Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 10:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 166/128/126 Female 66 inches
BF:30%/22/20%
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Also, I use Splenda tabs to save on the carbs in the granular stuff - the conversion I use is as follows:
1 cup Splenda = 48 tabs
1/2 cup = 24 tabs
1 Tablespoon = 3 tabs
As far as I can determine, it takes about 11 tabs for 1 carb, as opposed to 2 teaspoons of Splenda for the same one carb - that represents quite a saving.
Babs

Hi Babs

I had an email back from Splenda today followed by a phone call.

According to them, there is no difference between granular Splenda and tablet form. One cup of Splenda = 16 tablespoons = 48 teaspoons = 48 tablets.

There are exactly the same number of carbs in 48 tablets as in 1 cup of Splenda, ie 24, although the calories are quite different.

I think they are allowed to put 'trace' when the carbs are below 1g.

However, I see that per 100 grams they state 97.7 carbs but only 76.2 for tablets so it rather depends on the weight of a tablet.

I rang back and asked them to investigate further. I feel bascially that the matodextrin which makes up most of the other 99% of Splenda and increases the calories tenfold, must also increase the carbs. I think maltodextrin is about 90g carbs per 100g which explains why Splenda is nearly 100% carbs.

I just stopped in the middle of writing this and weighed 17 tablets to equal 1 gram. If my calcs are right then 48 tablets = 2 grams of carbs whereas 1 cup = 24 grams.

I think she's wrong - there is a big difference becuase of the matodextrin.

From now on I will be using the tablets.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 19:47

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Gay,
The sweetening power of the tablets is the same as the granular, but quite definitely there is a difference in carbs. One only has to look at the 'product' of, for example, 6 teaspoons of Splenda granular and 6 tablets (crushed) to realise that there is more of 'something' in the granular - and that something is maltodextrin, or pure carb.
I haven't my figures to hand now, but I worked out the weight to carb ratio from the pack info) about a year ago and came up with approximately 11 tablets to a carb (but I could be slightly out). I use the tablets all the time for a considerable saving - mixed with stevia, it is very effective.
Babs
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 04:48

Morning Babs

Have you tried Hermesetas? They are saccharin based and some people suggest they are safer than Splenda. http://www.splendaexposed.com/

I'm not sure I'm going to take much notice but I did think about using half Splenda tablets and half Hermeseta tablets, perhaps a bit less than the recipe suggests.

What do you think?

ps Official word from Splenda, 100g (72 carbs) = 1818 tablets <grin> = 1.9carbs for 48 tablets cup equivalent.

Last edited by GayClarke : Wed, Aug-24-05 at 07:35.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 11:46

Hi Gay,
Saccharin is fine for sweetening drinks but you can't cook/bake with it as it isn't heat-stable. For every tale about aspartame, you'll also get one about saccharin, so I guess it's a case of 'choose your poison'!
Babs
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 11:48

Hi Babs

They say Splenda tablets aren't heat-stable either but I presume they are if you are using them without problems?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:06

Hi Gay,
Checked my original calculations again - and yes, 1 Splenda tablet = 0.055 carbs. Ergo, 10 tabs is 0.55 carbs and there are approximately 18 tablets to 1 carb.
That is great carb value when you take account of the 24 carbs in a cup of the granular as opposed to 1.9 for 48 tabs. I know that I never bother computing the carbs for the tabs since I checked the figures and found them to be insignificent.
Babs
PS - you can sometimes find liquid Hermesetas and it is based on a mix of cyclamic acid and saccharin that IS heat stable so you could try that. I think it's reasonable mixed with Splenda and/or Stevia, but on its own it's a little bitter IMO. Alternatively, you have the sugar alcohols (sorbitol eg), but you know the effect they have :O
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:11

I never read anything to indicate that Splenda tabs weren't heat stable - and I definitely have no problems with them, nor does anyone I know on the various boards I subscribe to.
Heat stability is only a problem for saccharin, not sucralose (the Splenda ingredient).
Babs