Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/185/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm at 333, and even if I had toast with breakfast, a sandwich and a banana at lunch, a big serving of spaghetti at dinner, and a cup of blueberries for dessert, I'd be around 200. Guess I'd better eat a couple of candy bars and a bowl of ice cream to stay healthy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 07:07

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaiden
Yeah, I keep hearing that the brain needs 100 grams minimum to function properly. So...all low carbers are retarded? Oh science...or rather lack thereof.

That statistic cracks me up! When I ate lots of carbs, I had 'brain fog' and was definitely sluggish. I credit my low-carb diet and supplement regimen to helping that fog lift. I'm a hell of a lot sharper than I was when I was eating a carb-laden diet.

Kat
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 07:15
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Well carbs from like sweetpotatoes, beans, oats seem to give me a great boost, but I always have them with plenty of fat and protein. I've always wondered just how much of a glucose spike I would get after eating one of my meals, I always eat sweet potatoes for example.. Meals typically can contain upto 40-50% of carbs with min of 30% fat.

Glucose monitors all the same? will a cheap one do?

It would be good to see what things I can change so that my postprandial glucose spike is not big. All I know at the moment is my fasting glucose level is at 81mg/dl

EDIT:

One thing I did learn though is not to eat a high carb meal without protein! that makes me feel a bit weird sometimes.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Sat, Sep-02-06 at 07:24.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 10:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Not according to my glucose meter, I check aftwer every meal. I can certaily tell when there is a processed sugar added, and when I have real fruit and even small sweet potatoe. It takes time to break complex carbs into the simple sugars and fiber content makes a difference too. Of course, if you don't combine concetrated few concetrated carb sources in one meal, the total # of carbs per meal matters too. Even the simple sugar molecules look alike, the whole unprocessed carbs are digected slowly, compare to fruit juice, soda, and even full fat icecream.

According to my glucose meter, I check 1 hour and 2 hours after every meal, I can not tell the difference between carbs. Anything over about 15 grams of carb per meal, whether that be a potato, a piece of dense, whole-grain bread, or a donut, shoots my blood sugars up into the stratosphere.

Whole, unprocessed carbs vs. fruit juice, soda, and even full fat ice cream....makes only one different in my BG readings. With the fruit juice, donuts, etc. my highest reading will be at the 1 hour. The 2 hour reading will still be quite high but have come down slightly. With whole, unprocessed carbs, my 1 hour reading is high but the 2 hour reading is even higher.

So, yeah, while it might process a bit slower, it will still give me unacceptable spikes in my blood sugars. It just takes a tad longer for it to happen.

ETA: This is why most of my carbs come from vegetables with only a small amount of carbs from cheeses. Even too many vegetables in one sitting, like a huge salad, will give me unacceptable blood sugar spikes.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 14:03
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Glucose monitors all the same? will a cheap one do?

I don't think what brand matters all that much. I can do you one better than cheap - you can usually get the glucose meter itself for free (look for coupons). In my case, the pharmacist had a coupon in a stack of flyers and gave one to me.

It's the test strips and lancets that aren't cheap, sad to say. And get the tiniest finest lancets you can find, because they hurt less (as long as you're getting a drop of blood).
Also important: wash your hands before testing, and dry them well.

Quote:
It would be good to see what things I can change so that my postprandial glucose spike is not big. All I know at the moment is my fasting glucose level is at 81mg/dl

Wow! Nice 'n' low!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycampe

ETA: This is why most of my carbs come from vegetables with only a small amount of carbs from cheeses. Even too many vegetables in one sitting, like a huge salad, will give me unacceptable blood sugar spikes.

I don't count carbs in my lettuce, I eat huge salas at least once a day with lettuce, cukes, tomatoes,bell pepers, etc. and my BG spike no more than 10-20 points. I can't imagne that lettuce can give any diabetic a huge spike in a glucose. When 10 caps contain 13 g carbs minus 10 g of fiber! A cup of cukes - 3 g carbs. a cup of cherry tomatoe has 7 g carbs, and almost 2 g of fiber. All together it will make 23-12 = 11 g total carbs. But I doubt you can eat this slad in one sitting , so regular salad averaging about 6 g of carbs. I can't imagine getting BGs spike from 6 g of carbs. Cheese has negligible amount of carbs too, but some ppl even count carbs in coffee.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 16:44
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I read ACV drink [natural cider vinegar] before meals will prevent BG spikes.

I like BIG salads also, that may be why I seem to get hungry 2 hrs after a meal when I include one. When I am fasting my BG goes up >100, after I eat it goes down <100.

I got my inControl meter for only $10, the cheap ones need a bigger drop of blood so I don't test very often; the strips are $20 for 50. The case is of poor design. http://www.thesmartchoice.com/products-2.asp

Sweet potatoes are a near perfect food, I had them on SBD without problems and I may try them again after goal I don't eat the white ones.

