Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 10:58

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There is a hand lotion my cat seems to love to lick. It's quite stinky, floral smelling, I can't imagine what he likes about it!

If I ever have coconut oil on my hands, my cats like to lick it off
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 11:16

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I don't use toothpaste - just a mixture of salt, baking soda, epsom salt and bentonite clay. I stopped using deodorant a long time before going low-carb or Paleo, although I sometimes use clay or a "deodorant stone" if I really stink.

My wife would not let me get away without using soap or shampoo, but we're careful to get products that are grain-free, and sometimes we get stuff that's lauryl-sulfate free too.

That reminds me of an episode of wife swap. They had on raw foodies who used a mix of clay and something else on their teeth(I forget what) and then of course they show her teeth and they looked BAD(not saying this is your situation!)

I had read that the baking soda and gums was good for your teeth and gums. Something about getting oxygen in the gaps to get rid of the bacteria.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 14:26
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I use Eco Dent tooth powder. It's great.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 18:32

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
ETA: also use a mix of coconut/palm oil for after-shower moisturizing, that's it! Well, a natural toothpowder too, when I bother to brush at all. As low carb as I eat my teeth stay clean without it.

Thanks for all the ideas everybody. Where do you get your palm oil?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 20:09

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i'm with you nancy, on the subject of not smelling your own stink.
my daughter is the front end manager of a large food co op and complains endlessly about peop who smell.
i must say, i get a good laugh out of some of those stories.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:39

i saw some recipes for no poo and deoderant on the 1greengereration site.

i think deoderant was 1 part baking soda and 6 parts corn starch. it seems that soda alone can cause itchy rash.

for poo she made a mix of baking soda and water, massaged it into dry scalp then rinsed after a couple minutes. conditioned w a diluted vinegar.

one of my friends who has long, thick curls simply uses diluted acv. no tangles, shiny.....

when i run out of shampoo and deoderant, i'll try these.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 00:04

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
That reminds me of an episode of wife swap. They had on raw foodies who used a mix of clay and something else on their teeth(I forget what) and then of course they show her teeth and they looked BAD(not saying this is your situation!)

Isn't that the show where they had the "high meat" people (they fermented their meat in jars and ate it raw)? Sounds like they try to make it into a real freakshow.

I tried brushing with just clay for a little while but it seemed to be staining my teeth. The baking soda helps keep them white. It's good to have a spouse who's forthright about these things...
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 06:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

BTW, there's an old thread that's pretty long that talks about some experiments and successes as people try some non-commercial stuff for the first time.
The Paleo Beauty Secrets thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...21&page=1&pp=15

I'm another ecodent toothpowder user.
http://www.eco-dent.com/throw-out-y...-your-smile.pdf

I love how my mouth feels after using it. And I use the rinse occasionally too. I was stuck somewhere recently and used commercial toothpaste - I felt like I was poisoning myself.

Last edited by PhxSarah : Mon, Mar-08-10 at 06:07.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 08:18

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88

I had read that the baking soda and gums was good for your teeth and gums. Something about getting oxygen in the gaps to get rid of the bacteria.

I remember that episode, it was clay and butter. They were the ones who ate high meat! Most people think I am weird but I even thought they were kind of weird, and their house was so dirty!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 08:20

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
i'm with you nancy, on the subject of not smelling your own stink.
my daughter is the front end manager of a large food co op and complains endlessly about peop who smell.
i must say, i get a good laugh out of some of those stories.

HAHAHA food co-ops are a great place to go to smell a bunch of b/o trying to be covered up by patchouli
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 11:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Or the folks who wear cologne or perfume... Good god, I think I'd almost rather smell a rotten fish head than someone absolutely drenched in that stuff. I had an office mate once who not only had a horrible smelling cologne but he drenched himself in it. I would nearly lose my breakfast everyday when he walked in. Maybe when people are trying to mask unpleasant body smells they overdo it on that stuff.

I once worked with a beautiful middle-eastern girl, just gorgeous, but she always smelled quite like she'd just rolled in her dinner. I mean, the spices and stuff just exuded out of her. It wasn't entirely pleasant.

Then you get the people using too much cologne to cover up really nose-searing stink. If there is a hell, people do that there.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 14:47
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave28
Thanks for all the ideas everybody. Where do you get your palm oil?
Food coop, Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, probably Safeway... we use Spectrum organic palm oil shortening. Mostly we use it for frying/sauteeing when we need a high-heat neutral tasting oil.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 21:18

Plan: ulc-paleo(meaty goodness)
Stats: 175/165/140 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
If I'm not mistaken I think those crystals are made from potassium alum and some people think that may be as bad for you as aluminum in other anti-perspirants.

I don't personally like anti-perspirant deodorant - it seems to make me warmer when I *should* be sweating. But I will say that I've never seen any convincing evidence that topical application of the forms of aluminum in anti-perspirant deodorant has any negative impact.

People have cited old studies correlating aluminum in drinking water with alzheimer's, and they're believable, but I'd still apply topically many many things I would never think of taking orally (like erythromycin-alcohol gel and benzoyl peroxide for acne).
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 23:39

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

We used coconut oil as natural sunscreen last year and it worked perfectly. I run sometimes up to 3.5 hours outside in the afternoon in the summer and am and Irish lassie so I have to be careful and CO worked for me, even in those conditions with no shade. If I am doing a big race sometimes I will use a heavy duty sweat resistant sports sunscreen but as I recall (this was last summer), the CO worked nearly as well. I was kind of amazed. I am highly allergic to sodium borate which is in alot of ecofriendly products (esp. Burt's Bees) so I have to avoid many of the best ones, but we manage to get as little as possible.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 09:56

did ya'll see that episode of The New Adventures of Old Christine? 'Use some deoderant, that crystal doesn't work!!'
i laughed so hard.
when i lived in NY, i used the crystal and guess what? it didn't work.

Wyvrn, the reason your list of businesses w smelly peop is more lengthy is because of where you live!