Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Wanted to bump this thread to find out what is a really good coconut oil to order online, and at the best prices.

Also... what is the best place to get really good, natural coconut milk?

Does anyone have any places they would recommend?

And, I am wondering how much coconut milk one would need to consume to equal the same benefits as eating say 1 tbsp of coconut oil? Or are these two things so different that one cannot compare them?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 14:43

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Wanted to bump this thread to find out what is a really good coconut oil to order online, and at the best prices.

When I got some online awhile ago I used Tropical Traditions. Supposedly all the proceeds go to natives who are doing the work in the traditional fashion as well, which is nice. I got the virgin coconut oil and it smelled very strongly of coconut...the flavor was not always appropiate for some dishes.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 14:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
When I got some online awhile ago I used Tropical Traditions. Supposedly all the proceeds go to natives who are doing the work in the traditional fashion as well, which is nice. I got the virgin coconut oil and it smelled very strongly of coconut...the flavor was not always appropiate for some dishes.
I LOVE coconut milk. Did this oil taste like coconut milk? Was it easy to eat some? Do you use it in smoothies and such?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: 19/5 IF LC/LC
Stats: 180/145/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I also use Tropical Traditions, but as Kallyn said, it can add an inappropriate taste to some dishes. However, I do add a couple of teaspoons or so to my breakfast whey protein shake (and then lick the spoon). It doesn't dissolve in the shake, just mixes up in little clumps that melt on the tongue with a nice coconut flavor. It's expensive, but lasts me a long time. I've also tried the coconut cream concentrate which is like candy. I order mine through mercola.com along with the whey healthier protein mix (strawberry's my favorite).

In my morning shake, I also blend in strawberries, some Earth's Promise green food, and "lots" of cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Might not be exactly paleo, but sure makes a tasty, convenient, nutritional, and filling breakfast to drink on the way to work.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have gotten from Tropical Traditions, but Wilderness Family Naturals is a bit less expensive.

I always get the expeller-pressed. It has very little taste and goes with everything.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 18:09

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I use the virgin Tropical Traditions brand in my tea, and the expeller-pressed for most everything else. At first I used the virgin for everything, but just couldn't get accustomed to the flavor combined with eggs. I'm thinking the TT expeller-pressed has got to be just as healthy as the virgin, so I don't obsess anymore about it. I ended up buying a 5-gallon pail of of the expeller-pressed, so I'll be in good shape for a LONG time!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 18:23

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Tropical Traditions!

I got a gallon of expeller and a gallon of virgin. I use the virgin more but I love coconut in/on everything.

Their coconut oil concentrate can be used to make up coconut milk. I eat it off the spoon or put it in smoothies or coffee.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 00:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris
Tropical Traditions!

I got a gallon of expeller and a gallon of virgin. I use the virgin more but I love coconut in/on everything.

Their coconut oil concentrate can be used to make up coconut milk. I eat it off the spoon or put it in smoothies or coffee.
Hey, Paris, do you know what the difference between coconut milk and coconut oil is... in terms of it's health benefits? If you say that the "coconut oil concentrate" can be used to make coconut milk, then does that mean there is the SAME benefit from drinking the coconut milk as there is with consuming the oil? Of course, the oil is much more concentrated than the milk. But, if this is true, how much milk would one have to drink to equal 1 tbsp of oil? As you probably guessed, I am NUTS about the milk. I will put it in the fridge and get it real cold, then put it in a bowl and sprinkle a ton of cinnamon into it, and dip apple slices or bananas into it, etc. I can't wait to make that smoothie you posted!

Also... does anyone know the difference between "Extra Virgin Cold Pressed" and "Expeller Pressed"? I have seen both at my local HFS and on the Tropical Traditions web site. Both are organic, but differ in price. What else do they differ in?

This is the brand at my HFS Jungle Products Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil

From this web site: "These producers are extremely proud of delivering a product that is beautifully crafted and delivers a living wage to their communities."

The 16oz Jar is regularly $15.49 but currently on sale at $13.99. What do you all think of this, versus TT (expeller or virgin)?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Jan-29-06 at 15:58.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 15:41
Registered Member

OK... I just ordered some TT "Virgin" AND "Expeller Pressed"... and I am going to get that Jungle Products "Extra Virgin Cold Pressed" from my HFS. I will try all these for a comparison.

Would REALLY appreciate more links to other oils that people have tried... recommendations and prices.

Thanks all!

BTW... I wonder if the difference between "Extra Virgin Cold Pressed" and "Expeller Pressed" has to do with live cultures? Does anyone know if the "virgin" has live cultures and the "expeller" does not? Of course these live cultures would be very beneficial to us.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sun, Jan-29-06 at 16:01.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 18:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 141/138/136 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Does coconut oil raise cholesterol?
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 23:34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanab
Does coconut oil raise cholesterol?
Why? Did you want to raise yours a little?

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ch...rol_myth_1.html

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/cholesterol_myths.htm
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 06:44

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

PaleoDeano I'd say that concentrate has all the benefits of the oil, but you are getting the fiber and sugar along with the fat in the concentrate (and milk). I love it, in fact, I mixed a pretty big scoop into my coffee this morning and it's wonderful.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

Question
Wasnt it a few years ago where cocconut oils and all was really a no no
and everyone switched away from it etc
is this the same

today I boiled some chicken breasts
and salt and pepper and put 2 spoon fuls of cocconut oil around it and covered it
and it was soooooo goood
sandi
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 19:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

i got mine from www.netrition.com a 16oz. jar is like 9 bucks. i'm gonna order a gallon. the jar isnt lasting and i only had it for like two days
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 00:17

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

who knows the comparison of the Tropical Traditions VCO and the Netrition VCO??