Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How often do you cheat?
Never 251 29.53%
Once a day 49 5.76%
More than once a day 21 2.47%
Once per week 300 35.29%
Once per month 229 26.94%
Voters: 850. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 22:36

Plan: Atkin's plus 1200 calorie
Stats: 260/211/160 Female 5'11"
BF:38%/28%/?
Progress: 49%

I have to cheat about every one or two weeks, because it helps me when I stall. I will save a day where I can just indulge on my favorite high carb foods, and once I go back to low-carbing the weight drops off again......so its like mini rewards and something to definately look forward too!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 03:11

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I respect both of your choices. Still, I note that it seems that so many people go off the eating style on a regular basis - for whatever reason - it's almost like CAD - but instead of a period of a day - it's over a month's time. Call it Atkins on a daily basis, but monthly that's CADing. Especially if it's planned. Nothing WRONG with that, just acknowledging the difference/raise awarenesses.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Oh, thank Heavens!

I thought I was the only one. About once every two weeks or so, I get the need for some ice cream. Not Atkins ice cream -- the real magilla. I figured out after this last time that if I want Haagen Dasz, I need to go to the Haagen Dasz shop, buy ONE SCOOP, and take it home to eat (instead of buying the pint in the grocery store).

I'm working on a way to make low carb cookies and cream at home though. Once I've conquered that obstacle, I'll be stylin'!

Other than that, I don't seem to have any trouble resisting carbs, especially since I've discovered soy flour and Atkins baking mix and can have bread and pancakes in small quantities.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:12

BF:
Progress:

Just goes to prove, sometimes we have to be a little "bad" so we can be alot "good"!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:17

BF:

True enough....

The gift now is that once the "bad" is over, there's actually a game plan to go back to be "good". It gives me a feeling of control over my eating and my life I never knew I had.

#21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Cheating

I don't count calories on Friday's (but still adhere strictly to the Atkins plan in all other ways)

Once with every major goal -which has broken down to about once every four months - I have a cheat weekend involving horrible amounts of food I shouldn't eat. . . (though it does take about two weeks to fully recover from those week-ends so they come with a price).

Mike
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:55

BF:
Default You count calories?

I never do. My problem with this diet isn't eating too many calories, but too few....

I have to remind myself to eat snacks and desserts, so I'm getting enough fat and protein.

Gotta go have my chicken cobb salad now... Did I mention that it has avocado, almonds and blue cheese in it? And that I can use REAL salad dressing....

(I love this WOL! )
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Do I eat something other than low carb once in a while? Absolutely, and I make no apologies for it, either. Life is too short to completely wipe out entire food groups forever. On holidays and special occasions (which seem to arise once a month or so) I eat what I want and enjoy myself without guilt, then get right back to my normal way of eating the next day. Remember, it's not eating those high carb foods once in a while that got most of us to where we are; it was eating them several times a day, every day that got us here. Now, if eating those foods causes you to go on a binge that lasts for days, weeks or months, then it's probably best to stick with low carbing all the time, but let's not be too judgmental of those who can enjoy ourselves for just a meal or a day and then return to low-carbing again without a problem for weeks at a time. I may gain a pound or two from indulging myself (water weight), but I always quickly loose it again and it often seems to jump-start my weight loss again if I've been stalled.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 16:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default cheats

nsmith--Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!madpiano-I agree with you and wenderwomen 100%--I do not want to be fat but I want to CHEAT now and again thats make my dieting or way of life whatever you call it more bearable!!!!!! I want to live and have fun with my friends once in a while--cocktails now and than

ciao orsola
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 17:51

BF:
Progress:
Default No breaks needed

Hey, it sounds like you already give yourself breaks, from the strictness of the way of eating...which is fine - for YOU. NOT for me...we're all different. From what I understand "tweaking" this diet is all part of finding a way that works for you. So, go, cheat, and get right back on track if ya can - more power to ya. Cheating for me (planned) doesn't happen. I have enough GOOFs (oh, you mean they put sugar in the coleslaw?) as it is! Who needs cheats when just getting food sugar and flour free out in the world is a challenge in itself!

Low carb & have fun!
Nsmith ---------LOVE all the responses in this thread.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 09:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
nsmith--Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!madpiano-I agree with you and wenderwomen 100%--I do not want to be fat but I want to CHEAT now and again thats make my dieting or way of life whatever you call it more bearable!!!!!! I want to live and have fun with my friends once in a while--cocktails now and than

I suppose we won't be seeing any "I cheated" posts or any "I'm stalled" posts from you then. You've got it all figured out, right from the beginning.

Karen
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 09:39

BF:

Uhhh... after consulting with my attorney, I would like to revise my previous statement that I have in the past cheated. Counsel advises me at this time that the word "cheated" is prejorative, and as such is likely to be unduly incriminating. Hence, I would like to restate that occassionally I engage in an intake of increased levels of carbohydrate in an effort to test my body's ability to withstand such exposure. The random consumption of Haagen Dasz is therefore strictly of a scientific nature, to advance the cause of study in this field.

On the advice of counsel, my ketones have no comment at this time.

No, no... no questions, please.

Thank you.

(<- Sid Birnbaum, my lawyer)

Last edited by AmandaSo : Thu, Oct-11-01 at 09:45.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 09:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Grin

That was excellent!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default cheating

karen I do not think anyone has it all figure out,but I do know If I cut calories and carb I will lose weight. I have no trouble with carbs just the amount of protein I eat. No you will not see any thing about me stalling, cause I will know what to do
orsola
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:29

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Tsk...tsk you ladies...LOL