Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 09:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Its composition was: cornstarch 31.8%, dextrinized cornstarch 10.56%, sucrose 8%, soy protein 26.67%, soybean oil 9.33%, alphacel 6.91%, mineral mix 4.67%, vitamin mix 1.33%, L-cystine 0.4%, choline bitartrate 0.33%, and tert-butylhydroquinone 0.0019%
This is not low carbs by anyones definition. The list of ingredients is horrible for anyone (rat or human).

To do any meaningful tests on rat nutrition, they need to use foods that rats in the wild eat. Cornstarch is not a food.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/275/190 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Quote:
I'll take my chances with Julia.

Lots of people reach her age, I don't understand your point...
90 is well within the "natural" lifespan of humans, it always has been. While I firmly believe diet is intimately entwined with health and longevity, I am unconvinced that research on rat models that support CR are compelling enough for me to make what to me seem to be significant sacrifices over the rest of my life in the hope that it might ad a few decades to my life. Conclusive proof that this theory is extensible to human lifespan will not exist for at least another twenty, perhaps fifty, years. I am not willing to participate in that particular experiment. There is clear and convincing evidence that Low Carb improves health and vitality in humans, NOW, immediately, in virtually 100% of the humans practicing it. Further, in my case it involves no sacrifice what-so-ever. I firmily believe in freedom of speech and and choice, therefore I wish you well in your quest. We should just agree to disagree on the CR subject. That does not mean it is inappropriate to express that disagreement in the form of sceptisism when you choose to make assertions that rats, confined to cages and forced to subsist on a variety of artificial man made diets exhibit different lifespans. I will grant you that such experiments are repeatable and believable. Still, I remain unconvinced that they are extensible to free living organisims, particularly humans.

Best wishes with you experiment.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 10:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Whoa, you're not going to convert the people here. The trade off between making such a radical change in eating and potential health benefits is one that people don't undertake lightly. Trust me, I see people who have life threatening consequences to eating wheat unable to make those changes. Look at all the people suffering from diabetes and metabolic issues that KNOW they should eat differently but don't.

Low carb can be a good diet. It might not lead to people living to 120 years as frequently as your diet, but it certainly has a lot of positives.

I'm always interested in what is going on in CRON, so if you'd like to pop into the IF thread and update us from time to time, especially as it relates to IF, you'll probably have a lot of interested people.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 11:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That's too bad - I always found the studies and links of interest.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 11:24

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Same here lizzy. I would suggest folks not get too worried about the links, if you don't want to CR you don't have too, but telling him not to post links and attacking him for posting them seems silly. This is the warzone though, so... *shrug*
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 11:30

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMead
90 is well within the "natural" lifespan of humans, it always has been. While I firmly believe diet is intimately entwined with health and longevity,

i can give you a perfect example of how diet ties into health and longevity... my grandmother died the day after her 92nd birthday. impressive, but hardly news-worthy until you take into account the fact that she had been insulin-dependent diabetic for over half her life, still had all her limbs in tact, could still walk, had survived 3 heart attacks in one day 20 years earlier, and the only facility she ever lost was her sight... that was from the diabetes, and there was nothing they could do about that.

yes she took insulin injections every day of her life, but she also regulated her diet with an iron fist. go figure.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMead
I'll take my chances with Julia. You can have your modified rat chow, I'll take a Double-Double Protein style.

I recall one of her TV shows with Jacques Pippen (Cooking with Julia), when she added a bunch of butter to the skillet and said something like this "they say butter is not good for you but I don't pay much attention...", LOL. She happened to live to be what, 91... and was in a great shape mentally and physically to the end. Enough said.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:

If theres no point in worrying, why are you on a diet?

May be because this diet allows us enjoy wonderfull natural full flavor gourmet food , while losing weight and improving out health. No starvation required.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 12:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Whoa, hopefully you're still out there.

How're the bones holding up on CRON folks?

Weight loss through calorie restriction, but not exercise, may lead to bone loss

Are they doing any bone density checking on CRONies?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
It makes more sense for Rachel1 to be here and feeling there is no point in worrying, then for you to be here trying to antagnonize people who believe differently than you do. At least when we die, we won't die a virgin.......... LOL

'Die a virgin' is not of any consequence for most CRONbies as a common effect of the diet is sexual disfunction, especially in men. Curiously, many of the effects of this 'way of eating' including low body temperature, sexual disfunction, low energy requiring restriction of activities are viewed in their community as not only 'normal' but 'desirable' (of course, not desirable in THAT way... )
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 13:30

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Hi Mutant,

Thanks for explaining why Whoa182 is still a virgin. That explains it very well....
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerow
Same here lizzy. I would suggest folks not get too worried about the links, if you don't want to CR you don't have too, but telling him not to post links and attacking him for posting them seems silly. This is the warzone though, so... *shrug*

I don't think anyone is 'too worried' about the posts/links (I include myself in this group), but frustration at lack of any discussion from the CRONbie supporters. I think taking offense at valid criticisms of the posts/links and not responding to the criticisms is silly. But it is totally in character for the evangelical 'True Believer' who comes to a discussion board not to discuss but to proseltize. None of this is directed to our local CRONbie as I've been dismissed some weeks ago as not knowing anything about anything because of my weight and never garner a response anymore, however facile.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:

Quote:
Anything that doesn't agree with what you guys say is 'junk science'...

It's so annoying that most of you have to keep making things personal all the time, its pathetic! and sad.

Fine I won't post anything. bye.

Oh, one can only hope he means it.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Whoa, hopefully you're still out there.

How're the bones holding up on CRON folks?

Weight loss through calorie restriction, but not exercise, may lead to bone loss

Are they doing any bone density checking on CRONies?

Yes, bone density is less but bone quality as with CR'd mice, rats and rhesus monkeys may be preserved and there will be less age-related decline. As with muscle mass. Thats what we hope translates into humans anyway... The only evidence in humans that this will be so is the okinawans who maintani low bmi's of 20 and have 40% fewer hip fractures than Americans who have a higher bmi of around 25. Other than that many of us are taking whatever precautions we can by doing Yoga, Resistance exercising and supplementing well.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
Originally Posted by serea
Oh, one can only hope he means it.

Sorry no, I changed my mind. Even though I do post it in the warzone, I would appreciate it if we could leave out all personal attacks please.