Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:07
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Lighten-
congrats on your success - and the new look for the 'girls!" Welcome to the site!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:46
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Just wanted to chime in that I am also dealing with this. I've lost some weight, and I look better, but I'm not 'there' yet. Still have another 30 or so pounds to go, since I have a pretty small-ish frame. And yes, there's flab and so on.

Meanwhile - I don't want to spend too much money on clothes right now because a lot of what I bought over the past couple of years no longer fits. But at the same time, I don't really *like* the stuff I've bought, and I'm not even all that thrilled about more recent purchases.

I'm still in that sort of utilitarian mode - very basic stuff, simple clothes - and usually mostly black or navy blue. Still sticking to certain 'rules' - like that I shouldn't be wearing a skirt because I don't think they're flattering on me.

I am starting to think that there needs to be a service available to women who are losing weight or who have lost weight - a makeover and shopping service of some kind. Time and time again, I hear my husband say, "That's too big". On the other hand, someone else (usually my Mom) will say, "That's too small".

Because of wearing baggy clothing when I was heavier - I feel 'funny' wearing something a bit closer-fitting - as if it's too small.

I've bought so much black and navy blue clothing, that I don't even know what colours look good on me. Still wearing the same black loafers. The same navy blue raincoat.

What I want are a pair of really neat shoes and maybe a ...oh I dunno, maybe a completely impractical white coat or something. I'd like to feel comfortable grabbing the purple blouse instead of always the black one.

I think this is going to take awhile. In the meantime, things like pedicures and new hair cuts help along the way. I recently bought some *eggplant* coloured eyeliner instead of the practical brown that I normally buy.

Signed,

Trying to break out of Dullsville.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 12:50

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Bra fitting: I got myself fitted at Cacique at one point, but what they suggested I go with felt like wearing complicated and very restricted body armor. I have a large bust, but this seemed pretty ridiculous. (I mean, it was this HUGE...thing.) I've been going with cotton sports bras lately, most bras don't fit me well no matter what, and by the end of the day the underwires and straps are all driving me nuts.

Any other suggestions for fittings besides Cacique (Lane Bryant)? I did an online measurment calculator, and the bra size it came up with was something that sounded really absurd, I think because I'm also big around the chest anyway. Maybe I just need a custom-fitted one.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 07:22

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%
Default Closet cleanout confessional

On Friday, I tackled my closet. It was a strange, painful, and joyous occasion. The end result was a huge box of clothing and shoes to be donated to the Salvation Army, a large pile to be thrown out, a single box of "almost fit" clothes that I don't hate, a small mending pile, and a freshly-organized closet where I can see everything and know that it sort of fits me.

I own fourteen polo shirts. Three in shades of aqua, four in shades of green, three white, one orange, one brown, and two white. And you know what? None of them fit me well. They seem to be three sizes: super huge, huge and short, or too form-fitting for me to wear unless under a jacket.

I own ten pairs of capris. Denim, black, and khaki. Most of them are on the borderline between fitting and being too big. I'm not a short woman, but I don't have particularly long legs and I know that capris make them look stumpy... and when I'm down to a reasonable size, I hope I never wear a pair of them again! I'm looking forward to getting into the more tailored, above-the-knee bermuda shorts in my "almost fit" box.

I own eight pairs of black pants. Dressy pants with a chiffon outside layer, stretchy pants, and one pair of Lee pants that seem to have been designed for an alien, because they fit me slightly wrong in every area.

Add those to the pile of t-shirts, jeans, assorted shirts, and the occasional skirt and dress and I've got a very full closet but very little I'm happy to wear. Having everything organized made it possible for me to pull together an outfit I liked for going out with my husband on Saturday, though: a beige jacket (size 26-28), brown sleeveless top (size 18-20), and black pants (size 24)... all of which fit me well. Is it any wonder that shopping is a nightmare?

I might try altering some of those polo shirts; taking them in with curves on the side seams and maybe adding darts in the front, leaving hip room but pulling in the waist and bust. I'm a pretty lousy seamstress, but I'm not willing to pay for a professional to fix shirts I don't like in the first place.

