Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 20:25

Plan: Nothing
Stats: 157/155.6/135 Female 5'5"
BF:28.6%/28.6%/25%
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
Does this mean you went on a PSMF "long-term" and you had dangerous side effects?

Can you give us some evidence that it's "quite dangerous if held long term?"

I was on a very modified South Beach Diet, so much that it was practically a PSMF. Basically I thought, hey, if I cut out the carbs too, I'll lose even faster, right? So I did, and I ate a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. I averaged about 900 cal a day and ended up losing quite a lot of weight (50 pounds, to be exact). However, my menstrual periods stopped and I ended up fighting depression and thyroid problems for about three years.

I know that any diet of 900 cal, no matter how the nutrients are partitioned, will result in lowered metabolism and messed up hormones. Eating only protein, minimal tag-along fats and vegetables will result in such a reduction. Such a diet followed for short-term won't be harmful, in fact, it could be very useful for people who need to drop weight quickly. However, following it for a longer period (upwards of a few months, or in my case, two years) will definitely result in problems (hormonal, metabolic, etc).

I should probably have rephrased "quite dangerous"; I was in a bit of a mystery-thriller mode when I wrote that :P People won't die, by any means, but they will have some imbalances.

I'm not really sure on how to use PubMed anymore, so I can't find the full study on the long-term effects, but the abstract states that:

"Short and long term effects of a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) diet on resting metabolic rate (RMR) and body composition were investigated. During a period of 6 months on diet, RMR decreased significantly, both in absolute value and after correction for fat-free mass (FFM). Short term evaluation with this type of diet showed no decrease in RMR. The results from this study indicate that the fall in RMR associated with a PSMF diet (weight loss) is not due to an acute adaptation to the lower energy intake. Changes in FFM are important in the change in RMR, but other factors have to be involved."

Also, most studies that I found on PubMed did not extend their experiments beyond a few weeks, and all patients/subjects were closely monitored.

If that's not enough evidence then I will be happy to search for more. I'm always interested in medical studies I'm also open to questions and criticism, but please be considerate
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 04:55
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I agree with the abstract you posted. However, there is a modified PSMF, Lyle McDonald's version, which can be done longer term. It does incorporate refeeds and free meals, though, so it's not as strict as a true PSMF. The refeeds (and full-on diet breaks, if done long term) will help moderate the metabolic "slow-down". You can read about (and buy) his program, "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" at www.bodyrecomposition.com
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 11:11

Plan: Nothing
Stats: 157/155.6/135 Female 5'5"
BF:28.6%/28.6%/25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
However, there is a modified PSMF, Lyle McDonald's version, which can be done longer term. It does incorporate refeeds and free meals, though, so it's not as strict as a true PSMF.

You're right, Lyle's version is safer and probably more effective than a true PSMF. The refeeds and free meals are where I went wrong when I unintentionally did my PSMF stint - I didn't have any, and I'm sure most Kimkins followers won't, either, as a result of the "I have to follow this diet perfectly or else I fail" mentality.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

To me you stave on that diet and it just wasnt me. I love to eat

#20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 08:04

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

I was led to believe that low fat+low carb = high protein = very bad for you as in a condition called 'rabbit' or 'protein' starvation. Am I wrong in still believing this?
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 13:39

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheneas
I was led to believe that low fat+low carb = high protein = very bad for you as in a condition called 'rabbit' or 'protein' starvation. Am I wrong in still believing this?

As long as the majority of your cals are from protein, your muscle stores are spared, and your body goes straight for the fat stores for fuel. That's why people CAN eat so little and lose so much while not being hungry: they get all the calories they need from the stored body fat. There's nothing bad for you about it. You absolutely can lose more than 2 lbs of fat a week while still GAINING muscle mass, if the body is getting enough protein and the carbs are low enough.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 13:48

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I have some questions regarding Lyle McDonald's version 2.0 or his latest book rapid lost something. From what ive been reading on the net about him, (i read everything on all diets or way of eating cause i find it interesting and like that you can determine what to keep and what to take out in a diet that is right for you..but thats me ) like i was saying from what ive read on the net seems you have to exercise which im for of course but more body building? did i get this right? do that mean in his book its protein shakes and vitamins like a bodybuilder takes?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 17:17

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

Y'all do realize that she is being investigated for fraud don't you? Evidently not by your posts.

