scientists use to guide them. Give me data and I'll be happy.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-10-15, 10:05

BF:

Would the list of ingredients would count as data?!?!