Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 19:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 20:57

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm sorry to hear this news.

I agree with the responses given here. Avoid estrogenic foods, stay in deep ketosis, increase fat, and reduce protein. A study came out this year which dispelled the soy/cancer relation. I haven't read the actual study but I would still avoid soy like the plague. Check every single label. Even salad dressing contains soy lecithin. Ideally, stick to whole foods which don't need labels: veggies, meat, and eggs.

You may have read about this study before. It's excellent. Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer?

Finally, look up Insulin Potentiation Therapy. Dr. Eades of Protein Power talks about it. It uses a fraction of the regular amount of chemotherapy after lowering blood glucose with insulin. This apparently weakens the cancer cells, requiring less chemo.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

BTW Nancy--excellent article! Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by TimesTwo : Sun, Dec-27-09 at 21:30.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 06:40

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
This is pretty high in DHAEPA 425 - 600 mg DHA 740 - 850 mg 1 tsp twice daily would be fine.

Hi Hutchinson,
Can you recommend a fish oil that doesn't contain soy? I'll need to avoid anything potentially estrogenic. The Vitamin D seems to be helping my mood so far at least (and hopefully more than that) as I wait to find out more. Thanks a lot and to everyone else who's offered suggestions.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Natural Factors, RxOmega-3 Factors, EPA 1500 mg/DHA 750 mg, Natural Orange Flavor, 8 fl oz As you only need one teaspoon of this it isn't quite as expensive as it looks.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 09:03

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I'd personally try for a slightly ketogenic diet if I had a cancer diagnosis.

Why "slightly" ketogenic?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 09:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/198/165 Female 5'10"
BF:single ;)
Progress: 0%

hi, i found a link for you, i'm sorry your dealing with this. I am praying for you....

http://www.stanford.edu/group/ketodiet/mealplnr.xls

Gina.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 09:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/198/165 Female 5'10"
BF:single ;)
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Natural Factors, RxOmega-3 Factors, EPA 1500 mg/DHA 750 mg, Natural Orange Flavor, 8 fl oz As you only need one teaspoon of this it isn't quite as expensive as it looks.

hi, do you think other fish oils, like you buy at the store is toxic? full of mercury? thankyou.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 12:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina_185
hi, do you think other fish oils, like you buy at the store is toxic? full of mercury? thankyou.

No, don't worry about it. I don't think consumer labs has ever found mercury in any fish oil they've tested.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 13:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Why "slightly" ketogenic?

I am, by no means trying to answer for Ted, but as for me, I would keep my diet ketogenic because 1. It maintains cells, organs etc. 2. It increases the absobablity of vitamin D 3. It starves cancer cells. Ketones, in themselves are, in a sense, a natural medecine that the body makes.

I would also eat grassfed meats that have not been treated with antibiotics or any other meds.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 13:40

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I am, by no means trying to answer for Ted, but as for me, I would keep my diet ketogenic because 1. It maintains cells, organs etc. 2. It increases the absobablity of vitamin D 3. It starves cancer cells. Ketones, in themselves are, in a sense, a natural medecine that the body makes.

I would also eat grassfed meats that have not been treated with antibiotics or any other meds.

I think ketogenic is a great idea. I was just wondering why he suggested she go "slightly" ketogenic.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 14:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I think ketogenic is a great idea. I was just wondering why he suggested she go "slightly" ketogenic.

Yes, I wondered that too. But, I also was thinking that he meant to go at least "slightly" ketogenic as a minnimum goal.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 14:43
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Grimalkin, I'm so sorry to hear of your bad news. It's very frightening. I know, because I've been there.

I am an 11 1/2-year survivor of the kind of cancer you have been diagnosed with. I had 5 tumors and all of the lymph nodes in my right axilla were involved, as well. I had heavy chemo for 4 months, but no radiation.

The doctor gave me something with the chemo to prevent nausea, because it would have been dangerous for me not to be able to keep down my anti-seizure meds. The worst problem I had was severe constipation, so I suggest you keep something on hand to use for that.

If you ever need someone to talk to, please feel free to get in touch with me, either by PM or in my journal.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 15:10
Registered Member

BF:

I don't worry about mercury in fish oils either.
The one I recommended is particularly concentrated and because it's Pharmaceutical Grade it's molecularly distilled that can allow them to claim potential mercury/heavy metals contamination has been removed.

However, ensuring you have sufficient selenium sources in your diet/or supplements should more than counter the effects of mercury.

The Roles of Serum Selenium and Selenoproteins on Mercury Toxicity

and Selenium: Mercury's Magnet

The reason I am in favor of consuming sufficient complex carbohydrates to stay "slightly" ketogenic rather than deeply ketogenic is that I've been reading a lot about butyrate recently.

The best ways to increase butyrate production in the gut are to increase consumption of soluble fiber such as fructooligosaccharide (FOS) and increase intake of resistant starches, which are a component of most vegetables.

One good source of FOS is a banana and I wouldn't want the aim of staying totally in ketosis 24/7 to put anyone off eating a banana from time to time for it's possible butryrate production.

Sodium Butyrate Induces G2 Arrest in the Human Breast Cancer Cells MDA-MB-231 and Renders Them Competent for DNA replication
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 05:11
Registered Member

BF:

Don and I have had an exchange of words with the author of this report He very kindly sent me a copy of his paper so if anyone would like a look to see if am being fair to him, please PM me.

In situations where it is important the information gained from cutting edge research is acted upon in a sensible and reasonable manner to improve where possible the outcomes for cancer victims it is absolutely vital there is absolutely no unnecessary confusion.

This research was about glucose restriction. There are some people reading this particular forum who are extremely interested in the differences between the effects of glucose as opposed to the effects of ketones on cancer cell metabolism.
It may indeed be absolutely true that calorie restriction, whatever source that calorie came from, has exactly the same effect on lung cancer cell metabolism.
This researched measured the effects of glucose restriction.
that is why the paper was titled
Glucose restriction can extend normal cell life
but the media release states
Calorie Restriction: Scientists Take Important Step Toward 'Fountain of Youth'
maybe the author of the paper will come back with further comments.
Watch this space. But remember this research is about cellular metabolism and that is a very complicated area and I can quite see why the researchers wanted to simplify wording in the press release.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 05:47

Plan: non processed food
Stats: 165/114/119 Female 5' 7.72 /1.72 m
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
I am newly diagnosed, not yet staged, and this could get bad. It is in lymph and I am expecting lots and lots of chemo.

I'm so sorry to read this and I wish you all the health, wisdom, strength and endurance in the world.