Here's the link for y'all to read

http://winningweight.blogspot.com/2...fect-storm.html

GAP
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 17:36

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka
That's why people CAN eat so little and lose so much while not being hungry: they get all the calories they need from the stored body fat. There's nothing bad for you about it.

Show me where this has been proven scientifically, published in a peer reviewed journal, ever. If you can, I will happily apologize for this post.

This logic of all the calories you need are under your skin, regardless of what your caloric intake may be, is incorrect on so many physiological levels. Why it persists and the cycle of misinformation repeats itself over and over and over ad naseum is beyond me.

Never mind the fact that the appetite suppression stems from the low carbohydrate induced ketonic state, not because you're meeting your caloric needs through fat metabolism.

JJOAPS....

Last edited by fetch : Sat, Sep-22-07 at 17:48.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 08:23

BF:
Progress:

teach me to ask questions...lol

to know if whatever the issue is to find out if its true or not you can go to this site and i did a search on kimkins diet and there was nothing..

http://www.truthorfiction.com/
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 08:48

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

Yes, Kimkins has turned out badly. She is a liar and a phony- that's been proven with photos and more. She never actually did the diet she is selling. But what I wonder about is this- before it ever became a huge scam/scandal, she was posting on free sites that the idea of Kimkins was to do it for 3-5 days and it acts as a springboard for other low-carb diets. That still makes sense to me. Why not eat a vlcd for 3 days, then do Atkins induction, or some other plan of your own choosing? It's only when you stay on Kimkins for a long period of time that it gets bad, and of course you would expect it to go bad! People are reporting hair loss, nausea, etc. That sucks. I could personally never stay on it for long. Before the scandal became a scandal, I did Kimkins for about 5 days, and lost over 5 pounds. Then I stopped doing it, because it's impossible for me to restrict my intake that much. Atkins has much more appealing choices and makes nutritional sense.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:36

BF:
Progress:

hmmm interesting...
so what about Lyle Mcdonald? Heard his version PSMF is safer and better. From what Ive read so far, even KimKins had some success with some people..but thats any diet you try will start off good then everyone will end up stopping or modified their diets...its up to you if you really want to change the way you eat...everyone should learn to eat real food and nothing out of boxes or bottles that has funny colours or aspertame and all that jazz...mother nature gave us all we need...just that the human isnt using it properly...
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 05:00
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny
hmmm interesting...
so what about Lyle Mcdonald? Heard his version PSMF is safer and better.
It is. He has designed it to be as healthy as possible and to retain as much muscle mass as possible. The diet does this by incorporating refeeds (depending on your bodyfat amount) and free meals. You are given a certain amount of protein to meet daily, and encouraged to eat unlimited green fibrous veggies, as well as take a fish oil supplement (to get your essential fatty acids).

You can read more about it at his site and forum (but beware, the forum can be quite, err...."salty" language-wise, ) www.bodyrecomposition.com
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:

Its a starvation diet schemed up by an obese woman who knows jack squat about nutrition. Stay away if you know whats good for your health
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: Now on Fatkins 23/1
Stats: 139/136/115 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashyc
Yes, Kimkins has turned out badly. She is a liar and a phony- that's been proven with photos and more. She never actually did the diet she is selling.

Well knock me over with a feather.....
I tried months ago to warn so many people on so many boards......

Glad that people finally woke up....
Feel so bad for Christin though!

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.c...ssionately.html
(and yes i know this link mustve been posted before, on tight deadline and cant find it in search)_