My next image-improving task will be a professional bra fitting. I can sympathize with gwynne2 above! If I just take my measurements and use a Cacique chart (the calculators for smaller women don't really apply to larger sizes), it says I should be in a 42DDD/F. Huh? I don't think so. I had been wearing a Cacique 44D with relative success for years. Luckily there are two bra specialty shops within miles of my house, the sort that carry pretty lingerie but also advertise that they fit sizes up to 56Q or something close. I'm nervous to go in, so I'm psyching myself up this week. I could really use one good daily bra and a sports bra that controls movement more than the ones I have.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 09:09
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Hi there LoKarb Kay,

You're really on a roll here now with the closet clearing out. I did that a few weeks ago, and you're right - strange, painful and yet, kind of exciting too.

I realized just how few clothes I have that actually fit, and was forced to do a bit of shopping. And like you, I can wear all kinds of sizes. It all depends on the brand, the fit and so on. I've got everything from a size 8 to a 16 that I can wear. Crazy isn't it? And it definitely makes shopping for clothing that much more challenging.

You were saying something about pants fitting you like you were an alien, and one of the things I've learned recently is that as we lose weight, we don't lose the weight uniformly - so we might suddenly me a lot smaller in one area and still sort of the same in another. This means that clothes that are boxy/one shape might not work anymore. Like you, I had a tendency (and still do, but I'm working on it) to buy very simple clothing, in basic shapes. But after losing some weight - that kind of thing doesn't work so well. A straight up and down polo shirt might be too big in the shoulders and yet fit around the middle sort of thing. At least, that's what's happening with me these days.

As one of my good friends on this forums tells me - if you don't like it, then don't keep it. I'm suggesting that even though some of those shirts you found fit - if you don't like them enough to alter them, then get rid of them.

It's not just, 'does this fit me?' - it's also, 'do I even like this anymore?' and if the answer's no, then out it goes.

Good luck with this sort of thing, it can be a bit of a challenge. Congrats on the newly cleared out closet
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 09:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

okay-
just talked to my very well endowed (and very happy about it ) friend- she just bought a bra for $10 called "bounce control" (in clearance area) on a site she loves for larger active wear and she says it is the only place she buys sports bras- Junonia. So,
here is the link. I have never bought anything from them so I could not comment. Nice website, though.
HTH-
E

http://www.junonia.com
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 08:10

Heh. Junonia.... Yeah, I love them -- I have on a pair of Junonia pants now. I was actually profiled on their site a few years ago when I was doing a lot of traveling by myself; one of those "active women who aren't letting their size slow them down" empowering sort of profiles.

My only problem with them is $$$. Their clothes are of excellent quality and I'd get my whole workout wardrobe there if I could, but our household budget is tight. (That's another reason why I don't have the luxury of throwing out clothes I don't like if they fit and are in good repair.) But, I do head to Junonia for a good piece every once in a while and now I'm inspired to go check out the "Juno's Closet" clearance section again. Thanks, enomarb!

Citruskiss, thanks for chiming in! I have the same problem figuring out if something fits "properly". I know I look better when a shirt actually skims my body, but I'm more comfortable in something baggier. And an impractical white coat sounds wonderful! I just mended the buttons on my platinum-colored short trench coat for spring and it makes me feel like a supermodel -- or at least a more stylish fat chick.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 08:20

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

Not much of a mall rat but sometimes, I amble over to the "old ladies section" - Sag Harbor, et al. I read the clothing content labels - rayon, polyester, rayon and polyester and lots of ugly patterns. The blue hairs that shop in the department have short, tighly-permed hair, and usually wearing a "grandma" sweatshirt and "comfortable" shoes. UGH! I don't want comfortable shoes other than my sneakers, EVER!! I bought two pairs of hip sandals and got a pedicure for my recent Florida trip. I felt like a svelte blonde goddess in them and I got the attention (even at my size). The next day, I wore my argyle and loafers - no goddess treatment. It was an experiment.

My weight has been up and down so much that I've stopped posting it. I'm struggling with some family issues right now and not watching what I'm eating. But let me tell you - those sandals make all the difference. I want to LOOK like, not just feel like, that goddess. I'm short so anything to add height makes me feel glorious anyway. Cheers!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 17:13

Question New slingshots and a big question

At least, that's what my kid would use my bras for, if I let him.