Full fat ice cream is actualy lower GI than skim milk. So combining carbs with fat and protien is a bit safer IMHO.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Sep-02-06 at 17:08. Reason: bad link
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 18:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I can't imagne that lettuce can give any diabetic a huge spike in a glucose.

Dr. Bernstein relates a story in his book (page 95 of the most recent edition if anyone cares to look it up) of a patient of his that was getting large spikes in blood sugar after her afternoon swimming workout. Her blood sugars were going from 90 pre-workout to 300+ post workout. Upon investigating, he discovered that she was in the habit of eating an entire head of lettuce prior to her workout (now that's a huge salad!). He credited the dramatic rise in blood sugar to something he terms the 'Chinese restaurant effect' in which a large but very low carb meal can cause a rise in blood sugar that cannot be accounted for by the number of carbs consumed (roughly 10 for an entire head of iceburg lettuce).
The explanation of this effect is that the upper small intestine secretes hormones when it is stretched as it would be in a large meal. The larger the meal, the greater the stretching and also the greater the amount of hormones released. These hormones will in turn trigger the release of insulin and also glucagon. In a diabetic, the insulin release would be small or even none at all but the glucagon would cause gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis leading to....a large rise in blood sugars from a relatively low carb meal.

The moral of the story? If you're diabetic, stuffing yourself with even very low carb foods can cause an undesireable spike in blood sugars, so don't stuff yourself.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 09:03

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I can't imagne that lettuce can give any diabetic a huge spike in a glucose.

I said salads....not simply lettuce. Add some dressing, even if it's simply low-carb mayonnaise, a few slices of cheese, etc. and I get a spike. I have tried eating things like Chef's Salads, Cobb Salads, etc. when I've gone into restaurants. I have even brought my own low-carb dressings because I realize that restaurant dressings often have sugar in them. And if I eat a large amount of salad, enough to take me from hungry-to-satisfied, even with low-carb dressing on it, I can spike 50-80 points. Even more if I've been relatively inactive that day. Just because it hasn't happened to you, don't assume that it can't happen to others.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 10:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Dr. Bernstein relates a story in his book (page 95 of the most recent edition if anyone cares to look it up) of a patient of his that was getting large spikes in blood sugar after her afternoon swimming workout. Her blood sugars were going from 90 pre-workout to 300+ post workout. Upon investigating, he discovered that she was in the habit of eating an entire head of lettuce prior to her workout (now that's a huge salad!). He credited the dramatic rise in blood sugar to something he terms the 'Chinese restaurant effect' in which a large but very low carb meal can cause a rise in blood sugar that cannot be accounted for by the number of carbs consumed (roughly 10 for an entire head of iceburg lettuce).

I have read the book and this story too, and with all my respect to Dr.B, the explanation is sounds anecdotal. First, swimming burns sugar mostly, this is a near perfect workout for diabetics. So, if this women was T1 or T2 who does not make much insulin already, the spike in BGs could be more due to the liver sugar dump because of low insulin and not enough carbs eaten prior to workout, not the lettuce itself . If I skip a meal or eat very little carbs and get a long and streneous workout, my BGs can jump up to 180, and swimming session is streneous enough!
"Chinese restaurant effect" in my book, results in Bgs spike but only y due to a large amount of hidden sugar in chinese food. Chinese food is loaded with sugar, and gives me a decent BGs spike too, unless I eat only steamed fish and vegetables.

Quote:
The explanation of this effect is that the upper small intestine secretes hormones when it is stretched as it would be in a large meal. The larger the meal, the greater the stretching and also the greater the amount of hormones released. These hormones will in turn trigger the release of insulin and also glucagon. In a diabetic, the insulin release would be small or even none at all but the glucagon would cause gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis leading to....a large rise in blood sugars from a relatively low carb meal.

This has nothing to do with lettice itself, all diabetics both T1 and T2 advised to either inject insulin or have a carby snack before workout to get insulin going so to speak (in those who still have a good phase 2 insulin response), which inhibits gluconeogenesis, and post-workout BGs spike. BGs spike to 300 is a sign that she was most likely T1, and did not inject enough insulin to avoid hypos on 6-12-12 plan, or T2 with a poor control.
I wonder if anyone else had BGs of 300 from eating a whole head of lettuce, which is basically freebee, and nothing else.
I am going to try it, eat enitre head of lettice alone, and check my Bgs after. See, if I can reproduce the results.

