Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 07:53

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

It's a caliper ... but it is digital. Easier to measure yourself.

Netrition sells them ... link through this site (please?!) from a banner ad to give the site some revenue.

Servers are expenisive, and Mods don't come cheap ... well, yeah they do, but Tamarian deserves the loot.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: carnivorous?
Stats: 212/204/190 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Accumeasure

We must be online at the same time... I was just going to post about my last message, "As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon!"

I should have done some quick research before asking about the accumeasure, it took one quick search on Google to discover just what you most recently replied, that its a digital caliper. I will order through netrition, like you asked.

I checked our your site, too. It is great of you to actually post workouts and everything a person needs right there on the site, without charge. Thats awesome, man. Way to go.

AL
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:42

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL2105
Thanks for your replies. Here goes:

typical day is 50-56% fat/10-14% carbs/20-30% protein. Calorie breakdown is as on prior post, about 2000-2500.

Breakfast: usually 3-4 string cheese, 1/2 an apple, mug of coffee with heavy cream. Couple days a week 2 eggs / 6-8 pieces of bacon. Sometimes 12 oz. tea w/ 1 pack sweet n low

Lunch: always around 6-8 oz of meat (fajita, chicken, sausage, etc) with 1/2 cup beans OR couple slices tomato, an ounce or two of some kind of cheese. 12 oz tea w/ 1 pack sweet n low

After workout EAS Carb Sense, about 150 kcal, 2 grams CHO, 25 grams PRO.

Snack: couple more string cheese / or q pc 100% whole wheat bread 1 tbs peanut butter / and 1 pint whole milk. Will also do 1 cup whole milk after dinner as a snack before bed.

Dinner: another 6-8 oz meat, more tea, maybe another 1/2 cup beans or 1/2 cup broccoli, etc.

My old workouts were weights (45 minutes, 2-3 bodyparts per day, supersets, no breaks between other than to change weights) and cardio the next day for 45 minutes, usually with a 20# weight vest, walk / sprints.

Past week and a half doing 45 minutes hard core calisthenics, sometimes adding an additional 30 min of jump rope / cals morning or night. Take one day off every 4-5 days.

PS somethings that we don't normally count as carbs, such as sweet n low or tea, come out with them in Fitday so thats from where I get my figures. And I always try to over estimate a bit the food I eat and underestimate my workout calories to offset our normal tendency to do just the opposite!

Sorry this post is so long!

i would for sure switch the bread and the milk for something less processed (the bread) and w/o lactose (the milk). if you are eating regular pb, switch to natural, which has no trans fats or added sugar.

have you ever thought about a 70f-25p-5c ratio or 65-30-5? these are my two favourites, if you were wondering.

in my estimation, 2500 cals isn't a bad amount to be cutting on on a keto diet... your BMR is around 2000 cals.

and the flax issue... you need to take in 15 tabs to get the amount of omegas from one Tbsp of the flax oil. i personally take salmon oil because it's omega 3 already and only omega 3 (we get enough 6 & 9 in our diets already, which is in flax oil) and there is no conversion that needs to take place in the body in order to absorb omega 3. just my .02
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default Fat %

Legwarmers,
How do you get your fat % as high as 65-70%? Is it with the oil or something else? I mean I eat the skin on my chicken, the fat on my steak, whole eggs, avocados, etc and it still only comes up to about 50-55% on a good day. As a percentage I understand the fat would naturally be higher if I ate less carbs / protein, but I'm asking because I'd like some other high-fat food suggestions, if you have any.

Do you have no concerns about taking in too much oil, since its usually highly processed, too?

Thanks for the tips.
AL
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 14:26

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Accu-Measures are calipers, and they are way more accurate than bioelectrical impedence devices, if used correctly. I use all sorts of Body-fat measuring devices and the scales fluctuate wildly depending on your natural level of hydration, the time of day, how recently you ate, if you had alcohol, when you last worked out, etc.

I get readings ranging from 18-22% on the scales, and 13-14% when measuring with calipers or tapes.

The calipers are VERY easy to use and much more accurate, if used correctly.

The SlimGuides are also easy calipers to use and some people perfer them over Accu-Measures. Accu-Measures have a patented "Click" function and SlimGuides use a "spring-loaded action" for measuring.

Both cost around $20.00 at most fitness stores.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 14:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default Accumeasure

I already ordered the digital Accumeasure, with the patented body fat calculator

My readings on the Taylor were showing 28-29% Bf.
On the Tanita it gives me about 24-25% Bf.
So I'm guessing I'm around 19-20%. This is close to what I measured last summer when I was in approximately the same condition and same appearance (I let myself go what can I say). My BF last year was measured by three different people, who all came within 1% of each other, so I figured it was pretty accurate.

::: eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Accumeasure ::::
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 17:39

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL2105
Legwarmers,
How do you get your fat % as high as 65-70%? Is it with the oil or something else? I mean I eat the skin on my chicken, the fat on my steak, whole eggs, avocados, etc and it still only comes up to about 50-55% on a good day. As a percentage I understand the fat would naturally be higher if I ate less carbs / protein, but I'm asking because I'd like some other high-fat food suggestions, if you have any.

Do you have no concerns about taking in too much oil, since its usually highly processed, too?

Thanks for the tips.
AL

a lot of my fat comes from monounsaturated sources like olive oil, almonds, natural peanut butter... stuff like that. the saturated fats tend to be from butter and other things containing MCTs. i avoid trans fats like the plague.

what i generally eat overall:

eggs, butter, mozzarella/feta cheese (my guru gave me permission, lol), skinless boneless chicken, natural peanut butter, homemade vinaigrettes made with olive oil, spring mixed greens, almonds, bacon, protein shakes (for postworkout).

no concerns about olive oil since it's good for what ails ya.