Get this: I've lost a bit over 25 lbs this year, and my bra size has gone from a 44D to a....
(drumroll please)
.... 42DDD.

Huh?? (or as my husband puts it: )

I had noticed that the bands of my bras were all too big; this weekend playing WiiSports, I ended up with my cups around my neck when the band slipped right over! But I was confused by the fact that simultaneously, I seemed to be overflowing the cups. So, I went to a bra specialty store to be measured and the verdict was 42DDD. I went to Avenue and had them measure me. 42DDD confirmed. I tried on a few bras. Yup. 42DD was too tight -- I needed that third D.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm attributing my "smaller torso but bigger boobs" shape to restricting carbs for one simple reason: I've been this weight before, as recently as 20 months ago after a low fat diet, and I was a 42D/44D then. It's not a temporary hormonal thing -- my cups overfloweth for weeks now and there's no way I could be pregnant. I've been doing some upper body exercises, but those would develop the muscle under the breast tissue and fat; I don't think that would enlarge my cup size. Would it?

Anyway, I picked up a couple of new bras. Nothing too fancy or expensive, because I'm sure I'll need new ones soon enough.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 15:20
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

okay- this is what they told me at Belks (it was the Wacoal person)- the different band sizes also have different cup sizes. A 34D is a smaller cup than a 38D; a 44D is a bigger D than a 42D. So who knows- you may be the same 'fill size' but a smaller band size. I went down in both, but only after lots of loss. I am still a DD, from a DDD, but I think I look much smaller.
HTH-
E
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 304/235/175 Female 5'4"
BF:O/M/G
Progress: 53%

Enomarb, I had a similar experience. It took A LOT of weight before I changed bra sizes. At my heaviest, I was a 42 or 44D. Now that I'm over 100 pounds lighter, I'm in a 40C comfortably. As I recall, in a galaxy far far away, I was once in a 36C (I must have been at or near my goal - and before kids to boot!), so it'll take another 50 pounds before I return there, if ever.

Just goes to show you that we all carry our weight differently and weight loss is definitely not uniform!

BTW, I think I look a lot smaller, too
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 14:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Needed to read this today

I have just climbed back on the wagon after a 5 day binge. I was so fed up with my slow loss. I am a teacher and my classroom gets very, very hot. I really thought that I would have lost more weight or size by now. So I binged in protest. I know, not smart.

Anyway, I was beating the crap out of myself. In Sept., I wore long sleeve blouses and sweated my a$$ off because I felt too self conscious to wear short sleeves.

Well, my arms are still heavy, but I went shopping w/my best friend today and found about 4 different tops that are flattering. I'm thrilled.

I really enjoyed the first post, because in my head, I'm so much cooler than what I look like!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 20:40

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 170/120/100 Female 5ft.0in.
BF:
Progress: 71%

Schlumpy dumpy? Yes, that's me. I could totally use a makeover.

I've been wearing the elastic waist bands twill pants for years now. No sense of style whatsoever. Shirts went from large to 1x. Stomach is huge.

My hair is also overgrown and also in need of attention. I have at least 2 inches of gray roots growing out. I had layers for a while and now want my bob back but it's looking horrible while it grows. I've got an appointment this coming week for a trim and a color to cover up the gray and then getting it highlighted. Can't wait.

And my shoes. Talk about unsexy! Dr Scholls flat, black, boring.

I could use a makeover from head to toe!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 05:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/179/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi there! I know the feeling!! I just lurking around your journal. I wanted to encourage you, I know what you are going throught. This whole weight thing can get pretty depressing. Just wanted to send you a and tell you not to give up!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 17:05

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 170/120/100 Female 5ft.0in.
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmarie2
Hi there! I know the feeling!! I just lurking around your journal. I wanted to encourage you, I know what you are going throught. This whole weight thing can get pretty depressing. Just wanted to send you a and tell you not to give up!

Thank you Sending some encouragement your way too. And that goes for all of you.

It is tough when you look one way on the outside but feel different on the inside.