Here is some info from Medscape on Incretins, I suppose is what you refer to as intestinal hormones.
The enitre acrticle can be read at
http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/3075_pnt

Quote:
Incretin Hormones in Diabetes and Metabolism
Introduction

The role of the gastrointestinal tract in influencing insulin secretion and glucose homeostasis has been recognized since the beginning of the 20th century.[1] Zunz and La Barre first proposed the term "incretin" in reference to an insulin-stimulatory hypoglycemic factor found in the extract of duodenum.[2] Incretin hormones have since been defined as hormones produced by the gastrointestinal tract in response to nutrient entry, which then stimulate insulin secretion. The enteroinsular axis refers to the regulation of pancreatic islet hormone secretion by such incretin hormone signals from the gastrointestinal tract.[3]

This review will focus on the current understanding of the physiologic basis of the incretin hormones and the incretin effect. Also, since it is known that patients with type 2 diabetes exhibit a significant reduction in the magnitude of meal-stimulated insulin release -- or a reduced incretin effect[4] -- this review also will focus on the therapeutic potential of incretins in type 2 diabetes.

The Incretin Effect

The concept of the incretin effect developed from the observation by Elrick and colleagues and McIntyre and colleagues that insulin responses to oral glucose exceeded those measured after intravenous administration of equivalent amounts of glucose.[5,6] They concluded that gut-derived factors, or incretins, influenced postprandial insulin release. Nutrient entry into the stomach and proximal gastrointestinal tract causes release of incretin hormones, which then stimulate insulin secretion.[7] This insulinotropism, or ability to stimulate insulin secretion, can be quantified by comparing insulin or C-peptide responses to oral vs intravenous glucose loads. In this way, it has been shown that the incretin effect is responsible for about 50% to 70% of the insulin response to oral glucose in healthy individuals.[8,9]

Although many postprandial hormones have incretin-like activity, the 2 predominant incretin hormones are glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide, also known as gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP), and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). The biological importance of these peptides is reviewed below.

The Incretin Hormones: GIP and GLP-1

Introduction

GIP and GLP-1 both belong to the glucagon peptide superfamily and thus share amino acid sequence homology. GIP and GLP-1 are secreted by specialized cells in the gastrointestinal tract and have receptors located on islet cells as well as other tissues. As incretins, both are secreted from the intestine in response to ingestion of nutrients, which results in enhanced insulin secretion. The insulinotropic effect of GIP and GLP-1 is dependent on elevations in ambient glucose. Both are rapidly inactivated by the ubiquitous enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP-IV). The characteristics of GIP and GLP-1 are summarized in the Table.

Table. Characteristics of GIP and GLP-1

GIPGLP-1Peptide42 amino acid30/31 amino acidSecreted byK cells, primarily in duodenum and proximal jejunumL cells, primarily in ileum and colonStimulated byOral ingestion of nutrientsOral ingestion of nutrientsMetabolized byDPP-IVDPP-IVEffects on insulin secretionStimulatesStimulatesEffects on gastric emptyingAccelerates?SlowsEffects on beta-cell proliferationStimulates*Stimulates*Effects on glucagon secretionNone significantSuppressesEffects on food intakeNone significantReducesEffects on insulin sensitivity?Improves?Secretion in type 2 diabetesPreservedImpairedInsulinotropic response to exogenous administration in type 2 diabetesImpairedPreserved
*In cell-line studies

Many folks have genetic defect resulting in lack of incretins, and this alone put them in diabetic cathegory. Incretins slows rate of glucose entering blood stream, inhibits gluconeogenesis, and stimulates insulin release.

Quote:
The moral of the story? If you're diabetic, stuffing yourself with even very low carb foods can cause an undesireable spike in blood sugars, so don't stuff yourself.

Can't agree more with it more, and this is a good idea for everyone, not diabetics only
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 12:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokat
That statistic cracks me up! When I ate lots of carbs, I had 'brain fog' and was definitely sluggish. I credit my low-carb diet and supplement regimen to helping that fog lift. I'm a hell of a lot sharper than I was when I was eating a carb-laden diet.Kat
The brain may need 100g/day of glucose to function, but your body can easily make the glucose you need by breaking down fat &/or protein. You don't have to EAT it!

My brain is also fogless & sharper on LC.

The same people who believe a Twinkie will make their brain function better are the ones who believe the egg-yolks you eat will plaster themselves on the walls of your arteries. In fact, only 25% of the cholesterol you eat ends up in your arteries; 75% is made by your body (often to protect the walls from the inflammation caused by the huge amounts of sugar consumed in the "typical American diet").
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 12:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I wonder if anyone else had BGs of 300 from eating a whole head of lettuce

Did you read Funkycampe's post above? Seems Dr. Bernstein's patient isn't the only one who experiences this phenomenon. I've seen enough 'anecdotal' reports of similar experiences to discount that it happens or poo-pooh its existence. In Dr. Bernstein's definition, the Chinese restaurant effect has nothing to do with hidden sugars but with the amount of protein and slow-acting carbs contained in them along with a higher amount of fiber. According to Dr. B, it wouldn't matter if it had been sawdust...the same effect would occur.
I'll be interested to hear the results of your experiment.

