Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

MayMay, I'm with Squid on this. Maybe they didn't know honey = sugar to us. My MIL has made that mistake before. "Oh, you can't eat honey???" If that was the case, it probably was not intentional (but, if it was, then I'm sure you'll find ways to subtly get even!). Good luck on your LC journey!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 08:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My sil was very similar. Although she didn't trick me with chicken. She would always make comments on the absurdity of leaving out carbs in a diet. She would sneak an put candy in my purse.

However, the incident with the honey will probably no affect your diet, it was very inconsiderate.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

My SIL did something similar to me a couple of weeks ago. She said she had made a low carb desert for us. Told me that the carb count was 2 grams. I'm diabetic, so I knew very shortly that something was way off. After I got over being mad I told her how high my blood sugar had gotten. She said she was sorry, she accidently used real sugar and didn't think it would matter. I will be very careful next time I eat there.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 08:58

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I don't generally think lying is a good thing to do but I do believe this weight is killing me so I feel justified in what I say - hehehehe.

Tell your family that you tested "insulin resistent" at the doctor's office and that your body will not process complex carbs or sugars correctly......sound mysterious. I do believe that most overweight people are insulin resistent to a degree and I do not hesitate to tell people that....... It does help - a medical condition seems to make sense to them.......

Next time they try such nonsense........scare them to death by throwing up in their living room......they deserve it.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I believe low-carb eating is the healthiest way for everyone, kids included. No, they don't need grains. No one needs grains. We didn't evolve eating grains. We evolved eating protein and fat, with a few nuts and berries thrown in.

That said, children should not be on Induction levels. Induction is meant to correct a problem with insulin resistance, not to be used as a way of life. A maintenance plan would be much more in line for kids. Dr. Michael and Dr. Mary Dan Eades (husband and wife team who wrote the Protein Power books) raised their own children on low-carb eating and they're doing fine.

If we continue to feed our kids all the high-carb foods, they'll end up as we ended up: overweight and unhealthy. I only wish I had stumbled on low-carb eating when I was a whole lot younger. I wouldn't be having the problems I'm having today.

<<stepping off my soapbox now>>
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:26

Stats: 191.2/161.4/140 Female 5' 10"
BF:no clue/28.46%/:)
Progress: 58%

That's so awful May MAy! You know there actually is a psychological behavior that explains that. It's called leveling. When the people who are supposedly close to you see you making positive changes, they realize that your evolving past them. Instead of making changes to their own behavior, to treat you with more respect oftentimes they'll try and knock you down so you stay at their "level". It's a low and petty thing to do,,,I hope they wake up and see the light and use you as an example and not an adversary.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:28

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

what a Beeeetch.... grrrr

I would be very upset too.

You will probably be having cravings and an urge to overeat for a couple days but DO NOT give in and you will be over it in no time!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:31

Stats: 346/339/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Now, ordinarily, I would be giving the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that they didn't tell you the honey was in there before you ate it when you asked the ingredients- all the ingredients, so they told you mustard!- ells me that they knew it wasn't ok for you and they wanted to see how you'd react. Almost like "Well see you slipped up here, might as well not even try anymore."

UGH!

I'm so sorry they did that to you. Now you know you have to take something over there next time.

((hugs)) Good for you for not letting this throw you off.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:54

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree that it might have been deliberate, but then again it might have been truly unintentional.

We have some elderly friends who came to dinner one night. I'm well aware of the fact that she doesn't eat beef or pork, so I made chicken. She's not really a vegetarian, but the next thing to it. (Boy, oh boy, you don't even want to know about the "discussions" we've had about our differing ways of eating!)

Anyway, as an appetizer I made an onion tart (this was before my LC lifestyle). In it were eggs, onions, cream, and the equivalent of maybe 4 slices of bacon, crumbled.

I would have SWORN I was honoring her way of eating. The little bit of bacon didn't even cross my mind! She ate it and raved about it. Then asked what was in it. I told her, and she yelled out "You fed me bacon?!?!?!?!?!"

I apologized profusely and feel bad about it to this day. It was, however, truly unintentional. Stupid, but unintentional.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:57

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

That sucks! I can't believe that people really do things like that. My SIL joke around all the time about what each others eating because she just recently became a vegetarian. But it is all in fun and neither one of us would ever do anything to sabotage each other.

My Mom is doing in WW and whenever we go to eat she tries to tell me how many points are in everything, including what I'm eating. I just say yeah, yeah. She doesn't get the fact that I'm not counting calories. One day we had salads with regular dressing at Denny's and she said she was going to have to have a really small dinner since she had regular dressing. I'm soooo glad I don't have to worry about stuff like that anymore. MIL on the other hand, I have to be very specific about what I can and can't have. She still thinks as long as it is low fat I can have it. So when I go over there I always volunteer to bring a few things so I know that I will be able to eat.

I agree, they knew or at least your SIL knew and just wanted to see your reaction.

Wee
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:09

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

To me, whether or not it throws you off course, really isn't the point (even though I agree, you're probably be okay). It's the underhanded, intentional, deceitfulness from someone that knows how hard you are working that bothers me.

My dh's family often has family get-togethers and they NEVER take into consideration my low carbing, but I always know that upfront. They would never make me think that it's one thing when it's really another.

I'm sorry that you've been disappointed by someone who should be working to help you and not sabotage you.

Best wishes,
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:09

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Well isn't maintenance, when followed the way Dr. A intended, to allow people to slowing adapt to following a Balanced diet, full of veggies, fruit, good fat, protein and some grains??? Maybe I read it completely wrong. I also think children need milk. As well as plenty fruits and veggies....and our closest ancestors, the apes, subsisted on plenty of these.

I also don't think low carbing is THE way for everyone. That is being quite egocentric in my opinion, if I believed that. For some people, this may not be the best choice.

Well maybe we don't need whole grains to survive, but I do not think they are that evil. They are not that bad, our problem is, that we do not know how to eat in moderation. And I think Atkins and other low carb plans "reteach" us how to eat. Of course refined carbs are pretty much crap, but I do not think whole grain foods are bad. Besides the fact, my point was induction being wrong and the child should follow more maintenace levels which DO include all the things mentioned above.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:26

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Forgive me, maybe I am too naive, but I do not think that this was a pre-planned sabotage action against you. Honey-mustard coated chicken a very polpular recipe, it is made with a very small amount of honey/mustard (as Potatofree mentioned, if you did not noticed, it could not be so much), porbably with less carb than the cheese has. I do not think they intentionaly left the honey out from the list of ingredients. I have a feeling, that when they made the dish they did not realized that honey is sugar...

Of course I do not know your relationship with your relatives. I have high carbs relatives, some of them accept my choices, some of them not. I very simply avoid to eat with those who do not respect my preferences. Yes, first they felt insulted, when I refused a dinner invitation, but then they accepted it, and we have had great time together since.
My recommendation: next time surprise them with your own dish:-))

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 11:33.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Galadriell I think is in the right of thinking. Many high carb dieters forget how many carbs are in things and how big a portion is. a tsp of sugar is nothing to them but alot to us. Its a mind set. Many of my friends don't understand that pasta and potatoes are carbs, they think only sugar is. So you need to explain patiently to these folks on what carbs you can't eat are. Be specific.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:50

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

IT's a shame if you can't trust your own blood family!!

I TRULY believe it was intentional...........they waited to tell you until AFTER you ate it, didn't they? I also realize that a lot of people don't understand what is good and what is bad, but that they waited until AFTER you ate it tells me THEY KNEW.

I am sorry!!!
Heidi