Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 21:13

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 242/240/190 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for that info...I didn't think about that angle. I know going without carbs becomes easier and those cravings go away, so what a bummer it would be to have to go through that all over again. I'll check the book out when it gets here anyway and experiment with it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 21:57

BF:
Progress:

I was just doing a little research and came across this article on the NEW Atkins plan, and wow, it's so good, I doubt if anyone would need to get the book. It says that up to 20g daily of certain carbs is now allowed. I'm really impressed with this write up! It even has a 2 week food plan. Seems to have included everything anyone would need to know. Have a look if you are into Atkins...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ose-weight.html
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 06:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Actually since at least 2003 the Atkins plan has allowed up to 20 net carbs a day, from a list of allowed foods, for the first 2 weeks!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 06:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you do decide to follow their suggested 2 weeks of menus I would consider not eating the suggested foods on their menus that contain non-allowed ingredients.

For example:
Rye toast contains grains which are not on the list
A peanut butter bar contains peanuts as well as maybe other ingredients that are not on the allowed list
Soya milk is made from a legume which is not on the allowed list
Most Atkins bars contain ingredients not on the allowed list
etc, etc

So do look at the list of ingredients of any items before deciding you believe that all items on their menus are actually allowed under the rules!!

Also I noticed they are including a lot of sweetened foods and drinks. The rule in all the Atkins books I have read is to allow yourself a maximum of 3 servings of sweetener in any day.

Also many of us have managed to lose the "need" for eating/drinking sweet stuff by starving our sugar monster instead of feeding it every day.
So preparing many snacks which are not sweetened to nibble on if you do feel "snacky" would help you make your sugar monster shrivel up and go away instead of feeding it and keeping it alive and demanding its fix!!

Last edited by Elizellen : Sun, Oct-13-13 at 06:21.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 07:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I strongly recommend reading one of Dr. Atkins' books. I use 'Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution', which was the most recent revision he produced before he died. He was a fabulous and encouraging person, with amazing knowledge and many years of experience. In his book, things like rye bread would only be added to the diet when someone was pretty well trying to maintain their weight. Even if you aren't doing his diet, his book abounds with information and advice.

Another good source of knowledge and inspiration is Jimmy Moore's collection of podcast interviews - there are hundreds of them, which are listed in the archive here:

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/archive/

I collated a collection of material about the Atkins diet - a very interesting video first of all, then podcasts by experts, and some related material. Here's the post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...21&postcount=28
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 07:33
Registered Member

Stats: 141/132.7/115 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
If you do decide to follow their suggested 2 weeks of menus I would consider not eating the suggested foods on their menus that contain non-allowed ingredients.

For example:
Rye toast contains grains which are not on the list
A peanut butter bar contains peanuts as well as maybe other ingredients that are not on the allowed list
Soya milk is made from a legume which is not on the allowed list
Most Atkins bars contain ingredients not on the allowed list
etc, etc

So do look at the list of ingredients of any items before deciding you believe that all items on their menus are actually allowed under the rules!!

Also I noticed they are including a lot of sweetened foods and drinks. The rule in all the Atkins books I have read is to allow yourself a maximum of 3 servings of sweetener in any day.

Also many of us have managed to lose the "need" for eating/drinking sweet stuff by starving our sugar monster instead of feeding it every day.
So preparing many snacks which are not sweetened to nibble on if you do feel "snacky" would help you make your sugar monster shrivel up and go away instead of feeding it and keeping it alive and demanding its fix!!

I'm on Atkins Phase One, Induction, and I don't recall them allowing you any Rye toast. In addition, they're not "allowing" a lot of sweetened foods and drinks during this stage--it still goes into your daily carb count, and they highly discouraging it.

They're just offering an option for those who would go nuts without having that sweet fix for the day. In other words, they say a 20-carb diet with a sweet fix is better than a 25 carb without one, or someone who QUITS a diet because of that sweet monkey on their back.

I have one of their bars at the end of the day, but the peanut one isn't allowed during induction. The Chocolate Crisp bar that I've been eating has 3 net carbs, so it's not a decision I take lightly:

That 3nc takes a big hunk from your daily 20!

I'll just say this:

I'm not very overweight, but I've always eaten any piece of high-carbs crap in front of me. I've also always been a SERIOUS beer drinker (life is tough, you know?), with THOSE tons of carbs.

