Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Just" the bar weighs 45 pounds - WAY too much to start with. I suggest starting with NO weight. Take a peek at the first page of my journal. There's a link to my first lifting programme, and some info on how to start squatting. I can squat a LOT of weight, and I go ATF, but it took me a LONG time to get to what I squat now. I started with the Olympic bar, too, and couldn't WALK for three days. I went back and started with 8 pound dumbbells, gradually worked my way up to the 20s, and then made the jump to the bar. I think it took me three months. It took me a YEAR to squat my own weight. Take 'em SLOW, and REALLY work your form. And a bazillion squats/lunges with no weight won't do a whole lot.

An aside: I DO, when I'm power-walking, sometimes do 10-20 walking lunges in the middle of each block. I'm VERY happy with what this is doing to my quads - it's an EXCELLENT dynamic, excentric movement, great preparation for sprinting if you're ever so inclined.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 12:11

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

I'm right there with you guys with the pear shape. I skinner I get the more gaunt my upper body becomes and the bottom stays thick uuuuuggggg!!!! I find if I build my shoulders it helps with the proportions a little. Built. what is the best way to burn fat it I have to work out in the evening? I do about and hour cardio(4-6 days) and 1/2-1 hour of weights(weights 2-3day per week). Cardio is intense like very high impact step class.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 12:27
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, well, you're doing WAY too much cardio, and not enough lifting.

Try lifting heavy weights 4 times a week (45-60 minute sessions) a week, and do half hour sessions of cardio after lifting two days a week, and HIIT two days a week. One day of rest or only low-level cardio (ie go for a walk, but only recreationally).

You need to build up your lats, your delts, your chest, and your biceps to give your upper body size and to balance out your ass. If you do a ton of cardio, this will just eliminate your upper body mass, which you DON'T want.

My .02.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 14:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

thanks for the help. I'm going to try to do more weights. I just love cardio. Another question, what is TDK and is it right for me?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 14:50
Registered Member

BF:

Wean yourself off the extended cardio, or learn to love your body the way it is.

Excessive cardio is catabolic to both muscle and fat - not something you want to do to your body. That's where it's so important to focus on the heavy lifting. Besides, this will burn more fat WHILE building muscle. DEFINITELY something you want to do to your body.

TKD = Targeted Ketogenic Dieting. It's a way of deliberately popping yourself into and out of ketosis for weightlifting training. Drop in my journal if you want me to describe it in more detail.

Cheers!

- Built
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 21:38

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hey Built,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize the darn bar was 45# by itself...I only knew I could barely walk myself the next day.

The lunges and squats I've been doing for about 2 months now...and I've noticed a change in the way my legs look...actually have 2 gaps above and below my still pear shaped thighs!

I know I jumped for joy to see some light of day when I put my legs together! oh gosh..that really does sound vain...but I've been working so hard.

I will stop by your workout log....I definately don't want to keep killing myself with all this cardio of I can get better results ie thinner thighs less cellulite by doing weights.

Well...guess it is time to put down my 3 pound dumbells and pick up some of hubbies! :-)
Thanks so much for your help and support and advice. I feel so blessed to be able to come here and share experiences in weight loss and toning.
zippety
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 21:46
Registered Member

BF:

Take your time working up to the bar. As I said, it really took me a while. Slow and steady is the key here - every couple of workouts, you should be able to lift heavier and heavier dumbbells.

Oh, a little hint: we're broads. We have hips. Hold the dumbbells at your shoulders, as if you're holding a bar. That way your hips won't get in the way.