BTW...Dr. B is type 1 and does not carb load before his workouts which, by his account, are fairly strenuous.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Sep-03-06 at 12:44.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 20:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Did you read Funkycampe's post above? Seems Dr. Bernstein's patient isn't the only one who experiences this phenomenon. I've seen enough 'anecdotal' reports of similar experiences to discount that it happens or poo-pooh its existence.

I wonder if her Bgs will shoot to 300g if she just ate a head of lettuce and did not go swimming.
Quote:
In Dr. Bernstein's definition, the Chinese restaurant effect has nothing to do with hidden sugars but with the amount of protein and slow-acting carbs contained in them along with a higher amount of fiber. According to Dr. B, it wouldn't matter if it had been sawdust...the same effect would occur.

I know what he meant by it, but what I am sure is due to hidden cabrs in all chinese food, even soup has added sugar, not to mention all the sauces. Portions of protein in chinese food are rather small, and if you stick to steam green veggies, it will be mostly indigestibe fiber. I wonder who can actually eat so much broccoli to get Bgs to shoot to 300, I would be bloated after 2-3 cups.
As for sawdust, I wonder if Dr/B's himself or any of his patients tried to experiement with, and how much they actually ingested
Quote:
I'll be interested to hear the results of your experiment.

I will not commit to sawdust, but can commit to head of lettuce (can it be romain lettuce instead, I don't eat iceberg), and will let you know. I actually can tell you right now, that I eat huge salad everyday: with 4-5 cups of lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, some onions, bell pepper: red and yellow ( no-no per Dr.B.) about a cup together, olives, and always some protein with it: chicken breast and cheese, and my BGs always <100 after this meal. I even eat a small fruit for desert, this is why it is hard to believe that T2 with good control can get such a high number after a few grams of carbs from lettuce. BTW, iceberg lettuce is rather small head, and it won't stretch intestines much after partically being digested.

Quote:
BTW...Dr. B is type 1 and does not carb load before his workouts which, by his account, are fairly strenuous.

No, he does not carb load, he does not need to, HE SIMPLY iNJECTS INSULIN BEFORE THE WORKOUT, and he states it in his book.
This is a common practice for T1 to inject before working out to cover for "liver dump" while T2 with farely good control can just have a snack. I consider having a farely good control, and just have to eat something if I workout 1st thing in the morning, once I have any food to get the insulin going after a night fast, I normally have no problems with the spike. It does not matter is the glucose is ingested orally or the liver produces it via gluconeogenesis, the end results - BGs spike due to lack of or ineffective insulin.
There is no need to carb load for non-diabetics, however, they will experince low Bgs after workout instead.
Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by dina1957 : Sun, Sep-03-06 at 21:00.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 20:48
Registered Member

Quote:
The same people who believe a Twinkie will make their brain function better are the ones who believe the egg-yolks you eat will plaster themselves on the walls of your arteries. In fact, only 25% of the cholesterol you eat ends up in your arteries; 75% is made by your body (often to protect the walls from the inflammation caused by the huge amounts of sugar consumed in the "typical American diet")

I can't imagine that anyone justifies for eating Twinkie to fuel brain, but I definetely getting foggy after cutting carbs to 20-30g.
As for cholesterol, body does have to make it from something, and this something - is saturated fat. Onyl TRG are made from excessive glucose, LDL and HDL need saturated fat as a raw material. No one says cholesterole from food matters, it is the dietary saturated fat, and fat in general, that is needed for cholesterol. Try a totally vegan diet, and see your cholesterol plammeting (both HDL and LDL) and if you avoid sugars and simple carbs, TRG will go down too.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 20:58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycampe
I said salads....not simply lettuce. Add some dressing, even if it's simply low-carb mayonnaise, a few slices of cheese, etc. and I get a spike. I have tried eating things like Chef's Salads, Cobb Salads, etc. when I've gone into restaurants. I have even brought my own low-carb dressings because I realize that restaurant dressings often have sugar in them. And if I eat a large amount of salad, enough to take me from hungry-to-satisfied, even with low-carb dressing on it, I can spike 50-80 points. Even more if I've been relatively inactive that day. Just because it hasn't happened to you, don't assume that it can't happen to others.

So it is not just a lettuce, then. I am not sure if you T1 or T2 with poor control. If you catch the spike after 30 minutes, it's not a biggy, but if you Bgs still 80 points higher after 2 hours, it is a problem. Then I can't imagine what you can eat to stay in control, and I don't know if you just control by the diet or inject insulin. Could be that you do not produce much insulin on your own, so as that women was most likely T1 and did not think a freebee will cause huge BGs spike.
I do not assume, I communicate to other T2 with good control, and barely know anyone who would get 80 points spike from a very low carb salad.