I am now on Day 6 of Induction, and with the Atkins plan, from Day 1, I have had ZERO cravings for sweet junk food, and feel full all day. More miraculous, I don't even miss the beer!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 12:25

Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Personally, I struggle with alot of negative inner self talk, that tries to sabotage me. All day long! My personal motto is: just get through the day! I`ve found that having goals are essential but by narrowing in on a day-to day basis, you will learn more about yourself, your body and be able to control your frame of mind. Be consistent with this and you can do it girl. I also happen to aim big when I reach sm goals like: new shoes, bag, makeup, pampering...invest in your happiness and really be a `Goddess
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 15:34

BF:
Progress:

Thanks 146pounds...I am learning a lot about myself...I am learning that I can't change anything if I start from a "victim" mentality...that only if I 'own' it can I change it. It's a great thing to learn, finally!
Thanks everyone else too for feedback on the Atkins Article. I now have the real book lol...I didn't remember any kind of bread being permitted, so I guess they got it pretty wrong and my jubilation was short-lived hahaha.
Anyway, I accept that I can't have breads and cereals and sugars now, but I can live with that. Onward and Upward xox
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 15:43

BF:
Progress:

Hi Irarat...that's one thing I do remember from my long ago attempt at no carbs...that finally the craving for sweet things goes and I can remember that I didn't even feel hungry (and that was a first). Sorry you have to miss out on the beer. I'm lucky that I am not a drinker so that's one thing I don't have to give up. The worst thing for me is the sugar and milk in tea. I don't know why I let such a little thing sabotage me, but I have done in the past. It's time I changed that, cut the sugar and just got over it. I have had years when I used artificial sweetener, but stopped when I realized the health dangers and went back to sugar. Now I am using Xylitol because it doesn't have that nasty aftertaste. I am thinking if I do Atkins right it must be Splenda and maybe I'll just have to get used to it or go cold turkey, with nothing in my tea. It's funny how old habits die hard...and it's often the littlest of things that trip us up!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 07:44

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Kirsteen, I will check them out...good luck to you too!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 09:04
Registered Member

Stats: 141/132.7/115 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessMe
Hi Irarat...that's one thing I do remember from my long ago attempt at no carbs...that finally the craving for sweet things goes and I can remember that I didn't even feel hungry (and that was a first). Sorry you have to miss out on the beer. I'm lucky that I am not a drinker so that's one thing I don't have to give up. The worst thing for me is the sugar and milk in tea. I don't know why I let such a little thing sabotage me, but I have done in the past. It's time I changed that, cut the sugar and just got over it. I have had years when I used artificial sweetener, but stopped when I realized the health dangers and went back to sugar. Now I am using Xylitol because it doesn't have that nasty aftertaste. I am thinking if I do Atkins right it must be Splenda and maybe I'll just have to get used to it or go cold turkey, with nothing in my tea. It's funny how old habits die hard...and it's often the littlest of things that trip us up!

But you can have all the heavy cream you want! (I don't notice the difference at all in my coffee.)

As far as sweeteners, I just bought a box of Stevia packets, tried it in a cup of coffee, and it was pretty good for my tastes. But the next day, I had my coffee without it to TRY and develop the habit of enjoying it without.

But I still need that box in the cupboard because you simply have to have sweeteners for certain desert items.

Today I start my second week of Induction, and the hardest part hasn't been the eating--it's learning to count carbs correctly, and planning out my meals. Yeah, it's gotten easier, but there's still a bit of mental work involved in doing Atkins.

But I guess that's true for all diets. And while we're on the subject, see you later:

I'm in the mood for a cup of coffee!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 10:28

Plan: Atkins Indunction (DANDR)
Stats: 205/202/130 Female 5'2 or 62''
BF:42%/???/28%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
That's the thing about change. It changes everything.

You start eating low carb to lose weight, and it does that. But you also wind up feeling better; more energy, better sleep, fewer digestive issues, shinier, stronger hair and nails. But your moods are also better; cheerful and positive. Blood pressure normalizes, blood sugar stabilizes, you even find yourself more confident. And it's not just the change in size.

It's the change in you.

OR

You can have cereal in the morning.

WOW! You hit the nail on the head WereBear!! EXACTLY!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 20:12

BF:
Progress:

In some ways maybe the old original Atkins was easier in that we didn't have to count carbs, just eliminate them completely. I heard that the Bodytrim diet does a complete carb elimination for the first three days then you go on low carb (salads and veges). I really want to have that energy again...to feel like I can walk around freely and not be dragging all this extra weight along with me.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 03:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I just wrote that in another thread The original Atkins is simple to follow with measurement of some foods instead of carb counting, a good way to start until more settled into this way of eating, cravings gone, etc.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 09:21

Plan: my own, close to atkins
Stats: 206/193/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

love the feedback thank you good and bad but all makes sense! yea, I def miss cereal but since nobody really condoned any brand etc I can train myself..basically already have to live without it. It was just another middle of the night habit that I have already gone 5-6 weeks without. Builds character I guess haha! Been craving something sweet at night and sug free jello is getting old. I looked up a receipe for homade cheesecake popsicles under 4g carb..I will let you know how they are!